/* */

PDA

View Full Version : MSN 18 Contacts Hoax

BlissfullyJaded
03-12-2006, 08:45 PM
:sl:

MSN 18 Contacts Hoax
Summary:
Message warns that users will have to pay for MSN and email accounts unless they send the warning to at least 18 contacts.

False

Example: (Submitted, February 2006)
Hello! PLEASE READ THIS!!!

Hey it is Andy and john the directors of MSN, sorry for the interruption but msn is closing down. this is because too many inconsiderate people are taking up all the name (eg making up lots of different accounts for just one person), we only have 578 names left. If you would like to close your account, DO NOT SEND THIS MESSAGE ON. If you would like to keep your account, then SEND THIS MESSAGE TO EVERYONE ON YOUR CONTACT LIST. This is no joke, we will be shutting down the servers. Send it on,

thanks. The use of msn and hotmail will cost money from summer 2006. If you send this message to 18 different people from your list your little icon will become blue and that will make it free for you. If you dont believe me go on (www.msn.com) and see it yourself. Dont foward this message copy paste it so people will actually read it.
Example: (Submitted, September 2005)
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 22:41:43 +0000
On the 1st of november , we will have to pay for the use of our MSN and email accounts unless we send this message to at least 18 contacts on your contact list. It's no joke if you don't believe me then go to the site ( www.msn.com ) and see for yourself.

Anyways once you've sent this message to at least 18 contacts , your msn dude will become blue. please copy and paste don't forward cos people won't take notice of it otherwise plse do it
Commentary:
This hoax message is just one more in a long line of similar hoaxes that warn that MSN is about to start charging for its free services. From time to time, pranksters come up with an updated and equally untrue version of the message that includes a new deadline set a month or so in the future. Another version was circulating in August and early September 2005. Earlier versions have specifically targeted Hotmail users.

If MSN was considering implementing a charge for its standard MSN Messenger and email services, it would certainly not base its decision on how many times a silly message was sent to others. Such claims are simply ridiculous.

The "warning" advises recipients to "go to the site (www.msn.com ) and see for yourself". However, there is nothing on the MSN site that confirms the story in any way.

Like its many predecessors, the message is pure nonsense and should be deleted rather than forwarded

Write-up by Brett M.Christensen
Source

:rollseyes :happy:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
jzcasejz
03-12-2006, 08:47 PM

I would have never fell for these silly emails :rollseyes

Why on earth would MSN use such an unprofessional way of conducting things:? These emails are just plain silly :rant: :giggling:

Rabi'ya
03-12-2006, 08:48 PM
i agree - i get annoyed when people forward them to me *grr*

:w:

Rabi'ya:rose:

Snowflake
03-12-2006, 08:58 PM
lol omg it's so obvious they're fake.. for one formal emails don't say 'this is no joke' and they certainly don't start emails with "hey, it's Andy and John" loolll how silly!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
The Ruler
03-12-2006, 09:02 PM
i dun it once already...:statisfie :statisfie but den after dat...i had to gt anover email addy anyway :offended:

Kittygyal
03-12-2006, 09:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tagrid
i dun it once already...:statisfie :statisfie but den after dat...i had to gt anover email addy anyway :offended:

o poor lil sis;D dun matter

take care

aamirsaab
03-12-2006, 09:44 PM
I will tell you one reason why msn will NEVER ask for payments to use e-mail facility.

As soon as it happens, a large majority of hotmail/msn users will go sign up with yahoo or g-mail. Here is some business logic: why on earth would any company want to get rid of their customers by making them pay for a facility that is offered free? Surely, if anything, they'd want to increase customer loyalty/satisfaction and so not charge or give extra's etc.

MSN will never charge for its e-mail facilities - only for additional space, as there is too much to lose.

The Ruler
03-12-2006, 09:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
I will tell you one reason why msn will NEVER ask for payments to use e-mail facility.

As soon as it happens, a large majority of hotmail/msn users will go sign up with yahoo or g-mail. Here is some business logic: why on earth would any company want to get rid of their customers by making them pay for a facility that is offered free? Surely, if anything, they'd want to increase customer loyalty/satisfaction and so not charge or give extra's etc.

MSN will never charge for it's e-mail facilities - only for additional space, as there is too much to lose.

oooo u got a point....now i gotta forwrd DAT to evry1 in ma contacts list...:happy: :happy:

Kittygyal
03-12-2006, 09:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab

MSN will never charge for it's e-mail facilities - only for additional space, as there is too much to lose.

co0o0l :happy:

take care

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.