PDA

View Full Version : Outspoken MP blasts Imams

Sis786
03-13-2006, 01:32 PM
Outspoken MP blasts Imams

07-03-2006
By Asian Image reporter
Epsom Guardian:

An MP has hit out at Imams who come to Britain from overseas saying they have "little knowledge" of the rights of women and children.

Anne Cryer the Keighley and Ilkley MP is calling for foreign imams to be educated on child-protection issues and the way women are treated in the UK before they come to Britain.

But a leading member of a Council of Mosques said she should learn more about Islam.

Mrs Cryer, said: "Imams should have a knowledge of child protection, of how we regard the rights of women.

"Imams and others should encourage integration as opposed to segregation."

She said some Imams in her own constituency had acted in a way that would not be expected in the UK. She said: "Over many years I have not been given any help by many of the Imams who have been brought in, many of whom don't speak a word of English and have little knowledge of what life in Britain is all about, particularly for their young members.

"I have problems with girls coming to me about parents forcing them into a marriage and when they have gone to see an Imam to get help they have taken the side of the parents.

"We have got to get away from this sort of attitude. We have to help our communities to integrate, to live in cohesion with the rest of our communities.

"I think that some of these Imams coming in, particularly from Mirpur, where there is very little education, are part of the problem rather than the solution."

But Khadim Hussain, of Bradford Council of Mosques, said he believed most Imams and scholars coming to work in England would be already aware of how women and children should be treated.

"The Islamic education already tells you how to behave but the only problem maybe they face is language," he said. "They must have a knowledge about the English language."

Mr Hussain said Mrs Cryer's view that Imams were often siding with parents and forcing a girl to marry was not correct.

"I think she's focusing in the wrong way," he said. "I think she should learn more about Islam."

He said most Imams would not side with parents for the sake of a forced and unwanted marriage. "I believe that he would have given her the right advice," he said.
http://www.epsomguardian.co.uk/news/...ianimage.co.uk

The Muslim News
http://www.muslimnews.co.uk/news/news.php?article=10746

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
mizan_aliashraf
03-13-2006, 01:40 PM
Salam
In a way, i agree with her. There are some imams who act in a way that is completely the opposite of Islam. And especially as she is from Keighley she must have picked up the wrong image of islam and muslims. Before muslims begin condemning her and labelling her i think they should take her words in and see what is going on
Wassalam

Sis786
03-13-2006, 01:47 PM
I agree with you Bro but maybe she should not tarnish every imam with the same brush.

You have imams that come from different countries and they find it difficult to adapt to life here but it has nothing to do with Islam But more to do with tradition and culture.

mizan_aliashraf
03-13-2006, 01:49 PM
Salam
I see what you are saying, but she is not tarring all imams with the same brush. The reason that she has such a negative perception of imams is because the imams that she has seen or heard of do not have the knowledge of subjects such as the rights of women. I have seen such imams myself, they just come over to lead prayers and many a time dont even have enough knowledge to do that.
Wassalam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.