/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Negative perception of Islam increasing

Sis786
03-13-2006, 01:35 PM
Negative perception of Islam increasing
09-03-2006
By Claudia Deane and Darryl Fears

According to a poll conducted by the Washington Post, a large number of Americans have negative view of Islam and believe Muslims are disproportionately prone to Islam. This should be of major concern to the Musims. The reason for such perceptions may be due to the negative portrayal of Muslims and Islam in the American media. We publish below the full report.

Washington Post:

As the war in Iraq grinds into its fourth year, a growing proportion of Americans are expressing unfavorable views of Islam, and a majority now say that Muslims are disproportionately prone to violence, according to a new Washington Post-ABC News poll.

The poll found that nearly half of Americans -- 46 percent -- have a negative view of Islam, seven percentage points higher than in the tense months after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, when Muslims were often targeted for violence.

The survey comes at a time of increasing tension; the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq show little sign of ending, and members of Congress are seeking to block the Bush administration's attempt to hire an Arab company to manage operations at six of the nation's ports. Also, Americans are reading news of deadly protests by Muslims over Danish cartoons depicting the prophet Muhammad.

Conservative and liberal experts said Americans' attitudes about Islam are fueled in part by political statements and media reports that focus almost solely on the actions of Muslim extremists.

According to the poll, the proportion of Americans who believe that Islam helps to stoke violence against non-Muslims has more than doubled since the attacks, from 14 percent in January 2002 to 33 percent today.

The survey also found that one in three Americans have heard prejudiced comments about Muslims lately. In a separate question, slightly more (43 percent) reported having heard negative remarks about Arabs. One in four Americans admitted to harboring prejudice toward Muslims, the same proportion that expressed some personal bias against Arabs.

Though the two groups are often linked in popular discourse, most of the world's Muslims are not of Arab descent. For example, the country with the largest Muslim population is Indonesia.

As a school bus driver in Chicago, Gary McCord, 65, dealt with many children of Arab descent. "Some of the best families I've ever had were some of my Muslim families," he said in a follow-up interview. "They were so nice to me." He now works for a Palestinian Christian family, whose members he says are "really marvelous."

But his good feelings do not extend to Islam. "I don't mean to sound harsh or anything, but I don't like what the Muslim people believe in, according to the Koran. Because I think they preach hate," he said.

As for the controversial cartoons of Muhammad, he said Arabs seem hypersensitive about religion. "I think it's been blown out of proportion," he said.

Frederick Cole, a welder in Roosevelt, Utah, acknowledged: "As far as being prejudiced against them, I'd have to say maybe a little bit. If I were to go through an airport and I saw one out of the corner of my eye, I'd say, 'I wonder what he's thinking.' " Still, Cole, 30, said, "I don't think the religion is based on just wanting to terrorize people."

A total of 1,000 randomly selected Americans were interviewed March 2-5 for this Post-ABC News poll. The margin of sampling error for the overall results is plus or minus three percentage points.

Americans who said they understood Islam were more likely to see the religion overall as peaceful and respectful. But they were no less likely to say it harbors harmful extremists, and they were also no less likely to have prejudiced feelings against Muslims.

In Gadsden, Ala., Ron Hardy, an auto parts supplier, said Arabs own a lot of stores in his area and "they're okay." But, Hardy, 41, said "I do think" Islam has been "hijacked by some militant-like guys."

Edward Rios, 31, an engineer in McHenry, Ill., said he feels that Islam "is as good a religion as any other" yet vengeance seems to be "built into their own set of beliefs: If someone attacks our people, it is your duty to defend them. . . . I don't think Christianity has anything like that."

James J. Zogby, president of the Washington-based Arab American Institute, said he is not surprised by the poll's results. Politicians, authors and media commentators have demonized the Arab world since 2001, he said.

"The intensity has not abated and remains a vein that's very near the surface, ready to be tapped at any moment," Zogby said. "Members of Congress have been exploiting this over the ports issue. Radio commentators have been talking about it nonstop."

Juan Cole, a professor of modern Middle Eastern and South Asian history at the University of Michigan, agreed, saying Americans "have been given the message to respond this way by the American political elite, mass media and by select special interests."

Cole said he was shocked when a radio talk show host asked him if Islamic extremists would set off a nuclear bomb in the United States in the next six months. "It was ridiculous. I think anti-Arab racism and profiling has become respectable," he said.

Ronald Stockton, a professor of political science at the University of Michigan at Dearborn who helped conduct a study of Arabs in the Detroit area and on views of them held by non-Arabs, said an exceptionally high percentage of non-Muslims feels the media depicts Arabs unfairly, yet still holds negative opinions.

"You're getting a constant drumbeat of negative information about Islam," he said.

Michael Franc, vice president of government relations for the conservative Heritage Foundation, said that the survey responses "seems to me to be a real backlash against Islam" and that congressional leaders do not help the problem by sometimes using language that links all Muslims with extremists.

Polling director Richard Morin contributed to this report.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...0802221_2.html

The Muslim News
http://www.muslimnews.co.uk/news/news.php?article=10754

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Iceee
06-30-2013, 04:06 AM
It's been 7 years since this post, and this continues :(

greenhill
06-30-2013, 05:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sis786
According to a poll conducted by the Washington Post, a large number of Americans have negative view of Islam and believe Muslims are disproportionately prone to Islam. This should be of major concern to the Musims.
I like the way it says .....'and believe Muslims are disproportionately prone to islam' :D. Should it be different? I guess what is meant to be said is something else, surely?

It is like saying football or soccer (depending where you are from) promotes hate and violence because of over passionate fans. Not all fans are violent, if fact it is the minority, but entire club can be sanctioned by these 'professional hooligans' who probably do not support the team in the first place.

glo
06-30-2013, 01:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iceee
I wonder if perceptions have changed since then. Fort the better or for the worse?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
greenhill
06-30-2013, 01:24 PM
Some for the better, some for the worse? :?

glo
06-30-2013, 01:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by greenhill
Some for the better, some for the worse? :?
Probably. We just have to keep working at it. :)

sister herb
06-30-2013, 02:02 PM
Are atheists "disproportionately prone" for they believes? Jews? Christians?

;D

glo
06-30-2013, 06:27 PM

I like the way it says .....'and believe Muslims are disproportionately prone to islam' :D. Should it be different? I guess what is meant to be said is something else, surely?
That looks like a typo (or a mis-copy-and-paste) to me. The actual article further down states:

format_quote Originally Posted by Sis786
Muslims are disproportionately prone to violence
Now, that is a cause for concern. :hmm:

Aprender
06-30-2013, 07:46 PM
Not really concerned that non-Muslims have a negative perception of Islam. We should worry less about what non-Muslims think and work on changing ourselves to submit fully to Allah and make dua to get this Ummah back on the right track. Enough with the moping and apologetics.

crimsontide06
06-30-2013, 09:29 PM
I have had a few friends...both guys and girls, who I was friends with for a while. All of them were really sweet to me and kind, but when they figured out I was muslim...that was it, friendship over :/ Then on it has been nothing but bitter coldness whenever I see any of them in public. :cry:

Aprender
06-30-2013, 11:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crimsontide06
that was it, friendship over :/ Then on it has been nothing but bitter coldness whenever I see any of them in public.
No need to cry. They don't seem to be losing any tears over you. You'll make newer, better friends in shaa Allah. I wouldn't want to hang out with intolerant people of any type. Besides, what they think of you matters not. What you have gained by becoming Muslim is far better than any form of companionship that a human being could provide. We should be focused on improving our character and pleasing Allah. Allah tells us in the Quran:

[14:7] And [remember] when your Lord proclaimed, 'If you are grateful, I will surely increase you [in favor]; but if you deny, indeed, My punishment is severe.' "

crimsontide06
07-01-2013, 01:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aprender
No need to cry. They don't seem to be losing any tears over you. You'll make newer, better friends in shaa Allah. I wouldn't want to hang out with intolerant people of any type. Besides, what they think of you matters not. What you have gained by becoming Muslim is far better than any form of companionship that a human being could provide. We should be focused on improving our character and pleasing Allah. Allah tells us in the Quran:

[14:7] And [remember] when your Lord proclaimed, 'If you are grateful, I will surely increase you [in favor]; but if you deny, indeed, My punishment is severe.' "
Thanks, I am actually American-Arab, and was already muslim.. I just do not look it, I am as white as a sheep lol.

GodIsAll
07-01-2013, 03:35 AM

It is like saying football or soccer (depending where you are from) promotes hate and violence because of over passionate fans. Not all fans are violent, if fact it is the minority, but entire club can be sanctioned by these 'professional hooligans' who probably do not support the team in the first place.
The same thing crossed my mind...

Ali Mujahidin
07-01-2013, 03:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iceee
I am afraid 7 years from now, it will still be the same. Unless we start doing something about it now.

Alright, mi amigos, hang on to your seats because I am about say something which may unsettle some people.

The way I see it, there is no such thing as the silent majority. If you see something that is wrong and you keep quiet about it, you are actually giving support to the very thing which is wrong. Specifically, if you see something which is happening and you know for sure that it wrong from the viewpoint of Islam, and you keep quiet about it, then you are actually guilty of abetting that wrong with your silence.

So, my brothers and sisters in Islam, it's high time for us to stand up and speak up. I don't mean that you have to go parading through the streets waving placards and signs. Just speak up wherever you are. To whoever is prepared to listen. Let it be known in no uncertain terms that Islam is not what they see depicted in the popular media. Muslims are very definitely not prone to violence.

And more than that, stand up and take your place in society as a practicing Muslim. I don't mean go around exhorting everyone to grow beards and wear kurtas. I am talking about practicing Islam as a participating member of the community you live in. We know that, for example, Islam enjoins kindness. So let's go out there and make this kindness evident and apparent. Be kind to your neighbors on the right. Be kind to the neighbors on your left. Be kind to your neighbors across the road. Be kind to your neighbors on the street behind your house.

And do the same thing with the other virtues of Islam. Don't just do it for your fellow Muslims. Your neighbors are your neighbors even if they are not Muslims. I remember that it is said that your iman is not considered to be in good order if one of your neighbors go to bed on an empty stomach. And your neighbors include 40 houses to the left, 40 houses to the right, 40 houses to the front and 40 houses to the back.

greenhill
07-01-2013, 12:32 PM
Some people can accept that they had misconceived ideas about islam, and some people just won't. They are so set in their beliefs that it is almost pointless to have any 'debate' with them.

On whether the negative perception is increasing or not, I am not too sure as it works both ways, only what we often hear about are the negative implications. On this site I have come across several members saying that they the negative portrayal of islam in the media lead them to do their own research on the Deen to find out for themselves the true nature and message rather than to accept what the media says carte blanche. That should be taken into account, I believe.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.