/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A Gesture Of Love

sonz
03-16-2006, 01:11 PM
The parents of a Palestinian boy killed by Israeli soldiers have donated his organs to three Israeli children.

Ahmad Khatib, 12, was carrying a toy rifle when he was gunned down on Thursday in the West Bank town of Jenin.

The soldiers, who were conducting a raid, had mistaken him for a militant.

The boy died on Sunday but three Israeli girls underwent surgery to receive his lungs, heart and liver.

Ahmad's father Ismail Khatib said the decision to donate the organs was influenced by the fact his 24-year-old brother died while waiting for a liver transplant.

Mr Khatib hoped the gesture would send a message of peace to Israelis and Palestinians.

He said: "In our religion, God allows us to give organs to another person and it doesn't matter who the person is."

The father of 12-year-old Samah Gadban, who had been waiting five years for a heart, called the donation a "gesture of love."

Riad Gadban said: "I want to thank him (Mr Khatib) and his family. With their gift, I would like for them to think that my daughter is their daughter."

The Schneider Children's Medical Centre in Israel reported that a 14-year-old Jewish girl has received Ahmad's lungs and a seven-month-old girl was given his liver.

Israel has a chronic shortage of donor organs that many medical officials attribute to Jewish religious taboos against such donations.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Eric H
03-16-2006, 07:22 PM
Greetings and peace sonz,

This has to be your best story so far.

What an amazing gift, I can only think that God has blessed this Palestinian father with a great heart.

This has to be one enormous symbol of peace and reconciliation, and it needs huge publicity in both Israel and Palestine.

In the spirit of hoping for peace

Eric

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.