/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hindi vs Urdu

Believer5
03-16-2006, 05:39 PM
:sl:

meray paas aik sawaal hai. woh muslimaan jo india may rehte hai (zAk aur sanobar) aap apni zabaan ko urdu kehte hai yaa hindi?

do indian muslims call their language hindi or urdu? and wat kinda differences are there between the two?

shukrya

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ridaa_islam
03-17-2006, 02:56 PM
askm sis,
me too indian...an we talk urdu...urdu is the original version of the language, but aftr independence a new script was evolved wich ws referrd to as devnagiri script and the spoken lang was called hindi...dats d history of our lang :)

ridaa_islam
03-17-2006, 02:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zAk
n as they say BOLLYWOOD...as a hindi film industry.
but nothings hindi in it. its pureeeee urdu :-\
absolutely true...n they claim its hindi...
:-\

khaledmm123
03-17-2006, 03:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ridaa_islam
absolutely true...n they claim its hindi...
:-\
:sl: yes in hindi news also gernally they use urdu words:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
itsme01
03-17-2006, 05:02 PM
Difference between Hindi and Urdu
- Few words (hindi takes some words from Sanskirit)
- Script (Major Difference)
- Urdu sounds more polite

Goku
03-17-2006, 07:23 PM
Urdu sounds better than hindi where they have differences. And Urdu script is also better. :)

Believer5
03-17-2006, 10:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ridaa_islam
askm sis, me too indian
lol, sorry i don't know many members on here

anyway thanks for the replies every1

:w:

afriend
03-17-2006, 10:35 PM
LOL

I was just strangley baffled on the Name of this thread......

But how wud u say good boy in Hindi and in Urdu?

snakelegs
03-18-2006, 07:11 AM
is it true that before partition urdu was spoken no where within the borders of present day pakistan?

snakelegs
03-18-2006, 07:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Goku
And Urdu script is also better. :)
i disagree. i am told that when you read a word in devanagari script you know exactly what it sounds like. (i can't read devanagari) also the arabic script is not all that well suited to an indo-european language.

ridaa_islam
03-18-2006, 11:09 AM
i've said dis before, n im saying it again, n i'll continue to say dis forever inshallah...urdu is an extremely elegant language, right from the phonetic sounds to the word compositions, sentence sequences n language rhythm...it SOUNDS so eloquent too...others just dont compare...:>

hidaayah
03-18-2006, 12:28 PM
:sl:
is it true that before partition urdu was spoken no where within the borders of present day pakistan?
no its not...
i think spoken urdu and hindi are one and the same thing..just with a difference of few words..
the muslims used to write in farsi or maybe arabic script and hindus write it in the devangiri script..thats the basic difference...so thats y urdu is in pak and hindi in india..

wassalam

snakelegs
03-18-2006, 09:16 PM
you probably don't realise it because you've heard urdu all your lives. i am teaching myself and the only urdu i generally get to hear is in music. so if i look at an urdu word, i can't tell for sure how to say it - for example, what the vowels are. i have some audio learning cassettes and they have helped, but often when i encounter a new word, i have no idea what it should sound like. i've heard that devanegari is very specific, that you know exactly how to say the word by looking at it.
i agree wholeheartedly - urdu is a beautiful language. (which is why i'm trying to learn it). i have also read that since partition urdu and hindi are gradually becoming different.
i have another question - the specific version of the arabic script that is used in pakistan - where did it originate? is it used in any other country besides pakistan and india? the farsi i've seen doesn't look like that (but i've only seen it on the web). i think it looks cool, but i have a hard time reading it sometimes, compared to the script used by bbc urdu for example.
hmmm. so it's not true that urdu is not native to the land that is now pakistan? the main languages would've been punjabi, pashto, baluchi sindhi...and urdu? what part of pakistan was urdu native to?
well, i guess that's enough questions! thanks.

hidaayah
03-19-2006, 02:20 AM
The history of Urdu/Hindi

Urdu/Hindi belong to the Indo-Iranian branch of the Indo-European family of languages.

'Urdu' comes from the Persian zaban-e-urdu-e-mu'alla (language of the imperial court), a gloss which gives important clues to its history. Originally it was one of the languages spoken in the Hindi region of India. During the sixteenth century, however, large areas of India fell under the rule of Muslims whose language and culture were predominantly Persian. While the structure of Urdu remained essentially Indian, the vocabulary was greatly influenced by Persian. Urdu spread all over India through administrative structures, army encampments and bazaars.

The linguistic status of Urdu/Hindi has been the subject of fierce debate. Some argue that they be treated as the same language; others that they should be treated separately on the grounds of differences in vocabulary and word order.
source: BBC

and if u can read urdu then here's one more link..has got more detail:
http://www.urdupoint.com/adab/histor...-tareekh.shtml

ridaa_islam
03-19-2006, 05:32 AM
well iguess i shud correct my mistake...else i'll hav made a 'historical' error...
:X ;D
i shud'v said, devnagiri script was "officially recognized" as d first lang of india aftr independence....

n i s'pose bro snakelegs is havin probs becoz urdu doesnt use overt markers-the e'raab-which u see in hindi...i think dats y a lot f ppl find it easier to read hindi...

but if u'r familiar with the language, its pretty easy to start reading going by ur instinct for vocab...me, im an urdu speaker but i started on my literacy skills at 11yrs, n immediately aftr dat i had "ibnul waqt" at skool...a political novel on the early freedom movement in india...:heated: but i got thru...n alhamdulillah im a great fan of iqbal today...:)

snakelegs
03-19-2006, 05:34 AM
thanks, sister, for the info and the link!

waji
03-20-2006, 06:01 AM
Asalam u Alikum
app subh nay bilkul teekh khaha lakin shayad app bhol gay kay urdu aik lashkari(means many language) zaban hay mutlab yeh kah urdu buhat see Zabano ka murakab(mixture) hay iss zaban main app ko arabic, persion, sanskirat kay alfaaz kafi miqdar main milain gay yah aik waja hay kay app urdu main kafi aur zabanoo kay alfaz bhi istimal karlaitain hain
yeh aik bardee khubee hay urdu ki
wasay urdu main ju shaiyri hoti hay us ka jawab nahi
Walikum as Salam

Sanobar
03-20-2006, 06:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by zAk
of course URDU.

well atleast Hyderabad mein to Urdu raaij hai :)errrrrm its a mixed lang rather.

even the non muslims r gud urdu speakers :)

but the general public[non muslims] tho call it hindi... but uses urdu words too.
diff ?
well some words differ... but generally its almost the same when it comes to speaking.
i agree with this one...i mean in hyderabad we speak both hindi and urdu.. its a complete mixx....its neva only urdu or hindi....if one starts speaking hindi only..with out any urdu then its like very diff to understand! and the sames with urdu! so when urdu and hindi mix up... its easier to understand! :) :) so we speak both urdu hindi! :lol:
:w:

afriend
04-25-2006, 07:57 PM
Hmmm.......

Come to think about it......

VERSUS????

It sounds more like a lingual war.....:( :rant: :mad:

Maybe we cud hav the name of the thrad changed?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.