/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping after Fajr prayer

vpb
03-20-2006, 11:07 AM
is it allowed to go back to sleep after perfoming Fajr prayer on time?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
03-20-2006, 11:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by vpb
is it allowed to go back to sleep after perfoming Fajr prayer on time?
brother i see no reason why not, it is fard to perform the prayer therefore you MUST get up for it but if you do not want to pray more after its up2u. However i find it best to wake up an hour before fajr to pray tahajjud for when you pray tahajjud Allah descends into the lowest heaven to hear who is repenting or asking nething of him so that he may concede to there request! (sahih bukhari), so inshaAllah if u wish to do extra do that :)

vpb
03-20-2006, 11:16 AM
is Tahajjud prayer considered at 11:00 PM at night too? because usually before I go to sleep I perform a 2 rakat prayer (at about 11 PM)?

IbnAbdulHakim
03-20-2006, 11:20 AM
is Tahajjud prayer considered at 11:00 PM at night too? because usually before I go to sleep I perform a 2 rakat prayer (at about 11 PM)?
tahajjud is at the third part of the night, so i wud say from 2-6AM

lol bro i really doubt your tahajjud prayer would get accepted at 11PM but Allahu Allam... but i doubt it :)

:sl:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IbnAbdulHakim
03-20-2006, 11:25 AM
hah, if I wake half an hour before fajr, then I would not hesitate to pray tahajjud,fajr and sunraise . :D
lol thats what i do, inshaAllah may Allah give you the strength and iman to perform this task!

lol bro trus me i set my alarm to 3am and end up wakin up at 4 after snoozing 3-4 times lol, its so hard to get uP!!! but Alhamdulilah Allah gives me the strength i need and i manage it ;D

vpb
03-20-2006, 11:26 AM
I got another question, is there any problem if I want to pray a 2 rakat prayer or 4 at any part of day/night just because I want to,(ex. I dont have anything to do and I got free time)?

IbnAbdulHakim
03-20-2006, 11:26 AM
I got another question, is there any problem if I want to pray a 2 rakat prayer or 4 at any part of day/night just because I want to,(ex. I dont have anything to do and I got free time)?
not at all :)

itsme01
03-20-2006, 11:27 AM
Prophet [PBUH] used to pray at night.
That does not mean at 11PM!

Lets take the time zone for Madina:

Isha Prayer is at 8:03PM

Therefore, One can assume that he prayed until 10 MAX, and went to bed. (plz keep in mind that during those days there was no electricity - and supplies for Muslim Ummah was limited)

Fajr Prayer is at 5:05AM

The Prophet then got up at night (one may assume 3 o'clock or so) and prayed.

The rest can be read in the following Hadith:

Aswad Ibn Yazeed - reported from Aa'isha (Radhiallaahu Anhu) that the Prophet (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) spent his nights in prayer. She said, 'We slept during the first part of the night, then the Prophet (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) woke up and prayed. After the prayers, we enjoyed sexual relations if we so desired. When he heard the adhaan (call for morning prayer) he took the ceremonial bath by pouring water over himself. Otherwise, he performed only the ablution (wudhoo). Then he left home to pray in the Mosque.' (Bukhaari)

note: the timing is just a guess

vpb
03-20-2006, 11:28 AM
one day I got up 15 minutes before Fajr prayer , cuz usually I need about 10 minutes to do ablution, and when I got finished I went to see the clock, and it was like 7 minutes after the starting of Fajr, and I was wondering , did I go back to sleep or what? how did those minutes go? lol

shanu
03-20-2006, 11:31 AM
Salam bro
u can sleep, as long as u completeed the fard prayer well. I have a question everyone ? IS Nawafil salatul ishraaq and Nawafil Saalatul duha the same???

shanu
03-20-2006, 11:33 AM
Lol bro were u doing ablution or sleeping?? U guys are funny lol
I take also arnd 5 to 8 mins to do ablution, smtimes wen i get home late from werk, and asar is gonna end, i have to quicken my ablution so i can pray finish asar

IbnAbdulHakim
03-20-2006, 11:34 AM
hmm tahajjud can not be performed once fajr begins right? :? like say the time for fajr has come, can u quikly do 2-10 rakaat nawaffil then do fajr?

shanu
03-20-2006, 11:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pr4sE
hmm tahajjud can not be performed once fajr begins right? :? like say the time for fajr has come, can u quikly do 2-10 rakaat nawaffil then do fajr?
No dear bro
u cant
The best time to do tahajjud is before fajr, e.g 5am or 4am. Its the best as Allah will grant ur prayers as he will be at the Lowest heaven at this time. So its better to pray at this time. U cant do it at fajr time. However there is 2 rakaah sunnah b4 fajr, and Prophet mohammed said that this prayer is better than this world

But bro, i only do 2 rakaah, as truthfully i dunno how to do 4 rakaah nawafil? or 8 rakaah? How do i do this
Do i do 2 rakaah by 2 rakaah, and at the end of every two rakaah i say the salaam, and get up to pray the next set of 2 rakaah, and wat intention do i make in the start? Do i say"im making e.f 4 rakaah" and after each 2 rakaah, i get up and do the next 2 rakaah without doing another intention?

Muhammad
03-20-2006, 11:52 AM

Question :
As-salamu alaikun,
I would like to know if there is any verdict concerning sleeping after fajr salat? (subuh)
Shukran. Jazakukmul-lahu khairan.
Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

As far as a person’s sleeping after praying Fajr is concerned, no text (of Qur’aan or hadeeth) has been reported to indicate that this is prohibited, so the general principle applies (i.e., everything is permitted except that which has been expressly forbidden).

But the practice of the Prophet

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and his Companions after praying Fajr was to remain sitting in the place where they had prayed until the sun rose, as is reported in Saheeh Muslim (1/463) in the hadeeth of Sammaak ibn Harb, who said: “I asked Jaabir ibn Samurah, ‘Did you used to sit with the Messenger of Allaah?’ He said, ‘Yes, frequently. He would not get up from the place where he had prayed Subh until the sun rose. When the sun rose, he would get up. They used to talk about things that had happened during the Jaahiliyyah, and they would laugh and smile.’”

Also, the Prophet

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) asked his Lord to bless his ummah in the mornings, as is reported in the hadeeth of Sakhr al-Ghaamidi, who said: “The Messenger of Allaah

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “O Allaah, bless my ummah in the mornings.’ Whenever he sent out troops or an army, he would send them at the beginning of the day.’” Sakhr was a trader, and he used to send out his caravans at the beginning of the day, and he did well as a result and made money.” (Reported by Abu Dawood, al-Tirmidhi and Ibn Maajah, with an isnaad in which there is some jahaalah (i.e., one narrator is unknown); corroborating evidence is to be found in a hadeeth narrated by ‘Ali, Ibn ‘Umar, Ibn ‘Abbaas, Ibn Mas’ood and others, may Allaah be pleased with them all.)

For this reason some of the salaf disliked the idea of sleeping after Fajr. Ibn Abi Shaybah reported in his Musannaf (5/222, no. 25442) with a saheeh isnaad from ‘Urwah ibn al-Zubayr that he said: “Al-Zubayr used to forbid his children to sleep in the morning.” ‘Urwah said: “I do not hear of any man who sleeps in the morning, but I lose interest in that person.”

In summary then, people should make the most of this time which can bring many benefits in this world and in the Hereafter, but if a person sleeps at this time to gain strength to do his work, there is nothing wrong with this, especially if it is not easy for him to sleep at any other time of the day. Ibn Abi Shaybah reported in his Musannaf (5/223, no. 25454) from the hadeeth of Abu Yazeed al-Madeeni who said: “Umar came to Suhayb one morning and found him sleeping, so he sat down until he woke up. Suhayb said: ‘The Ameer al-Mu’mineen is sitting in his place and Suhayb is sleeping!’ ‘Umar said to him: ‘I did not like to disturb your sleep that could be beneficial for you.’”

As for sleeping after ‘Asr, this is also permitted; there is no saheeh hadeeth from the Prophet

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to indicate that sleeping at this time is prohibited.

As for the words, “Whoever sleeps after ‘Asr and loses his mind as a result has no-one to blame but himself,” which are attributed to the Prophet

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), this is a false hadeeth and there is no proof that these words were uttered by the Prophet

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). See: Silsilat al-Da’eefah, no. 39.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid (www.islam-qa.com)
These might also be of help, Insha'Allaah:

Question #12782: Renewing wudoo’ before going to sleep

Question #21216: Guidelines of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) concerning sleep

:w:

------
03-20-2006, 11:54 AM
As for the words, “Whoever sleeps after ‘Asr and loses his mind as a result has no-one to blame but himself,” which are attributed to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), this is a false hadeeth and there is no proof that these words were uttered by the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). See: Silsilat al-Da’eefah, no. 39.
Hmm...............:?

shanu
03-20-2006, 11:59 AM
Salaat al-Duha or Salaat al-Awwaabeen

Tafsir of Surah Ad-Duha 93.1 Narrated by Ibn Abi Laila: "Only Umm Hani told us that she has seen the Prophet (saw) offering the Duha (Forenoon prayer) She said, 'On the day of conquest of Mecca, the Prophet (saw) took a bath in my house and offered eight raka'at. I never saw him praying such a light prayer but he performed perfect prostrations and bowings'" (Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol.2, Hadith No. 207A)

Narrated Abu Huraira: "My friend (the Prophet saw) advised me to observe three things: 1) to fast 3 days a month; 2) to pray two raka'at of duha (forenoon prayer); and 3) to pray witr before sleeping. (Sahih al-Bukhari Vol.3, Hadith No.202)

"From Zayd ibn Arqam who said: ‘The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) went out to the people of Qubaa’ and found them praying. He said: "Salaat al-Awwaabeen is when the young camels lift up their feet (because of the heat of the sand)."’" (Reported by Muslim, 1238).

According to a report narrated by Imaam Ahmad from Zayd ibn Arqam, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came to or entered the mosque at Qubaa’ after the sun had risen, and found the people there praying. He said: "Salaat al-Duhaa should be prayed when the young camels lift up their feet (because of the heat of the sand)."

According to a report narrated by Muslim from al-Qaasim al-Shaybaani, Zayd ibn Arqam saw some people praying Duhaa and said: "Do they not know that praying at some other time than this is better? The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘Salaat al-Awwaabeen is when the young camels lift up their feet (because of the heat of the sand).’" (Saheeh Muslim, 1237).

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: "The phrase ‘Salaat al-Awwaabeen is when the young camels lift up their feet (because of the heat of the sand)’ refers to when the sand becomes unbearably hot from the sun’s heat, and burns the soles of the young camels’ feet, so they alternately raise and lower their feet in response to the heat of the sand. ‘Al-Awwaab’ means one who is obedient, or one who turns to obedience. The hadeeth also refers to the best time to offer this prayer, although it is permissible to pray it any time after the sun has risen and before it reaches its zenith." (Sharh Muslim li‘l-Nawawi). And Allaah knows best.

Dear brother, the best time for the Duha prayer im talking abt is forenoon, i know abt the after maghrib,but what im confused is abt why do they all have the same names :'(

Muhammad
03-20-2006, 12:07 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Pagal Kuri
Hmm...............:?
It is just clarifying that it is a false saying and therefore is not true.

abdul Majid
03-20-2006, 08:17 PM
Volumn 002, Book 021, Hadith Number 274.
-----------------------------------------
Narated By Abu Huraira : My friend (the Prophet) advised me to do three things and I shall not leave them till I die, these are: To fast three days every month, to offer the Duha prayer, and to offer Witr before sleeping.

Volumn 002, Book 021, Hadith Number 228.
-----------------------------------------
Narated By 'Aisha : Allah's Apostle used to give up a good deed, although he loved to do it, for fear that people might act on it and it might be made compulsory for them. The Prophet never prayed the Duha prayer, but I offer it.

so basically you dont have to, but you can

abdul Majid
03-20-2006, 08:29 PM
Praise be to Allaah.

Ishraaq (“ishrak”) prayer is Duha (“chast”) prayer offered at the beginning of its time. These are not two different prayers. It is called Ishraaq because it is done immediately after sunrise (shurooq) when the sun has risen to a certain height.

Shaykh Ibn Baaz said:

Ishraaq prayer is Duha prayer done at the beginning of its time.

Majmoo’ Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn Baaz, 11/401

The time of Duha prayer is from the time when the sun has risen to a certain height, until just before the time for Zuhr prayer.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen defined it as being from a quarter of an hour after the sun has risen until ten minutes before Zuhr prayer.

Al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 4/122

So all of this period is the time for Duha prayer.

It is better to pray it after the sun’s heat has become intense, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “It is preferable to offer Duha prayer when the sun’s heat has become so intense that even the young of the camels feel it.”

Narrated by Muslim, 748

Ibn Baaz: Majmoo’ Fataawa, 11/395

The scholars defined this as being when one quarter of the day has passed, i.e., halfway between sunrise and Zuhr prayer.

See al-Majmoo’ by al-Nawawi, 4/36; al-Mawsoo’ah al-Fiqhiyyah, 27/224 .

Islam Q&A (www.islam-qa.com)

vpb
03-21-2006, 12:11 AM
shanu, well I can make ablution for 2 minutes if I want to :D lol, but I think the essence of ablution is to clean yourself very good, so I think 10 minutes is enough for me :)

shanu
03-21-2006, 10:17 PM
Yes thats true
most of my ablution time is taken by the Miswaak, and washing my feet. Umar RA has said "Save ur heels from hellfire" so i rub my feet and in between its toes real well, lol. Furthermore, ladies need not go for pedicure anymore, this rubbing da feet process softens the feet and keeps it clean, Imagine if u clean several times a day, no need for pedicures lol

syilla
06-11-2007, 01:57 AM
:salamext:

Does islam discourage continue ones sleep after fajr?

wassallam

taimur_9000
06-11-2007, 11:29 AM

Sleeping after Fajr and `Asr Prayers

Question:

As-Salamu `alaykum! I am a medical student and sometimes I go to bed after 2:00 a.m. Therefore, after I offer Fajr Prayer, I feel tired and go to sleep. Please tell me the ruling on sleeping after Fajr Prayer; is it haram (forbidden) or makruh (disliked)? Actually I don't like to sleep after Fajr, but I need to know the correct ruling if I face it. Also what about sleeping after `Asr Prayer? Jazaka Allah khayran.

Answer:

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear brother in Islam, we are greatly pleased to receive your question, which shows the confidence you place in us. May Allah reward you abundantly for your interest in knowing the teachings of Islam!

First of all, we invoke Allah to grant you success in your studies and help you to become a successful Muslim doctor who benefits Islam and Muslims. Ameen.

As for the question you raised, you should know that there is nothing wrong in sleeping after Fajr, particularly if you feel tired because of studying at night. However, it was the practice of the Prophet and his Companions not to sleep after Fajr, as it is a time of blessing. Although it is permissible to spend the night in studying and to sleep after Fajr, we advise you to try to sleep early and study after Fajr, as it is a time of blessings and can better help you concentrate in your study. The blessing does not merely mean blessing in money and sustenance but it can be in knowledge as well as health, etc. Doing so, you will also be able to pray Fajr on time and never miss it due to late sleeping.

As for sleeping after `Asr, there is no evidence in the Qur’an or authentic hadith to prohibit it; and hence the general rule of permissibility of sleeping at these times is applicable.

Elaborating on this we’d like to cite for you the following Fatwa issued by Sheikh M. S. Al-Munajjid, a prominent Saudi Muslim lecturer and author, who states:

“As far as a person’s sleeping after praying Fajr is concerned, no text (of Qur’an or Sunnah) has been reported to indicate that this is prohibited, so the general principle applies (i.e., everything is permitted except that which has been expressly forbidden).

But the practice of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) and his Companions after praying Fajr was to remain sitting in the place where they had prayed until the sun rose, as is reported in Sahih Muslim (1/463) in the hadith of Sammak ibn Harb, who said: I asked Jabir ibn Samurah, “Did you used to sit with the Messenger of Allah?” He said, “Yes, frequently. He would not get up from the place where he had prayed Subh (Morning Prayer) until the sun rose. When the sun rose, he would get up. They used to talk about things that had happened during the Jahiliyyah (pre-Islamic period), and they would laugh and smile.”

Also, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) asked his Lord to bless his Ummah in the mornings, as is reported in the hadith of Sakhr al-Ghamidi, who said: “The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) said: ‘O Allah, bless my Ummah in the mornings.’ Whenever he sent out troops or an army, he would send them at the beginning of the day.” Sakhr was a trader, and he used to send out his caravans at the beginning of the day, and he did well as a result and made money. [Reported by Abu Dawud, at-Tirmidhi and Ibn Majah, with a chain of transmitters in which there is unknown narrator; corroborating evidence is to be found in a hadith narrated by `Ali, Ibn `Umar, Ibn `Abbas, Ibn Mas`ud and others (may Allah be pleased with them all).]

For this reason, some of the salaf (early Muslims) disliked the idea of sleeping after Fajr. Ibn Abi Shaybah reported in his Musannaf (5/222, no. 25442) with an authentic chain of transmitters from `Urwah ibn al-Zubayr that he said: “Al-Zubayr used to forbid his children to sleep in the morning.” `Urwah said: “I do not hear of any man who sleeps in the morning but I lose interest in that person.”

In brief, people should make the most of this time which can bring many benefits in this world and in the Hereafter, but if a person sleeps at this time to gain strength to do his work, there is nothing wrong with this, especially if it is not easy for him to sleep at any other time of the day. Ibn Abi Shaybah reported in his Musannaf (5/223, no. 25454) from the hadith of Abu Yazid al-Madini who said: “`Umar came to Suhayb one morning and found him sleeping, so he sat down until he woke up. Suhayb said: ‘The Commander of the Faithful is sitting in his place and Suhayb is sleeping!’ `Umar said to him: ‘I did not like to disturb your sleep that could be beneficial for you.’”

As for sleeping after `Asr, this is also permitted; there is no authentic hadith from the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) to indicate that sleeping at this time is prohibited.

As for the words, “Whoever sleeps after `Asr and loses his mind as a result has no one to blame but himself,” which are attributed to the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him), this is a false hadith and there is no proof that these words were uttered by the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him).

Commenting on this false hadith, Sheikh al-Albani writes: “Marwan [ibn Muhammad al-Asadi] said: I said to Layth ibn Sa`d – when I saw him sleep after `Asr during the month of Ramadan – ‘O Abul-Harith! Why are you sleeping after `Asr when Ibn Lahi`ah has told us … (and he mentioned the false hadith)?’ Al-Layth said: ‘I do not give up something that is good for me because of the hadith of Ibn Lahi`ah from `Aqil!’ I am impressed by this answer of al-Layth, because it is indicative of understanding and knowledge, and no wonder, for he was one of the imams of the Muslims and well known jurists.” (See: Al-Silsilah al-Da`ifah [hadith no. 39]).” [Source: www.islam-qa.com]

You can also read:

Islamic Etiquette of Sleeping

Hope that helps

:w:

vpb
06-11-2007, 11:49 AM

jazakallah khair.

useful article.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.