/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Praying for the Dead?

IbnAbdulHakim
03-20-2006, 11:23 AM
If i was to die tomorrow (inshaAllah) who can pray for me :? and how long can they carry on praying for me :?

can my children benefit me in the grave? if so how :?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
itsme01
03-20-2006, 11:29 AM
There is a Hadith that says something like, if someone prays for you at your grave - you will get benifit from it. (such as relief) <-- need to confirm tho

IbnAbdulHakim
03-20-2006, 11:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by itsme01
There is a Hadith that says something like, if someone prays for you at your grave - you will get benifit from it. (such as relief) <-- need to confirm tho
once the prophet passed by a grave and he said the people in two of these graves are suffering, so he put a date palm leaf or something on them and said i hope there suffering is eased till the leaf dries <--- need to confirm

i kno this but i wanted to kno, wat can "people" do for you, and how long can they carry on doin it for?

jazakAllah khair for tryin to help
BarakAllah feekum

May Allah reward you :)

:sl:

itsme01
03-20-2006, 11:36 AM
^ As long as they live. - or as long as your grave is present or as long as your good deeds are remembered.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IbnAbdulHakim
03-20-2006, 11:40 AM
JazakAllah khair akhee :)

i asked becoz some people say you shouldnt pray for the dead for more then three days... and that didnt sound nice to me :offended:

itsme01
03-20-2006, 11:41 AM
^ by any chance are you from sub-continent :rollseyes
cuz such things only exist there...

IbnAbdulHakim
03-20-2006, 11:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by itsme01
^ by any chance are you from sub-continent :rollseyes
cuz such things only exist there...
the people who sed this to me strive to be salaaf lol bro am from south-east london.

They did mention that the son/family can pray tho... i jus wanted a clear cut explenation of wat can be done for the dead, coz they confused me lol

itsme01
03-20-2006, 11:51 AM
And never offer prayer for any one of them who dies and
do not stand by his grave; surely they disbelieve in Allah and His
Apostle and they shall die in transgression.

[9:84]

From the above verse its clear that anyone can come and pray at your Grave.
However, A Muslim cannot pray for Non-Muslims or at his/her Grave

- Qatada -
03-20-2006, 11:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pr4sE
JazakAllah khair akhee :)

i asked becoz some people say you shouldnt pray for the dead for more then three days... and that didnt sound nice to me :offended:

:salamext:

I've read that crying over the dead shouldn't be carried on for longer than 3 days, except for the widow who can cry over her husband for 4months and 10 days.

Hadith - Bukhari 7:254, Narrated Um 'Atiyya (radhiAllaahu anha)

We were forbidden to mourn for more than three days for a dead person, except for a husband, for whom a wife should mourn for four months and ten days (while in the mourning period) we were not allowed to put kohl in our eyes, nor perfume ourselves, nor wear dyed clothes, except a garment of 'Asb (special clothes made in Yemen). But it was permissible for us that when one of us became clean from her menses and took a bath, she could use a piece of a certain kind of incense. And it was forbidden for us to follow funeral processions.

The Prophet (sal Allaahu alayhi waSalam) said: When the human being dies, his/her deeds will come to an end except three kinds: Sadaqah Jariah (continuous charity), beneficial knowledge, and a good child that will pray for him/her. (sahih Muslim).

So it may mean that its continuous and theres no limit, until the person passes away? Allaahu a'lam. (Allaah Almighty knows best)

:wasalamex

itsme01
03-20-2006, 11:57 AM
In addition: At first Women were not allowed to visit Graves (cuz they couldn't control their emotions). However, later in the Prophet [PBUH] time, it was allowed because by then women had more understanding of Islam.

IbnAbdulHakim
03-20-2006, 09:25 PM
JazakAllah khair akhee u dont kno how much i appreciate this!!

so the child of the decieced can pray wiv no limits, like for as long as he lives... well till i find proof that you cant i will do so ;D

again BarakAllah feekum!!!

DaSangarTalib
03-20-2006, 09:28 PM
i think the following link might be helpful: :)

http://www.islamicboard.com/194446-post1.html

Maimunah
03-20-2006, 09:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fight&Die4Allah
i think the following link might be helpful: :)

http://www.islamicboard.com/194446-post1.html
jazakaaallah khayr bro
i think a child can pray for their parents whether dead or alive
The Prophet (peace be upon him) has made it clear that when a person dies, he can no longer do anything about his future life except in one of three ways: “a continuous act of charity, a useful contribution to knowledge, and a dutiful child who prays for him.” This defines the way for children to benefit their deceased parents. They should pray for them as often as they can, requesting God to have mercy on them. Hence, the Prophet’s Sunnah encourages us to conclude every obligatory or voluntary prayer with the supplication: ‘My Lord! Forgive me and my parents. Bestow Your mercy on them as they took care of me when I was young.’ This prayer reads in Arabic: “Rabbi-ghfir li wa liwalidayy. Rabbi-rhamhuma kama rabbayani sagheera.” It is strongly recommended to say this prayer just before we finish any obligatory or voluntary prayer we offer, at the end of the Tashahhud. A deceased man may find his position with God improving, and he asks about the reason. He is told by God that it is through his child’s prayer for him. Needless to say, this applies to both mothers and fathers, through the prayers of both their sons and daughters. :happy:

north_malaysian
03-21-2006, 07:06 AM
Muslims can pray for Allah to give mercy on the dead person.

But I dont think Muslims can go to tomb of some saints and ask those saints to endorse something being ask to Allah. Please dont bring the cult of Catholic to Islam.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.