/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Be a giver

Hashim_507
03-27-2006, 06:17 AM
Asalamu Alaikum

Now days in rich countries like in europe and north america also middle east. Many times i see people waste foods while the other side of the world are starving. There are people who own cars,home, and rich cloths and complaining about life,while the other side of the world poor people thank Allah for atleast eating a meal. Did you ever donate? Did you think about the poor and helpless people? Did you thank Allah for his mercy upon you? Today i thank Allah for his mercy.

:sl:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Eric H
03-27-2006, 11:55 AM
Greetings and peace Hashim 507, thank you for starting this thread.

The biggest injustices are done against the poor in the world, about a billion people live on a dollar a day, about half the worlds population lives on less than two dollars a day.

About one thousand billion dollars are spent on the arms industry every year, which is about a hundred and sixty five dollars for every man, woman and child on this planet.

Coffee has to be one of the most unfairly traded commodities in the world, the retail price has gone up about three hundred percent in the shops over the last twenty years; yet we are paying the growers about a fifth of what they were getting twenty years ago.

This would be like having a low paid job twenty years ago earning a pound an hour, but only getting 20p per hour for doing the same job today. Many coffee plantation owners cannot afford to pay their workers, yet we advertise coffee in the UK. As if it is a luxury product.

If you pay around £2.50 for a 100 gram jar of coffee the growers get about
1p of that, all the profit is in the processing and retailing.

Faitrade is a brand that pays the growers a fairer price for its goods and it can be found in many supermarkets in the UK.

If you live in the UK. You can buy ‘Fairtrade tea, coffee, bananas, dried fruit, sugar, chocolate, clothes and wine if you are not Muslim. (I hope I have not offended anyone by mentioning wine)

The rich exploit the poor simply because we can,

In the spirit of seeking justice for all people

Eric

Hashim_507
03-27-2006, 09:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
Greetings and peace Hashim 507, thank you for starting this thread.

The biggest injustices are done against the poor in the world, about a billion people live on a dollar a day, about half the worlds population lives on less than two dollars a day.

About one thousand billion dollars are spent on the arms industry every year, which is about a hundred and sixty five dollars for every man, woman and child on this planet.

Coffee has to be one of the most unfairly traded commodities in the world, the retail price has gone up about three hundred percent in the shops over the last twenty years; yet we are paying the growers about a fifth of what they were getting twenty years ago.

This would be like having a low paid job twenty years ago earning a pound an hour, but only getting 20p per hour for doing the same job today. Many coffee plantation owners cannot afford to pay their workers, yet we advertise coffee in the UK. As if it is a luxury product.

If you pay around £2.50 for a 100 gram jar of coffee the growers get about
1p of that, all the profit is in the processing and retailing.

Faitrade is a brand that pays the growers a fairer price for its goods and it can be found in many supermarkets in the UK.

If you live in the UK. You can buy ‘Fairtrade tea, coffee, bananas, dried fruit, sugar, chocolate, clothes and wine if you are not Muslim. (I hope I have not offended anyone by mentioning wine)

The rich exploit the poor simply because we can,

In the spirit of seeking justice for all people

Eric
Your welcome Eric, all of those nike cloths and shoes was the work of poor child in asia. Companies of coffee are laboring childrens of Africa, and paying little money. Injustice and unfair trade, I do agree with you.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.