/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Documentaries on Western converts to Islam.

Goku
03-27-2006, 03:39 PM
Salam

Well people reverting/converting to Islam is so common nowadays that theres been numerous documentaries on them by BBC, Channel 4 and other TV stations. Here's a few, very heart warming MashAllah:

UK Converts to Islam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc4my...&search=muslim

US Converts to Islam http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYo2T...&search=muslim

Jewish convert to islam. http://www.youtube.com/w/Jew-Convert...?v=N8zUaYuSpyE

Another Jewish convert to Islam http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pgIqQPbdvE&

Female convert to Islam. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I96Kr...search=muslims

Salam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Goku
05-02-2006, 01:52 PM
So isnt anyone interested?

dishdash
05-02-2006, 02:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Goku
So isnt anyone interested?
In reverting?

Goku
05-02-2006, 02:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by dishdash
In reverting?
InshaAllah. More people need to follow your example and revert to the True Religion. (Even though loads already are, Alhumdulillah) :)

But I was referring to watching the videos and commenting on them.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
dishdash
05-02-2006, 03:02 PM
It's funny, but as much as we (and I am guilty of this too) bandy around the term revert, aren't we all reverts?! (and sorry for hijacking the thread but I want to just sound this out)

I don't actually like the label at all. As far as I am concerned, I am just another Moslem, simply born to non-Moslem parents.

Being Moslem is not where you're from but where you are at right? And more importantly, where you are going...

And it's also funny how born Moslems are always coming up to you going 'ohh, I know another revert brother. You two should get together some time. I'll give you his details!' Hehe! Cute but can get annoying after a while!

I will not typically share my story of reversion. It is a deeply personal and emotional thing for me, and to be honest, I get a little weirded out by those who want to broadcast the details... I'm not saying it's wrong but it doesn't feel right for me.

Insh'Allah I will have a squizz at the vids tomorrow. It's now 1am here and I'm knackered (and my 1yo is squawking...) <sigh>

Allah ma'ak

KAding
05-02-2006, 03:09 PM
Well, I don't want to rain on your parade, but how many Muslims in the West are Muslim only in name only?

You say revertings are up? But how come mosque attendance is dropping among Dutch muslims? It dropped to about 40% in 2002, down from 50% in 1998. The figure is about 30% for younger people. The number who are a member of a religious organization has dropped as well. According to the statistics there was even a small increase in apostacy (up about 1-2%). Among university graduates it is about 17.7%, compared to 2% for those without education.

I am really curious to see some real reliable figures on this. Surely mere anecdotal evidence doesn't get us very far. I can also give you anecdotal evidence about all those of Muslim descent at my university, who are about as religious as I am! Lets not forget about the strong taboo within muslim society concerning atheism and apostacy. Many muslims who are not religious will not be quickly admit so I believe.

R_Mujahed
05-02-2006, 03:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
Well, I don't want to rain on your parade, but how many Muslims in the West are Muslim only in name only?

You say revertings are up? But how come mosque attendance is dropping among Dutch muslims? It dropped to about 40% in 2002, down from 50% in 1998. The figure is about 30% for younger people. The number who are a member of a religious organization has dropped as well. According to the statistics there was even a small increase in apostacy (up about 1-2%). Among university graduates it is about 17.7%, compared to 2% for those without education.

I am really curious to see some real reliable figures on this. Surely mere anecdotal evidence doesn't get us very far. I can also give you anecdotal evidence about all those of Muslim descent at my university, who are about as religious as I am! Lets not forget about the strong taboo within muslim society concerning atheism and apostacy. Many muslims who are not religious will not be quickly admit so I believe.
That is what you think, but figures show that an approx. 25 000 convert to Islam in the us alone... that is after 9/11... We are still there and soon to be one-third of the worlds pop... We are on the down-low (ie working underground):happy:

Goku
05-02-2006, 06:25 PM
It's funny, but as much as we (and I am guilty of this too) bandy around the term revert, aren't we all reverts?! (and sorry for hijacking the thread but I want to just sound this out)
Thats cool you're not hijacking this thread mate.

The only "reverts" are those who are raised as non-Muslim but embrace Islam. Because it is said that everyone is born in a state of submission to Allah- a Muslim but is raised as his/her parents wish.

I don't actually like the label at all. As far as I am concerned, I am just another Moslem, simply born to non-Moslem parents.

Being Moslem is not where you're from but where you are at right? And more importantly, where you are going...

And it's also funny how born Moslems are always coming up to you going 'ohh, I know another revert brother. You two should get together some time. I'll give you his details!' Hehe! Cute but can get annoying after a while!

I will not typically share my story of reversion. It is a deeply personal and emotional thing for me, and to be honest, I get a little weirded out by those who want to broadcast the details... I'm not saying it's wrong but it doesn't feel right for me.

Insh'Allah I will have a squizz at the vids tomorrow. It's now 1am here and I'm knackered (and my 1yo is squawking...) <sigh>

Allah ma'ak
Reverts/Converts to Islam hold a special place in my eyes because they accept the truth of Allah SWT. How hard must it be for them, its a life changing decision and they do it for the sake of Allah SWT.

guyabano
05-02-2006, 07:31 PM
What I find rather shocking is:

When Christians like to convert to Islam, every Muslim welcome them. Now that is great.

But curiosly, when Muslims like to convert to Christians, they get death sentence because it is a fatal crime in the eyes of Muslims!??

isn't that a little bit ironic ?

Ansar Al-'Adl
05-02-2006, 07:37 PM
Hi Guyabano,
The reality of the issue is not as it is commonly portrayed in the western media - this topic has been discussed here:
http://www.islamicboard.com/20595-post1.html
I encourage you to read the above link to understand the Islamic perspective on apostasy.

:sl: Goku,
I've seen the first two links before, and they're good mashaa'Allah.

:w:

Joe98
05-02-2006, 11:44 PM
Re: Apostasy.

Sorry this is not the thread on apostasy; if you want to discuss apostasy please go the appropriate thread, linked above.

dishdash
05-03-2006, 12:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Goku
Thats cool you're not hijacking this thread mate.

The only "reverts" are those who are raised as non-Muslim but embrace Islam. Because it is said that everyone is born in a state of submission to Allah- a Muslim but is raised as his/her parents wish.
I disagree akhi. I believe that the moment that most born Moslems recognise that the god and the prophet they have been learning about since the day of their birth when their baba sang the adhan into their ear, when those distant conepts become Allah swt and his Prophet Mohammad saw, then that is their moment of reversion.

You are right - we are born in a natural state of pure fitra, all of us. But the duties and teachings of our parents upon us are not what make us Moslem. It is our OWN acceptance of the deen, whenever that may take place. THAT is their moment of reversion.

And the brothers and sisters who go through their wild days of rebellion and jahliya - when they too come back to the path of righteousness, subhanallah, that is THEIR moment of reversion.

And each time it happens sincerely, it is insh'Allah accepted by Allah swt.

There is no difference to a non-Moslem sincerely embracing Islam and its mercies for the first time to a born Moslem, learned the ayas, prayed 5 times a day every day, wore hijaab/beard but did all of these things for the parents/friends/cultural expectations/teachers rather than for Allah ta'ala.

The moment you do anything sincerely for the sake of God and you recognise you are his dutiful slave, alhamdulilah - that is when YOU have had your moment of reversion.

From then on in, you are a Moslem - forget the revert label...

snakelegs
05-03-2006, 01:33 AM
I disagree akhi. I believe that the moment that most born Moslems recognise that the god and the prophet they have been learning about since the day of their birth when their baba sang the adhan into their ear, when those distant conepts become Allah swt and his Prophet Mohammad saw, then that is their moment of reversion.

You are right - we are born in a natural state of pure fitra, all of us. But the duties and teachings of our parents upon us are not what make us Moslem. It is our OWN acceptance of the deen, whenever that may take place. THAT is their moment of reversion.

And the brothers and sisters who go through their wild days of rebellion and jahliya - when they too come back to the path of righteousness, subhanallah, that is THEIR moment of reversion.

And each time it happens sincerely, it is insh'Allah accepted by Allah swt.

There is no difference to a non-Moslem sincerely embracing Islam and its mercies for the first time to a born Moslem, learned the ayas, prayed 5 times a day every day, wore hijaab/beard but did all of these things for the parents/friends/cultural expectations/teachers rather than for Allah ta'ala.

The moment you do anything sincerely for the sake of God and you recognise you are his dutiful slave, alhamdulilah - that is when YOU have had your moment of reversion.

From then on in, you are a Moslem - forget the revert label...
good comment - makes sense to me.

syilla
05-03-2006, 01:46 AM
you're lucky that... all of your sins are being removed... and born again like a baby....

as 4 me... i have been collecting sins since i was a baby....

dishdash
05-03-2006, 03:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
you're lucky that... all of your sins are being removed... and born again like a baby....

as 4 me... i have been collecting sins since i was a baby....
Haha! But don't forget that you have had many many more opportunities to ask for forgiveness from ALlah swt most merciful...

Insh'Allah you will have been reduced to the sins of a new born baby (ie none) many times over! :)

syilla
05-03-2006, 03:15 AM
yeah... thank you.

but i just couldn't help this feeling of envious...

;-) (sorry if i couldn't paste any smiley... my computer is 'bingung' nowadays)

syilla
05-03-2006, 03:20 AM
thank you 4 correcting me north malaysian... the thread above is really for u. hehehe... ( i dun think anyone will understand what is 'bingung')

as for dishdash...

thank you... may Allah forgive us all... and maybe oneday we can meet in heaven (eventhough... i'm not confident at all to be there...but it is nice if we can get to know each other in heaven)

dishdash
05-03-2006, 04:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
thank you 4 correcting me north malaysian... the thread above is really for u. hehehe... ( i dun think anyone will understand what is 'bingung')

as for dishdash...

thank you... may Allah forgive us all... and maybe oneday we can meet in heaven (eventhough... i'm not confident at all to be there...but it is nice if we can get to know each other in heaven)
Maaf - saya mengerti tidak banyak bahasa :( Apa bingung?! Like bencong?! hehe!

dishdash
05-03-2006, 04:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by hafizmo
what??? are you sure ........source please I heard these are just rumours
Yeah - I'd like to see your source on that one too actually. I've never heard it before.

dishdash
05-03-2006, 04:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by R_Mujahed
That is what you think, but figures show that an approx. 25 000 convert to Islam in the us alone... that is after 9/11... We are still there and soon to be one-third of the worlds pop... We are on the down-low (ie working underground):happy:
Actually, there is more substance to KAding's post I have to say.

Are you counting NoI in the States cos I will not.

The whole numbers thing is a pointless exercise anyway. It should always be about quality not quantity. So we've got a high-birth rate?! Alhamdulilah. Beautiful in itself, but cetainly not increasing the quality any.

To sunni Islam there are a fair few reverts. But sadly these tend to be equalled out by those leaving sunni Islam for a secular Western life. May God return them to the path of righteousness.

I've always argued that the fastest growing faith in this world is 'none' agnosticism is rampant... And I have also maintained that there is no better time for us to be showing the beautiful side of Islam. Non-Moslems are actually starved of spiritual guidance - this is a time of great opportunity.

And yet...

The figures will always be difficult to prove and even harder to believe. Lucky it's irrelevent.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.