/* */

PDA

View Full Version : why do we call masjid ..... and not mosque?

Helena
03-28-2006, 03:54 PM
:sl:

am sure u guys already know....... those who don't know! something to benefit frm inshalah!

PLEASE CALL OUR MASJID "MASJID"! Not "MOSQUE"!!!

Please read this and pass it on to any Muslims, as much as you can. It
is a vital and important information. Muslims should now refrain from
using the term "Mosque". I was flipping through this book the other
day called "THE COMPLETE IDIOT'S GUIDE TO UNDERSTANDING ISLAM" (he-he,
they call themselves idiots) and it is filled with fun facts. One of
them concerns the term "Mosque." So many of us think that this is the
English translation of Masjid. I'm sure none of us ever wondered how
this term came into being when it really had little in common with how
it sounded compared to 'Masjid'. (We were very young when we were
taught this English word. Our mind then were not critical &
analytical, so didn't dare to ask/challenge our teachers, right?).

Anyway this book
pointed out that the term 'mosque' is derived from
the Spanish word for "mosquito." It was termed as such because during
the Crusades, King Ferdinand said they were going to go and swat the
Muslims "like mosquitoes". (Where else can they find Muslims in large
number to be swatted if not in a Masjid?). So, they cheekily termed
"Masjid" as "Mosque". So dear Muslim brothers and sisters, refrain
from using this term which is obviously a disgusting slap in the face
to the Ummah. Educate our brothers and sisters to the history and
etymology of this word. And let us replace it with the word which is
MEANT to be used: Masjid! The Place of Prostration!! Not Mosque: the
place to be swatted! If any of you have doubts about this, then please
go look for the book and read it.

:w: :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Z
03-28-2006, 03:59 PM
Salaam.

So what about Moseak, Muskey, and Moschy?

Helena
03-28-2006, 04:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Z
Salaam.

So what about Moseak, Muskey, and Moschy?

am only giving info on the english word mosque............................... i aint sure about the other words dat u have provided!

:w:

Z
03-28-2006, 04:07 PM
Salaam.

I think you'll find what you have pasted above is a load of rubbish. Till you can prove it, it'll remain so.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Helena
03-28-2006, 04:10 PM

hw can it be it load of rubbish??????? u have offended me.................... everybody are aware of this story................... not my fault u havnt heard it before!

and please try be polite...............................:( :( :( :(

Z
03-28-2006, 04:15 PM
Salaam.

Sorry to have offended you, but what you have pasted is obviously from an e-mail or from a place elsewhere where it as copied from an e-mail.

Now about the word Mosque, all you've done is pasted what someone has said to have read or heard. The words I pasted were also used to call the Masjid in Europe (I think). It was after those, they decided to settle on the word Mosque instead. All of them refer to the prayer, the kneeling down place/building.

Oh, and it's correctly said and spelt Masajid, not Masjid.

IbnAbdulHakim
03-28-2006, 04:17 PM
bro even if u dont believe it to call it "rubbish" is both blunt and rude!! i'd expect u 2 kno betta and also what she said... duz make sum sence lol

Z
03-28-2006, 04:19 PM
Salaam.

Loads of things make sense. Like lies for example.

Helena
03-28-2006, 04:24 PM

z ur not making things better....................r u???? just wana make this bigger, if this is lie den u believe wot eva u wana belive in!

It cud be loads of rubbish...... or even a lie......... or even a truth......... dsnt mean we gota argue over it?

Silver Pearl
03-28-2006, 04:25 PM
Children shall be children.

If no one has substancial evidence then khalas, if not, let us not be consumed by chain mails.

In the mean time can we all try our best to not offend others and not to get offended easily, less emotional attachment is definately better.

Thank you sister Helena nonetheless for your efforts.

May Allah (swt) reward us for our good deeds and forgive us for our errors.

:wasalamex

Helena
03-28-2006, 04:26 PM

anyway don't wana argue with u..................... jus wanted other ppl views on this! dats all................ didnt wana hear things dat i dont hear usually..........:( jazaks bro mazed and silver pearl kinda helped...... but i am emotional person......which i can not hide frm it!

Z
03-28-2006, 04:26 PM
Salaam.

No one's arguing. I just think it would be wise for you to remove what you've pasted, till you're 100% sure what you have there is accurate. I'm sure you don't want to spread information which is unconfirmed to other Muslims do you.

The Ruler
03-28-2006, 04:29 PM
i dunno if i is actually tru but i DID hear it from a lot of my teachers....n it was wen i used to go to an islamic shcool....n der wer teachers wid loads of knowledge....so i dunno wat to bliv....but wer did da term 'mosque' cum from anyway :? < da question jus popped to ma mind....:rollseyes :confused: :? :? :? :? :?

The Ruler
03-28-2006, 04:30 PM
Salaam.

No one's arguing. I just think it would be wise for you to remove what you've pasted, till you're 100% sure what you have there is accurate. I'm sure you don't want to spread information which is unconfirmed to other Muslims do you.
bro das wat we r here for....to correct our misconceptions :rollseyes

Z
03-28-2006, 04:32 PM
Salaam.

See here. http://www.answers.com/mosque&r=67

Helena
03-28-2006, 04:34 PM
Salaam.

i am absolutely sure wt i wrote..... jus wanted others to participate.....not jump to cnclusions straight away! U r rite don't wana spread unconfirmed staff that dsnt makes sense!

if u wana, u gud close this thread..... as its creating prob..... and not accepting wt others are saying!

The Ruler
03-28-2006, 04:34 PM
we no it as a 'mosque'....but we donot no da origin of da wrd do we :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Z
03-28-2006, 04:36 PM
Salaam.

It's from a collective of words. Did you bother to read the link I provided?

The Ruler
03-28-2006, 04:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by helena

i am absolutely sure wt i wrote..... jus wanted others to participate.....not jump to cnclusions straight away! U r rite don't wana spread unconfirmed staff that dsnt makes sense!

if u wana, u gud close this thread..... as its creating prob..... and not accepting wt others are saying!

if dis thread is closed, we wudnt actually no anyfin bout dis mosque n masjid business....it wud remain as a misconception ryt...so i say we wait for a bro or a sis hu is more knowledgeable :happy: :) :)

till den da thread cud be temporarily closed....well das ma idea :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

The Ruler
03-28-2006, 04:37 PM
Salaam.

It's from a collective of words. Did you bother to read the link I provided?
yes....otherwise i wudnt v replied :)

Z
03-28-2006, 04:38 PM
Salaam.

Umm it's got masses of information, how on earth did you read it all?

Helena
03-28-2006, 04:40 PM

i have read the link............. wot is original word for masjid?

i agree wid tagrid....... wana hear more views inshalah!

Z
03-28-2006, 04:44 PM
Salaam.

See this too. http://tempella.com/2005/06/11/origi...e-word-mosque/

I got one of those stupid chain emails that stated the origin of the word “mosque” was derived from the Spanish word “mosquito” to insult Muslims, the story behind it when King Ferdinand invaded the Muslims in Spain he said he would swat out Muslim prayer houses like so many mosquitoes. Also “The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Understanding Islam” book wrote such a definition, which by the way turned out to be hoax. That got a lot of Muslims pissed off, source from [Sa7bah] (Arabic)

Cheb
03-28-2006, 04:46 PM
This is an interesting read too:

http://www.renaissance.com.pk/febq52y3.html

Helena
03-28-2006, 04:50 PM

jazaks chebs.................. got a clear understanding of this now! has z got it yet? or he still wants to carry on with his arguement?

The Ruler
03-28-2006, 04:50 PM
Umm it's got masses of information, how on earth did you read it all?
i only read relevant bits :)....n skimmed thru da others :)

i dunno....:-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

------
03-28-2006, 04:56 PM
http://www.renaissance.com.pk/febq52y3.html

"My research found no indication that mosque was derived from the word ‘mosquito’...."

Z
03-28-2006, 05:03 PM
alaam.

Glad to hear, and I sure hope you've learnt that what you get sent on chain e-mails is mostly rubbish like this. Never pass it on, and always do research of your own first before asking others. Saves time and effort.

And no, you're not a silly girl. sorry.

Helena
03-28-2006, 05:09 PM
alaam.

Glad to hear, and I sure hope you've learnt that what you get sent on chain e-mails is mostly rubbish like this. Never pass it on, and always do research of your own first before asking others. Saves time and effort.

And no, you're not a silly girl. sorry.

jazaks for that!!! yes i have learnt my lesson... but i swear i have heard this before...... walahi!!

no one has eevr spoken lyk dat to me..... ur da first one...... i accept ur apology i was waiting for that...... i thought som where u were wrong....... one ore thing don't like arguements after all we are one ummah, gota help each other and be equal.....

afriend2
03-28-2006, 05:11 PM
salaam,

i think it would be best to close this thread. :)

and bro Z please refrain from name calling whatever the reason, we are all brother and sisters here :) inshAllah.

wassalam

Far7an
03-28-2006, 05:56 PM

So much commotion, alhamdulillah that we learnt something, but it could have been dealt with alot better.

Oh, and it's correctly said and spelt Masajid, not Masjid.
Actually, Masajid is plural, Masjid is singular. See, we all make mistakes :)

:threadclo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.