/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Christian and Muslim academics meet in Washington DC

Eric H
03-29-2006, 10:08 AM
Greetings and peace

Ekklesia News Service

A fifth ‘Building Bridges’ seminar involving senior Christian and Muslim leaders is convening in Washington DC this week, chaired by the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams.

The conference runs from Tuesday to Thursday (March 28 – 30, 2006); it is being hosted by Dr John J DeGioia, the President of Georgetown University, who will also take part in the seminar, and is the second such gathering to be held at the University. This year’s seminar follows on from similar events in London, Qatar and Sarajevo.

More than thirty Christian and Muslim scholars from across the world will hold detailed discussions over three days; the theme of this year's seminar is 'Justice and Rights: Christian and Muslim Perspectives'.

As before, the seminar will consist each day of the public presentation of papers followed by private sessions for the participants. Over the three days the focus of the seminar will move from Scriptural Foundations to Evolving Traditions to The Modern World.

The participants will consider questions such as how Christians and Muslims have understood the role of political authority in the light of the justice of God, and how the responsibility of political authority for the unity of society can be reconciled with what has come to be known as the 'right to religious freedom'.

Dr Williams said in a brief statement last week that he hoped the conference would build on the work of previous gatherings: “ Muslims and Christians share a central concern for justice and human dignity but have often understood very differently how these are to be embodied in political life.”

He continued: “This meeting is a very special opportunity to bring these understandings into closer dialogue, in the interests of a stable and just world.”

As with previous ‘Building Bridges’ seminars between Muslim and Christians, it is hoped that an account of the seminar's proceedings will be published in book form.
In the spirit of seeking interfaith relations

Eric

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Goku
03-29-2006, 01:53 PM
Jazak Allah Khair. Its a good idea, wonder if Dr Zakir Naik will be present.

PrIM3
03-29-2006, 05:10 PM
sorry I did not read the article or anything in this thread but by the looks of it.. I truely would like to say that this does seem pretty cool.. we has one ban together.. my dream actually to see it happen... lately I've been trying to explain my faith... I do know that Muslims and Christians have quite a few things in common

Ansar Al-'Adl
03-29-2006, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the article, Eric. :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.