/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Haram to be on a diet?

sumay28
03-29-2006, 05:56 PM
Okay.. see, I'm on a diet. I'm not anorexic or anything. I eat. I just prefer fruits to junk, home cooked meals to fast food. And I eat moderate portions. My brother-in-law always tells me that it's dangerous for my deen to be on a diet. For example, he offered me some of his ice cream and I took a little bit in a cup. He told me to take more and I hesitated. I don't wanna eat that much ice cream, man. I don't need that much. Then he went on to say again, how I should stop this diet thing. I I know, on the day of judgement Allah isn't going to be reviewing how many calories i ate in that day. I just like to stay at a certain weight. If it was haram to be on a diet, I would be obese for my Allah. But I don't see the harm in it. I feel very blessed to have food to eat every day, but must I eat my head off for the sake of my deen? Please post your opinions on the subject.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
The Ruler
03-29-2006, 06:01 PM
isnt 'diet' different to wat u describe u do....u jus eat da kind of food u lyk n prefer ova da others. its not lyk u r on a strict diet r u?...:? :?

ur kinda diet is NOT called a "diet"....if u get wat i mean....unless u r a vegetarian n stuff lyk dat. wat u eat is mostly lyk a healthy eatin....lyk ma dad...he doesnt actually diet...but he prefers healthy food rather than junk :rollseyes

:w:

Cheb
03-29-2006, 06:06 PM
Funny a friend and I were talking abotu this just an hour earlier. Actually I beleive it is the exact opposite. Eating healthy and taking care of yourself is good for you both physically and mentally. There are actually hadiths about this so I will try and get them.

IbnAbdulHakim
03-29-2006, 06:07 PM
sister if its "haram" to be on a diet it jus wudnt make sence!

Think about it, our prophet (saws), the sahaba there were times were they hardly had nething to eat!!!!

if nethin it might be haram to eat TOO MUCH lol. (im not givin a fatwa im jus sayin i kno islam says to eat in moderation ie 1/3 water, 1/3 food, 1/3 empty)

:sl:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
afriend2
03-29-2006, 06:09 PM
salaam,

i think its just best to eat 1/3 food, 1/3 water and 1/3 air. this basic outline kinda shows that there wont be any need for excessive eating or dieting. :)

Allah knows best :)

wassalam

IbnAbdulHakim
03-29-2006, 06:10 PM
^ how many people actually stik to that outline :? :p :p :p

:sl:

Sister_6038
03-29-2006, 06:11 PM
erm well the fractions are quite difficult to stick to...with me its more water lolol....i gulp it down daily...i cant get enought water...:D:D

Muezzin
03-29-2006, 06:11 PM
So, because you won't eat too much ice cream, your brother-in-law says it's bad for your deen? :p

I don't have any hadiths to hand (throw me a line here someone ;)), but there are hadiths telling us to eat in moderation :)

- Qatada -
03-29-2006, 06:14 PM
:salamext:

On the authority of Al-Miqdaam ibn Maadiy-Karib who said: I heard the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him and his beloved family) saying: "No human ever filled a vessel worse than the stomach. Sufficient for any son of Adam are some morsels to keep his back straight. But if it must be, then one third for his food, one third for his drink and one third for his breath."

So that hadith is showing how its so much better to eat as less as possible, so long as you can keep your back straight. But if it must be, then the maximum a believer should eat is a third fill of food, third of water, and third for his/her breath.

You can read more hadith about this off this link insha'Allaah:
http://www.java-man.com/Pages/JamiAl...hadith_47.html

http://www.islamonline.com/cgi-bin/n...service_id=567

wa Allaahu ta'aala a'lam.

:wasalamex

Cheb
03-29-2006, 06:18 PM
lol barakallah feek you beat me to it.
So ya dont listen to your brother and continue the way your are going. Just dont starve yourself ;)

رياح_الشمال
03-29-2006, 06:36 PM
slm
wait there guyz i kno am going in a different root
bt is it haram to be vegy?
u just dont like meet
u can neva stand da smell
or da look of it
so there is no way u can eat it
wat should u do then?
w slam

Muezzin
03-29-2006, 06:39 PM
I don't see how it could be haraam to be a vegetarian. My understanding is that you just have to avoid what's haraam - you don't have to go on some quest to eat all that is halal, otherwise I'd be doing haraam because I've never eaten rabbit. :p

- Qatada -
03-29-2006, 06:46 PM

Question

Scholars of Islam, as-Salamu `alaykum! I want to know the Islamic stance on vegetarianism. Jazakum Allah khayran.

Answer

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear brother, we commend your eagerness to become well acquainted with Islam and its teachings, which is the way Allah has chosen for the welfare of His servants.

First of all, it should be clear that one should not think that it is better to abstain from eating meat, that doing so will be rewarded, or that being a vegetarian is closer to Allah than not, and so on. It is not permitted to draw closer to Allah in this way. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) who is the best of mankind and the closest to Allah, used to eat meat and honey, and drink milk. When one of his Companions wanted to give up meat, he told him that this was wrong. Anas Ibn Malik (may Allah be pleased with him) reported that there was a group of the Companions of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him); one of whom said, "I will never marry women"; another said, "I will not eat meat"; a third said, "I will not sleep on a bed"; and a fourth said, "I will fast and never break my fast." When the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) was informed about this, he praised and thanked Allah, then said: "What is wrong with the people who say such and such? I pray and I sleep; I fast and I break my fast; and I marry women. Whoever deviates from my Sunnah (way) does not belong to me." (Reported by An-Nasa'i)

There is a great difference between not eating a certain kind of food because of not liking it, or one has been put off it – for example by seeing an animal slaughtered when one was a child, which may leaving the person with a distaste for meat – and other similar reasons, and thinking that meat is haram (unlawful) by abstaining from it is an act of worship, as the Brahmins, monks and others do. (Based on a Fatwa given by Sheikh M. S. Al-Munajjid)

Dr. Muzammil H. Siddiqi
, former President of the Islamic Society of North America, states:

“Allah has created some animals for our food as Allah says in the Qur'an in surat an-Nahl, 'And cattle He has created for you. From them you drive wont and numerous benefits and of their meat, you eat.' (An-Nahl: 5-8)

Muslims do recognize animal rights. Animal rights means that we should not abuse them, torture them and when we have to use them for meat, we should slaughter them with a sharp knife, mentioning the name of Allah. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, 'Allah has prescribed goodness in everything. When you sacrifice, sacrifice well. Let you sharpen your knife and make it easy for the animal to be slaughtered.'

So, Muslims are not vegetarianists. However, if someone prefers to eat vegetables, then he is allowed to do so. Allah has given us permission to eat meat of slaughtered animals, but He has not made it obligatory upon us.”

If you are still in need of more information, don't hesitate to contact us. Do keep in touch. May Allah guide us all to the straight path!

Allah Almighty knows best.

source: http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...EAskTheScholar

Sister_6038
03-29-2006, 06:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
I don't see how it could be haraam to be a vegetarian. My understanding is that you just have to avoid what's haraam - you don't have to go on some quest to eat all that is halal, otherwise I'd be doing haraam because I've never eaten rabbit. :p
yeh i mean what if u dnt like meat....because uve had some traumatic experienece related to it??

Cheb
03-29-2006, 06:59 PM
Read above :)

Sister_6038
03-29-2006, 07:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cheb
Read above :)
ooops
thats me skimmin reading...thanks :D :D

sumay28
03-29-2006, 10:08 PM
What concerns me is the intention. My intention on watching what I eat is for weight-control. Would that be islamicly incorrect?

- Qatada -
03-29-2006, 10:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sumay28
What concerns me is the intention. My intention on watching what I eat is for weight-control. Would that be islamicly incorrect?

Why not just make your intention to follow the sunnah? Besides, the hadith mentions that the maximum a person should fill their stomach is a 1/3 food, 1/3 water, and 1/3 air. This means that eating less is a good thing, and its better than overeating.

Most of the sahabah and even our beloved Prophet Muhammad sal Allaahu alayhi waSalam could afford to eat alot, but instead - they chose to give their wealth away to the needy.

sumay28
03-30-2006, 05:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah

Why not just make your intention to follow the sunnah? Besides, the hadith mentions that the maximum a person should fill their stomach is a 1/3 food, 1/3 water, and 1/3 air. This means that eating less is a good thing, and its better than overeating.

Most of the sahabah and even our beloved Prophet Muhammad sal Allaahu alayhi waSalam could afford to eat alot, but instead - they chose to give their wealth away to the needy.

alhumdulilah.. thank you.

sadik
03-30-2006, 01:26 PM
nowardays people make halal things haram and vice verser without even looking into the matter this is pure ignorance. this is a very grave sin.tell your broinlaw to repent and seek knoledge before passing judgement

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.