/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Don’t stereotype Islam: Karen Armstrong

sonz
03-30-2006, 07:35 AM
WASHINGTON: Renowned writer Karen Armstrong has warned against stereotyping Islam.

The 61-year old British author, a former nun whose book on Islam has been a bestseller since the 9/11 attacks, is on a tour these days to promote her new book ‘The Great Transformation: the beginning of our religious traditions’. She said in an interview published on Wednesday: “I always knew that Islam was not a violent religion. For 1,500 years, Islam had a far better record of living peacefully than Christians. The point is to separate out the extremists we have in all of our monotheistic religions from the mainstream.”

Armstrong said that belief in God must be about making it work for the world. “It means you have to dethrone yourself from the centre of your world and put others there. According to her, it is a mistake to define God. “I gave it up a long time ago. To define literally means to set limits. That is a travesty to try to define a reality that must go beyond human thinking. The idea of a God overseeing all this death and despair is untenable. That’s the antithesis of God. If you looked at the history of the 20th century, who is overseeing this? That’s just one human idea of God as overseer, and it’s a childish idea of God.”

She said that the United States is unique in the world, being the only superpower. “So what do you do? Do you start wars nobody can win? Al Qaeda can’t bring down the US, but the US can’t bring down Al Qaeda either,” she said.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
north_malaysian
03-30-2006, 09:13 AM
Dont stereotype Jews too (This advice is given to all Muslims):offended: .

جوري
05-31-2012, 10:23 PM
interesting old thread
format_quote Originally Posted by sonz
being the only superpower
I'd argue against that.. the tide changes all the time and the U.S so obviously on the decline and didn't manage its plans for the 'region'

CosmicPathos
06-01-2012, 07:49 AM
I am not so sure whats so special about Karen Armstrong. Suddenly she is this poster-child for Islamic history and "spirituality," more like New Age Spirituality, in Muslim world, and everyone I speak to asks me "have you read her work, have you read her works!" She attributes all of the religious traditions to our "need" for making sense of our chaotic universe, rather than to a physically existing Monotheistic Deity. So the idea of God overseeing despair and death is untenable to her, then who gave her the right to speak about Islam in which a Deity does oversee everything happening in this universe and when all the death and despair has actually been pre-determined by Him for eventual good.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.