/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Makkah not Mecca?

al-basit
04-01-2006, 03:49 PM
According to an chain email (an email forwarded by many people) from a muslim brother, 'mecca' means prostitute centres so we should not use this word, we should use 'makkah' instead. Apparently, it is a plot by the west. Does this have any foundation or evidence, my fellow muslims?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
HeiGou
04-01-2006, 03:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by al-basit
According to an chain email (an email forwarded by many people) from a muslim brother, 'mecca' means prostitute centres so we should not use this word, we should use 'makkah' instead. Apparently, it is a plot by the west. Does this have any foundation or evidence, my fellow muslims?
Is there nothing so silly someone won't believe it?

You really think us kafirs have nothing better to do with our time - like cure cancer?

S_87
04-01-2006, 03:52 PM
:sl:

yes we should use makkah not mecca....

afriend
04-01-2006, 03:53 PM

You really think us kafirs have nothing better to do with our time - like cure cancer?
LOL

that was hilarious.

So much sarcasm in 2 sentences...LOL

But ok, Mecca is a bad word, but what's with the blaming game on the west?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
al-basit
04-01-2006, 04:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram
But ok, Mecca is a bad word, but what's with the blaming game on the west?

I'm pretty disappointed by the replies as I clearly pointed out, this was a friends theory forwarded to me. I simply asked for evidence to help me come to a solution on what to believe. Obviously, if I can't ask for help without being bombarded with criticism then I shouldn't ask for any at all.

------
04-01-2006, 04:03 PM
Awww bro I'm sure someone will help You :) I'll try to look something up inshallah...

afriend
04-01-2006, 04:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by al-basit
I'm pretty disappointed by the replies as I clearly pointed out, this was a friends theory forwarded to me. I simply asked for evidence to help me come to a solution on what to believe. Obviously, if I can't ask for help without being bombarded with criticism then I shouldn't ask for any at all.
OK whoops...

But that's my suggestion to your freind.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend u or anything.....But I don't think eveidence is required, it is clear that ur freind is exaggerating a bit too much.

Tell him that it is not healthy to be paranoid.

Muslim Soldier
04-01-2006, 06:15 PM
form what I know, Mecca can not be written in arabic and hence is not the orignal version.
Makkah is the orignal one.

HeiGou
04-01-2006, 07:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Soldier
form what I know, Mecca can not be written in arabic and hence is not the orignal version.
Makkah is the orignal one.
Correct me if I am wrong, but Arabic is written without vowel sounds isn't it? So however you write it in Arabic, it is a "M" sound, followed by a hard "C" sound or two with a vowel indicator on the end?

How many different wasy can you write this in English?

Does it matter in the long run?

And people who insist on refering to Christians and Jews as kafirs or People of the Book instead of Christians and Jews are not really going to complain about one wrong vowel sound are they?

itsme01
04-01-2006, 07:09 PM
Mecca or Mekka, it does not matter - dont pay attention to "chained" emails...kids these days...'

:w:

Muslim Soldier
04-01-2006, 07:44 PM
it doesnt matter

S_87
04-01-2006, 08:51 PM

ok mecca- generally does not refer to makkatul muakaramah... um point A they are pronounced differently.
point B- type in mecca and makkah in umm google and im sure the results wont be the same

dictionary definition for mecca
-A place that is regarded as the center of an activity or interest.
-A goal to which adherents of a religious faith or practice fervently aspire.
-A place visited by many people: a mecca for tourists.

there clearly is a difference between Makkah, Arabia and mecca.

and feel free to disagree if you want :okay:

HeiGou
04-01-2006, 09:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
ok mecca- generally does not refer to makkatul muakaramah... um point A they are pronounced differently.
Arabic and many other languages spoken by Muslims are written without vowels (or so I remember) - are you sure they are pronounced differently?

point B- type in mecca and makkah in umm google and im sure the results wont be the same
But google is so very literal.

dictionary definition for mecca
-A place that is regarded as the center of an activity or interest.
-A goal to which adherents of a religious faith or practice fervently aspire.
-A place visited by many people: a mecca for tourists.

there clearly is a difference between Makkah, Arabia and mecca.

and feel free to disagree if you want :okay:
Except English does not remain static so that the original word "Mecca" for what you now call "Makkah" has come to mean those other things too - by extention.

dincugur
04-01-2006, 09:38 PM
The definitions for Mecca given by a brother above does not include anything related with prostitution.

This resembles the Turkey problem of some of the people here in Turkey. They advocate writing and saying "Turkiye" instead of "Turkey" just because they want to silence some stupid English-speaking people who are amused by turkey being a bird's name also.

If what they say on TV etc is historically true, some kind of a bird/chicken that resembles a "turkey" was sent to England by an Ottoman sultan. Later they came to call a bird that came from the New World "turkey".

I am not annoyed by this. I even joke saying that I live in Chicken.

[Likewise, we call the turkey bird "Hindi", which meant "Indian" in old use.]

Skillganon
04-02-2006, 12:20 AM
Well, if their was any information of the word mecca being a word for prostitute or soemthing, than show it. Otherwise we are grasping at straws.

Now, their is no problem since we using the word Makkah! Unless my friend you thing that also mean's the above!

vpb
04-02-2006, 12:43 AM
I don't see any problem saying Mecca, or Makkah, because people in Germany call their country Deutchland, so many countries/cities in the world, in foreign languages are a little bit different.

Peace.

vpb
04-02-2006, 12:46 AM
dincugur, is Turkey considered as chicken?

iok burda :D

Muslim Knight
04-02-2006, 01:36 AM
Naturally I would go for Makkah. But Mecca is derived from Makkah.

Inshallah
04-02-2006, 08:31 AM
stick to 1 makkah

al-basit
04-02-2006, 11:13 AM
How about we just use the word 'Makkah' anyway. That way, if 'Mecca' means something else than we won't be using the wrong word.

afriend
04-02-2006, 11:17 AM
Well to think abt it, if we spell it mecca it wud mean that the "E" will make a "eh" sound, but spell it as Makkah The "A" will hav a "ah" sound....

waji
04-02-2006, 11:30 AM

i think it is good if we write in one way like
Makkah

and many muslims write these Inshallah ...etc
we should write them like Insha'Allah, Masha'Allah
and so on

do take care when u r writing

:w:

al-basit
04-02-2006, 11:36 AM
Makkah it is then!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.