/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Rice met by more protests on tour

DaSangarTalib
04-01-2006, 03:59 PM
US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said she was enjoying her trip to the north-west of England despite continued anti-war protests.

^what a star^

She was speaking at Blackburn Town Hall on Saturday following a meeting with Muslim and civic leaders.

Earlier, Ms Rice and Foreign Secretary Jack Straw arrived to noise from both protesters and supporters.

"I find them an exercise in democracy, I don't find them off-putting or disconcerting," she told reporters.

Mr Straw described crowds of supporters outside as "remarkable" and dismissed the number of demonstrators as "not large".

"They (protesters) said they were going to get bus loads and bus loads in. Well they didn't do very well," said Mr Straw.

"If they had asked me I could have done better for them."

Ms Rice described her meeting with Muslim leaders as "stimulating and candid", and reiterated the warm welcome she had received from a number of local people.

"The opportunity to come here and be in this diverse and very interesting community that has come back from very tough times has really been stimulating for me," she said.

"I've enjoyed it and I'm glad I did it and I look forward to seeing other parts of other countries in the world because I think it's important to get outside of capitals."

As Mr Straw and Ms Rice left the town hall there was booing from about 200 demonstrators gathered outside.

The pair did not pause, as they had earlier, to wave at supporters who had gathered further down the street.

Judith Hodgkinson, 35, from Blackburn, who was among the supporters, said: "I think it is a major coup for Blackburn that she (Ms Rice) is here.

"She's a very powerful woman and she makes very important decisions. To me it's astonishing to have a person like that in a town like Blackburn."

Mrs Hodgkinson's view contrasted with protesters who booed Ms Rice and branded her a "war criminal".

Amar Hassain, 23, a security guard from Manchester, said: "I think it's wrong that we have allowed Condoleezza Rice to come here.

"We are against the invasion of Iraq. It was a criminal offence."

After a private lunch with some journalists, Ms Rice is due to return to Liverpool where she will visit the Maritime Museum.

No mistake

On Friday, Ms Rice said she was not surprised by the anti-war protests that had greeted her visits to a Lancashire school and a concert at the Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts (LIPA).

Earlier, Mosque leaders in Blackburn withdrew their invitation for Ms Rice to visit them amid warnings of protests from a group of Muslims, which included members of the Stop the War Coalition.

It said it hoped thousands of people would join a march and rally against US foreign policy.

On the BBC's Today programme on Saturday Ms Rice said there had been mistakes made in Iraq, saying: "If you've ever done anything then you've probably not done it perfectly."

But she added: "It was not a mistake to overthrow Saddam Hussein. It was not a mistake to unleash the forces of democracy in the Middle East."

The visit to the UK is designed to repay a visit Mr Straw made to Ms Rice's hometown of Birmingham, Alabama, last year.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Knut Hamsun
04-01-2006, 08:23 PM
What more could 2 politicians do for these people? Bow and kiss their feet?

Darktide
04-01-2006, 10:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Knut Hamsun
What more could 2 politicians do for these people? Bow and kiss their feet?
Stop killing people?? perhaps??

Darktide
04-01-2006, 10:08 PM
Judith Hodgkinson, 35, from Blackburn, who was among the supporters, said: "I think it is a major coup for Blackburn that she (Ms Rice) is here.

"She's a very powerful woman and she makes very important decisions. To me it's astonishing to have a person like that in a town like Blackburn."

??????????????????????????????

Thats the extent of what she knows about her? and they call this a supporter?

is this the best she could hope for????

You get some half wit to support her and you think that shows she's good?

what a damn joke!

a powerful women who makes decisons!? in blackburn? WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Could have sent my aunt down there to impress this thick lady!!

What utter ignorance!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.