/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islam and dinosaurs..

Sanaa'
04-01-2006, 08:19 PM
What do we say about dinosaurs?.. there's no mention about them in the Quran is there?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Maimunah
04-01-2006, 08:29 PM
allah knows best about them. we cant say they never existed coz allah says in the quraan "Glory to Allah, Who created in pairs all things that the earth produces, as well as their own (human) kind and (other) things of which they have no knowledge" suraa yasiin verse 36. so allahu aalam:)

Muezzin
04-01-2006, 08:57 PM
Dinosaurs are so cool that only Allah could have created them.

HeiGou
04-01-2006, 09:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Dinosaurs are so cool that only Allah could have created them.
I am not even a Muslim and I'd still give you a rep for that answer (if only I could)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Mawaddah
04-03-2006, 07:02 PM
I was talking about this with one of my students the other day, she claims that since there is no mention of them in the Qur'aan, then it's not part of our beleif to say they existed. I for one think that this is not a valid excuse at all since there's all sorts of proof that Dinosaurs existed. Just because Allah did not specifically say " And We created Dinosaurs" it does not mean that they were not created were they? I mean the proof is right there :p

S_87
04-03-2006, 08:45 PM
:sl:

if they were created Alhumdulillah, if not Alhumdulillah.
we shouldnt dwell too much on these things though :D

azim
04-03-2006, 08:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AsilahRana
I was talking about this with one of my students the other day, she claims that since there is no mention of them in the Qur'aan, then it's not part of our beleif to say they existed. I for one think that this is not a valid excuse at all since there's all sorts of proof that Dinosaurs existed. Just because Allah did not specifically say " And We created Dinosaurs" it does not mean that they were not created were they? I mean the proof is right there :p
I guess to believe in dinosaurs isn't part of the aqeedah - but to not believe in them because the Quran doesn't mention them is a bit stupid. It's like saying "I don't believe in my mother because the Quran didn't mention her".

Mawaddah
04-03-2006, 08:52 PM
^ EXACTLY!!! ;)

And anyways, like sis Amani mentioned, it's nothing for us to dwell on anyway

HeiGou
04-04-2006, 08:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AsilahRana
And anyways, like sis Amani mentioned, it's nothing for us to dwell on anyway
Why is it nothing to dwell on? You don't think that studying God's handiwork is a worthwhile occupation in and of itself?

Muezzin
04-04-2006, 08:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HeiGou
I am not even a Muslim and I'd still give you a rep for that answer (if only I could)
Sure you can. You just click the little rep thingy.

...um, I'm not asking for reps, contrary to the site rules. Perish the thought.

Nawal89
04-04-2006, 08:50 PM
i guess dinosaurs are those things..if you want to believe in it..no sin..if you dont want to no sin. They sure are cool though :D

sapphire
04-04-2006, 08:53 PM
Allah knows best...me n my sis were just discussing this.....erm dunno wat happened to the convo...........guess we'll resume it someday.......i wonder..........

Eliwen
04-04-2006, 08:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sapphire
Allah knows best...me n my sis were just discussing this.....erm dunno wat happened to the convo...........guess we'll resume it someday.......i wonder..........
Lol, it was this thread that made me start that topic with you :p

Malaikah
04-14-2006, 12:02 PM

Personally, im rather interested in knowing whether dinasours were around before prophet Adam or at the same time. though i would assume before since whatever killed all those animals probably would have killed all the people too.. maybe.. i dont know, but still cool to contemplate it :D

Ummu Amatullah
04-14-2006, 02:43 PM

Allah Almighty did mention dinosaurs in the Noble Quran. While the word "dinosaurs" is a modern word that refers to the gigantic animals that existed perhaps millions of years ago, Allah Almighty referred to all created "beasts" as "dabbah". A "dabbah" in the Noble Quran consists of all animals, including the dinosaurs.

"Behold! in the creation of the heavens and the earth; in the alternation of the night and the day; in the sailing of the ships through the ocean for the profit of mankind; in the rain which God Sends down from the skies, and the life which He gives therewith to an earth that is dead; in the beasts of all kinds that He scatters through the earth; in the change of the winds, and the clouds which they Trail like their slaves between the sky and the earth;- (Here) indeed are Signs for a people that are wise. (The Noble Quran, 2:164)"

"He created the heavens without any pillars that ye can see; He set on the earth mountains standing firm, lest it should shake with you; and He scattered through it beasts of all kinds. We send down rain from the sky, and produce on the earth every kind of noble creature, in pairs. (The Noble Quran, 31:10)"

Notice in Noble Verse 31:10, Allah Almighty said that He created the mountains to prevent the earth from shaking (which had been scientifically proven to be true),and then after that He, the Almighty, created beasts and scattered them throughout the land. These first beasts that were created before mankind are what we call today "dinosaurs".

:w:
Source

Muslim Soldier
04-14-2006, 02:53 PM
Allah has craeted so mny animals but not even 1% of them are mentioned in the quraan.

Kittygyal
04-14-2006, 02:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Soldier
Allah has craeted so mny animals but not even 1% of them are mentioned in the quraan.

Salam,

May i ask why should that be in the koran:?

W.Salam

Muslim Soldier
04-14-2006, 03:36 PM
I was just showing that just because somthing is not there in the quran doesnt mean it didnt exist

root
04-15-2006, 03:36 PM
Definition of beast:

animal: a living organism characterized by voluntary movement

Muezzin
04-16-2006, 05:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by root
Definition of beast:

animal: a living organism characterized by voluntary movement
Here's a picture of a certain beast:

Not a dinosaur, granted, but just as cool.

ummAbdillah
04-16-2006, 05:45 PM
:lol:
Why did dinosaurs become extinct?
(allah knows if Dinosaurs lived or not)

root
04-16-2006, 05:48 PM
Why did dinosaurs become extinct?
Comet impacted into the earth, 95% of all species at that time went extinct.

ummAbdillah
04-16-2006, 05:53 PM
salaam
am not sure if Islam agrees with that,
but that for the reply though :)

Muezzin
04-16-2006, 06:15 PM
What about the 'evolved into birds' theory? Is that still as... out-of-vogue as it was just before the release of Jurassic Park? I'm not really clued up on the latest extinction theories.

However, I have heard of a theory that said a virus wiped them out. I don't really like the thought that such awesome beasts dropped dead because of food poisoning though. It kind of kills the romanticism.

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
04-16-2006, 07:05 PM
http://www.islamonline.net/Tarbia/en...uestionID=5080

on dinosaurs

root
04-16-2006, 08:12 PM
What about the 'evolved into birds' theory? Is that still as... out-of-vogue as it was just before the release of Jurassic Park? I'm not really clued up on the latest extinction theories.
I don't know myself niether but finding a feathered dinosaur was an interesting find to say the least.

However, I have heard of a theory that said a virus wiped them out. I don't really like the thought that such awesome beasts dropped dead because of food poisoning though. It kind of kills the romanticism.
Firstly, the romantacism ain't diminished. Food poison is caused by pathogenic bacteriums and are not a virus. I think the problem with the virus theory is that a virus that hits hard can't cross differing species as rapidly as is required to see the effects that we do. Secondly it cannot explain why 95% of all life below the KT Boundary are not found above the KT Boundary unless of course a virus wiped em all out and then the comet hit earth which we don't have any evidence that this was the case. Finally, a virus on land animals! how did it kill off most of the fish life too? Afterall the impact would have boiled the sea literally killing off most fish at that time. A land virus couold not have achieved this.

Any theory for the dinosaurs must be able to establish exactly why we don't find dinosaur fossils above the KT Boundary and explain why we have the KT boundary if it was not a comet strike that caused it...

My mind is open, so far. Comet strike hits answers all the questions nicely.......

gbrl
04-20-2006, 01:29 PM
On dinosaurs from Islam-QA
Question :

Imaam, can you please tell me if it is impermissible to believe that there were dinosaurs on the earth before Adaam and Eve were created?

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

Allaah created Adam (peace be upon him) on a Friday, the sixth day from the beginning of creation. Some texts mention what was created on the previous five days, in brief and general terms, but as to the details of what was created, Allaah knows best about that. Questions like this, on which no belief or deeds are to be based, are just meaningless distractions that are of no benefit. Faith does not increase or decrease according to whether one believes in dinosaurs or not. It was reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade us to occupy ourselves with things that cause confusion and are not clear. We also know that people differ in their views as to whether these dinosaurs existed or they are just figments of the imagination. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid (www.islam-qa.com)

http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=en...&QR=3668&dgn=4

root
04-20-2006, 02:26 PM
Allaah created Adam (peace be upon him) on a Friday, the sixth day from the beginning of creation.
OK cool, I suppose this is the 6 day creation which possibly could be 8. But let us not be concerned with contradictions and agree he is referencing "days of creation"

Some texts mention what was created on the previous five days, in brief and general terms, but as to the details of what was created,
Does that mean that dinosaurs were not mentioned?

Allaah knows best about that.
So he does not know then!

Questions like this, on which no belief or deeds are to be based, are just meaningless distractions that are of no benefit. Faith does not increase or decrease according to whether one believes in dinosaurs or not.
I agree with him in as much that it does not effect faith. I disagree that they are meaningless distractions.

It was reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade us to occupy ourselves with things that cause confusion and are not clear.
Perhaps he might have a point. Thinking outside the box is pointless if you believe right! besides whuch they do say ignorance is bliss.

We also know that people differ in their views as to whether these dinosaurs existed or they are just figments of the imagination.
How can you have a view if you forbade to occupy yourself in finding out

And Allaah knows best.
Quite fitting really.

Fishman
05-21-2006, 10:06 AM
My mind is open, so far. Comet strike hits answers all the questions nicely.......

Ever heard of the verneshot hypothesis? When I first read about it, I thought it sounded slightly cranky, but then I found out that it was proposed by qualified geologists. The verneshot hypothesis states that gas rising from the mantle can get trapped under a cratonic mass. The pressure builds up over billions of years, and finally the craton gives way, causing a huge explosion. The craton then falls into the hole left by the missing gas, which contracts like a gullet because of the vacuum created. The pulverised craton is shot into the air like soap being squeezed, with a 120 gigaton blast. The pieces of craton are launched into the upper atmosphere at sub-oribital speeds, and then fall back down like meteorites. Everything bigger than a mouse is killed.

The verneshot hypothesis has been invoked to explain why huge meteorite impacts and flood basalt eruptions often occur together, in extinction events such as the K/T boundary and the end-permian. And, amazingly, some evidence has been found. In three flood basalt provinces, including the Deccan Traps in India, large, circular gravitational anomalies have been found. These are exactly what would be expected if the verneshot hypothesis is true. What would absolutely prove this hypothesis, however, is the discovery of Indian rocks in the Chixilumb (sp?) crater.

root
05-21-2006, 10:13 PM
An interesting "Hypothosis".

However the KT boundary countains a very high proportion of "Iridium" which is a very rare metal on earth but found in high quantities of meteorites. However, we have had several mass extinction events to which this may have had a role to play.

it is very interesting, and who knows the meteor impact may have done severe damage and inadvertantly caused something similar to this hypothosis finishing the last dinosaur survivors off. Perhaps even being responsible for a mass extinction event since their are a few of them that we know of, and probably more that we dont.

Woodrow
05-21-2006, 10:22 PM
If the Qur'an were to mention everything that exists or has existed by name and description, it would contain a lot of information that is not necessary for our De'en

Skillganon
05-21-2006, 10:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
If the Qur'an were to mention everything that exists or has existed by name and description, it would contain a lot of information that is not necessary for our De'en
Excellent point! :brother:

firdaw
05-21-2006, 10:59 PM
dinosur are so scary

Hawa
05-22-2006, 12:11 AM
All this science mumbo jumbo :rollseyes .. wasnt Adam (ra) said to be over 60 ft tall?
ok maybe 60 is an exaggeration but the early humans were huge, therefore it's safe to say even the animals roaming around at that time were enormous..
that should explain the bones..

Fishman
05-22-2006, 05:09 PM
An interesting "Hypothosis".

However the KT boundary countains a very high proportion of "Iridium" which is a very rare metal on earth but found in high quantities of meteorites. However, we have had several mass extinction events to which this may have had a role to play.

it is very interesting, and who knows the meteor impact may have done severe damage and inadvertantly caused something similar to this hypothosis finishing the last dinosaur survivors off. Perhaps even being responsible for a mass extinction event since their are a few of them that we know of, and probably more that we dont.
I don't know what you mean by putting the inverted commas around hypothesis, the verneshot hypothesis has evidence, was created by serious scientists, and explains more than the comet/volcanism hypothesis. At least three times, the Earth has been struck by massive impacts and flood basalt eruptions, both of which are extremely rare events. A coincidence that huge is unlikely.

I read that there is evidence that the upper mantle contains Iridium. But I also read that it doesn't. Confusion!!!

Don't be scared of dinosaurs, Firdaw! All they can do to you now is give you a bad peck or (in the case of large ones) a few broken bones.

Hawa, I read on a site that Adam and Hawa (pbut) were 60-feet tall in Paradise, and shrunk when they came to Earth. And dinosaur bones are different to human bones in shape.

root
05-22-2006, 05:20 PM
Fishman -

Perhaps you should read this:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...NGPRAB3QC1.DTL

I think you will find it interesting.......

catmando
05-29-2006, 12:33 AM
None of the godbooks mention dinosaurs because humans did not exist in those times. I think the best thing to do is separate physical science from religion and integrate both into your world-view. Don't worry about your god condemning you for believing in science because what we discover about the world is how he(she, it) caused it to be. Science is a 'work in progress' so to speak because all aspects of it are being continually changed and updated as we acquire more information.

If you have a chance to go to a museum where dino fossils are displayed, by all means do so. It's sooooo cool to see those big bones, eye sockets and teeth staring down at you. :awesome: :happy:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.