/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How to behave with our parents when they get older

sadik
04-02-2006, 07:26 PM
An old man was sitting in the courtyard of his house along with his son who had received a high education. Suddenly a crow perched on a wall of the house. The father asked the son: What is this?

The son replied: It is a crow.

After a little while the father again asked the son: What is this?

The son said: It is a crow.

After a few minutes the father asked his son the third time: What is this?

The son said: Father, I have just now told you that this is a crow.

After a little while the old father again asked his son the fourth time: what is this?

By this time some statement of irritation was felt in the son's tone when he rebuffed his father: Father! It is a crow, a crow.

A little after the father again asked his son: What is this?

This time the son replied to his father with a vein of temper.

Father: You are always repeating the same question, although I have told you so many times that it is a crow. Are you not able to understand this?

The father went to his room and came back with an old diary. Opening a page he asked his son to read what was written. What the son read were the following words written in the diary:

'Today my little son was sitting with me in the courtyard, when a crow came there. My son asked me twenty-five times what it was and I told him twenty-five times that it was a crow and I did not at all feel irritated. I rather felt affection for my innocent child.'

The father then explained to his son the difference between a father's and a son's attitude. While you were a little child you asked me this question twenty-five times and I felt no irritation in replying to the question twenty-five times and when today I asked you the same question only five times, you felt irritated, annoyed and impatient with me.

Allah mentions in Surah Bani-Israil 17:23-24

And your Lord has decreed that you worship none but Him. And that you be dutiful to your parents. If one of them or both of them attain old age in your life, say not to them a word of disrespect, nor shout at them but address them in terms of honour.

And lower unto them the wing of submission and humility through mercy, and say: "My Lord! Bestow on them Your Mercy as they did bring me up when I was small."

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Light Of Life
04-02-2006, 08:19 PM
Salam,

That was a very beautiful story representing one of the crucial guidelines of Islam; to honor and respect ones parents, and to be kind and patient with them as they were with you when you were a child. Thank you for sharing. :)

Abdul-Raouf
07-21-2006, 12:42 PM
An 80 year old man was sitting on the sofa in his house along with his 45-year old highly educated son.

Suddenly a crow perched on their window.

The Father asked his Son, "What is this?"
The Son replied "It is a crow".

After a few minutes, the Father asked his Son the 2nd time, "What is this?"
The Son said "Father, I have just now told you "It's a crow".

After a little while, the old Father again asked his Son the 3rd time, "What is this?"
At this time some _expression of irritation was felt in the Son's tone when he said to his Father with a rebuff.

"It's a crow, a crow".

A little after, the Father again asked his Son t he 4th time, "What is this?"
This time the Son shouted at his Father, "Why do you keep asking me the same question again and again,

although I have told you so many times 'IT IS A CROW'. Are you not able to understand this?"

A little later the Father went to his room and came back with an old tattered diary, which he had maintained

since his Son was born. On opening a page, he asked his Son to read that page. When the son read it, the

following words were written in the diary: -

"Today my little son aged three was sitting with me on the sofa, when a crow was sitting on the window.

My Son asked me 23 times what it was, and I replied to him all 23 times that it was a Crow.

I hugged him lovingly each time h e asked me the same question again and again for 23 times.

I did not at all feel irritated. I rather felt affection for my innocent child".

While the little child asked him 23 times "What is this", the Father had felt no irritation

in replying to the same question all 23 times and when today the Father asked his Son the same question

just 4 times, the Son felt irritated and annoyed.

So...:)

If your parents attain old age, do not repulse them or look at them as a burden, but speak to them

a gracious word, be cool, obedient, humble and kind to them. Be considerate to your parents.

From today say this aloud, "I want to see my parents happy forever. They have cared for me ever since I was

a little child. They have always showered their selfless love on me. They crossed all mountains and valleys
without seeing the storm and heat to make me a person presentable in the society today".

One kind word can warm three winter months (Japanese proverb)

Abdul-Raouf
08-11-2006, 01:39 PM
make sure everyone read this and folllow

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Al-Zaara
08-11-2006, 02:31 PM
:sl:
Aww, such a sweet story! I think I've read it before... :)
JazakAllah khair for sharing!!

:w:

Kittygyal
08-22-2006, 06:18 PM
salam.
* P A R E N T S *

An old man was sitting in the courtyard of his house along with his son who
had received tertiary education. Suddenly a crow perched on a wall of the
house.

The father asked the son: 'What is this?' The son replied: 'It is a crow.'

After a little while the father again asked the son: 'What is this?' The son
said: 'It is a crow.' After a few minutes the father asked his son the third
time: 'What is this?' The son said: 'Father, I have just now told you that
this is a crow.'

After a little while the old father again asked his son the fourth time:
'What is this?' At this time some expression of irritation was felt in the
son's tone when he said to his father with a rebuff, 'Father! It is a crow,
a crow.'

A little after the father again asked his son: 'What is this?' This time the
son replied to his father with a vein of temper. Father: 'You are always
repeating the same question, although I have told you so many times that it
is a crow. Are you not able to understand this?'

A little later the father went to his room and came back with an old diary.
Opening a page he asked his son to read that. When the son read it the
following words were written in the diary: "Today my little son was sitting
with me in the courtyard, when a crow came there. My son asked me
twenty-five times what it was and I told him twenty-five times that it was a
crow and I did not at all feel irritated. I rather felt affection for the
innocent child."

The father then told the son the difference between a father and a son's
attitude, 'While a little child he asked me this question twenty-five times
and I felt no irritation in replying to the question twenty-five times and
when today I asked him the same question only five times, he felt irritated
and annoyed.'

"And your Lord has decreed that you worship none but Him, And that you be
dutiful to your parents, If one of them or both of them attain old age with
you, do not say 'uff' to them, nor repulse them, but speak to them a
gracious word. And lower to them the wing of submission and humbleness out
of mercy to both of them and say: 'My Lord! Have mercy on them both, as they
cared for me and brought me up when I was a little child.'" (17:23-24)

"And worship Allah, Ascribe nothing as partner to Him, and (show) kindness
to parents.." (4:36)

It is narrated from Abdullah bin Masud (radhiallahu anhu) that he asked the
Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) which act is the best of all in the
sight of Allah. Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: "It is prayer
at its appointed time." He (radhiallahu anhu) asked which was the next best
act after prayer. Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: "Nice
behaviour with the parents." He (radhiallahu anhu) asked which was the next
best act after that. Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: "It is
Jihad (holy war) in the path of Allah." (Bukhari)

"If they (your parents) compel you to commit shirk (polytheism) with Me,
then do not obey them, but behave with them in the world with kindness"
(31:15)

According to this verse Allah forbids you to obey your parents if they force
you to become mushriks (polytheists) but He commands you to behave with
them, nicely (still) in the life of this world, because THEY ARE YOUR
PARENTS!

A person once asked the Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam), "What is
the right of the parents over their children?" He (sallallahu alayhi
wasallam) answered: "They are your heaven and hell." (Ibn Majah)

This beautiful Hadith answers in just three words (in the original Arabic )
not only what, but also why. We are to honour them, serve them, and take
care of them in such a way that pleases them. For we will find the pleasure
of Allah in the pleasure of our parents. On the other hand, if a person is
disrespectful, disobedient, or careless toward his parents, he has just
opened his door to hell through this behaviour.
w.salam

ansar.tajudeen
09-15-2007, 02:25 PM
How to behave with our parents when they get older

There is a story about an 80 year old man who was sitting on the sofa in his house along with his 45 year old highly educated son. Suddenly a crow perched on their window sill.

The father asked his son, "What is this?"

The son replied, "It is a crow".

After a few minutes, the father asked his son the 2nd time, "What is this?"

The son said "Father, I just told you, It's a crow".

After a little while, the old father again asked his son the 3rd time, What is this?"

The son said with some irritation, "It's a crow, a crow".

A little after, the father again asked his son for the 4th time, "What is this?"

This time the son shouted at his father, "Why do you keep asking me the same question again and again, although I have told you so many times 'IT IS A CROW'. Can't you understand this?"

A little later the father went to his room and came back with an old tattered diary, which he had maintained since his son was born. On opening a page, he asked his son to read that page.

When the son read it, the following words were written in the diary :-

"Today my little son aged three was sitting with me on the sofa, when a crow was sitting on the window. My son asked me 23 times what it was, and I replied to him all 23 times that it was a crow. I hugged him lovingly each time he asked me the same question again and again all 23 times".

So..

If your parents attain old age, do not repulse them or look at them as a burden, but speak to them a gracious word, be obedient, humble and kind to them. Be considerate to your parents.

Allah said in the Qur'an:

17:24 and spread over them humbly the wings of thy tenderness, and say: "O my Sustainer! Bestow Thy grace upon them, even as they cherished and reared me when I was a child!"

Old parents are a blessing. The dua (blessing, supplication to Allah for your well-being) that they give can never be given by anyone else.

That is why the Prophet (SAS) said, "YOur parents are like the two doors of Jannah (Paradise). When one dies, one door closes and when the other dies, the other door closes."

So make sure that your own entry to Jannah is assured before the two doors close.
For those whose parents are no more, make a lot of dua for them; give charity in their name and ask Allah to forgive them and enter them into the Jannah.

For those who have parents who are not old, may their blessing be with you for many years to come.

sarah85
09-15-2007, 03:56 PM
lovely story:)

☆ღUmm Uthmanღ☆
09-15-2007, 05:38 PM
salamu alaikum..JazakumAllahu Khairun..very beautiful, masha'Allah.May Allah (swt) bless us & forgive our errors, Aameen. wasalaamu alaikum

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.