/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else doing A-levels?

Light Of Life
04-02-2006, 08:42 PM
If so, how're you finding them? And, what subjects are you studying?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Sister_6038
04-02-2006, 08:45 PM
im doin my a levels in maths, english literature and classical civilisation and all i can say is....hmmmpft thank Allah i dnt have time to wallow in self pity and regret the choices ive made :D:D

Light Of Life
04-02-2006, 08:48 PM
Salam sister,

I assume you're in your second year of A-level? If so, where have you applied in terms of university, and what are you going to study, insha'Allah? :thankyou:

04-03-2006, 01:04 PM
Assalaam
I'm doing my A levels right now in Biology, Chemistry and Maths. But i wish i could just drop them all and do an 'aalimah course. I mean what if i die then how will they help me?:rollseyes
salaam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
gladTidings
04-03-2006, 01:21 PM
mean what if i die then how will they help me?
You will die one day :P

Having worldly knowledge helps one to appreciate and understand Allahs creation and His attributes.

Back on topic, Im studying Chemistry, Biology and Psychology at A level.

------
04-03-2006, 01:25 PM
Therez another thread of this somewhere :rollseyes

Sis786
04-03-2006, 01:45 PM
I did them i was the first year to get EMA and do the AS levels.. so i part of history and still young lol

With A Levels they have been made a lot easier with the whole breakdown of AS level.

BTW i did Business, English and Sociology

04-03-2006, 01:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Çhêrrÿ
You will die one day :P

Having worldly knowledge helps one to appreciate and understand Allahs creation and His attributes.

Back on topic, Im studying Chemistry, Biology and Psychology at A level.
Salaam
i just dropped psychology last month coz i hate studying. I don't c how spending so much of ur life studying can help u understand Allah's creation. I mean i've done my GCSE's so that should be enough.
Learning about ur religion is what'll actually help us understand everything.

------
04-03-2006, 01:51 PM
Yh but u gtta learn stuff 2 liv in dis world like u gets me

Eliwen
04-03-2006, 02:31 PM
I'm doing AS: ICT, Psychology, Sociology and Geography...

04-03-2006, 02:49 PM
yeah but what's better than learning about islam?

Eliwen
04-03-2006, 03:54 PM
Asma1: You're not gonna get anywhere without education...If you leave school after GCSE you're most probably not gonna get a good jod...so how will you provide for your family?

Of course for women we don't have to work...

aisha_muslimah
04-03-2006, 04:18 PM
no i am not doing a level

Snowflake
04-03-2006, 06:40 PM
No sorry.. but ur question reminded me of a true story regarding A-levels..

This guy we knew was a bit slow. So anyway one day his mate introduced him to a couple of his female friends. All was going well until one girl asked him what he was studying. He told her he was doing his A-levels. She then proceeded to ask him where he was studying. Lolzzzzzzz he told her he was studying at Aston University!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

seeker_of_ilm
04-03-2006, 08:36 PM
I'm doing AS right now, but I don't feel theres any point me working for TOP grades, I mean, most of the good Uni's and Courses with AAB-ABB offers, take into consideration GCSE's and mine were OK-ish. So I may as well settle for a mediocre university, mediocre course.

Damn if only I knew how important GCSE's are in certain things:rant:

seeker_of_ilm
04-03-2006, 08:42 PM
^ Just thought I'd add, in an ideal world I would have liked to have served the army, but its "un-islamic" so yeah....

Sister_6038
04-05-2006, 08:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Light Of Life
Salam sister,

I assume you're in your second year of A-level? If so, where have you applied in terms of university, and what are you going to study, insha'Allah? :thankyou:
:w: sis
im going to be doing Radiotherpay....:rollseyes...inshaAllah im going to the valley of the scousers ;D ;D.....was apprhensive at first but Allah knows best :happy:

Snowflake
04-05-2006, 09:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by seeker_of_ilm
^ Just thought I'd add, in an ideal world I would have liked to have served the army, but its "un-islamic" so yeah....
You can serve the army. Yes. You can be a soldier of Allah and fight for Islam. :)

------
04-05-2006, 09:25 AM
:sl:

Learning about Islam is important than anything else in the world.

Your deen and religion is more important than a whole load of nonsense about maths and science.

:w:

HeiGou
04-05-2006, 09:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pagal Kuri
Learning about Islam is important than anything else in the world.

Your deen and religion is more important than a whole load of nonsense about maths and science.
This is fine as a guide for individuals, but is it a sensible piece of advice to offer all Muslims? It is just not possible for every single Muslim to learn nothing but Islam. People have to work to support their communities and families. There can be no mosques, no Imams, unless there are people who can earn a living and give them support. Think about what you are telling young Muslims? Do you think that perhaps it would be better to say to young Muslim students that they have an obligation to work hard to support their families? They have an obligation to study and get into University if they can to increase their skills and knowledge base and so enrich the entire Muslim community? And that they also have a obligation to study their religion no less seriously? If you tell young people that maths and science is nonsense they will not study it. Do you think you have any responsibility here to make sure young Muslims get an education and don't just sit around on the dole?

aamirsaab
04-05-2006, 09:34 AM
It's all about getting the balance right. I know a guy mashallah he's hafiz and he got all A's in his A level - surely a role model for us all.

You need good grades to get into a decent job so that you can provide for your family. Similarly, you need to be a good muslim to get into jannah.

p.s.: HeiGou is correct.

------
04-05-2006, 09:52 AM
Everyone has their own opinion

Peace :okay:

04-05-2006, 09:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by HeiGou
This is fine as a guide for individuals, but is it a sensible piece of advice to offer all Muslims? It is just not possible for every single Muslim to learn nothing but Islam. People have to work to support their communities and families. There can be no mosques, no Imams, unless there are people who can earn a living and give them support. Think about what you are telling young Muslims? Do you think that perhaps it would be better to say to young Muslim students that they have an obligation to work hard to support their families? They have an obligation to study and get into University if they can to increase their skills and knowledge base and so enrich the entire Muslim community? And that they also have a obligation to study their religion no less seriously? If you tell young people that maths and science is nonsense they will not study it. Do you think you have any responsibility here to make sure young Muslims get an education and don't just sit around on the dole?

Please can u remember that i am a sister not a brother. It is the mans job 2 do the community work.

HeiGou
04-05-2006, 09:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Asma1
Please can u remember that i am a sister not a brother. It is the mans job 2 do the community work.
I shall try to remember. But it does not matter in my opinion. Educated women produced educated children. All women need options in case things turn out badly. Girls should study hard and get good marks and go to University. If I remember correctly, and I am not a Muslim so it does not matter anyway, Muhammed said "Seek knowledge, even all the way to China". He did not say, "if you're a boy, seek knowledge as long as nothing better is on TV".

------
04-05-2006, 10:02 AM
Muhammed said "Seek knowledge, even all the way to China".
Hadith please? Reference?

HeiGou
04-05-2006, 10:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pagal Kuri
Hadith please? Reference?
Dammit. I thought someone would ask. It is not a good one because it is not in Bukhari, Abu Muslim, or Abu Dawud. But I googled it and got,

"Seek Knowledge as far as China"

Hadith of the Prophet

"Seek knowledge even as far as China."

Hadith HASAN MASHHÛR - "fair, famous."
Note: Applied to a hadith, the term mashhur refers to a type of ahad narration that has five to nine narrators at each link of its chain and is therefore nearly mass-narrated. Note that this is not an index of its authenticity as a mashhûr hadith may be either sahîh, hasan, or da`îf. Also, the label of mashhûr is sometimes given to merely famous narrations which are not nearly-mass-narrated.

Narrated from Anas by al-Bayhaqi in Shu`ab al-Iman and al-Madkhal, Ibn `Abd al-Barr in Jami` Bayan al-`Ilm, and al-Khatib through three chains at the opening of his al-Rihla fi Talab al-Hadith (p. 71-76 #1-3) where our shaykh Dr. Nur al-Din `Itr declares it weak (da`îf).

Also narrated from Ibn `Umar, Ibn `Abbas, Ibn Mas`ud, Jabir, and Abu Sa`id al-Khudri, all through very weak chains.

The hadith master al-Mizzi said it has so many chains that it deserves a grade of fair (hasan), as quoted by al-Sakhawi in al-Maqasid al-Hasana. Al-`Iraqi in his Mughni `an Haml al-Asfar similarly stated that some scholars declared it sound (sahîh) for that reason, even if al-Hakim and al-Dhahabi correctly said no sound chain is known for it. Ibn `Abd al-Barr's "Salafi" editor Abu al-Ashbal al-Zuhayri declares the hadith hasan in Jami` Bayan al-`Ilm (1:23ff.) but all the above fair gradings actually apply to the wording:
"Seeking knowledge is an obligation upon every Muslim."

The first to declare the "China" hadith forged seems to be Ibn al-Qaysarani (d. 507) in his Ma`rifa al-Tadhkira (p. 101 #118). This grading was kept by Ibn al-Jawzi in his Mawdu`at but rejected, among others, by al-Suyuti in al-La'ali' (1:193), al-Mizzi, al-Dhahabi in Talkhis al-Wahiyat, al-Bajuri's student Shams al-Din al-Qawuqji (d. 1305) in his book al-Lu'lu' al-Marsu` (p. 40 #49), and notably by the Indian muhaddith Muhammad Tahir al-Fattani (d. 986) in his Tadhkira al-Mawdu`at (p. 17) in which he declares it hasan.

Al-Munawi, like Ibn `Abd al-Barr before him, gave an excellent explanation of the hadith in his Fayd al-Qadir (1:542). See also its discussion in al-`Ajluni's Kashf al-Khafa' under the hadith: "Seeking knowledge is an obligation upon every Muslim," itself a fair (hasan) narration in Ibn Majah because of its many chains as stated by al-Mizzi, although al-Nawawi in his Fatawa (p. 258) declared it weak while Dr. Muhammad `Ajaj al-Khatib in his notes on al-Khatib's al-Jami` (2:462-463) declared it "sound due to its witness-chains" (sahîh li ghayrih). Cf. al-Sindi's Hashya Sunan Ibn Majah (1:99), al-Munawi's Fayd al-Qadir (4:267) and al-Sakhawi's al-Maqasid al-Hasana (p. 275-277).

Unfortunately, this documentation is incomplete as it does not cover the often-quoted words "from the cradle to the grave" also attributed to the Prophet as part of these germane narrations, but I was so far unable to trace the chain(s) for that wording.

Wallahu Ta`ala A`lam wa Ahkam.
{Glory to You, we know nothing except what You taught us.}

Allah Most High bless and greet the Apple of our eyes, Sayyidina Muhammad and all his Family and Companions!

Hajj Gibril

GF Haddad ©

But of course you should ask your Brothers, not me.

------
04-05-2006, 10:09 AM
HeiGou I'll give you the benefit of the doubt yeh and I'll search it up in the hadith database I have at home on the computer :p

Coz am at college now - cnt stay away frm LI its too addictive! :rollseyes

Peace.

04-05-2006, 10:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by HeiGou
I shall try to remember. But it does not matter in my opinion. Educated women produced educated children. All women need options in case things turn out badly. Girls should study hard and get good marks and go to University. If I remember correctly, and I am not a Muslim so it does not matter anyway, Muhammed said "Seek knowledge, even all the way to China". He did not say, "if you're a boy, seek knowledge as long as nothing better is on TV".

Yes but if u look at the time of the prophet the women didn't go out and fight the battles, and it was with a battle with china that Muslims discovered paper and began writing down all that they learnt (after the prophets death).

Plus are u saying that some1 who has done their GCSE's are uneducated? In my opinion u already get all the logic by GCSE's, and then A'levels are going into detail that can only help if ur going 2 do a job in that field.

waji
04-06-2006, 06:58 PM
It is important to get Education and but if u see the past
in my opinion the most researched books are "Saha Sitta"
in which so much things were taken in care and it was the result of that we saw the great islamic scholars were born and did remarkable thing in all form of life
one e.g of it is u see.......... degrees a kind of authantication from the university or any center

i see it in form of Sanad in Arabic and in Urdu we use the same word but meanings of it is Degree or Authantification to someone
we muslims give great regards to a sanad hadith but not to zaeef hadith

so learn every thing but learn it in the manner to be a good muslim and remember Allah has written who will get how much so don't warry about that if u want to warry than warry about ur present what ru doing
Good Deeds or.................

:w:

Light Of Life
04-07-2006, 05:12 PM
The prophet (pbuh) encouraged us "to seek knowledge from the cradle to death," from every source possible. Your knowledge of the Quran and of Islam is undoubtedly important, but that does not mean you are required to close your mind to all else that helps develop your mind and builds your belief in Allah.

Here is just one of the many articles backing up this fact:

The pleasure of seeking knowledge

Anette
04-07-2006, 07:48 PM
For the moment I am doing A levels in Swedish language and Economics.

I find it very stimulating because at the same time I study I can be available for my family because much of the time I can read at home.

extinction
04-07-2006, 07:53 PM
A-levels??? thats like sat's over here in the usa I think.....

Cheb
04-07-2006, 08:01 PM
Yes you can say that. But SAT is a little easier.

Sister_6038
04-07-2006, 08:10 PM
A Levels are trying but hey what isnt? if this life was easy it wouldnt be a test...:D:D

seeker_of_ilm
04-10-2006, 10:54 PM
For whoever says don't study...period...and only concentrate on islamic education....Well theres a guy I know....Hafiz....Aalim..20 years old.....First year med school

Thats what I call a balance lol

freeze
04-12-2006, 11:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Asma1
Assalaam
I'm doing my A levels right now in Biology, Chemistry and Maths. But i wish i could just drop them all and do an 'aalimah course. I mean what if i die then how will they help me?:rollseyes
salaam
What does 'Aalimah mean?

muzna
04-18-2006, 10:02 AM
i did my AL in 2004..i have to say..ALs were a blast..i did bio, chem, physics and combined maths..i loved physics..chemistry was kinda boring..so was bio...mechanics was really cool too..

muzna
04-18-2006, 10:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cheb
Yes you can say that. But SAT is a little easier.
SAT is much easier than AL..i did sat just for the hell of it...didnt study and got over 700 (out of a max of 800) for all three subjects...and i'm not that brainy either..

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.