View Full Version : Laughter really is the best medicine

HeiGou
04-03-2006, 11:26 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/st...745532,00.html

Laughter really is the best medicine

Alok Jha, science correspondent
Monday April 3, 2006
The Guardian

It might be regarded as a statement of the obvious. But scientists have proved what everyone else takes for granted - that laughter really is good for you. It turns out that even the anticipation of watching a funny video can raise the levels of immune-boosting hormones in the blood and the benefits can last up to a day.

Lee Berk of Loma Linda University found that people expecting to watch a funny movie had 27% more beta-endorphins and 87% more human growth hormone hurtling around their blood compared with a control group. He will present his work today at a meeting of the American Physiological Society.

"We believe the results suggest that the anticipation of a laughter eustress [positive stress] event initiates changes in neuroendocrine response prior to the onset of the event itself," said Dr Berk. "From our prior studies, this modulation appears to be concomitant with mood state changes, and taken together, these would appear to carry important, positive implications for wellness, disease-prevention and most certainly stress-reduction."

The researchers studied 16 healthy men, split into two groups. In one group, the volunteers had chosen a favourite video to watch. All participants had blood samples taken just before the experiment began and then during and after the video. The second group acted as the control experiment.

"One of the keys in this kind of experiment is to set the baseline and control environment carefully," said Dr Berk. "In this case, the control group basically sits in a neutral room waiting to have their blood drawn, and on the tables there is a wide variety of magazines that they can browse, because you don't want to bias what they do or watch. Time and behaviour have proved me right with this approach."

The strong difference in hormone levels between the two groups was maintained from just before the beginning of video watching, throughout the viewing and afterwards too.

Dr Berk said that laughter diminished the secretion of the body's stress hormones, cortisol and epinephrine, while enhancing immune response. "In addition, mirthful laughter boosts secretion of growth hormone, an enhancer of these same key immune responses. The physiological effects of a single one-hour session viewing a humorous video has appeared to last up to 12 to 24 hours in some individuals."

Previous experiments have shown that watching comical videos can offset the symptoms of long-term stress, a condition that is known to weaken the immune system's response to viruses and tumours.

Dr Berk concluded: "It may sound corny but we in the health care medical sciences need to get serious about happiness and the lifestyle that produces it, relative to mind, body and spirit. Why do you think Reader's Digest has claimed that laughter is the best medicine for so many years?"

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
------
04-03-2006, 11:35 AM
Yep. I agree.

But in Islam (Sorry HeiGou I always come from a relgious perspective but that's just me!)

The Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said that; "If you have seen what I had seen, you would weep more and laugh less."
The People asked; "What have you seen, O Messenger of Allah?"
The Prophet Muhammad replied, "Paradise and Hell."

[Sahih al-Bukhari, Vol. 8, #627]

The first few hadiths below are to give you an idea about the Prophetic perspective in this regard. This collection is not necessarily to make you laugh your heart out, but merely to introduce that sense of humor is quite integral to our human life and so is also to people as Muslims.

Click Here

04-03-2006, 12:17 PM
I agree that laughter really is good, but too much laughter deadens the heart.

HeiGou
04-04-2006, 08:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pagal Kuri
Yep. I agree.

But in Islam (Sorry HeiGou I always come from a relgious perspective but that's just me!)

The Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said that; "If you have seen what I had seen, you would weep more and laugh less."
The People asked; "What have you seen, O Messenger of Allah?"
The Prophet Muhammad replied, "Paradise and Hell."

[Sahih al-Bukhari, Vol. 8, #627]
Doesn't that say the exact opposite of what I think you mean? Isn't it, in fact, an encouragement not to laugh?

The first few hadiths below are to give you an idea about the Prophetic perspective in this regard. This collection is not necessarily to make you laugh your heart out, but merely to introduce that sense of humor is quite integral to our human life and so is also to people as Muslims.

Click Here
[/quote]

And doesn't that show that Muhammed did not laugh very much if at all? I mean, no one saw his back teeth - so he smiled a bit but not much more?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sis786
04-04-2006, 08:57 AM
Def man im alwaaaaaaaaays laughing but like i say when people get annoyed "its better than crying"

Muslim Knight
04-04-2006, 10:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by HeiGou
Doesn't that say the exact opposite of what I think you mean? Isn't it, in fact, an encouragement not to laugh?
It's a show of self-restraint. Laugh, but don't laugh out too much.

And doesn't that show that Muhammed did not laugh very much if at all? I mean, no one saw his back teeth - so he smiled a bit but not much more
He's merely doing that out of modesty. He's the leader of the Muslim Ummah. He is obliged to exhibit moral superiority. But he has shown here that he is able to at least "lighten up".

------
04-06-2006, 10:14 AM
Yep but not too much as the shaytaan comes :rollseyes

life
04-06-2006, 01:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by A'ishah
Thanks 4 sharin that HeiGou. i luv makin peopl laugh an laughin myself... and it does make me feel bettr. i com on this forum sometimes when i am feelin abit down in th dumps. an by th time i log of i feel much bettr.....caus som fings peopl say r jus...;D LOL
ps. laughin is also good exercise 4 th stomach

but its different to me when i laugh too much i felt really sad afterward..

does it happened to anyone else?

IbnAbdulHakim
04-06-2006, 01:14 PM
but sometimes we laugh so hard that our sides feel like there about to split, tears come out and we get stitches. and wen it get reeaaly reeaaly bad some people even hav fits!!! laughter is indeed i nice medicine :okay:

life
04-06-2006, 01:23 PM
does anyone know y tear come out when we laugh so hard?

and it hapened to some ppl not all..........

IbnAbdulHakim
04-06-2006, 01:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by life
does anyone know y tear come out when we laugh so hard?

and it hapened to some ppl not all..........
coz too much laughter is wrong, maybe the tear is a reminder... im just full of theories, sry i wish i had more facts.

:sl:

Muezzin
04-06-2006, 02:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by life
but its different to me when i laugh too much i felt really sad afterward..

does it happened to anyone else?
Yes. :(

Snowflake
04-06-2006, 03:44 PM
Yeah when I have a good laugh I feel scared afterwards. Like something bad will happen now. Sometimes it does and I end up crying gulp! :(

Kittygyal
04-06-2006, 03:50 PM
yes sis that is so true if you laugh alot you cry then cause it happened to me :'( :p

take care

Al-Zaara
04-06-2006, 03:56 PM
:sl:

Laughter always follows tears.

Blessed are those who understand.

It's a quote from a poem which I read recently on the forum... I thought it would fit perfectly here, were you guys were discussing how sad you feel after laughing really much... :okay:

:w:

amirah_87
04-06-2006, 06:46 PM
ass salaamu alaykum ppl

well "i'm not so sure about it being "the best medicine"...... but i once heard a shiekh mention that it's very good for ppl who have head aches or migranes...

wassalaam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.