/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The name Jesus Christ

Rabi'ya
04-04-2006, 07:50 PM
:sl:

Im interested in where the name Jesus Christ actually came from.

I seem to remember it being written on a site that it was a derogatory term used by the Jews at the time of Isa(as). However others have sed it comes from the Greek word Christos which means "annointed one".

Was greek spoken at the same time as Isa's life?(my historys not all that good)

jazakAllah kheir for your help

:w:

Rabi'ya:rose:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Cheb
04-04-2006, 08:43 PM
This covers the Christ part:

"Jesus (born c. 8-2 BC; died c. 29-36 AD),[1] also known as Jesus of Nazareth, is the central figure of Christianity, in which context he is known as Jesus Christ, where Christ is a Greek title meaning "Anointed", corresponding to the Hebrew term "Messiah"."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus

Rabi'ya
04-04-2006, 08:46 PM
:sl: cheb

jazakAllah kheir for that so have you ever heard about the name the Jews would call? or am i getting this mixed up with something else?

HeiGou
04-04-2006, 08:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rabi'ya
Im interested in where the name Jesus Christ actually came from.

I seem to remember it being written on a site that it was a derogatory term used by the Jews at the time of Isa(as). However others have sed it comes from the Greek word Christos which means "annointed one".

Was greek spoken at the same time as Isa's life?(my historys not all that good)
Greek was the language of the Eastern part of the Roman Empire so a lot of Greek would have been spoken around Palestine at the time. Also the local governments of the region, following the conquests of Alexander the Great, were all Greek-speaking: his generals took power in Egypt, Asia Minor, Syria and so on. The Maccabees rose against one of these Successor Kingdoms. The fact that Greek was so common can be seen by the fact that many Jews used Greek forms of Jewish names, not the least of whom are Jesus and Mary. These are Graeco-Hebrew names that should be Joshua and Miriam. The New Testament is also written in a form of Greek indicating the Apostles were not-too-educated. So that Jesus is Jewish by Hellenised. And Christ is just the Greek equivalent of "Messiah".

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Skillganon
04-04-2006, 09:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HeiGou
Greek was the language of the Eastern part of the Roman Empire so a lot of Greek would have been spoken around Palestine at the time. Also the local governments of the region, following the conquests of Alexander the Great, were all Greek-speaking: his generals took power in Egypt, Asia Minor, Syria and so on. The Maccabees rose against one of these Successor Kingdoms. The fact that Greek was so common can be seen by the fact that many Jews used Greek forms of Jewish names, not the least of whom are Jesus and Mary. These are Graeco-Hebrew names that should be Joshua and Miriam. The New Testament is also written in a form of Greek indicating the Apostles were not-too-educated. So that Jesus is Jewish by Hellenised. And Christ is just the Greek equivalent of "Messiah".
How the hell did you get from Jesus to Joshua, and Mary to Miriam. It completely missed me!

security
04-04-2006, 10:06 PM
From what I have gathered in my studies, Christ is the equivalent to Messiah but in Greek. Also I believe the gospel was spread to the Gentiles. That is why the new testament is Greek.

north_malaysian
04-05-2006, 05:26 AM
Jesus is Isa and Christ is Al Masih.

Cheb
04-05-2006, 07:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rabi'ya
:sl: cheb

jazakAllah kheir for that so have you ever heard about the name the Jews would call? or am i getting this mixed up with something else?

:sl:
Ok from what I know, the language spoken during the time of Jesus by the Jews was Aramaic. They called him Yehoshoa, not sure of the spelling. Yehoshoa in English is Joshua. But I believe Joshua was also a Jewish prophet before Jesus was born. Jesus I think came from a word other than his Hebrew name, otherwise he would have been called Joshua. I will see what the meaning is.
Anyway I will try to come up with some articles about this.
Peace.

Cheb
04-05-2006, 07:35 AM
Ok this is wikipedia's explanation of Joshua.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joshua

Maybe Jesus was called Jesus in order not to confuse the 2.

Hussein radi
04-16-2006, 08:33 AM
In arabic we call him easa

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.