/* */

PDA

View Full Version : So Whos Fooled Themselves By Thinking A Career in Law was Good!

Sis786
04-05-2006, 02:40 PM
So Whos Fooled Themselves By Thinking A Career in Law was Good!

Join the club!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muezzin
04-05-2006, 02:41 PM
You shut up and give me my training contract woman!

Ghazi
04-05-2006, 02:43 PM
Salaam

Hey guys we need as many muslim lawyers these days with the way the west is accusing any brother of terrorism.

Muezzin
04-05-2006, 02:43 PM
Yeah, that's why I'm studying law.

But right now, I wanna training contract. :p

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IbnAbdulHakim
04-05-2006, 02:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth
Salaam

Hey guys we need as many muslim lawyers these days we with the way the west is accusing any brother of terrorism.
i hav vast knowledge about electronic gizmo's, let me kno how i can be helpful wiv... such mechanical knowledge ;) (i've made plenty of time controlled variables ;) :p)

Also i hav knowledge about computers... useless i kno! :offended:

Sis786
04-05-2006, 02:46 PM
Oh man u begging for a training contract hmmmm Nope! Lol u have to wait Banana asked first [BANANA]YEAH MAN WAIT [/BANANA]

As for Law Luckly i only do Conveyancing i would hate crime and immigration! Leave that too the BIG MEN!

As for helping Muslims i have to say i kind of do that all day seeing that its mostly Mr Hussain's and Mr Singh's that buy the houses

IbnAbdulHakim
04-05-2006, 02:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sis786
Oh man u begging for a training contract hmmmm Nope! Lol u have to wait Banana asked first [BANANA]YEAH MAN WAIT [/BANANA]

As for Law Luckly i only do Conveyancing i would hate crime and immigration! Leave that too the BIG MEN!

As for helping Muslims i have to say i kind of do that all day seeing that its mostly Mr Hussain's and Mr Singh's that buy the houses
dont worry a mr.Al-Rashid wants the biggest and best house lawyers can buy ;D

:sl:

Sis786
04-05-2006, 02:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abd'Majid
dont worry a mr.Al-Rashid wants the biggest and best house lawyers can buy ;D

Hmmm would Mr Al-Rashid be requiring the "BEST" conveyancer in Town!

IbnAbdulHakim
04-05-2006, 02:54 PM
Hmmm would Mr Al-Rashid be requiring the "BEST" conveyancer in Town!
no, no donkey ladies is required just some1 who knos how to get a good house for a good price ;)

Sis786
04-05-2006, 02:55 PM
Thats a estate agent not a Solicitor..who the Kotha now!

IbnAbdulHakim
04-05-2006, 02:56 PM
umm... LOL kotha = DOG!!! and donkey =.... lol WAT THE Hehhhh IS A DONKEY???

PS: Plz go to the "is english easy" thread for further lessons ;)

Sis786
04-05-2006, 03:18 PM
No we off topic again but Kotha is Donkey Kuta is dog!

Anyway who is doing law and what year they in. Its a looooooong process, Degree, LPC and THEN contract

Muezzin
04-05-2006, 05:12 PM

Anyway who is doing law and what year they in. Its a looooooong process, Degree, LPC and THEN contract
I'm in year 2. And the sooner I secure a contract the better. This stuff ain't cheap you know :p

Oh, and a career in Law IS good.

04-05-2006, 06:20 PM
hmm... ppl tell me i should start a career in law since i just don't stop arguing :P.... hmm, i disagree. i shouldn't, i'd lose my temper too quickly. lawyers should be cool headed, no?

Hijaabi22
04-05-2006, 09:01 PM
[PIE]*Yawn Yawn*[/PIE]

IbnAbdulHakim
04-05-2006, 11:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ------------
[PIE]*Yawn Yawn*[/PIE]
thats a very good idea, i think i'll go sleep

Muezzin
04-06-2006, 08:04 AM
thats a very good idea, i think i'll go sleep

In a separate bed I trust.

On-topic, any other lawyers?

Sis786
04-06-2006, 08:24 AM
Muezzin how you finding it, I always advise anyone doign Law to def take some time to get experience even if it means doing it for free. Some Bro on another forum contacted me and he came down and my boss told him that when he qualifies and if he comes to our place and there is a contract avaliable then hes got it.

It's all about expereince im on the same wage and doing the same work a Solicitor is doing yet all i did was get expereince.

Dont forget practical is sooooooooo much different! GET EXPEREINCE!!

------
04-06-2006, 08:55 AM
Lol lol lol lol lol u guys crack me up!! :giggling:

Sis786
04-06-2006, 09:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pagal Kuri
Lol lol lol lol lol u guys crack me up!! :giggling:

:offended:

------
04-06-2006, 09:19 AM
Nooooooooooo sis dont take it the rong way!!

I mean u guys r jokas n make me laff! :giggling:

Muezzin
04-06-2006, 09:26 AM
Muezzin how you finding it, I always advise anyone doign Law to def take some time to get experience even if it means doing it for free. Some Bro on another forum contacted me and he came down and my boss told him that when he qualifies and if he comes to our place and there is a contract avaliable then hes got it.

It's all about expereince im on the same wage and doing the same work a Solicitor is doing yet all i did was get expereince.

Dont forget practical is sooooooooo much different! GET EXPEREINCE!!
Oh, I've got experience. I did about three months work experience at a solicitors over the last summer break - inshallah I'll do some more in the holidays. I agree it is important to get some practical experience. It'll really make or break the case for becoming a solicitor.

IbnAbdulHakim
04-06-2006, 09:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin

Astagfirullah :offended:

i shall hire sis786 and sue you for that comment ;D

Snowflake
04-06-2006, 09:45 AM

loool you sound just like Anne Robinson on the Weakest Link! ;D

IbnAbdulHakim
04-06-2006, 09:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
loool you sound just like Anne Robinson on the Weakest Link! ;D

loooooooooool, thats almost as worse as gettin called bush hahaha ;D

------
04-06-2006, 09:53 AM
Haha! :p

Sis786
04-06-2006, 10:10 AM
Astagfirullah :offended:

i shall hire sis786 and sue you for that comment ;D

I dont do Legal Aid so we need cash payment and i will rip the shirt of Muezzin back ... not Literally.

and as for the ANNE ROBINSON what a women LOL .....and she cannot be compared to Bush...she can actually read of a screen where obvs Bush cant!!

Thanks Muslimah Sis and Pagal Kuri its all good

Sis786
04-06-2006, 10:12 AM
Muezzin Bro def get expereince in and make tea for the boss while you at it in this job you gotta lick a lost of a** ok!

Which part of law you liking. Like i said i only do Property Conveyancing and i can tell you this is the area you wanna go into. Its soo busy and the firms are just gagging for a good Conveyancer

Hijaabi22
04-06-2006, 04:35 PM

MAN U 2 FUNNNY NOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTT

LAW=SLEEEEEEPPPPP SNORE SNORE

YAWN YAWN

Muezzin
04-07-2006, 11:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ------------
MAN U 2 FUNNNY NOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTT

LAW=SLEEEEEEPPPPP SNORE SNORE

YAWN YAWN
So, I take it you're studying law :p

Sis786
04-07-2006, 11:59 AM
So, I take it you're studying law :p
She has to get to High School First

samobosna96
04-10-2006, 10:59 PM
whats wrong with law? I've taken law and international trade courses... i like them... i wouldnt mind going to law school... inshallah.... there are alot of oppressed people by Israel and the west who need defending....

extinction
04-10-2006, 11:04 PM

wasnt it gadha??or himaar or jack-a55?

Sis786
04-11-2006, 07:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by samobosna96
whats wrong with law? I've taken law and international trade courses... i like them... i wouldnt mind going to law school... inshallah.... there are alot of oppressed people by Israel and the west who need defending....
Inshallah Bro May Allah SWT help you reach your goal aameen

Sis786
04-11-2006, 08:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by hafizmo
wasnt it gadha??or himaar or jack-a55?
Ok there is NOOO need to be rude to the Donkeys ok :rollseyes

mortazaB
04-11-2006, 09:11 PM
LAW & DOCTOR... most stereotyped careers

Muezzin
04-11-2006, 09:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mortazaB
LAW & DOCTOR... most stereotyped careers
I know someone doing medical law next year - may as well slap her on the back and call her 'Paki'.

Sis786
04-12-2006, 08:26 AM
I know someone doing medical law next year - may as well slap her on the back and call her 'Paki'.
*Slaps Muezzin on the back and shouts "Paki"*

True it is, When i go on all the Law courses All i see is the elder generation is white and ALL the younger generation Asian.

Muezzin
04-12-2006, 12:33 PM
Though inshallah, that means more Asians, more black people, and generally more non-white people in the judiciary in the future. It would be nice to have a sort of balance in the ethnic makeup of judges.

Sis786
04-12-2006, 04:12 PM
Though inshallah, that means more Asians, more black people, and generally more non-white people in the judiciary in the future. It would be nice to have a sort of balance in the ethnic makeup of judges.
Thats true, :rollseyes its rare to find a Asian Judge or Black Judge. It would be nice to see the same, Inshallah.

Ummah
05-31-2007, 05:10 PM
oooh i didnt realise there was so many budding lawyers on this site! *gets excited* lol

who's done a dissertation?

has anyone secured work experience over the summer?

vpb
05-31-2007, 05:12 PM
Yeah, that's why I'm studying law.

But right now, I wanna training contract.
if I ever needed , you u give ma a fisabililah discount? :p

duskiness
06-03-2007, 05:45 PM
well, I'm not a Muslim.....
....and I don't deal with this crazy (un-)common law....
but I am a law student :) 5th year (last...)
additionally tomorrow I have WTO law exam, so you know what I should be doing now and how I feel...

btw: what is dissertation?

and my favourite question to law students ;) : why did you start it?

Hawa
06-03-2007, 11:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by duskiness
well, I'm not a Muslim.....
....and I don't deal with this crazy (un-)common law....
but I am a law student :) 5th year (last...)
additionally tomorrow I have WTO law exam, so you know what I should be doing now and how I feel...

and my favourite question to law students ;) : why did you start it?

Hope it goes well,
I'm still trying to figure out what on earth made me take law :-\ I curse whoever put it in my head!

Ummah
06-04-2007, 10:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by duskiness

its a big massive independant study, about 15000 words long. you choose your own topic (has to be a problem you have with the law) and complete it over the year.

its optional, you can either pick dissertation + 3 elective + 1 mandatory subject
or
5 electives + mandatory subject

Muezzin
06-04-2007, 10:06 AM
Anyone doing the LPC at Nottingham Trent in September? Inshallah, I am.

- Qatada -
06-04-2007, 10:14 AM
:salamext:

I don't have the commentary on this hadith, but for anyone who's trying to strive to be a judge, then please be careful;

Buraidah (may Allah be pleased with him) narrated that the Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him) said;

"Judges are of three types: two of whom will go to Hell and one to Paradise. The one who will go to Paradise is the judge who knew what is right and gives judgement accordingly; but a judge who knows what is right and does not give judgement accordingly; and acts unjustly in his judgement will go to Hell, and a judge who does not know what is right and judges people while ignorant (of the case) will go to Hell."

Related by the four Imams and Al-Hakim graded it as Sahih [authentic.]

Hashim_507
06-04-2007, 10:35 AM
I am going to school to be a lwayer, i have change my major from engineer. I want to be halal lawyer that is doing for Allah sake; such being civil right lawyer.

IceQueen~
06-04-2007, 10:53 AM
I don't understand how anyone can study LAW from a non-muslim system...?
Their whole concept is against Islam because with them it doesn't matter who's right and who's wrong but just who can pay the most money

so you'll get ax-murderers being let off the hook through manipulation of words...?!

no offense anyone, just wondering...

Muezzin
06-04-2007, 11:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IceQueen~
Their whole concept is against Islam because with them it doesn't matter who's right and who's wrong but just who can pay the most money

so you'll get ax-murderers being let off the hook through manipulation of words...?!

That's why I want to go into intellectual property law. It's a tad more fair, methinks.

Muslim Knight
06-04-2007, 02:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hashim_507
I am going to school to be a lwayer, i have change my major from engineer. I want to be halal lawyer that is doing for Allah sake; such being civil right lawyer.

LOL. I screwed up my A-levels trying to do Laws. I had to opt for engineering instead. Which means I'm out of your league people. Someone pls kick me out.

Ummah
06-09-2007, 10:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IceQueen~

This isnt directed at you but u jus reminded me of somathing --->>
i think theres a difference between a person who creates and enforces non-islamic law, and a person who simply advises on the law of a non-islamic country that you as a civilian choose to live in.
If you've chosen to live in a non-muslim country then you;re automatically abiding by its non-muslim laws. so why do people attack muslims for studying the law of that country?

in regards to defendings guilty people/criminals i.e. twisting words/lieing..theres many difference branches of law. as the person below you has said, they want to go into intellectual property law (same as me). so you're not always doing the same kinda stuff

Muezzin
06-18-2007, 07:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummah
This isnt directed at you but u jus reminded me of somathing --->>
i think theres a difference between a person who creates and enforces non-islamic law, and a person who simply advises on the law of a non-islamic country that you as a civilian choose to live in.
If you've chosen to live in a non-muslim country then you;re automatically abiding by its non-muslim laws. so why do people attack muslims for studying the law of that country?
They have nothing better to do and/or they just went to prison?

in regards to defendings guilty people/criminals i.e. twisting words/lieing..theres many difference branches of law. as the person below you has said, they want to go into intellectual property law (same as me). so you're not always doing the same kinda stuff
Booya.

Ummah
06-28-2007, 02:21 PM
hey i was going to study my ll.b at nott trent but stayed in mancherster instead!

i got my 2nd yr results today,, 2:1!!! yayy!!

hw about everyone else?

Protected_Diamond
07-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Laws so boring and stupid!! no offence anyone....anyone heard of Lord Denning? :D

Muezzin
07-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Congratulations, sister Ummah.

format_quote Originally Posted by Protected_Diamond
Laws so boring and stupid!! no offence anyone....anyone heard of Lord Denning? :D
Who hasn't? :p

The guy was a legend. Tended to put his own personal opinions above the law, but what the heck, it was good when I agreed with certain of his decisions.

Ummah
07-03-2007, 08:16 PM
well i respect lord denning coz he made reading textbooks interesting! i think he was a pretty cool dude u know

Protected_Diamond
07-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Yeah even though he dissed black people towards the end of his career, he seems okay. :thumbs_up

Encolpius
07-09-2007, 04:39 PM
That's why I want to go into intellectual property law. It's a tad more fair, methinks.
Intellectual property pwns. I did it in my second year at King's London in the form of two half modules - copyright in the first term, and trademarks/passing off in the second.

And I've heard of Lord Denning, the former Master of the Rolls as well. The man was so dedicated that he deliberately passed up a seat in the House of Lords in favour of sitting in judgement in the Court of Appeal, which, as you'll know, hears more cases and thus has a bigger effect on the evolution of the law.

Alas, I wish I could point out some great contemporary French jurists as well, but alas, it's a bit hard because in French courts, which judges were in the bench in each case isn't mentioned because it would compromise the impersonal ideal of the law whose majesty is paraded before the populace and comes to conclusions by handing down decisions based on logic for the most part and reported in a terse, unfriendly style which insists that every decision is reported in one sentence with lots of occurrences of the conjunction, "Attendu que" or "whereas."

Yes, folks, I'm doing a law degree as well. Even though I look nothing whatsoever like the average law student. I've hair down to that irritating bit of my back that people just can't quite scratch, a selection of increasingly lurid band shirts, several pairs of what my father refers to as "jackboots", and a belt made out of dead bullets all strung together. And a trenchcoat. But I digress. I would try and engage people here in a legal discussion but I'm in Paris and all my English law notes are on a different landmass, so...

Muezzin
07-09-2007, 08:28 PM
Is French law more about getting to the truth of the matter, rather than the more adversarial legal proceedings of the US and UK?

Heh, there were a couple of French foreign students doing part of their degree while I went to uni. Cool guys.

P.s. Copyright is awesome. Trade marks frazzle my Looney Tune brain somewhat, though I do like design rights.

Encolpius
07-09-2007, 10:34 PM
Is French law more about getting to the truth of the matter, rather than the more adversarial legal proceedings of the US and UK?

Heh, there were a couple of French foreign students doing part of their degree while I went to uni. Cool guys.

P.s. Copyright is awesome. Trade marks frazzle my Looney Tune brain somewhat, though I do like design rights.
Very much so. A professional judge is detailed to do a factual investigation in the matter (le juge d'instruction) and the Code Civil is designed in such a way that every situation has one rule applying to it with little to no overlap and the first question is always which part of the law applies in the case. Then the facts are applied to the law - in England it's the other way round - and so forth. It's all based on an Aristotelian syllogism - there is the law (major premise), the facts (minor premise) and the decision (synthesis). Of course, that's merely the way it's done in the private actions courts, before the administrative courts decisions are a lot less tightly defined and judges have more room to move, so to speak.

They do have precedent though, but it's not binding, it's just indicatory. Indeed, art. 5 of the Code Civil specifically forbids judges from trying to form a binding precedent with their decision; in theory, only the law has any authority. Though a constant jurisprudence is built up by identifying trends in decisions and progressions between them and legal theorists draw implications from same.

I wish I could say it wasn't as dull as it looked as an area of study, but I'd be lying. After a year of legal study in England, I actually felt like my knowledge not only of the law but of the way it's generated increased. After a year in France, I felt more like a giant leaky sponge.

UmmSqueakster
07-11-2007, 08:24 PM
Hello fellow legalese peoples! I'm current working as a litigation paralegal and debating whether or not I want to spend $100,000 on law school. So, I thought I'd get my paralegal certification first and actually try it out before taking the leap.

And here I am, 3 years later, still undecided as to whether or not to go to law school. If I do go, I'd want to go to a tier one school, which would mean I'd have to quit my job and work extra hard to do well. Right now, I'm enjoying a job with less responsibilities than a lawyer and not having to work 90 hours a week.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Encolpius
07-12-2007, 12:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Janaan
Hello fellow legalese peoples! I'm current working as a litigation paralegal and debating whether or not I want to spend $100,000 on law school. So, I thought I'd get my paralegal certification first and actually try it out before taking the leap.

And here I am, 3 years later, still undecided as to whether or not to go to law school. If I do go, I'd want to go to a tier one school, which would mean I'd have to quit my job and work extra hard to do well. Right now, I'm enjoying a job with less responsibilities than a lawyer and not having to work 90 hours a week.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.
A hundred grand?! Isn't that a bit... much?

In Britain, getting your law degree will cost you, with top up fees, about £9,000 ($18,000) and then there's professional training, BVC, etc.

In France, like all higher education, it's totally free apart from a €100 or so enrolment fee each year, but it's also seriously hardcore and universities try to weed out as many people as possible in the first few years.

And I thought my mate's $25,000 for an international Masters' (split between Columbia and Sciences Po) in political science was steep.

Ummah
07-12-2007, 06:27 PM
hundred thousan dollars!! wow..thats alot, i hope for ur sake that was just a typing error lol

my LPC at law school will be around £6000 i think.

Muezzin
07-18-2007, 11:42 PM
In other news, I graduated yesterday. Forgive me if I sound rather sleepy for the next week or so.

Protected_Diamond
07-20-2007, 04:01 PM
AWwh masha Allah well done! hard stuff :happy:

Ummah
07-24-2007, 11:26 PM
okay u sed dont reply so can anyone else tell me what the brother above means?...im confused.. is he talking about work experience or is he talking abouy tutoring/problem solving?

Abdul-Raouf
07-25-2007, 02:15 AM
"Hey all if u have any doubt in law or if u want to be trained under me..u can contact my mobile phone any time...:sunny:

Mobile no:

The above one is my mobile number... its only visible for some genius persons...:(

Dont pm or post a reply message for this post
(im too busy to check them:hmm:)..... jus contact my mobile number..."

sista ^^^ that was a silly post made by Abdul-Raouf :).. it was difficult to understand...so i asked a mod to delete that post... :)

north_malaysian
07-25-2007, 02:30 AM
I've been practising for 2 years..... doing litigation.

I hate the court's staff... always delaying in extracting those documents.

UmmSqueakster
07-25-2007, 06:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Encolpius
A hundred grand?! Isn't that a bit... much?

Public (state sponsored school) tuition = $5000 to $8000 a year
Private tuition = $15,000 to $25,000 a year
Doesn't include books (which are freakin expensive here), fees, and other stuff like housing and food.

Not counting the fact that I'd have to quit my job, which would mean I'd lose my income.

The new associates at my firm regularly come in with upwards of $100,000 in debt. Of course, they have a $120,000 salary to look forward to, but only the best and brightest get these jobs. I know tons of law school grads who can't find work as an attorney, so they temp or are paralegals.

Ummah
08-15-2007, 11:28 AM
They have nothing better to do and/or they just went to prison?

Booya.
lol i missed this post :D ;D

Yanal
12-23-2008, 04:51 PM
What is a paki?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.