/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The President of the USA WILL BE FIRED!

mahdisoldier19
04-07-2006, 01:34 AM
Bush authorized leak, Libby testifies
BY MARK SILVA AND ANDREW ZAJAC
Chicago Tribune

WASHINGTON - Long after President Bush warned that anyone in his administration who leaked classified information would suffer the consequences, a new federal court filing asserts that it was Bush himself who authorized release of once-classified intelligence about Iraq's purported weapons of mass destruction in the summer of 2003.

Former vice presidential chief of staff Lewis "Scooter" Libby, who was indicted on obstruction of justice charges in the broad investigation of the leaked identity of a CIA agent, has testified that the president authorized him to release "relevant" parts of a National Intelligence Estimate to offset criticism of the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq, according to court documents filed Wednesday.

The new and potentially embarrassing revelation for the Bush administration is contained in a federal court filing by the Chicago-based prosecutor, Patrick Fitzgerald, who is investigating the disclosure of the identity of CIA operative Valerie Plame. That document makes no connection between Bush and the leak of Plame's name, but it draws Bush into a small circle that released selected national intelligence to counter the claims of an outspoken critic of the war.

The president had the legal authority to declassify information by releasing it, a government authority and outside experts say, but the alleged episode raises a more pressing political problem. It has increased demands for the White House - which was refusing to comment on the investigation Thursday - to publicly address a conflict between Bush's criticism of leaks and his own alleged leaking.

"This is a very significant disclosure. This is big," said Rep. Ray LaHood, R-Ill., a Bush ally who refrained from commenting on Libby's testimony but maintained that the White House will be compelled to comment. "They're going to have to comment on it," he said. "They owe all of us an explanation, all of us who trust him, and they owe the American people an explanation."

In a midterm election year, Democrats are speaking out more forcefully.

"If Mr. Libby's claims are true, they represent a catastrophic breach of the public trust," said Sen. Robert Menendez, D-N.J. "It's OK for the Bush administration to release classified documents that compromise national security when it suits their political purposes."

Plame's husband, former Ambassador Joseph Wilson, had traveled to Niger to investigate claims that Iraq was trying to purchase uranium for nuclear weapons. After debunking that claim, which was among the assertions that the president had made in his rationale for the invasion of Iraq in 2003, Wilson wrote an op-ed article for The New York Times on July 6, 2003, criticizing the flawed intelligence that the administration had cited in taking the nation to war.

Evidence that Fitzgerald is preparing for Libby's trial will show that Wilson's article "was viewed in the office of vice president as a direct attack on the credibility of the vice president (and the president) on a matter of signal importance: the rationale for the war in Iraq," Fitzgerald wrote.

Two days after Wilson's article appeared, Libby spoke with New York Times reporter Judith Miller as a confidential source "only after the vice president advised (Libby) that the president specifically had authorized (Libby) to disclose certain information in the NIE (National Intelligence Estimate)," the filing shows.

Vice President **** Cheney called it "very important" for "key judgments" of that intelligence to "come out," serving as a "pretty definitive" counterattack to Wilson's criticism. Libby "understood that he was to tell the reporter, among other things, that a key judgment of the NIE held that Iraq was `vigorously trying to procure' uranium," the filing shows.

The vice president believed Wilson's credibility would be undercut if his trip were perceived as "a junket," and "an assignment on account of nepotism," according to the court filing. Libby discussed Wilson's connection to Plame with both The New York Times reporter and a Time magazine reporter several days later.

Bush declined to comment Thursday when a reporter called out a question to him. And the White House, which had spoken out frequently during 2003, has maintained a more recent policy of not commenting on Fitzgerald's investigation.

"It's an ongoing investigation, and we've had a policy for some time that we're not going to comment on it," White House spokesman Scott McClellan said Thursday.

Libby at first believed he couldn't discuss the intelligence estimate with Miller "because of the classified nature of the NIE," Fitzgerald has told the court.

But Cheney assured Libby that the president had authorized him to "disclose the relevant portions of the NIE," the filing shows, and David Addington, the legal counsel in Cheney's office, assured him that the president's approval for release of the information "amounted to a declassification of the document."

In the fall of 2003 Bush insisted that no one in his administration had leaked classified information - and that if he learned that anyone had, he would take appropriate action.

"Listen," Bush said in response to a reporter's question in Chicago on Sept. 30, 2003, "I don't know of anybody in my administration who leaked classified information. If somebody did leak classified information, I'd like to know it, and we'll take the appropriate action.

"There are too many leaks of classified information in Washington," Bush said then. "And if there is a leak out of my administration, I want to know who it is. And if the person has violated law, the person will be taken care of."

There are about 4,000 people in the federal government with authority to classify information, according to the National Archives. The president and vice president have the power to declassify information, according to an executive order Bush had updated as recently as March 2003.

The president's authority to keep and reveal secrets also is inherent in his constitutional powers, says J. William Leonard, director of the National Archives' Information Security Oversight Office, and the president does not have to follow any particular procedure in declassifying information.

"It's his authority in the first place," Leonard said.

While Bush's use of classified information may create a political problem for him, it's not a legal issue, said Mark Zaid, a Washington lawyer who frequently represents CIA employees and others involved in national security issues. As the author of the executive order governing how information is classified, Bush can declassify something simply by declaring so, Zaid said.

"Since the president is the one who issues the order, ergo he obviously has the authority to classify and declassify information," Zaid said Thursday.

Bush had exercised his authority in cooperating with journalist and author Bob Woodward in writing "Bush at War," an account of the response to the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. "That book is replete with classified information" that Bush declassified by discussing it with Woodward, Zaid maintains.

Still, the new revelation has stirred a political storm.

"If what Scooter Libby said to the grand jury is true, then this latest development clearly reveals yet again that the CIA leak case goes much deeper than the disclosure of a CIA agent's identity to the press," said Rep. Maurice Hinchey, D-N.Y. "The heart and motive of this case is about the deliberate attempt at the highest levels of this administration to discredit" its critics.

According to that he will, not bad for a President who sniffed Cocane in high school and did other drugs who leads the Worlds SuperPower today!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
cleo
04-07-2006, 01:39 AM
That is the only way to get him out of office, because he is head of a corporation, and this is what this country is now, and you can only fire the president of a Corp., not impeach. That is a problem that the Citizens don't understand.

When a Long article has been posted, Please DO NOT Quote it.

Knut Hamsun
04-07-2006, 01:47 AM
That is the only way to get him out of office, because he is head of a corporation, and this is what this country is now, and you can only fire the president of a Corp., not impeach. That is a problem that the Citizens don't understand
You have no idea what you are talking about, do you? Sad.

north_malaysian
04-07-2006, 01:50 AM
I dont have any idea too what is it about? To long, lazy to read actually.:okay:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
jinn & juice
04-07-2006, 01:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cleo
That is the only way to get him out of office, because he is head of a corporation, and this is what this country is now, and you can only fire the president of a Corp., not impeach. That is a problem that the Citizens don't understand.

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. :hiding:

Knut Hamsun
04-07-2006, 02:01 AM
I dont have any idea too what is it about? To long, lazy to read actually.
Hello Northy!

Good to see you here. I am too lazy to say much about it! Another "scandal" in a "scandal" driven media/political economy. The result of a staunchly 2 party system. One party tries for 4 years to make the other look as horrible as possible, their little game. But, as some have said about democracy--whether American style or parlaimentary, it ain't great, but it is better than anything else! Our man in Washington DC--w bush--has another mess on his hands, he will have to keep riding out the tsunami of scandal until 2008, b/c he won't be impeached, i'm positive.
yours
knut

mahdisoldier19
04-07-2006, 02:01 AM
Khar Cosa

shanu
04-07-2006, 02:06 AM
so is he out or not?
its a long story?
:(
whether he is out o not
what does it matter?
:'(

north_malaysian
04-07-2006, 02:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Knut Hamsun
Hello Northy!

Good to see you here. I am too lazy to say much about it! Another "scandal" in a "scandal" driven media/political economy. The result of a staunchly 2 party system. One party tries for 4 years to make the other look as horrible as possible, their little game. But, as some have said about democracy--whether American style or parlaimentary, it ain't great, but it is better than anything else! Our man in Washington DC--w bush--has another mess on his hands, he will have to keep riding out the tsunami of scandal until 2008, b/c he won't be impeached, i'm positive.
yours
knut
:okay:

mahdisoldier19
04-07-2006, 02:09 AM
Well for David Icke who accused him of being a Reptoid race can finally kidnap him when hes out of office and do dna testing on him, remember hes from the same family of The British AND! thats how princess Diana died, Through ****ies eyes see the connection?

cleo
04-07-2006, 02:10 AM
Today, ABC News Wire released an article that stated: The First Lady Laura Bush, has sent out 254 invitations for Easter Sunday, to Lesibian and Homosexual couples, that has adopted childern; to the Easter Egg Roll on the Whitehouse lawn....
I am deeply ashamed of this country, and I no longer claim to be an American. What wrath have they bestowed on us now. Look what they have done. I am a Muslim, and proud of it...

jinn & juice
04-07-2006, 02:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mahdisoldier19
Khar Cosa

Que sara, sara. :hiding:

mahdisoldier19
04-07-2006, 02:11 AM
This isnt spanish, this is Poshtu, The language of the people who are direct descendants of Solomon

jinn & juice
04-07-2006, 02:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cleo
Today, ABC News Wire released an article that stated: The First Lady Laura Bush, has sent out 254 invitations for Easter Sunday, to Lesibian and Homosexual couples, that has adopted childern; to the Easter Egg Roll on the Whitehouse lawn....
I am deeply ashamed of this country, and I no longer claim to be an American. What wrath have they bestowed on us now. Look what they have done. I am a Muslim, and proud of it...

I love lesbians. We have a few things in common. :hiding:

ummnasr
04-07-2006, 03:11 AM
we hope so anyway[S][/S]

vpb
04-07-2006, 03:12 AM
it's night and I am little bit tired to read all that article, but are they going to impeach Bush ??

Knut Hamsun
04-07-2006, 03:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by vpb
it's night and I am little bit tired to read all that article, but are they going to impeach Bush ??
They --the democrats--would love to but it won't happen, in my opinion.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.