/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hijab-clad Muslim TV Host Sparks Danish Furor

sonz
04-07-2006, 07:19 AM
COPENHAGEN, April 5, 2006 (IslamOnline.net & News Agencies) – A debate has been heating up among Danish viewers over the appearance of the first hijab-clad talk show presenter on the Danish television.

Asmaa Abdol-Hamid, a 24-year-old Danish Muslim of Palestinian origin, appeared last week on the DR2 network to host an eight-part program on the fallout of Danish cartoons lampooning Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessing be upon him), Agence France-Presse (AFP) reported.

The female Muslim host has been selected to co-present the talk show with Danish reporter Adam Holm, an ardent proponent of press freedom, debating on Danish society's pressing issues.

The move reflected the ongoing public debate in Denmark about the freedom of expression and respect of religious sanctities following the publication of the Prophet drawings.

Mixed Reactions

The appearance of hijab-wearing Asmaa has drawn mixed reactions from women's groups in the Scandinavian country.

Feminist Forum, a Danish women's organization, said Abdol-Hamid's TV presence "strengthens ethnic and gender equality in Denmark".
But another feminist group, the Women for Freedom association, echoed a different stance.

"The choice of Asmsa Abdol-Hamid (...) is an insult to both Danish and Muslim women," claimed Vibeke Manniche, the association's head.
"She sends the signal that an honorable woman cannot go out unless her head is covered," she said.

But DR2 network defended Tuesday, April 4, its decision to allow Asmaa's TV presence, saying "headscarf-wearing women are part of Danish society and we need to accept this fact".

Asmaa told IslamOnline.net Friday, March 31, that her hijab was expected to be the talk of the Danish audience at the very beginning.
"But I'm confident that with the passage of time they would come to realize my distinct personality and presentation."

Islam sees hijab as an obligatory code of dress, not a religious symbol displaying one’s affiliations.

Asmaa said she received love and hate e-mails from Danish viewers after she had been chosen to appear on the Danish television.
"Some e-mails were critical and offensive; but I was never provoked and dealt with them in accordance with our Islamic teachings, trying to explain my viewpoints to the senders."

Muslims make up around three percent of Denmark’s 5.3 population, making Islam the second largest religion after the Lutheran Protestant Church.
Islam, however, is not recognized by the state unlike Christianity and Judaism.

Denmark has been the focus of Muslim anger following the publication of the offensive cartoons by mass-circulation Jyallands Posten last September.

The 12 cartoons, including one showing the Prophet with a bomb-shaped turban, were later reprinted by European newspapers on claims of freedom of expression.

Also read:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
renak
04-07-2006, 07:35 AM
I would not find offense in this lady wearing hijab on television. The whole point seems ridiculous to me.

However, I tend to me more liberal than most Christians. I hate to say it but this is another example of why Islamic relocation to primarily Christian countries may not be a good idea.

north_malaysian
04-07-2006, 07:37 AM
Hijab or non hijab ... it's not a problem.

Light Of Life
04-07-2006, 01:33 PM
Freedom is bitter-sweet, ain't it?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Light Of Life
04-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Muslims make up around three percent of Denmark’s 5.3 population, making Islam the second largest religion after the Lutheran Protestant Church.
Islam, however, is not recognized by the state unlike Christianity and Judaism.
I must say, that rather surprised me. Does anyone know why this is?

Muezzin
04-07-2006, 04:40 PM
To think something as simple as a piece of cloth covering a woman's hair can cause such a ruckus.

'Bad form', to quote Hook.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.