/* */

PDA

View Full Version : kurdish independence

blunderbus
04-08-2006, 06:49 PM
Anybody want to help me with my homework?
I have been tasked with debating the question "Should the U.S. support a Kurdish homeland?" in my Foreign Policy class. I will be taking the "Yes" position.

I think the Kurds certainly DESERVE their own country, but of course there are larger geopolitical considerations as well.

What do you think? Should there be an independent Kurdistan made from sections of Iran, Iraq and Turkey? Any argument pro or con is welcome. I'm arguing in favor, but my main goal is to get a good grade on the assignment.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Kittygyal
04-08-2006, 06:58 PM
bro i will do research for you cause one of my student had that question too and they asked me that aswell it's the second time

take care

blunderbus
04-10-2006, 05:33 PM
The Kurds deserve their own homeland. They have gotten nothing but bad treatment from the powers surrounding them. The only way they can be safe is with a homeland of their own.

They are among America's stauchest allies (despite being sold out by the 1rst Bush Admin). Why shouldn't America reward their loyalty and friendship with support for their self determination?

Most of the borders in that part of the world were drawn up by the European colonial powers. Why should they be unchangable?

The Kurdish part of Iraq is democratic and has been running it's own affairs for a decade. They have a working govt and functioning civil institutions

Has Turkey been a dependable American ally? America should welcome a pro U.S. govt (such as Kurdistan would be) on the Iranian border. The Iranians wouldn't like it, but so what?

Nobody (except Islamgyal) seemed much interested in giving me their opinions on Kurdish Independence, so I thought I'd try a more confrontational approach to get some input.

knuckles
04-10-2006, 05:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by blunderbus
The Kurds deserve their own homeland. They have gotten nothing but bad treatment from the powers surrounding them. The only way they can be safe is with a homeland of their own.

They are among America's stauchest allies (despite being sold out by the 1rst Bush Admin). Why shouldn't America reward their loyalty and friendship with support for their self determination?

Most of the borders in that part of the world were drawn up by the European colonial powers. Why should they be unchangable?

The Kurdish part of Iraq is democratic and has been running it's own affairs for a decade. They have a working govt and functioning civil institutions

Has Turkey been a dependable American ally? America should welcome a pro U.S. govt (such as Kurdistan would be) on the Iranian border. The Iranians wouldn't like it, but so what?

Nobody (except Islamgyal) seemed much interested in giving me their opinions on Kurdish Independence, so I thought I'd try a more confrontational approach to get some input.
For Iraq this would be the best course of action. Seperate Iraq into 3 seperate countries with the Sunnis, Shiites, and Kurds occupying their own regions. The only problem is that all the surrounding countries have problems with the Kurds. Turkey have the fear that if the Kurds are granted their own sovernty they might try to annex part of Turkey along with it. The Kurds are the most stable and ready for self rule of all the factions in Iraq.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Jen
04-09-2007, 07:47 AM
wow i know this is a late reply but as a kurd myself the problem isnt just giving us our land back and allowing us to officially call it kurdistan. if we get northern iraqi kurdistan accepted as a country we have to consider the other parts of kurdistan such as the part in syria turkey and iran... if those parts are not included would that mean kurds from those mentioned areas woud all come in to the official kurdish land? its a sticky issue but all of that needs to be considered. but as to whether or not they deserve it.. yes they do and inshallah it will prosper as a country and give better future for the children of tommorow

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.