/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Being a Muslim in Europe vs the U.S.

blunderbus
04-08-2006, 08:10 PM
I'm interested in the differences between being a Muslim in the U.S. as opposed to being a Muslim in Europe. Discrimination, religious freedom, etc.

The idea is often put forward that America is better at assimilating new cultures and peoples than is Europe. What do you think?

Please state where you live in your reply.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
al-fateh
04-08-2006, 08:32 PM
well i live in the states, in Miami FL

seems like things are normal here, the only people who have problems against muslims is the government...not the people

actually a lot of people are interested to know about Islam now more than before here.

Issa
04-08-2006, 08:32 PM
As-salamu Alaykum,

I live in the US. I am an American. I am also a Muslim. America is by no means innocent in terms of bigotry and discrimination but I that may be that people tend to keep their strong opinions (on race and religion) to themselves or they speak to people who are of the same opinion...
I do believe that people are confused about other cultures and have a hard time coming to terms with the fact that our way (America) isn't the only way to live.
This is only my opinion and I don't think that America is the only country that is guilty of this....

Issa
04-08-2006, 08:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by al-fateh
well i live in the states, in Miami FL

seems like things are normal here, the only people who have problems against muslims is the government...not the people

actually a lot of people are interested to know about Islam now more than before here.
:sl: ,

You are right, the government (and the media) are the ones who get people so scared by filling there heads with the idea that Muslims are terrorists. Those images do "wake up" some of the population, though.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
al-fateh
04-08-2006, 08:40 PM
there is job offers by the thousands here by the FBI and the CIA for Arabic speakers , and mosty that deal with muslim countries

the people here are peaceful, they are very friendly and understanding.

but the media is definately the source of all the trouble.

Islam now is growing fast in the US and nothing can stop it....

9/11 was nothing but a boost, and an exposure to the 911 conspiracy

Knut Hamsun
04-09-2006, 01:18 AM
9/11 was nothing but a boost, and an exposure to the 911 conspiracy
I am very happy for you that the death of 3000 civilians could help your cause. Re: the conspiracy...your denial of the truth is sad. Actually, maybe the conspiracy was of muslims wishing to recruit some to Islam? By your "account" this really could be the case!

Herostratos
04-09-2006, 01:35 PM
I think America is much better at assimilating really... Not that I am a muslim so it's hard for me to tell, but in Europe you have these large welfare states, that creates little incentive to work.

In Norway, where I live, talking about assimilation is taboo. The politicians talk about integration, but think that assimilation is a bad thing.

IbnAbdulHakim
04-09-2006, 01:39 PM
seeing as the government is a little bit more leaning towards stupid in US i'd say they hav it worser :thumbs_up

renak
04-12-2006, 07:15 PM
My view of the US perception of Islam is based on the Midwestern and Southern States. I've never known of a Muslim who felt threatened, or as if people did not accept them. Then again, the only Muslims I've seen who were not completely assimilated were those who were only on vacation.

I would even assert that non-Muslims tend to hold Islamic people in high regard in my area. The Muslims that I've known have been highly educated, affluent, and Westernized. Many Muslims are in our health care field. People in the US hold doctors next to God.

I've read (do not know if it is true) that some European countries do not offer citizenship as an incentive for immigrants. If this is the case, I would say that the US incentive of citizenship would appeal greater to Muslims from foreign lands.

KAding
04-13-2006, 05:43 PM
I think it's hard to compare Muslim immigrants in the US and the European countries. Firstly, US Muslim are usually highly educated, have urban backgrounds, have above average income and are fewer in number. European muslims usually come from rural areas, are badly educated and more traditional. There are also more of them.

It is unsuprising that US muslims are performing better, since they were already more modern and less traditional when they arrived.

Mind you, I personally believe the US is better at assimilating immigrants, but I don't think one can make a honest comparison while looking at Muslims.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.