PDA

View Full Version : Are SATs vital???

eternal_faith
04-27-2005, 05:25 PM
I'v got mine next week :confused: .....do we REALLY need them? :-[

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Brother_Mujahid
04-27-2005, 05:29 PM
they use them to put you in groups........ even then your not guaranteed to be put in a higher set if you do better than predicted.

Uthman
04-27-2005, 05:48 PM
:sl:

Usually they would set you based on 50% your SATS results and 50% end of unit tests. But due to lack of examiners, the SATS results won't be arriving until the summer holidays. (Hard luck Buddy! Oh, the suspense!) So the school sets us purely based on end of unit tests. :)

I'm also doing my SATS next week. :) I think I'm gonna do worse in science. :( Because you just have to know stuff is science but in Maths it's mostly common sense if you know what I mean. It's so annoying when they give you soooo much homework from other subjects just before your SATS! :mad: It's like they're doing it on purpose to get in the way of your revision! :mad:

:w:

eternal_faith
04-27-2005, 05:49 PM
It really is just to see if we are at the right academic level, but we have enough class tests and teacher assessments for teachers to know what level we are.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
eternal_faith
04-27-2005, 05:51 PM
It does seem like that! The majority of our teachers are kind and let us revise! lol!

Uthman
04-27-2005, 05:54 PM

Apparently they are also to prepare us for our GCSE. :brother:

eternal_faith
04-27-2005, 05:58 PM
oh PLEASE don't mention GCSEs!!! The thought gives me the collywobbles!!!

Uthman
04-27-2005, 06:00 PM

Think positive! :)

eternal_faith
04-27-2005, 06:02 PM
Yeah i guess so....

Arwa
04-27-2005, 06:12 PM

Acually.. it depends..
SAT's CAN be vital.
For me they were .. as my school put us into tiers for GSCE's depending on the results we acheived.

Apparently they are also to prepare us for our GCSE.
Apparently, SATs and GCSE are two totally different things. :confused:
My year got the best maths results (SATs) in the history of the school .. yet we are fniding maths ever so hard now :'(

Danish
04-27-2005, 06:28 PM
oh PLEASE don't mention GCSEs!!! The thought gives me the collywobbles!!!
Anyway..talking of GCSE, yep they were fun. U can spend hours and hours doing courseworks, and revise for the exams at the same time..yep, the fun, its so fun i am surprised its not illegal yet...

hehe lol, nah, SATS are not that important, i didnt do too good but i still got good grades in GCSE...anyway, SATS r the time to pull ur socks up B)

eternal_faith
04-27-2005, 07:55 PM
Our school keep saying 'get good grades so we can stay on the league table'.
So now, they've said it soooo much, we feel that we need to do well for the school not for ourselves as an idividual.

Arwa
04-27-2005, 08:34 PM
SATs are easy peasy ..don't stress :)

wait till you get to GSCE's :sister:

aamirsaab
04-28-2005, 08:22 AM
Dont need to worry too much about SATs - i mean it is not like anyone really cares about them outside of school. Its just a test at the end of the day to see if the students are working at the level that they should be. i think the average for your year is about 5 or 6 - tis one of them.

I did absolutely crap in my SATs for english - got a level 3 (you may laugh at that all you want - i do). but i still managed to get a GCSE C in it at the end of year 11 so im not fussed.

I also managed to get a 5 in maths and science so im not bothered bout the SATS they didnt mean anything when i got them and they dont mean anything now - im not going to get employed just because i got a level whatever in science, you know what i mean?

The important years of secondary school are year 10 and 11 cus thats when the GCSE's arrive cus these actually do matter.

That is not to say that you dont revise for your SATs though - they are still exams so its best to do your best init :p

good luck on your SATS. I am sure you will be able to beat my score of level 3 in english :-)

oh w8 - that level 3 was for the mock...i got a 4 in the real one..hehe :)

S_87
04-28-2005, 10:45 AM
sats are easy peasy :D
actually i might just have missed one sats exam?
but really, they dont look at your results all the time to put you into set..they look at your progress throughout the year too :D

and maths gcse and maths sats r totally different. omg maths was so hard :'( i missed half the questions in gcse exams ;D

Z
04-28-2005, 11:03 AM
Asalamu Alaikum

i missed half the questions in gcse exams
Join the club. :D But I had other reasons, not 'cos they were 'hard', seriously.

But SATs are easy, and they're not really important at all. Your first ever set of grades to go on your C.V. are going to be GCSE's/O Levels as this is the minimum amount of education you must have. So don't worry about SATs too much, I think they use the results to decide which tier you will start in your GCSE classes, so in a way, it's best if you do try hard.

Insha Allah may Allah make them easy upon you. All the best. :)

Danish
04-28-2005, 02:58 PM
As a proof SATS dont matter i got level 6 for maths, and still managed to pull A for GCSE so its not the end of the world, if u slip abit

Join the club. But I had other reasons, not 'cos they were 'hard', seriously.
Really? Yeh, i suppose u probably had better things to do than exam, like staring at the clock, playing bingo with the ruler ;)

Abdalla
04-28-2005, 06:05 PM
sats only used 2 place u in sets/classes.

islam4eva
04-28-2005, 06:06 PM
I'v got mine as well next week and i was dying to ask some this question.
so much revision and i agree on the bit that treachers give us soo much homework!!
only when we have got tests!

Teachers make them sound propa vital!

S_87
04-28-2005, 07:56 PM
lol i find this cute
stressing over sats :D

homework?

Ibn Syed
04-28-2005, 11:25 PM
I once got 99 percentile on my Math SAt's.

Khaldun
04-29-2005, 09:05 AM

soo u do sats in year nine right? wow we have got a lot of young members here, mashAllah you will all be in my duas, may Allah make it easty for you all :brother:

MetSudaisTwice
04-29-2005, 09:09 AM
yeah true, a lot of youths could only mean a good thing for this forum, inshallah they will all be in my dua to do well in their exams

Lateralus63
04-29-2005, 10:12 AM

SATS is a load of ********, all it is, is an indicator to your teachers and school of what level you might be at, its an evaluation thats all, nothing serious.

GCSE is an absolute nightmare, especially when you are an unmotivated sod like myself.

S_87
04-29-2005, 10:25 AM
lol you stress too much :D

Lateralus63
04-29-2005, 10:29 AM
:O , i have an art exam on wednesday, im supposed to complete, my first double A3 page brainstorm on the theme, and another double page on salvador dali, and another on the acutal final piece. what have i done?

Zilch.

And its photography as well and i need things constantly printed out and i dont have a colour printer, so i have to mail everything to my mums office so she gets that printed out there !!

*sigh* , sorry, needed to get that out.

S_87
04-29-2005, 10:32 AM
hmm what you doing online then? get preparing
actually if u do it on the last night because you are under pressure it might turn out better :D

Lateralus63
04-29-2005, 10:48 AM
Online? mailing my mum the pictures, pffft so boring !

Uthman
04-29-2005, 09:12 PM

And there was me thinking I was unique :'( . Too many young members have come :'(

strider
04-29-2005, 09:34 PM
Assalamu-alaikum

^ lol. Yeh, don't stress too much over the SAT's exams.. Insha'Allah all those taking them , and for those members who are also faced with their GCSE and other exams, May you pass them. :)

Wa-alaikum salam

Ibn Syed
04-29-2005, 09:47 PM
Ameen

Uthman
05-02-2005, 10:20 PM

Ok, this is it guys. My first science SAT starts tomorrow. :) Wish me luck! :) Please include me in your dua's! Pretty please with cherries on top! There's lollipops in it for you! :D

Bint Abdusattar
05-02-2005, 10:32 PM

Dua done for you - now where are the lollipops :p

Uthman
05-02-2005, 10:37 PM

Jazak'Allah khair, it's really appreciated. :)

Bint Abdusattar
05-02-2005, 10:44 PM

What a lovely brother who keeps his promises.

Sahabiyaat
05-03-2005, 07:58 AM
erm miss Bint....u cant eat that all by urself
it's unhealthy
if u r willing to share it will only be gud 4 ur teeth.

my younger sis has her sats today....she didnt seem so bothered this morning
she was just yawning and humming and sorting her revison guides..???

Arwa
05-03-2005, 05:40 PM

wow that lollie pop is big *blinks*

Uthman
05-03-2005, 06:55 PM

Ok, how did you find science paper 1 ppl? :) That astronaut question was jus' weird. And when it says Mary (I think it was Mary) did an experiment to find out how quick indigestion tablets dissolved, the first thing you have to ask yourself is like "why?" ??? I mean what kind of sad person would say "I know! Why don't I spend some time finding out how quick these indigestion tablets dissolve? :D" ??? It's just not right! Btw, the answer to that was something to do with surface area, wasn't it? because there was a whole tablet, a broken tablet and a crushed one, innit. ??? so Paper 1 was alright. Paper 2 was slightly harder but I think I did ok. :)

Arwa
05-03-2005, 07:08 PM
wa alaikum assalam

The whole tablet one would dissolve quicker innit? Because it has a bigger surface area and the enzymes can work over it better?

Uthman
05-03-2005, 07:13 PM

Wouldn't the crushed tablet have the biggest surface area? :brother:

Arwa
05-03-2005, 07:23 PM
wa alaikum assalam

I think whole tablet.

Becauuuseeeee I don't know :confused:

Well my reasoning is that if you have a crushed tablet, that you have lot's of particles would you call them? Therefor the enzymes? would be working around a lot more whereas if you have one whole tablet, enzymes can be working at the same over ONE tablet.

aaah I'm not making sense I know :'(
I could be wrong..I'm too tired.

Uthman
05-03-2005, 07:27 PM

Bah, go to sleep :brother:

Arwa
05-03-2005, 07:31 PM
wa alaikum assalam

Actually.. I was having a small discussion about that with my teacher.. a smiliar one but it was to do with my chemisty coursework.

Uthman
05-03-2005, 07:36 PM

About going to sleep? Well isn't that more a biology thing? oh, it's all germination to me. :)

Sahabiyaat
05-04-2005, 07:47 AM
u failed ur sats arwa :zip: juz messin ;)

S_87
05-04-2005, 03:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Arwa
wa alaikum assalam

I think whole tablet.

Becauuuseeeee I don't know :confused:

Well my reasoning is that if you have a crushed tablet, that you have lot's of particles would you call them? Therefor the enzymes? would be working around a lot more whereas if you have one whole tablet, enzymes can be working at the same over ONE tablet.

aaah I'm not making sense I know :'(
I could be wrong..I'm too tired.

whutttttttttt?

Arwa
05-04-2005, 05:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman

About going to sleep? Well isn't that more a biology thing? oh, it's all germination to me. :)

haha noo I meant I was talking to my teacher about a powder and a proper solid in this case a tablet.
..and she said that the 'solid' one would dissolve quicker than the powder.
I'll ask her again if I remember tomorrow cos I don't have a lesson with her until Friday :sister:

failed ur sats arwa juz messin
haha naa...I'm pretty good in science alhamdulillah ... and no :p I did not fail my SATs :sister:
The whole year took level 3-6 and I got a 6 hehehe
oh yeah.. we just had GCSE modular exams, and I got 2A's alhamdulillah :sister:
oh and that was chemisty and biology :thumbs_up

whutttttttttt?

How may I help you? ;D

Danish
05-04-2005, 05:35 PM
Ok, how did you find science paper 1 ppl? That astronaut question was jus' weird. And when it says Mary (I think it was Mary) did an experiment to find out how quick indigestion tablets dissolved, the first thing you have to ask yourself is like "why?" I mean what kind of sad person would say "I know! Why don't I spend some time finding out how quick these indigestion tablets dissolve? " It's just not right! Btw, the answer to that was something to do with surface area, wasn't it? because there was a whole tablet, a broken tablet and a crushed one, innit. so Paper 1 was alright. Paper 2 was slightly harder but I think I did ok.
Crushed/powder will increase the rate of reaction, thats because it has more surface area, therefore enzymes will be able to catalyse more of the reactant. Nope, 1 tablet will decraease the rate of reaction, that's cos less reactants (i.e. table) will be expose to enzyme for reaction due to low surface area ratio....

w/s

Mr. Baldy
05-04-2005, 05:43 PM
aslaam alykum,

ur lucky ur only doing SAT's (seriously awkward tests!!!, yes i hava a weird sense of humour), some people (i.e me) have more important exams like ermmmm i dont know GCSE's. anyways why u gettign so stressed over a little SATS's test, there easy. well all that remains to be said now is GOOD LUCK and try hard....

wa alykum aslaam

Uthman
05-04-2005, 09:33 PM

Thank you. :) You have motivated me greatly. :)

Arwa
05-04-2005, 09:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Danish
Crushed/powder will increase the rate of reaction, thats because it has more surface area, therefore enzymes will be able to catalyse more of the reactant. Nope, 1 tablet will decraease the rate of reaction, that's cos less reactants (i.e. table) will be expose to enzyme for reaction due to low surface area ratio....

w/s
Apparently, that's what I said to my teacher :confused:
I'm so determined to ask her again now! :sister: ;D

Danish
05-04-2005, 10:03 PM
ur lucky ur only doing SAT's (seriously awkward tests!!!, yes i hava a weird sense of humour), some people (i.e me) have more important exams like ermmmm i dont know GCSE's.
i have my AS exams coming up, ha...yeh, i am looking forward to seeing those cute stressful times again

btw Arwa, r u sure u didnt misunderstood ur teacher? lol

Arwa
05-04-2005, 10:04 PM
wa alaikum assalam

I have a feeling the teacher misunderstood me ;D lol

Sahabiyaat
05-05-2005, 07:34 AM
SATS- nope
GCSE - nope
AS levels nope
A2 levels yerup applys to moi
uni exams :| ...i'm glad i'm not there

A7med
05-05-2005, 04:23 PM
YYYYAAAAHHHHHHHooooooo........just 1 test left which is tomorow :D ...But i dont think they r important they will just be good 4 the schools record ;)

Mr. Baldy
05-05-2005, 05:14 PM
aslaam alykum,

ill make duah for all you guys doing exams (AS, A2, SAT's GCSE's 11+?)
inshallah all well for you......

wa alykum aslaam

Arwa
05-05-2005, 05:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Arwa
wa alaikum assalam

I have a feeling the teacher misunderstood me ;D lol

Lol..

Danish you are right lol

My teacher did misunderstand me ;D

You're answer was right :sister:

Uthman
05-05-2005, 05:41 PM

Jazak'Allah :) It's appreciated very much. :) I think the English reading paper today was fairly straight-forward and easy. :) I hope you all remembered to include quotations from the text in those long 5-mark answers! :)

The Shakespeare paper was slightly more difficult for me for obvious reasons. :) I don't think, given 45 minute to do the whole paper, without planning time, is adequate to fulfil a pupils potential. In the Mock SAT Macbeth paper we got to do it in our own time and we produced some outstanding results but I really don't understand why it has to be 45 minutes long. I was just finishing writing about Act 3, scene 2 when we had 10 minutes left! So I spent the rest of it quickly scribbling down stuff about Act 3, scene 4. Hopefully, I did ok because I fulfilled all of the level 7 criteria that our teacher told us about ,like analysing features of language and their effect. :) I got to use posh terms like oxymoron and Iambic pentameter! The question was, I think "How does Macbeth's choice of language in these scenes show that he is afraid but still determined to stay in power'. I hope you all remembered to PEE on your Shakespeare paper! :p You know what I mean, right? :p Trust me, it's not what it sounds like!

Arwa
05-05-2005, 05:52 PM
wa alaikum assalam
PEE

My teacher told me that this year! ;D ;D ;D

S_87
05-06-2005, 10:40 AM
whats it mean ???
i tink sheikh spear was soooooo boring *yamn*
i think for yr 9 we had to do macbeth??? aswell

all those aparations *yawn*

S_87
05-06-2005, 10:42 AM
oh yh i know a year 6er whos doing her sats and is sitting everyday to revise ???

Uthman
05-06-2005, 04:25 PM
P = Point
E = Evidence/Example
E = Explain :)

Remember to PEE on your papers! :)

h1jabi_sista
05-06-2005, 05:38 PM

omg!!!! we're doing that aswell! we did that in year 9 aswell....trust me your guna need it for your g.c.s.es....once you keep practising it wont leave you inshallah :thumbs_up

i thought it was just something me weird teacher made up, i didnt realise all the schools do it! :) kool

Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-06-2005, 05:40 PM
Is the SATs there short for Scholastic Achievement Test. here you take it in 11th or 12th grade, and its important for getting into college. this is in the US btw:) Howz the Uk system?

h1jabi_sista
05-06-2005, 05:44 PM
okie, I have no idea what SATs stands for but we take them in year 9, when your 14.

we take g.c.s.es at 16 which is important for us to get into collage. i think you leave highschool at 18 whereas we leave at 16. collage to us is year 11 and 12, whereas i think collage for the US is university, starting at 18?
becuase you spend 2 more years in highschool dont ya? :)

verrrryyyy confusing!

Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-06-2005, 05:47 PM
yup

Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-06-2005, 05:48 PM
college is at 18 but u can take early classes. SATS when ur in 11th or 12th. Regents (Only in nyc:mad: ) thorughout Highschool.

Uthman
05-06-2005, 06:44 PM

Here SAT stands for Standard Achievement test. :) We have SATS at the end of every key stage. :) So we have one in key stage one, year 2 (I actually remember that), one in year 6 (key stage two) and one in year 9 (Key Stage 3). :)

Uthman
05-09-2005, 10:52 PM

No-one seems to be telling us how it went for them. :brother:

S_87
05-10-2005, 02:46 PM
how did it go for u osman? :)

MetSudaisTwice
05-10-2005, 02:48 PM
sorry bro osman, how did your exams go? i hope you found it easy and inshallah you will pass

Usayd
05-11-2005, 05:45 PM
Quite frankly - no
i got 776 and i really dont care :D they're a good preperation i suppose though they aren't really the same as GCSE's

Danish
05-11-2005, 06:33 PM
college is at 18
its Uni or college here at that time...when's high school dere?

Uthman
10-31-2005, 06:33 PM

Maths - 7 :ooh:
English - 7 :)
Science - 6 :(

Halima
10-31-2005, 06:42 PM
As of right now I'm taking SAT prep classes. I have the option of taking ACT, but I don't need to take SAT or ACT to get accepted into college. Becuase my college is a state school.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.