/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ya, boo to the PC playground

HeiGou
04-10-2006, 05:26 PM
Does anyone but me find it odd that the police should be dragging ten year olds to court for using bad words while at the same time I am told that the British are horrendously racist? I won't bother asking if any Muslim country has ever prosecuted a Muslim for calling a Christian or a Jew rude words. It would be too silly for words.

The Times April 10, 2006

Ya, boo to the PC playground
By Carol Sarler

THE PO-FACED POLICE force of Greater Manchester, together with the Crown Prosecution Service and the vigorous support of teachers’ unions, have conspired to haul to court a boy of 10 on charges of racism. The judge looked at the allegations — essentially ones of name-calling, including “Paki” and “bin Laden”; he found them to be absurd, sent everybody home to reconsider the value of prosecuting at all and declared the case to be political correctness gone mad.

He was wrong. It was worse than that, for it is hard to think of anything more certain to increase this particular brand of schoolyard torment than to have made such a song and dance about it.

Children aren’t naturally racist; indeed, the Manchester lad and his “victim” are already friends again, in and out of each others’ homes and playing football together — inconceivable had race really been a serious issue between them.

What children are is horrid. All of them have at times actively sought to wound for no better reason than that they feel like it and they can. And from the delicious discovery of their first swear word — unintelligible to them at the time but, golly, just look at its effect! — they build an arsenal of vocabulary whose entire meaning for them lies only in the punch it packs.

At the primary school age of which we are speaking, children no more mind that a fellow pupil is brown or black than that he wears pebble glasses or sports spots or a fat tum; they care only that each characteristic, in a mean moment, lines up the cross hairs for target practice.

So if children with attack in mind come to realise — whether courtesy of the police, judges, politicians or anybody else — that “Four Eyes” or “Fatso” or “Paki” are the very worst names they can possibly call another, they will become, de facto, the very best.

Such brattish behaviour does, of course, deserve our attention, be it a quiet word, a loud rebuke or — a personal favourite — a hefty dose of ridicule. But to invoke the full might of the law is not only counter-productive, it is dangerous. If children learn that they are to be more strictly punished for teasing the brown boy than for teasing the spotty white boy, we won’t have to worry about racism. That will follow right behind, all of its own accord.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
afriend
04-10-2006, 05:30 PM
teasing the brown boy than for teasing the spotty white boy,
Isn't that a bit racist?

But that's true, it would be a good way to boost anti-racism!

Muezzin
04-10-2006, 05:31 PM
Surely they told the headteacher before tugging at the long arm of the law? I agree it's silly to haul a schoolboy to court for this.

If, however, when they get older such mentality leads to violence, bring on the ASBO.

knuckles
04-10-2006, 05:32 PM
I agree with this. A group recieving preferential treatment will lead to resentment that will lead to racism

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muezzin
04-10-2006, 05:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by knuckles
I agree with this. A group recieving preferential treatment will lead to resentment that will lead to racism
So, what, a kid calls a black kid the 'n' word and it's okay? :p

knuckles
04-10-2006, 05:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
So, what, a kid calls a black kid the 'n' word and it's okay? :p
Wouldn't be the first time just like if the black kid called the white kid a cracker or a honkey. An apology should be made and detention given for a first offense. Nothing more.

Muezzin
04-10-2006, 05:47 PM
Wouldn't be the first time just like if the black kid called the white kid a cracker or a honkey. An apology should be made and detention given for a first offense. Nothing more.
Cool. I agree. Just trying to find out where you stand. :brother:

knuckles
04-10-2006, 05:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Cool. I agree. Just trying to find out where you stand. :brother:
Oh I know I was just clarifying. I know sometimes it hard for people to understand what you mean by just words on a computer screen.

aamirsaab
04-10-2006, 10:12 PM
:sl:
Oh I know I was just clarifying. I know sometimes it hard for people to understand what you mean by just words on a computer screen.
Tell me about it.

On topic: Taking a kid to court for racist comments is a bit harsh. What do they expect as a punishment, 5 seconds in prison? No, i'm not defending racist comments, i think it's retarded to say that kind of stuff and i think that if you do say those words, you're going to get yo butt whooped.

Ghazi
04-10-2006, 10:15 PM
Salaam

Detention, seriosuly If any kid were to call me the N word I'll introduce him to my fist.

knuckles
04-11-2006, 02:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth
Salaam

Detention, seriosuly If any kid were to call me the N word I'll introduce him to my fist.
In my book that's acceptable too but I was speaking of an action the school should take.

Knut Hamsun
04-11-2006, 08:23 PM
Below are the specifics of this incident. Jonathan Finestein is a very sensible chap, yes, yes, my good man! And the op-ed which began this thread is correct to point out:
If children learn that they are to be more strictly punished for teasing the brown boy than for teasing the spotty white boy, we won’t have to worry about racism. That will follow right behind, all of its own accord.
But the biggest victims of this madness are the people I love most, the elderly. I cannot imagine being 75 years old in today's society--this type of "litigiousness mania"(savage victimhood, blind blame-game playing...) has surely to offend our elders sensibilities beyond repair. What must they think of our collective future? I dare not ask them!

Judge: Race Charge 'Crazy'

Updated: 10:16, Friday April 07, 2006
A district judge has branded the prosecution of a schoolboy accused of racially abusing a classmate in the playground "political correctness gone mad".
Jonathan Finestein said he thought the decision to haul the 10-year-old before court was "crazy" and urged the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) to drop the case.
He told Salford Youth Court: "Have we really got to the stage where we are prosecuting 10-year-old boys because of political correctness?
"I was repeatedly called fat at school. Does this amount to a criminal offence? This is political correctness gone mad, it's crazy."
The judge added: "In the old days the headmaster would have got them both and given them a good clouting.
"He would have said they had behaved like idiots, given them the slipper or whatever he used to get and they would have gone away to shake hands.
"This is how stupid the whole system is getting. There are major crimes out there and the police don't bother to prosecute."
The criticisms came as the schoolboy from Irlam, Greater Manchester, was summonsed to court accused of racially abusing a fellow pupil.
Appearing at court with his parents, he admitted admitted using one racial insult but denied a racially aggravated public order offence.
He said he did not use any other racist terms, claimed the complainant had called him "white trash" and said they were now friends.
Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said the force took all reports of crime seriously and the Crown Prosecution Service said it would continue to review the case.
The case has been adjourned until April 20.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...217944,00.html

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.