/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Israeli cabinet ends Sharon reign

DaSangarTalib
04-11-2006, 08:57 PM
The Israeli cabinet unanimously declared ailing prime minister Ariel Sharon “permanently incapacitated” on Tuesday, AFP reported.

The cabinet decision marks the official end of Sharon’s five-year tenure.

The coma-stricken leader was expected to win a third straight term as prime minister, but he suffered a massive stroke on January 4 that forced him out of the political scene.

The Israeli cabinet also designated Ehud Olmert acting prime minister, an appointment expected to take effect on Friday.

Olmert, 60, was handed the powers of Sharon shortly after the 78-year-old leader suffered the stroke.

Under Israeli law, a sick prime minister can have a temporary replacement for up to 100 days before the appointment of an official successor.

As leader of the centrist Kadima party that Sharon founded last November, Olmert is trying to form a coalition government after his movement won last month’s parliamentary election.

After the cabinet meeting, Olmert said he hoped his status as acting prime minister won’t last long.

"I hope today's decision will only be a short-term one," he told his ministers. "We are busy forming the next government."

Al Jazeera

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Arch_warrior
04-11-2006, 09:01 PM
ohhh sharon aint dead yet , i really do hope he suffers an immense death!! for all the children and woman and elderly people that where brutaly killed by his hands!

knuckles
04-11-2006, 09:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Arch_warrior
ohhh sharon aint dead yet , i really do hope he suffers an immense death!! for all the children and woman and elderly people that where brutaly killed by his hands!
I wished the same on Arafat but alas he went too quick for my taste.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.