/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Yellow clothing haram?

sumay28
04-12-2006, 01:56 AM
Sahih Muslim, Book 24:

Book 024, Number 5173:
'Abdullah b. 'Amr b. al-As reported: Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) saw me wearing two clothes dyed in saffron. whereupon he said: These are the clothes (usually worn by) the non-believers, so do not wear them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Book 024, Number 5174:
This hadith has been reported on the authority of Yahya b. Abu Kathir with the same chain of trarnmitteis.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Book 024, Number 5175:
'Abdullah b. 'Amr reported: Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) saw me in two clothes dyed in saffron, whereupon he said: Has your mother ordered you to do so? And I said: I will wash them. He said: But burn them.

Book 024, Number 5176:
'Ali b. Abu Talib reported that Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) forbade wearing of silk and yellow clothes, and the gold ring, and the reciting of the Qur'an in the ruku' (state of kneeling in prayer).

Book 024, Number 5177:
Ali b. Abu Talib reported: Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) forbade me to recite the Qur'an while I am in ruku; and the wearing of gold and clothes dyed in saffron.

Book 024, Number 5178:
'Ali b. Abu Talib reported: Allah's Meisenger (may peace be upon him) forbade me to use gold rings. to wear silk clothes and to recite the Qur'an in ruku' and sajda (prostration), and to wear yellow garments.

:?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslim Soldier
04-12-2006, 08:32 AM
huh??
my god I did not know about this.
thanks

Snowflake
04-12-2006, 09:09 AM
Saffron is very expensive so it was probably forbidden for preventing ostentation. As there were no synthetic dyes in those days, it was clear for all to see that anyone wearing yellow clothing would have had it dyed with saffron. So being expensive, it was a sign of wealth. It is not suitable for a muslim to show off and flaunt his wealth to impress others.

Gold weaken a man sexually and silk brings out his feminine side, not to mention making them ostentatious too. That is why they are haraam for men.

I doubt these days clothes are dyed with saffron but synthetic dyes.

Muslim Soldier
04-12-2006, 10:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah sis
Gold weaken a man sexually and silk brings out his feminine side, not to mention making them ostentatious too. That is why they are haraam for men.
Where did you get this form?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IbnAbdulHakim
04-12-2006, 10:09 AM
Either way lets just avoid gold/yellow and saffron inshaAllah.

SAHIH BUKHARI:

Volume 1, Book 2, Number 49:
Narrated An-Nu'man bin Bashir:

I heard Allah's Apostle saying, 'Both legal and illegal things are evident but in between them there are doubtful (suspicious) things and most of the people have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from these suspicious things saves his religion and his honor. And whoever indulges in these suspicious things is like a shepherd who grazes (his animals) near the Hima (private pasture) of someone else and at any moment he is liable to get in it. (O people!) Beware! Every king has a Hima and the Hima of Allah on the earth is His illegal (forbidden) things. Beware! There is a piece of flesh in the body if it becomes good (reformed) the whole body becomes good but if it gets spoilt the whole body gets spoilt and that is the heart.

Al-Zaara
04-12-2006, 10:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
Saffron is very expensive so it was probably forbidden for preventing ostentation. As there were no synthetic dyes in those days, it was clear for all to see that anyone wearing yellow clothing would have had it dyed with saffron. So being expensive, it was a sign of wealth. It is not suitable for a muslim to show off and flaunt his wealth to impress others.

I doubt these days clothes are dyed with saffron but synthetic dyes.
:sl:

So, it is forbbidden to wear yellow only for men but not for women? :?

:w:

IbnAbdulHakim
04-12-2006, 10:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aafreen

from what i understand yes

Allahu allam

Al-Zaara
04-12-2006, 10:26 AM

JazakAllah brother.
And JazakAllah khair for sharing this information, sister sumay28! :thankyou:

Snowflake
04-15-2006, 09:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aafreen

Salam,

The post mentions clothing dyed with saffron being haraam, not yellow clothing as such. So I would assume yellow cloth that hasnt been dyed with saffron is not haraam for both sexes.

Originally Posted by Muslimah sis
Where did you get this form?
I read it ages ago. I'll try and find references inshaAllah.

Starseeker
04-15-2006, 09:31 PM
I didn't know about yellow but red clothing was frowned upon by the prophet

ishkabab
04-15-2006, 09:33 PM
whoa interesting i never knew

NahidSarvy
04-15-2006, 09:44 PM
Wouldn't the reasoning for wearing silk and gold be the same, namely that they are ostentatious and expensive?

Snowflake
04-15-2006, 11:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by NahidSarvy
Wouldn't the reasoning for wearing silk and gold be the same, namely that they are ostentatious and expensive?
It's likely that that is one of the reasons. But we know that diamonds as well as other metals are much more expensive than Gold, so that cannot be the only reason. As I mentioned in my previous post, Gold and silk are adornments of women and they do affect a man's masculinity negatively, hence being forbidden. Think of cross-dressers and their mannerisms.

NahidSarvy
04-16-2006, 02:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
It's likely that that is one of the reasons. But we know that diamonds as well as other metals are much more expensive than Gold, so that cannot be the only reason. As I mentioned in my previous post, Gold and silk are adornments of women and they do affect a man's masculinity negatively, hence being forbidden. Think of cross-dressers and their mannerisms.
Some very manly men wear gold and silk all over the world; it is vain, but it does not make them unmanly or a crossdresser.

muzna
04-16-2006, 02:51 PM
assalam brothers and sisters

i heard somewhere that Ayesha (peace be upon her) used to wear yellow

FatimaAsSideqah
04-16-2006, 03:06 PM
I hope this link is more clear for you..http://path-to-peace.com/clothing.html

------
04-16-2006, 03:07 PM
Jazakallah for this.

mortazaB
04-16-2006, 03:09 PM
Aw... I have this sweet Yellow long sleeve :(

Inshallah, I'll stop.

afriend
04-16-2006, 03:11 PM
There is a difference Between Saffron and synthetic Yellow dyes...Saffron was very expensive and was worn by the rich etc.

But I don't want to be making any wrong statements...So I am still confused.... :?

ishkabab
04-16-2006, 03:13 PM
yeh i asked my hubby n he said he never heard anything bout not wearing or avoiding the yellow color...but however he know about saffron n gold..

------
04-16-2006, 03:14 PM
Now u ppl making me confuzzleddddddd :(

muzna
04-16-2006, 03:14 PM
it has been established that gold and silk were forbidden for men..i'm not sure of saffron though

ubaid
04-17-2006, 01:31 PM
Is there any evidence to say that yellow is haram to wear? i can understand gold and saffron because it is expensive, but yellow??

Ibn Abi Ahmed
04-17-2006, 01:34 PM

Please stop posting topics that require a Scholor. Its sad that many people do not pray and do not do the Fard acts, and are more concerned and more knowledgeable about these matters, Subhanallah. Fear Allah.

12.This is not a Fiqh discussion board. Prolonged threads arguing over Fatwas and the details of Islamic law will be closed. Avoid asking questions that require a Scholar or Shaykh, as there is no one on the board qualified to answer your questions. Please use other knowledgeable means such as a scholar, Imam or knowledgeable person in your area or provide sources.

:threadclo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.