/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What is THE Greatest single Deed?

Isma'el
04-13-2006, 02:47 PM
:sl:

i was jst wondering...what is THE single greatest deed that a beliver can do..?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
afriend
04-13-2006, 02:48 PM
Control of the 'Nafs' (desires)

And Respecting the mother and father is a great deed.......

More inshallah.

mortazaB
04-13-2006, 02:51 PM
Going for Jihad? Not sure...

Sister_6038
04-13-2006, 02:55 PM
right correct me if im wrong but i thought jihad meant struggle..???

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
yussufmo
04-13-2006, 02:57 PM
isint the greatest deed goin 2 mecca?

Isma'el
04-13-2006, 03:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by yussufmo
isint the greatest deed goin 2 mecca?
Do mean Hajj

Kittygyal
04-13-2006, 03:13 PM
isn't the greatest deed to respect your parents?

please do correct me :)

take care

mortazaB
04-13-2006, 03:13 PM
I asked Allah's Apostle, "O Allah's Apostle! What is the best deed?" He replied, "To offer the prayers at the early fixed times." I asked, "What is next in goodness?" He replied, "To be good and dutiful to your parents." I further asked, what is next in goodness?" He replied, "To participate in Jihad in Allah's Cause." I did not ask Allah's Apostle anymore and if I had asked him more, he would have told me more [ 051:041 Shahih Bukhari ]

Isma'el
04-13-2006, 03:22 PM
i always taught j1had was the ultimate deed...ie battle in the way of Allah...?

DaSangarTalib
04-13-2006, 03:24 PM
Jihad Fi Sabillilah (i.e. physical one) NOT jihad of the nafs :)

hamzaa
04-13-2006, 03:43 PM
:salamext:

Must be safeguarding muslim borders..........

w/salaam

Isma'el
04-13-2006, 03:50 PM
i love this hadith...Allah hu akbar

Narrated Abu Huraira: A man came to Allah's Apostle and said, "Instruct me as to such a deed as equals jihad (in reward)." He replied, "I do not find such a deed." Then he added, "Can you, while the Muslim fighter is in the battle-field, enter your mosque to perform prayers without cease and fast and never break your fast?" The man said, "But who can do that?" Abu- Huraira added, "The Mujahid (i.e. Muslim fighter) is rewarded even for the footsteps of his horse while it wanders bout (for grazing) tied in a long rope." (Book #52, Hadith #44)

nimrod
04-14-2006, 04:25 AM
To know that, God is God.

Thanks
Nimrod

Khaldun
04-14-2006, 04:30 AM

It also depends from person to person, if you are a person that indulges in haram abstaining from it becomes a great deed of virtue. Next question might be, "but I saw this other hadith that said so and so" yet it has to be seen within context.

nimrod
04-16-2006, 01:02 AM
Second greatest thing:

To love thy neighbor.

Thanks
Nimrod

maryam (",)
04-20-2006, 10:15 PM
dawah

Ghazi
04-20-2006, 10:26 PM
Salaam

1. SALAH
2. BEING GOOD TO PARENTS
3. JIHAD

Hussein radi
04-21-2006, 04:19 AM
iTS CONVERTING PEOPLE IT ISLAM. MY MOTHER TOLD ME THAT:giggling:

cool_jannah
04-21-2006, 06:20 AM
The greatest single deed a person can do is to sacrifice something for Allah, which he loves the most. So the best deed a person can do is to stop doing (something disliked by Allah) that a person always has a habbit of doing.

extinction
04-21-2006, 06:24 AM
im sure there are hadith which state the greatest deed.....and what is meant by greatest deed? the one that carries most reward? or is most pleasing to Allah s.w.t?

cool_jannah
04-21-2006, 06:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by hafizmo
im sure there are hadith which state the greatest deed.....and what is meant by greatest deed? the one that carries most reward? or is most pleasing to Allah s.w.t?
In the Qur'an, Allah, subhanahu wa Ta'ala tals about the worst sin a person can commit i.e. shirk. So if a person avoids shirk and believes in the Onness of Allah is I think the best deed that a person can do.

cool_jannah
04-21-2006, 06:30 AM
Also, apart from whata a person can do for the sake of Allah, which is by default gifted by Allah in the form of character, understanding, knowledge, wisdom and so on....apart from the qualities which are already within us, if a person steps a step further and works hard to please Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'laa is one of the best Hasanat(good deeds) a person can do.

cool_jannah
04-21-2006, 06:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cool_jannah
The greatest single deed a person can do is to sacrifice something for Allah, which he loves the most. So the best deed a person can do is to stop doing (something disliked by Allah) that a person always has a habbit of doing.
In the Qur'an, Allah, subhanahu wa Ta'ala tals about the worst sin a person can commit i.e. shirk. So if a person avoids shirk and believes in the Onness of Allah is I think the best deed that a person can do.

Also, apart from whata a person can do for the sake of Allah, which is by default gifted by Allah in the form of character, understanding, knowledge, wisdom and so on....apart from the qualities which are already within us, if a person steps a step further and works hard to please Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'laa is one of the best Hasanat(good deeds) a person can do.
and all of this is part of purifying the nafs...

_salam_
04-21-2006, 01:31 PM
Jihad (physical Jihad, not Jihad of the nafs) in the cause of Allah!

From the book, "The Book of Jihad" by Ibn Nuhaas
Chapter 2, The virtues of Jihad

Jihad Is The Best Deed After Salah And Being Dutiful Towards One’s Parents:

The Messenger of Allah was asked what is the most beloved act of worship in the eyes of Allah? He said, “Praying on time,” I said, “Then what?” He said, “Being dutiful towards your parents,” I said and “then what?” He said, “jihad in the path of Allah”101

“Ibn Umar used to consider jihad to be the best of all deed after Salah”102

Jihad Is The Greatest Deed After Believing In Allah:

17. The Messenger of Allah was asked, “What is the best of all acts of worship?” He said, “Believing in Allah” He was asked, “And then what?” He responded, “Jihad in the path of Allah” Then he was asked “And then what?” He said, “An accepted Hajj”103
18. Ma’iz narrates, the Messenger of Allah was asked, “What is the best deed?” He said, “Believing in Allah, and then jihad, and then Hajj which would be better than every other deed like the distance between the sunset and sunrise”104,105
19. Abu Dharr narrates, I asked the Messenger of Allah about the best deeds, he said, “Believing in Allah and jihad in His path”106
20. Abu Qatadah narrates that the Messenger of Allah stood and delivered a reminder to them and said that jihad in the path of Allah and believing in Allah are the greatest deeds. A man then stood up and asked, “O Messenger of Allah, what if I was killed in the path of Allah would my all my sins be forgiven?” The Messenger of Allah said: “Yes”107
21. Abu Hurairah narrates that the Messenger of Allah said “the best of deeds in the eyes of Allah are: belief in Allah with conviction, Qazw with no qulool108, and an acceptable hajj”109

Jihad Is Greater Than Worshiping In The House Of Allah And Serving It And Serving The Pilgrims:

22. Al Numan bin Bashir narrates: I was sitting next to the pulpit of the Messenger of Allah when a man said, “I wouldn’t mind if I don’t do anything after becoming a Muslim but serving the pilgrims.” Another said, “I wouldn’t mind if I don’t do anything after becoming a Muslim but praying in the sacred masjid (Makkah).” A third said, “No, jihad in the path of Allah is better than what you said.” Omar scolded them and told them to stay quiet and not raise their voices next to the pulpit of the Messenger of Allah. He then said, this is Friday and in a short while he will come to give khutbah. When he leaves I will go and ask him about your discussion. Allah then revealed: “Have you made the providing of water for the pilgrim and the maintenance of al-Masjid al-Haraam equal to one who believes in Allah and the Last Day and makes jihad in the cause of Allah? They are not equal in the sight of Allah. And Allah does not guide the wrongdoing people.”110,111

References That Jihad Is The Greatest Deed Of All:

23. Amr bin Absah narrates: A man said O Messenger of Allah what is Islam? He said, “Islam is submission of your heart, and that the Muslims are safe from your tongue and your hands” He said: “What is the best of Islam?” The Messenger of Allah said, “Iman (Faith)” He said what is faith? The Messenger of Allah replied, “To believe in Allah, His angels, His books, His Messengers, and the resurrection after death” He said, “What is the best of Iman?” The Messenger of Allah said, “Hijrah” He said what is hijrah? The Messenger of Allah said, “To leave sins behind” He said, “What is the best of hijrah?” The Messenger of Allah said, “Jihad” He said what is the best of jihad? The Messenger of Allah said, “the one whose horse is slain and his blood is spilled”112 See, may Allah have mercy on you, how the Messenger of Allah made the best of the best of the best of Islam to be jihad, and then he made the best of jihad to be martyrdom.
24. The Messenger of Allah told a man: “Become a Muslim,” The man said, “what is Islam?” He responded to him, and then he asked him about hijrah and jihad. The man said what is jihad? The Messenger of Allah said, “you fight in the cause of Allah and you do not fear fighting the enemy and you do not commit qalool”113
25. Ayisha narrates that she told the Messenger of Allah, “O Messenger of Allah, we see that jihad in the cause of Allah is the greatest deed. Shouldn’t we then make jihad?” The Messenger of Allah responded, “For you the best jihad is hajj mabroor”114
26. Abu Hurairah narrates that the Messenger of Allah said, “The jihad of the old, the weak, and the women is hajj and umrah”115
27. Al Khateeb mentions in “The history of Baghdad” and ibn Asakir in “The history of Damascus”, that Muhammad bin Fadhail bin Iyad said: I saw ibn al Mubarak in my dream so I asked him “What did you find your best deeds to be?” He said: “The deed that I preoccupied myself with” I asked “Jihad and Ribaat?” He said: “Yes”. I told him “So what did Allah do to you?” He said, “He forgave me”
28. Al Fadhl bin Ziyad said I heard Abu Abdullah (Imam Ahmad) when Qazw was mentioned to him he started to cry and then said: “There is no act of worship greater than it”
29. In al Mugni it states that Imam Ahmad said: “There is nothing comparable in rewards to meeting the enemy. And for one to involve in the actual fighting is the best of deeds (compared to supportive roles.) The ones who are fighting the enemy are the ones defending Islam, so what can be greater than that? People feel save while they feel fear. They have given up their souls for Allah”

Jihad Is The Most Beloved Deed To Allah:

30. Abdullah bin Salaam said we were a group of the companions of the Messenger of Allah and we said if we just knew what was the most beloved deed to Allah. Allah then revealed: “Whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth exalts Allah, and He is the Exalted in Might, the Wise. O you who have believed, why do you say what you do not do? Great is hatred in the sight if Allah that you say what you do not do. Indeed, Allah loves those who fight in His cause in a row as though they are a [single] structure joined firmly” 116

The Mujahid Is The Greatest Of All People:

“Allah has preferred the mujahideen over those who remain [behind] with a great reward Degrees from Him and forgiveness and mercy. And Allah is ever Forgiving and Merciful.”11731. Abu Said al Khudri narrates that the Messenger of Allah was asked, “Who is the best of people?” He said, “A believer who is making jihad with his life and his wealth in the cause of Allah”118

No One Can Practice Any Act Of Worship Equivalent To Jihad:

32. Abu Hurairah narrates that the Messenger of Allah was asked about a deed equal in reward to jihad. He replied, “You cant do it” They asked again and then a third time, and every time the Messenger of Allah says, “You cant do it” Then he said, “The equivalent of the mujahid is the one who fasts and prays continuously without resting until the mujahid comes back!”119
33. A man came to the Messenger of Allah and asked him about something to do equivalent to jihad. The Messenger of Allah said, “I don’t find any” Then he said, “When the mujahid leaves, can you enter into your masjid and pray and fast with no break?” The man said, “And who could do that!”120
34. Abu Hurairah says: The horse of the mujahid would be running in a pastureland and the mujahid would be given rewards for that!121 If the ones with high aspirations, those who had their rewards multiplied because of their companionship of the Messenger of Allah; if they cannot find anything equivalent to jihad, then how can we be at ease with lower deeds. How can we settle for other deeds when even then we might have them mixed with insincerity and shortcomings? O Allah wake us up from this sleep and grant us jihad in your cause before it’s too late! You are our hope for any good and there is no strength with anyone but you.

References To Preference Of Jihad Over Hajj:

49. Ibn Umar said: “One trip on jihad is better than 50 hajjs”142 This narration to ibn Umar is authentic
50. Dhirar bin Amr said: “I have spent a very long time in jihad and my heart was longing to hajj. I made my preparations to go and then went to greet my brothers. I visited Ishaaq bin Abu Farwah to tell him good-bye. He asked me, “Where are you going?” I said: “I am going on hajj,” He said: “Has your opinion on jihad changed or what?” I said: “No! Its just that I have been here on jihad for a long time and I was longing for hajj and visiting the House of Allah” He told me: “Dhirar! You should not do what you love, but you should do what Allah loves. O Dhirar, don’t you know that the Messenger of Allah only made hajj once, but then spend his life fighting in jihad until he met Allah. O Dhirar! If you make hajj then you are rewarded for your hajj or umrah. But if you are posted in jihad or fighting and protecting the backs of Muslims, then if that House is visited by 100,000 pilgrims or whatever number, you would be getting the reward of everyone of their hajjs and the hajj of every believing man or woman until the Day of Judgment! Because whoever protects the believers is like the one who protects them from the time of Adam until the Day of Judgment. You are also rewarded for fighting the nonbelievers from the day Adam was created until the Day of Judgment because whoever fights them today is like the one who fights them from the day Adam was created until the Day of Judgment. You are also rewarded for every letter revealed in the Torah, Gospel and Quran because you are fighting to protect the light of Allah from being extinguished. O Dhirar bin Amr! Don’t you know that there is no one closer to the status of prophethood than the scholars and mujahideen? I said, “And how is that?” He said: “Because the scholars are the ones who fulfill the role of the Prophets in guiding others to the truth and teaching it to them. While the mujahideen are the ones who fight for what the Prophets have brought and strive to make the word of Allah the highest and the word of the nonbelievers the lowest” Dhirar said: “I decided to give up hajj and remain in jihad until I die and meet Allah”

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.