/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslims Gullible?

Malsidabym
04-15-2006, 01:28 AM
Please excuse me for saying this. I am sure it must be a minority, but I have noticed some people on this forum to be extremely gullible. I just viewed a thread entitled "'lizard Girl' In Hospital", and honestly it was laughable.

Quite a few people seemed to believe it were possible that a girl kicked a quran and turned into a lizard. Then there were a few variations on this including dogs, monkies, pigs, fish, etc. I mean come on people. Why even entertain this for even a microsecond? It is absurd. I have only ever seen this kind of gullibility in very young children.

I can assure you, you can [REMOVED OFFENSIVE COMMENT]. The only thing you had better turn into is a very fast runner, from the mob of angry muslims that would like to express their displeasure with your athletic demonstration.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
hamzaa
04-15-2006, 01:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malsidabym
Please excuse me for saying this. I am sure it must be a minority, but I have noticed some people on this forum to be extremely gullible. I just viewed a thread entitled "'lizard Girl' In Hospital", and honestly it was laughable.

Quite a few people seemed to believe it were possible that a girl kicked a quran and turned into a lizard. Then there were a few variations on this including dogs, monkies, pigs, fish, etc. I mean come on people. Why even entertain this for even a microsecond? It is absurd. I have only ever seen this kind of gullibility in very young children.

I can assure you, you can [REMOVED OFFENSIVE COMMENT]. The only thing you had better turn into is a very fast runner, from the mob of angry muslims that would like to express their displeasure with your athletic demonstration.
Peace,

Assure us, can you....?:offended:

Malsidabym
04-15-2006, 02:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by hamzaa
Peace,

Assure us, can you....?:offended:
I could, but I won't. I really am not a very fast runner.

Safa
04-15-2006, 02:02 AM
Greetings,

Personally, I didn't believe the lizard story. I suppose it was used a scare tactic for children. But that doesn't mean that I would disrespect the Qur'an like that. To you it might not be such a big deal, but it's important for us to make good use of the Qur'an.

Peace.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
hamzaa
04-15-2006, 02:23 AM
I could, but I won't. I really am not a very fast runner.
Peace, so whats with this assurance rubbish? S------ all you want and how you would like to mistreat the last revelation sent to humanity. God willingly, you will be guided on the path of righteousness.

Malaikah
04-15-2006, 03:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by hamzaa
God willingly, you will be guided on the path of righteousness.
ameen.

i personally dont think it is fair to say that muslims are gullible.. a bit of a generalisation isnt it? although yeh i too was amazed at the number of people how believed that insae story.. but i guess you should recognise that, althought the story is absurd.. its not impossible in the mind of a muslim since we believe in God and him being all powerful... i dont know if you believe in God, if you dont, or if you do believe but dont have the mentality of God being all powerful.. well naturally such a story would appear absurd to you.

so.. i just wanted to say gullible is a harsh word.. maybe ignorant of the lies that the internet so easily spreads is a better description (keeping in mind of course that most users of this thread are pretty young and so arent really as 'wise' or sceptical as older people may be)

*charisma*
04-15-2006, 04:54 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

haha.
are you trying to be funny homer? dare you even touch the Glorious Qur'an with your filthy hands ill kick you in the face.
cool down jannah :p, come on ekhi, be nice(r)...
Allah is the best of all Judges alhemdulilah

You're excused.

I agree with you, especially since you didn't generalize everyone, and those few who are gullible seriously need to stay away from those topics, especially when they haven't researched it or seen it. People these days need to have a bit more sense to know that its a lot better to spread words of knowledge and wisdom of what they do know rather what has "possibly" happened. A smaller portion of that "some" are ignorant, subhanallah

May Allah grant us 'ilm and sabr ameen.

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

renak
04-15-2006, 06:11 AM
[QUOTE=Malsidabym;258531]Please excuse me for saying this. I am sure it must be a minority, but I have noticed some people on this forum to be extremely gullible. I just viewed a thread entitled "'lizard Girl' In Hospital", and honestly it was laughable.
QUOTE]

I think that a lot of people on this forum are quite young and lead sheltered lives (which isn't necessarily bad). Via education they will become less guillible ( I know I have:happy: ). However, education for both men and women is extremely important (as the previously mentioned thread demonstrates). Education and self-growth is a beautiful thing!!!!!

Such believable natures exist amongst people of all religious backgrounds.

Malsidabym
04-15-2006, 06:33 AM
[Edit]

Cheese,
i personally dont think it is fair to say that muslims are gullible.. a bit of a generalisation isnt it?
I am a little surprised sister, you usually read the posts a little closer and have some understanding. I did not say that muslims are gullible. I clearly said "I am sure it must be a minority". I am sorry to offend you Cheese, but it is a misunderstanding, please read my post again.

Safa,
Personally, I didn't believe the lizard story. I suppose it was used a scare tactic for children. But that doesn't mean that I would disrespect the Qur'an like that. To you it might not be such a big deal, but it's important for us to make good use of the Qur'an.
And I would not disrespect the Quran like that either. The point was simply that noone is going to turn into anything if they kick the book. The "kick it a football field length" thing and "turn into a very fast runner" thing was some fun, no harm intended. I never said I wanted to do this. Hamzaa, same goes for you. Chill.

Charisma and Renak, thank you for being rational enough to actually read the post, and see that there was no harm intended. With people like you, and usually Cheese, I can have a civilized conversation.

Al-Zaara
04-15-2006, 09:26 AM

Yes, I agree with you. And I know, you didn't mean to do any harm when you gave that example of the kicking the Quran, astagfirullah, but you were right.
The same goes for the Bible, Torah or the other Holy Books or anything else that people see as holy or religious. Just becuase you kick it or do something else to it, you won't yurn into a pig, for example. Not physically at least. LOL. Of course, doing so just shows how disrespectful you are towards the religion of others and it also shows your character.

But back to the topic... Yes, I do think the people who believe those kind of stories you've stated are a bit off the track. Or completely.
Which is sad to say, because I would've thought people should have some sense of reality in this time of the world.

Peace

Malaikah
04-15-2006, 09:32 AM
[Edit]
Cheese,
I am a little surprised sister, you usually read the posts a little closer and have some understanding. I did not say that muslims are gullible. I clearly said "I am sure it must be a minority". I am sorry to offend you Cheese, but it is a misunderstanding, please read my post again.
woops sorry mate... i must have missed something! maybe its the new glasses:rollseyes ... but yeh i wasnt offended at all!! i think its just that i didnt like the thread title, which you must admit is kinda :mmokay:

take care!:)

Muezzin
04-15-2006, 11:56 AM
Damn right! :giggling:

I know exactly what you mean. I thought all Muslims were smarter than this.

Is it wrong for me to find the humour in that statement?

As for these silly lizard girl/fish girl/super girl stories... Why the heck do we need these stupid didactic fairy tales to tell us not to disrespect the Quran? Surely, we should treat it as the sacred text that it is because we are raised to respect it.

IbnAbdulHakim
04-15-2006, 12:01 PM
i think its only the people that really dont do there research that could believe such things. Personally i require proof for everything and i've become one serious muslim. That says a lot about islam eh :p

Ghazi
04-15-2006, 12:13 PM
Salaam

Hey Homer, Well muslims could say the same thing about your disbelief

afriend
04-15-2006, 05:18 PM
super girl stories
LOL!!

Why the heck do we need these stupid didactic fairy tales to tell us not to disrespect the Quran? Surely, we should treat it as the sacred text that it is because we are raised to respect it.
True enough...

I believe that this is just some made up stuff.......Misunderstandings of the people, which probably started off by the help of EXAGGERATION.

:)

Mainul_Islam
04-15-2006, 11:38 PM
and your point is...??

stories such as those may be true or false, there's no evidence. but Islam does not rely on those kinds of stories to prove to be the right religion. :)

extinction
04-15-2006, 11:42 PM
well homer ok I liked how you said people are gullible cause its true BUT i disagree with how you said kicking the quraan and all that theres no need for that i know you are trying to make a point but still its a bit offensive

Malsidabym
04-16-2006, 02:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth
Salaam

Hey Homer, Well muslims could say the same thing about your disbelief
Say what thing?

Mainul_Islam,
and your point is...??

stories such as those may be true or false, there's no evidence. but Islam does not rely on those kinds of stories to prove to be the right religion.
You really believe it may be true someone turned a lizard?

hafizmo,
well homer ok I liked how you said people are gullible cause its true BUT i disagree with how you said kicking the quraan and all that theres no need for that i know you are trying to make a point but still its a bit offensive
If you expect to be offended, it is likely you will be. It is all in your own attitude. Most misunderstandings occur because the person who misunderstands expects the person speaking to say what they are thinking.
We have two good examples of that.
First, we have cool_jannah who mistakenly expects that I am saying something against the Quran, and threatens to kick me in the face. Which of course is silly, because this is the internet. If we were in person I would need to slap the taste out of his mouth, but it is only the internet, and matters not.
Second, we have Muezzin, who does not carry this burden of paranoia and is very reasonable. He does not expect the worse, and therefore is not insulted, as it should be. Muezzin, as a result has less arguements and gets along better with others, and in general is more pleasant to deal with than many.

Malsidabym
04-16-2006, 04:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Safa
Greetings,

Peace.
You are right by the way, to me it is not a big deal. But out of respect I would still not do this.

extinction
04-16-2006, 04:48 AM

hafizmo,
If you expect to be offended, it is likely you will be. It is all in your own attitude. Most misunderstandings occur because the person who misunderstands expects the person speaking to say what they are thinking.
We have two good examples of that.
First, we have cool_jannah who mistakenly expects that I am saying something against the Quran, and threatens to kick me in the face. Which of course is silly, because this is the internet. If we were in person I would need to slap the taste out of his mouth, but it is only the internet, and matters not.
Second, we have Muezzin, who does not carry this burden of paranoia and is very reasonable. He does not expect the worse, and therefore is not insulted, as it should be. Muezzin, as a result has less arguements and gets along better with others, and in general is more pleasant to deal with than many.
which category do I fall in?

Malsidabym
04-16-2006, 04:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by hafizmo
which category do I fall in?
That is entirely your choice. I personally would hope you choose to walk with Muezzin.

extinction
04-16-2006, 04:56 AM
That is entirely your choice. I personally would hope you choose to walk with Muezzin.
Well as I think tupac once said "only God can judge me" but the reason why I asked you of your opinion is I would like an outsiders' view or perspective because some muslims unfortunately are very harsh and think they are doing the right thing when indeed our prophet when propogating was very kind ...I can see how that attitude is a very big deterrent.but I think their mentality is basically 'the best offence is defence' you say something against islam they will start defending it no matter what simply because you said it..am I making any sense? its awfully late so I might start slurring ...

Malsidabym
04-16-2006, 05:03 AM
Well as I think tupac once said "only God can judge me" but the reason why I asked you of your opinion is I would like an outsiders' view or perspective because some muslims unfortunately are very harsh and think they are doing the right thing when indeed our prophet when propogating was very kind ...I can see how that attitude is a very big deterrent.but I think their mentality is basically 'the best offence is defence' you say something against islam they will start defending it no matter what simply because you said it..am I making any sense? its awfully late so I might start slurring ...
Yes, I understand you. The problem is, some muslims are so quick to go on the defensive that it hampers any real dialogue. Some are too sensitive, and take offense when no offense was intended. Often(not always) these same people are quite offensive and callous themselves, and so invite the comments that they are expecting to here. In a nutshell, they cause someone to say something they might not normally say, and then say "see! you are against Islam!". It is really frustrating to deal with such paranoid people.

extinction
04-16-2006, 05:07 AM
Yes, I understand you. The problem is, some muslims are so quick to go on the defensive that it hampers any real dialogue. Some are too sensitive, and take offense when no offense was intended. Often(not always) these same people are quite offensive and callous themselves, and so invite the comments that they are expecting to here. In a nutshell, they cause someone to say something they might not normally say, and then say "see! you are against Islam!". It is really frustrating to deal with such paranoid people.
Ok I see exactly where you are coming from? But I would like to ask you an honest question..what is your real purpose on visiting this site..is it that you have a genuine interest in religion in general or specifically Islam? or are you here to basically 'show the other side of the coin?' or to argue your beliefs whatever they may be? I'm not attacking you I'm really interested to know......

Malsidabym
04-16-2006, 05:11 AM
Ok I see exactly where you are coming from? But I would like to ask you an honest question..what is your real purpose on visiting this site..is it that you have a genuine interest in religion in general or specifically Islam? or are you here to basically 'show the other side of the coin?' or to argue your beliefs whatever they may be? I'm not attacking you I'm really interested to know......
A little bit of all the things you mentioned.

Sister_6038
04-16-2006, 10:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
:sl:

Lol, someone told my business teacher about one of these "events". He said: "bring me a Quran and i'll kick it all over the place - nothing will happen to me".
what do people get out of doing these things?..

Sunflower
04-16-2006, 10:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hatshepsut
what do people get out of doing these things?..
dunno sis. :heated:
it should be obvious that the quraan is scared to us and these 'stories' shouldnt b used for us to be told..

Sister_6038
04-16-2006, 10:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah 4eva
dunno sis. :heated:
it should be obvious that the quraan is scared to us and these 'stories' shouldnt b used for us to be told..
i think that really its sheer ignorance with a lot of people...i mean i think its important to know that theres behaviour like this which should be dealt with...by spreading dawah :D:D:D:D a sheikh once said to myself and others at a talk...to gift others with islam...:D:D i think it is the most precious gift anyone could give :D:D

Sunflower
04-16-2006, 10:42 AM
tru

IbnAbdulHakim
04-16-2006, 11:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab

Lol, someone told my business teacher about one of these "events". He said: "bring me a Quran and i'll kick it all over the place - nothing will happen to me". I cracked the hell up. Some people are so gullible. Look it's written all over the ceiling.
:coolalien I really hope u did sumthin real bad to that teacher :anger:

Muezzin
04-16-2006, 04:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abd'Majid
:coolalien I really hope u did sumthin real bad to that teacher :anger:
Why? :) He didn't do anything. He just said something. Remember that hadith about the weird new Muslim who came into the mosque and started urinating in the corner? The Prophet (saw) didn't attack the guy, or get angry. He let him finish. I mean, if everyone started chasing the guy, the whole masjid would be polluted. When the guy was done, the Prophet (saw) calmly walked over to him and softly explained that the mosque is a pure place, where such actions as urinating should not be performed.

I'm a firm believer that the best type of Da'wa is not aggressive, but instead gentle and understanding. If we Muslims are the best and most peaceful nation, perhaps we should act like it. :)

*charisma*
04-16-2006, 04:40 PM
Assalamu alaikum

format_quote Originally Posted by stupid rep system
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Muezzin again.
barak allah feek for that post mashallah

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

Malsidabym
04-17-2006, 01:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by stupid rep system

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Muezzin again.
I have the same problem with the rep system.

Muezzin is an excellent example that many others could learn from.

Muezzin
04-17-2006, 02:07 PM
Aw, shucks.:-[

The Prophet (Peace be upon him) was the best example ever :brother:

Malsidabym
04-17-2006, 07:17 PM
I think Muezzin would make a good administrator. I can think of at least one that I would like replaced.

Muslim Soldier
04-17-2006, 07:20 PM
I think Muezzin would make a good administrator. I can think of at least one that I would like replaced.
why do you say so?

Malsidabym
04-17-2006, 07:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Soldier
why do you say so?
because Muezzin is a fine example of what a mulim and human being should be. He would be an excellent choice and would behave with integrity.

Muslim Soldier
04-17-2006, 07:25 PM
then he should be a moderator coz the admin is concerned with the outlook of the site and all

Malsidabym
04-17-2006, 07:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Soldier
then he should be a moderator coz the admin is concerned with the outlook of the site and all
I don't know what you mean. Could you please elaborate?

BlissfullyJaded
04-17-2006, 07:30 PM

Please do not go off topic... Thanks. :)

Perfectly stated brother Muezzin. :thumbs_up Jazakallah khair.

gbrl
04-18-2006, 10:13 AM
Ppl being turned into animals as punishment was prophesised by the Messenger.

Narrated Abu 'Amir or Abu Malik Al-Ash'ari:

that he heard the Prophet saying, "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of musical instruments, as lawful. And there will be some people who will stay near the side of a mountain and in the evening their shepherd will come to them with their sheep and ask them for something, but they will say to him, 'Return to us tomorrow.' Allah will destroy them during the night and will let the mountain fall on them, and He will transform the rest of them into monkeys and pigs and they will remain so till the Day of Resurrection."

Though this particular lizard case may be false i believe we shouldn't dismiss everything as a hoax or believe in everything immediatly without verifying it.

If a liar (fasiq) comes to you with any news, verify it, lest you smite some people in ignorance and afterwards repent of what you did.” (Al-hujurat 49:6)

There are other cases of rocks and trees speaking, a beast coming out of the earth etc. etc in islamic eschatology which are not easily explained by today's science. Muslims believe in an All-Powerful God and the possiblity of miracles and fantastic feats combined with a love for an stigmatised and oppressed religion make some ppl believe in such stories too quickly without verification.

IbnAbdulHakim
04-18-2006, 06:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by gbrl
Ppl being turned into animals as punishment was prophesised by the Messenger.

Narrated Abu 'Amir or Abu Malik Al-Ash'ari:

that he heard the Prophet saying, "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of musical instruments, as lawful. And there will be some people who will stay near the side of a mountain and in the evening their shepherd will come to them with their sheep and ask them for something, but they will say to him, 'Return to us tomorrow.' Allah will destroy them during the night and will let the mountain fall on them, and He will transform the rest of them into monkeys and pigs and they will remain so till the Day of Resurrection."

Though this particular lizard case may be false i believe we shouldn't dismiss everything as a hoax or believe in everything immediatly without verifying it.

If a liar (fasiq) comes to you with any news, verify it, lest you smite some people in ignorance and afterwards repent of what you did.” (Al-hujurat 49:6)

There are other cases of rocks and trees speaking, a beast coming out of the earth etc. etc in islamic eschatology which are not easily explained by today's science. Muslims believe in an All-Powerful God and the possiblity of miracles and fantastic feats combined with a love for an stigmatised and oppressed religion make some ppl believe in such stories too quickly without verification.
WHOAH!!!! mayb that girl really did turn into a fish :? whoah....

x Maz x
04-19-2006, 11:57 AM
Okey aggreed to an extent with the original comment...persoanlly in my humble opnion i beleive miracles ARE possible as backed up by various hadith and Quranic ayahs HOWEVER some of the video clips and images shown about the fish girl or whatever looks like something out of star wars ...i dont know final comment...ALLAH KNOWS BEST :) WalaykumAsalaam x

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.