/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A Barrier To Paradise

madeenahsh
04-15-2006, 08:11 PM
Pride: A Barrier To Paradise

By al-’Allaamah ’Abdur-Rahmaan Ibn Naasir as-Sa’dee (d.1376H) [1]

From ’Abdullaah Ibn Mas’ood who related that the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) said: ‘‘Whoever has an atoms worth of kibr (pride) in his heart will not enter Paradise." So a man asked: 'What about a person who loves (i.e. takes pride in) wearing beautiful clothes and beautiful shoes? So he replied: ‘‘Indeed Allaah is beautiful and loves beauty. Kibr (pride) is to reject the truth, and to despise the people.’’ [2]

So Allaah - the Most High - informs us that the Hellfire is the abode of those who have kibr (pride and arrogance). And we learn from the (above) hadeeth that: ‘‘Whoever has an atoms worth of kibr (pride) in his heart will not enter Paradise.’’ So this is a proof that kibr (pride) necessitates entry to Hellfire and prevents entry into Paradise. And this comprehensive explanation that the Prophet mentioned has clarified the meaning of kibr (pride) in the clearest possible manner. So he divided kibr into two types:

[1] PRIDE AGAINST THE TRUTH:

This is to reject the truth and not to accept it. So anyone who rejects the truth is proud and arrogant – in accordance with what he rejects of the truth. So it is obligatory upon everyone to humble themselves to the truth which Allaah sent His Messenger with, and which He sent down in His Book. As for those whose pride and arrogance prevents them from totally complying with the Messengers (i.e. having eemaan or faith in them and their message) - then they are kuffaar (unbelievers) who will dwell in the Hellfire for eternity. Since when the Truth comes to them via the Messengers, who explain to them the signs and clear proofs, they reject it and are prevented from accepting it, due to the kibr that they harbour in their hearts. Allaah - the Most High - said:

‘‘Indeed those who argue about the Signs of Allaah without any authority having come to them, there is nothing in their hearts except kibr (pride). They will never accept the Prophet Muhammad as a Prophet.’’ [Sooratul-Ghaafir 40:56]

As for those whose arrogance and pride prevent them from complying with parts of the truth - because it opposes their personal opinions of their whims and desires – then such people are not kuffaar (unbelievers), but such an action necessitates them being punished in accordance with what they have of kibr. This is why the Scholars have agreed that whenever the Sunnah (guidance and way) of the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) has been explained to anyone, then it is not lawful for him to turn away from it to the saying of someone else, whoever and whatever status he may have.

So it is obligatory upon the seeker of knowledge to give complete and absolute precedence to the saying of Allaah and the saying of His Messenger over and above the saying of anyone else, and that he should make the basis to which he returns, and the foundation upon which he builds: following the guidance of the Prophet, striving hard to understand what is intended from it, and following this both inwardly and outwardly. When a person conforms

to this great principal, then he has indeed reached goodness and excellence and all his errors will be forgiven to him; since his overall objective is to follow that which has been prescribed upon him. So his errors are excused due to his striving his best to recognize and comply with the truth - and this is humbling oneself to the truth.

[2] PRIDE TOWARDS PEOPLE:

This type is to despite the people and to look down upon them. This attitude arises when a person is amazed with his own self, thinks highly of himself, and thinks he is better than others. So this causes him to have kibr towards the creation despise them, mock them, and to degrade them through both speech and action. The Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) said: ‘‘It is enough evil for a person to despise his Muslim brother.’’ [3]

This is why the man asked: "What about a person who loves (i.e. takes pride in) wearing good clothes and shoes?" Because he feared that this was the kibr which would be under the treat of punishment. So the Prophet explained to him that this was not from kibr, since this person was one who complied with the truth, and was humble towards people, and that this was from the truth, and from the beauty that Allaah loves, for indeed Allaah – the Most High - is beautiful in His Dhaat (Self), Sifaat (Attributes) and Af’aal (Actions), and He loves both outer and inner beauty.

As regards outer beauty, then it includes cleanliness of the body, clothes and place. As regards to inner beauty, then it is beautifying the character. This is why the Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) used to supplicate: ‘‘O Allaah! Guide me to having beautiful manners and characteristics, no one can guide me to beautifying them except You. And turn away from me all evil actions and characteristics, no one can turn them away from me except You.’’ [4]

Footnotes:

[1] Bahjatul-Quloobul- Abraar (pp. 156-158)

[2] Related by Muslim in his Saheeh (1/65)

[3] Related by Muslim (no. 2564)

[4] Saheeh: Related by an-Nisaa‘ee (no. 861). It was authenticated by Shaykh Muhammad Naasirud-Deen al-Albaanee in his Sifatus-Salaah (p. 93

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Starseeker
04-15-2006, 08:41 PM
Thx for sharing that with us.

hidaayah
04-16-2006, 06:48 AM
:sl:
Mashallah..!! jazakallah khairun..:)

life
04-16-2006, 11:56 AM
A beautiful sharing thanks

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ummAbdillah
04-16-2006, 02:29 PM
jazak allah khair
may allah grant us all paradise
ameen

Khayal
06-04-2008, 05:03 AM

‘‘O Allaah! Guide me to having beautiful manners and characteristics, no one can guide me to beautifying them except You. And turn away from me all evil actions and characteristics, no one can turn them away from me except You.’’ [4]

InshaAllaah & Aameen!

JazaakAllaah khayr.

:w:

Khayal
10-13-2008, 02:03 AM

*bump*

doorster
01-06-2009, 01:32 PM
perhaps one day someone will teach us the difference between pride and arrogance

Woodrow
01-06-2009, 02:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
perhaps one day someone will teach us the difference between pride and arrogance

I think it can be said each is a symptom of the other.

Arrogance is a symptom of pride and pride is a symptom of arrogance. You can not have one without the other.

But, often the arrogant will deny having pride.

In English there is more than one type of pride. I believe what has been said in the opening post can best be described as being false pride.

There is another pride which is actually a good attribute. It is when pride is meant to be the opposite of shame. In other words, I am proud to be a Muslim.That pride meaning I will openly display I am Muslim and do so with pride. Meaning, I have no shame or fear of anyone knowing I am Muslim and desire for all people to see me as Muslim.

I would feel shame and humiliation if my actions or appearances lead people to believe I was not Muslim. The opposite of pride in that sense.

AhlaamBella
01-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Very well explained bro woodrow :thumbs_up

You can be proud to be a muslim without being arrogant about it.

doorster
01-06-2009, 03:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by RoseGold
Very well explained bro woodrow :thumbs_up

You can be proud to be a Muslim without being arrogant about it.
I am hoping that due to Br. Woodrow's post, word "proud" will stop being a swear-word or a term of abuse which it is ATM because of limited knowledge of languages among Muslim scholars (most of whom cannot speak English to save their life let alone be able to translate Muslim texts in to it)

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
...pride which is actually a good attribute. It is when pride is meant to be the opposite of shame. In other words, I am proud to be a Muslim.That pride meaning I will openly display I am Muslim and do so with pride. Meaning, I have no shame or fear of anyone knowing I am Muslim and desire for all people to see me as Muslim.
Bravo! jazakAllah khair!!!

:w:

noorseeker
01-06-2009, 03:43 PM
JazalAllah khayran

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.