/* */

PDA

View Full Version : African-American male in the states.

Dee-Logic
04-16-2006, 12:14 PM
Hi, my name is De' Ondre(Dee) im a 23 year old african-american male heavly involved in music, art, photography & web design. I don't belong to any religious status at the moment although I come from a christian background.....right now im just in the dark about who I am and what is expected of me, just kinda feel like a unguided soul in a world of commotion.

Well since im here I was interested in reading the Quran and applying it to my life and modern day life, any helpful links?

peace

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
F.Y.
04-16-2006, 12:23 PM
Hi bro! Nice to see you here.Please ask questions, we love it.

www.beconvinced.com is a great site
http://is.aswatalislam.net/DisplayFi...=Khalid_Yaseen (This is where you can listen to a talk by a guy called Khalid Yasin - he is of African American background too and an awesome speaker - really worthwhile.)
http://www.aswatalislam.net/DisplayF...verts_to_Islam (Expereinces of people who became Muslim)

Peace to you, always :)

snowdropjasmine
04-16-2006, 12:43 PM
[S]welcome [/S]

ummAbdillah
04-16-2006, 12:46 PM
salaam (peace)
welcome to the forum :)
i hope you enjoy your stay here! it's a very friendly Forum :D
take care
ma salaam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
F.Y.
04-16-2006, 12:55 PM
Hey brother, I shoud've told you before, but it only occurred to me now. Maybe you could also visit your local Islamic centre or mosque? I am sure they would love to help you out.

Peace :)

al-fateh
04-16-2006, 01:34 PM
welcome to the site bro :)

The Ruler
04-16-2006, 01:37 PM
Hiya Dee...:giggling:

:welcome: to de forum.....enjoy ru stay!! :) :)

:peace:

afriend
04-16-2006, 02:53 PM
:sl:

Welcome to the forum!

I hope you will find the truth and be guided into the light of Islam....

If you have any questions....Please let us know.

mortazaB
04-16-2006, 03:07 PM
Welcome

------
04-16-2006, 03:10 PM
:welcome: to the forums!!!

Any questions...? Feel free to ask!

Dee-Logic
04-16-2006, 09:35 PM
Happy to be here, thanks for the welcome and the links. :happy:

Islamicboy
04-16-2006, 09:43 PM
Salamalikum
Welcome
I would like to bring up an interesting point i have heard African people once were muslims. But there identity was destoryed over the years by the american slave trade.

Sister_6038
04-16-2006, 09:44 PM
assalaamu alaikum wr wb bro

welcome to the forum :D:D:D

akulion
04-16-2006, 09:44 PM
welcome to the forums

I pray you find the answers you seek here ameen

F.Y.
04-17-2006, 02:26 AM
www.islamalways.com is a great site too. It has many videos on it, by a guy called Yusuf Estes. He was a Priest, but became a muslim a while back.

Hope that helps :)

hidaayah
04-17-2006, 02:32 AM
welcum here! hope u have a beneficial stay..

*noor
04-17-2006, 02:38 AM
Hi
I hope that these sites are helpful.
If u need more, just ask. Its no problem.

www.discoverislam.com
www.islamalways.com

Farhiya
04-17-2006, 02:48 AM

your Interest in Islam is a good way to find what you are looking for, may Allah (SWT) Guide u in the right path that’s towards him…as for links check these one's out. Good Luck

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/

http://english.islamway.com/

:w:

Sanobar
04-17-2006, 02:53 AM
hey!
welcome to the forums bro...

peace

Dee-Logic
04-17-2006, 03:02 AM
wow there are some great links in this thread, I highly appreciate the info....there are some things explained that I naturally believed, but never had an explaination to.

Its kind of tough for me to understand some of the scriptures as of now because im still trying to get a better understanding of Islam, but the Islam Radio site(aswatalislam.net) is really helping me get started.

I almost feel like he was answering every single question that I have been asking myself over and over again for years. :)

Hashim_507
04-17-2006, 03:15 AM
Welcome I hope you enjoy here and get plenty of knowledge about Islam. But i advise you to vist local mosque in your area and talk to imam, he will provide you plenty of information about islam. Are you comfortable visiting mosque and talking to imam?

E'jaazi
04-17-2006, 03:18 AM
Welcome! You may find these helpful:

www.troid.org

www.muttaqun.com

www.salafipublications.com

www.bakkah.net

www.islam-qa.com

Dee-Logic
04-17-2006, 03:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hashim_507
Welcome I hope you enjoy here and get plenty of knowledge about Islam. But i advise you to vist local mosque in your area and talk to imam, he will provide you plenty of information about islam. Are you comfortable visiting mosque and talking to imam?

Actually I want to seek more info but as of now im not really comfortable, I find it easier to read and listen. I find it strange that as a child growing up I knew very little of Muslums & Islam and the bit I did know was negative, but now as I actually research I find it VERY overwhelming....the logic behind it alone is enough to keep me seeking. The more I read/hear the more relieved I feel.....

I want to thank you all again for the great amounts of information you have posted here for me to understand. :happy:

F.Y.
04-17-2006, 03:52 AM
Awwww, thats great bro. I'm glad you like the talks by Khalid Yasin. He's a legend aint he? Enjoy your learning experience. I know I love learning more about Islam.

Peace always :)

Malsidabym
04-17-2006, 03:55 AM
Hi Dee-Logic,
[BANANA]Welcome to the forum![/BANANA] If you are seriously thinking about becoming muslim, and learning what it is really like to be muslim, then you are in the right place. I noticed you listed some of your skills and interests in your first post. First thing, you are going to have to give up music. It is haraam. Also, photography and art are ok, just no pictures of people or animals. I hope this helps a little. Once again, welcome to the forum.

*charisma*
04-17-2006, 04:06 AM
Greetings,

wow am i late :p

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

if you have ANY questions about Islam or answers that you couldn't find in your past experiences with other religions but are searching them in Islam be sure to ask Inshallah (god willing).

The music thing, if you're addicted its best not to continue with it being that addictions are hard to overcome so the sooner you try to discontinue them the better :)

May you be guided ameen!

peace

Malsidabym
04-17-2006, 04:25 AM
Dee, do you have a lot of instruments that you are going to have to get rid of to quit your addiction to music? It might be wrong to sell them as you would be benefitting from something that is haraam. I don't know if you have to destroy them, or if it is ok to give them away. Best to check with someone that knows better.

Dee-Logic
04-17-2006, 06:06 AM
I currently just have turntables i've been a DJ for about 5 years, so is all music a haraam even if it has no lyrics?

Malsidabym
04-17-2006, 06:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dee-Logic
I currently just have turntables i've been a DJ for about 5 years, so is all music a haraam even if it has no lyrics?
Especially if it has no lyrics! That means it only has instruments. Instruments are not allowed.

F.Y.
04-17-2006, 06:12 AM
Hi Dee!
Ummm, well, I don't think I'm all that knowledgeable to beable to discuss this issue with you.
But I can give you some links? Check out "czgibson's" post in this link too. I do hope it helps. Please tell us if you need more clarification.
http://www.islamicboard.com/basics-i...ighlight=music

Peace

Dee-Logic
04-17-2006, 08:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by F.Y.
Hi Dee!
Ummm, well, I don't think I'm all that knowledgeable to beable to discuss this issue with you.
But I can give you some links? Check out "czgibson's" post in this link too. I do hope it helps. Please tell us if you need more clarification.
http://www.islamicboard.com/basics-i...ighlight=music

Peace

thanks,that was very interesting....i can kind of relate to WHY music can be a haraam....cause if you live out here in the US mainstream music controls the minds of A LOT of people whether they realize it or not. People get caught up in a false vision of the words that people are saying.

I most listen to drum beats & spoken word......where in the Qu'ran can I read this?

F.Y.
04-17-2006, 08:52 AM
1.--Allah says in the Qur'an, (what translated means), "And of mankind he who purchases idle talks to mislead (people) from the Path of Allah without knowledge, and takes it (the Path of Allah) by way of mockery, For such there will be a humiliating torment. [3 1:6].
Al-Wahidi, along with other scholars of Tafsir (explaining the Quran), said that "Idle Talk" in this verse ('ayah') is singing. The following companions gave this Tafsir: Ibn Abbas, Ibn Masud, Mujahid and Ikrimah. Ibn Masud said, "By Allah, whom there is no God except Him, idle talk is singing."
2 -- The Prophet said, what translated means, "From among my nation, there will be people who will render as lawful adultery, weaving silk (for men), Al-Khamr (liquor) and AlMaa'azif (musical instruments)." [Al-Bukhari].

This Hadith states that musical instruments are Haram, and there is no disagreement among the scholars on this. In his book, Ighathat Al-Lahfan, Ibn Al-Qayyim said, "When the Prophet said, 'render as lawful,' he meant that it was unlawful, then the people made it lawful."

There is a difference of opinion amongst scholars. The voice is the main 'medium' - music comes second. I am sure you have heard the melody used to give the call to prayer and during recitation of the Qur'an. Instruments are unlawful, but some say it is unlawful to use drums too - some say drums are ok because when there was a wedding at the time of the Prophet, someone would sound out a drum in the area. There are a number of Islamic 'songs' you can take a listen to if you want. Do you know Cat Stevens? The 70's popstar who became a muslim? Well, he uses his voice to sing about Allah and Islamic faith now - doesnt really use instruments except for a drum sometimes. Also there is a guy who is Canadian - he became muslim a while back and he's very famous in the muslim world for his 'songs' ('An-nasheed'). http://www.load-islam.com/C/Media/Dawud_Wharnsby_Ali/ listen to his nasheed here.

Some other nasheed artists are here - take a peek. http://www.load-islam.com/Media/

Im sorry if I have been too vague.
Peace

sapphire
04-17-2006, 10:00 AM
:welcome: to the forums !

enjoy posting !

Dee-Logic
04-17-2006, 04:56 PM
1.--Allah says in the Qur'an, (what translated means), "And of mankind he who purchases idle talks to mislead (people) from the Path of Allah without knowledge, and takes it (the Path of Allah) by way of mockery, For such there will be a humiliating torment. [3 1:6].
Al-Wahidi, along with other scholars of Tafsir (explaining the Quran), said that "Idle Talk" in this verse ('ayah') is singing. The following companions gave this Tafsir: Ibn Abbas, Ibn Masud, Mujahid and Ikrimah. Ibn Masud said, "By Allah, whom there is no God except Him, idle talk is singing."
2 -- The Prophet said, what translated means, "From among my nation, there will be people who will render as lawful adultery, weaving silk (for men), Al-Khamr (liquor) and AlMaa'azif (musical instruments)." [Al-Bukhari].

This Hadith states that musical instruments are Haram, and there is no disagreement among the scholars on this. In his book, Ighathat Al-Lahfan, Ibn Al-Qayyim said, "When the Prophet said, 'render as lawful,' he meant that it was unlawful, then the people made it lawful."

There is a difference of opinion amongst scholars. The voice is the main 'medium' - music comes second. I am sure you have heard the melody used to give the call to prayer and during recitation of the Qur'an. Instruments are unlawful, but some say it is unlawful to use drums too - some say drums are ok because when there was a wedding at the time of the Prophet, someone would sound out a drum in the area. There are a number of Islamic 'songs' you can take a listen to if you want. Do you know Cat Stevens? The 70's popstar who became a muslim? Well, he uses his voice to sing about Allah and Islamic faith now - doesnt really use instruments except for a drum sometimes. Also there is a guy who is Canadian - he became muslim a while back and he's very famous in the muslim world for his 'songs' ('An-nasheed'). http://www.load-islam.com/C/Media/Dawud_Wharnsby_Ali/ listen to his nasheed here.

Some other nasheed artists are here - take a peek. http://www.load-islam.com/Media/

Im sorry if I have been too vague.
Peace

ahh thanks again, yesterday I seems hard for me to even think of giving up music. With the new day it seems easier and I think im going to start by getting rid of all my records, but my question is as mention above....is it a haraam if I profit off selling them? instinctively i think so but i just want to be sure. :thankyou:

Ghazi
04-17-2006, 04:59 PM
ahh thanks again, yesterday I seems hard for me to even think of giving up music. With the new day it seems easier and I think im going to start by getting rid of all my records, but my question is as mention above....is it a haraam if I profit off selling them? instinctively i think so but i just want to be sure. :thankyou:

Yes it is, your inviting others to sin by selling your records.

Dee-Logic
04-17-2006, 11:33 PM
Insha'Allah will I will forbid myself from this haraam.....also my brothers and sisters, I have a lot going on spirtually that i am unable to explain nor am I able to sleep. Insha'Allah can someone guide into the right direction?

Khattab
04-17-2006, 11:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malsidabym
Hi Dee-Logic,
[BANANA]Welcome to the forum![/BANANA] If you are seriously thinking about becoming muslim, and learning what it is really like to be muslim, then you are in the right place. I noticed you listed some of your skills and interests in your first post. First thing, you are going to have to give up music. It is haraam. Also, photography and art are ok, just no pictures of people or animals. I hope this helps a little. Once again, welcome to the forum.
No thats not the first thing, the first thing if he decides to become muslim is declare the Shahadah (Declaration of Faith) everything else at this stage is irrelavant and will come in time. That is the most important thing above anything.

Dee-Logic
04-17-2006, 11:51 PM
Masha Allah sorry brother, but for some reason i cannot bring myself to say.

Khattab
04-17-2006, 11:54 PM
Hi Dee-Logic,

Welcome to the forum:happy: Like I said above you shouldnt concern yourslef with the issue of music at this stage the first thing is to look at the basics of Islam ie the belief in One God (who has no partners), the Prophethood of Muhammad (peace be upon him), acceptance of the Holy Qur'an as the word of God and his last and final scripture. If you accept all this then comes, declaring your faith, implementing the salat (prayer), the zakat (obligatory charity) etc. So you see its a lot to take in, thats why things need to happen step by step, so the main issues should be sorted out forst before coming on to other lighter issues.

Anyway I hope your research in Islam helps you too find the truth and if you have any questions then we will try our best on the forum to help you out.

Peace:)

Dee-Logic
04-17-2006, 11:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Khattab
Hi Dee-Logic,

Welcome to the forum:happy: Like I said above you shouldnt concern yourslef with the issue of music at this stage the first thing is to look at the basics of Islam ie the belief in One God (who has no partners), the Prophethood of Muhammad (peace be upon him), acceptance of the Holy Qur'an as the word of God and his last and final scripture. If you accept all this then comes, declaring your faith, implementing the salat (prayer), the zakat (obligatory charity) etc. So you see its a lot to take in, thats why things need to happen step by step, so the main issues should be sorted out forst before coming on to other lighter issues.

Anyway I hope your research in Islam helps you too find the truth and if you have any questions then we will try our best on the forum to help you out.

Peace:)
Yes I understand, Insha'Allah i will do my best.

Khattab
04-17-2006, 11:58 PM
Masha Allah sorry brother, but for some reason i cannot bring myself to say.
Just take your time, learn and read from reliable sources, no one is pushing you into anything as we say it is Allah (SWT) who guides and opens the heart, but we are here if any questions are needing answering inshallah God Almighty will guide you to the truth.

F.Y.
04-17-2006, 11:59 PM
Salam bro! :)

I hope we can assist you to say the shahada. Sit by yourself and think to yourself - 'what do you think is important?' You already beleive in Allah and his messengers, right? All you have to do now is declare your belief. We can't force you to say it of course. Take your time to think.

Do you want to watch someone say it? www.watchislam.com then click on the drop down menu that says 'video list' and find the video that says "Woman accepts Islam" - maybe you can see how the Shaikh helps her and if you want, you can repeat after him too. Insha'Allah.

Peace to you dear brother. Forgive me if I offended you in any way.

Khattab
04-18-2006, 12:09 AM
Also Dee-Logic can I recommend the book 'Muhammad: His life Based on the Earliest Sources' by Martin Lings. Its a very insightful book, easy to read and probably the best biography of the Prophet (SAW) in the english language.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/089...lance&n=283155

Dee-Logic
04-18-2006, 12:25 AM
Salam bro! :)

I hope we can assist you to say the shahada. Sit by yourself and think to yourself - 'what do you think is important?' You already beleive in Allah and his messengers, right? All you have to do now is declare your belief. We can't force you to say it of course. Take your time to think.

Do you want to watch someone say it? www.watchislam.com then click on the drop down menu that says 'video list' and find the video that says "Woman accepts Islam" - maybe you can see how the Shaikh helps her and if you want, you can repeat after him too. Insha'Allah.

Peace to you dear brother. Forgive me if I offended you in any way.
Wow, As salamu aleiykum thank you for that link it has helped me to understand! Insha'Allah I will continue to find the truth to become a good Muslum. :thankyou:

F.Y.
04-18-2006, 05:05 AM
Wow, As salamu aleiykum thank you for that link it has helped me to understand! Insha'Allah I will continue to find the truth to become a good Muslum. :thankyou:
No worries at all. If you need more help, please ask. I personally can't guarantee that I can answer in complete detail all your questions - but I can try, and there are many other knowledgeable and helpful people here that I'm sure will only be too happy to help.

I found a good site where you listen to more talks - http://english.islamway.com/sindex.php?section=scholars.
Hope that helps
Peace :)

sadieadel
04-18-2006, 05:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Islamicboy
Salamalikum
Welcome
I would like to bring up an interesting point i have heard African people once were muslims. But there identity was destoryed over the years by the american slave trade.
This is true of some of the slave brought to America.

Dee-Logic
04-18-2006, 11:23 AM
I now know, but what am I to do? wait?

Dee-Logic
04-18-2006, 11:24 AM
:X hehe

F.Y.
04-18-2006, 11:30 AM
sorry, i misunderstand you. Can you explain what you mean by "What am i to do?"

Thanks, Peace

Dee-Logic
04-18-2006, 11:33 AM
can someone please remove this thread. Insha'Allah

afriend2
04-18-2006, 01:38 PM
salaam,

welcome to LI, inshAllah have a great time here :)

wassalam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.