/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Democrats Join Calls for Rumsfeld Resignation

al-fateh
04-17-2006, 02:10 PM
Democrats Join Calls for Rumsfeld Resignation

"My view is that the secretary should step aside," said Governor Richardson.

WASHINGTON, April 16, 2006 (IslamOnline.net & News Agencies) – Senior US Democrats joined on Sunday, April 16, a mounting campaign championed by a cohort of retired generals for embattled Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld to resign over mishandling the Iraqi war.

"My view is that the secretary should step aside," New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson, a potential Democratic presidential candidate, told CBS's "Face the Nation" program, reported Reuters.

"Besides the fact that the Iraq war has been mismanaged ... we should listen to what these generals are saying."

The battle of words over Rumsfeld, his relations with military leaders and the Iraq war followed unusual public calls in the past week for his resignation from six retired generals.

"These are six distinguished military officers," Richardson said. "They basically are saying that Secretary Rumsfeld, on issues relating to military strategy ... didn't listen to them."

The generals include Maj. Gen. John Batiste, who commanded the 1st Infantry Division in Iraq, and Maj. Gen. Charles Swannack, who led the Army's 82nd Airborne Division in Iraq, and former NATO commander Gen. Wesley Clark.

General Anthony Zinni, the former chairman of the US Central Command, asserted on Sunday, April 3, that several top administration officials, chiefly Rumsfeld, must loose their jobs over disastrous and strategic mistakes in Iraq.

Rumsfeld has seen his ratings in freefall over the past three years mainly due to his policies in the Arab country, including failure to provide sufficient Interceptor Body Armors (IBAs) for his troops in Iraq.

In the wake of the Abu Gharaib abuse scandal, American press reports said interrogation tactics amounting to torture were okayed by senior Pentagon officials, including Rumsfeld himself.

Scapegoat

"A lot of this focus on an individual is a way of maybe criticizing the president," said

Sen. Christopher Dodd, a Connecticut Democrat, said the critical comments from the retired generals could be considered a reflection of current senior officers not permitted to criticize Rumsfeld or Bush.

"We need a new direction in Iraq," he said.

"We're looking at some incompetency in addition to the arrogance issues that have been raised."

He recalled Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice's admission that "thousands" of tactical mistakes had been made with regard to Iraq.

Republican Sen. George Allen told "Face the Nation" program the criticism of Rumsfeld amounted to "scapegoating" and that firing him would not resolve the Iraq situation.

"What difference would that make?" he asked. "Would that mean anything to the terrorists? A lot of this focus on an individual is a way of maybe criticizing the president."

US President George W. Bush's approval ratings in polls have plummeted lower than for any American leader in recent history.

A recent Zogby International poll showed that 51 percent of Americans agreed that Bush should be impeached if he lied about Iraq, a far greater percentage than believed Clinton should be impeached.

Pentagon Memo

The Pentagon had issued a memo to civilian military analysts and former top military commanders, some of whom appear often on television, to challenge criticism Rumsfeld was deaf to the views of military leaders.

"US senior military leaders are involved to an unprecedented degree in every decision-making process," it said, noting Rumsfeld had held 139 meetings with the Joint Chiefs of Staff since 2005.

Kentucky Republican Sen. Mitch McConnell, speaking on "Fox News Sunday," said the United States had "wiped out a lot of the people who would do us harm" during Rumsfeld's tenure.

"I think the important thing to remember here is that we haven't been attacked again at home since September of 2001," he said.

Former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Richard Myers criticized Sunday calls for Rumsfeld's resignations.

"It's inappropriate, because it's not the military that judges our civilian bosses," he told ABC television.

President Bush has personally weighed in to defend Rumsfeld.

"Secretary Rumsfeld's energetic and steady leadership is exactly what is needed at this critical period," Bush said in a statement.

"He has my full support and deepest appreciation."

Bush acknowledged for the first time last December Iraq was invaded on wrong intelligence and took the blame for the invasion-turned-occupation.

He further admitted that faulty assessments on Iraq's weapons of mass destruction damaged US credibility.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
acapulcogold
04-17-2006, 05:32 PM
Well, DUH !! The Democrats want everyone to resign. :?

blunderbus
04-18-2006, 12:32 AM
"Well, DUH !! The Democrats want everyone to resign."

Not everyone, just Republicans.

sadieadel
04-18-2006, 04:50 AM
I think Rumsfeld is doing a fine job.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sadieadel
04-18-2006, 05:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu M.
What do u mean? He z killing r people!!! Hell fire for tht pig!
My people are equally participating in their own demise.

sadieadel
04-18-2006, 05:16 AM
Yeah. Many bros and sistahs lost da way. R own d-mise. But rumsfeld zionist-pig goes to hellfire 100x!!!
With that attitude, you may go there as well.

sadieadel
04-18-2006, 05:24 AM
Whut u mean, sister? R you sayin i'm goin 2 hell! yOU are awful 2 say so. :grumbling you don't know whut yr talking, woman!
Abu M, I shouldn't suggest that you're going to hell. That was wrong of me. By judging you, I became as intolerable of a person as you seem to be.

snakelegs
04-18-2006, 06:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sadieadel
I think Rumsfeld is doing a fine job.
what has rumsfeld done that is "fine"????

sadieadel
04-18-2006, 06:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
what has rumsfeld done that is "fine"????
He faces his critics head on. He was successful in the War in Afghanistan which resulted in the demise of the Taliban. Also, Al-Qaeda was minimized in Afghanistan.

snakelegs
04-18-2006, 06:57 AM
He faces his critics head on. He was successful in the War in Afghanistan which resulted in the demise of the Taliban. Also, Al-Qaeda was minimized in Afghanistan.
there has been no demise of the taliban in afghanistan, in fact, they are making quite a comeback.

sadieadel
04-18-2006, 07:19 AM
there has been no demise of the taliban in afghanistan, in fact, they are making quite a comeback.
Well if that is the case we put them in hiding for a while. We made an admirable effort. Sounds like they can expect more war.

snakelegs
04-18-2006, 08:22 PM
Well if that is the case we put them in hiding for a while. We made an admirable effort. Sounds like they can expect more war.
well, the opium trade is much bigger than it was under the taliban....
so again, i ask you how is "Rumsfeld is doing a fine job."?
did rumsfeld do "a fine job" in iraq? how - in what way?
'cuz if he is, i musta missed it.

sadieadel
04-18-2006, 08:40 PM
well, the opium trade is much bigger than it was under the taliban....
so again, i ask you how is "Rumsfeld is doing a fine job."?
did rumsfeld do "a fine job" in iraq? how - in what way?
'cuz if he is, i musta missed it.
He's doing as fine a job as any other self-serving politician would do. I don't think he's performing any better or worse than those who held his position in the past. Therefore, I see no need to call for his resignation, castration, or head on a platter. ;D

snakelegs
04-18-2006, 08:55 PM
He's doing as fine a job as any other self-serving politician would do. I don't think he's performing any better or worse than those who held his position in the past. Therefore, I see no need to call for his resignation, castration, or head on a platter. ;D
well, you may have a pont there. :giggling:
i don't call for his resignation because if he resigned whoever they would fill his slot would be more of the same as long as the u.s. foreign policy stays as it is now. i'm sure the democrats realise this too - they are just getting ready for the next elections.
but to say he is no worse or better than other creeps who've been in his position is not quite the same as saying "rumsfeld is doing a fine job"

sadieadel
04-18-2006, 08:57 PM
but to say he is no worse or better than other creeps who've been in his position is not quite the same as saying "rumsfeld is doing a fine job"
You are right. I think I just expect very little from politicians in general.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.