/* */

PDA

View Full Version : US Muslims Reach out to Fellow Americans

sonz
04-17-2006, 03:31 PM
CAIRO, April 17, 2006 (IslamOnline.net) – US Muslims, including students, are championing local campaigns to reach out to fellow Americans and convey the peaceful message of Islam.

"You know, show them Muslims aren't all that bad," Bassam Tariq, an advertising and pre-public relations sophomore and outreach coordinator for the Muslim Students Association, told The Daily Texan on Monday, April 17.

The association organized on April 10-14 an Islam Awareness Week in the city of Texas, including a film festival featuring short films dealing with stereotypes and misconceptions about Muslims and their faith.

"The objective of the film festival was to empower Muslims to express themselves in the creative sector," Bassam said.

Muslim scholars and students came together on Saturday, April 15, to discuss research papers aimed at developing better understanding of Muslims in America.

Two recent polls showed that almost half of Americans have a negative perception of Islam and that one in four of those surveyed have "extreme" anti-Muslim views.

Though is no scientific count of Muslims in the US, the six to seven million is the most commonly cited figure.

Integration

Some of the featured films deals with how best to integrate into American society while adhering to Islamic teachings.

"In the end, it's all about sticking to your religion and remaining true to yourself and your ideals," said Ameera Butt, a journalism junior.

Hammad Rizvi, a film author and producer, said his feature was about reevaluating oneself and being aware of one's ideals.

He said he attempted in the movie to address the conflicts that Muslims confront in constructing collective and individual identities within American society.

Other features in the festival dealt with breaking down stereotypes with humorous parodies.

One film involved a stereotypical southerner named Cleatus who asks questions about many common anti-Islam misconceptions such as associating it with violence.

Another feature intended to make the local mosque in the area more inviting to Muslims in the city.

Creative

Some American Muslims have sought more "creative" ways to highlight the true face of Islam, reported the USA Today on Sunday, April 16.

Astonishing American attendees, a hijab-clad young Muslim woman stood at the center of a chandeliered banquet hall in the city of Detroit singing the US national anthem.

"The way things are now, I bet the average American would never think of the image of a covered girl singing our national anthem," said Denise Hazime, a 25-year-old Muslim American law student.

Mosques in the city have also embarked on public relations campaigns to offer tours for non-Muslims to its premises to help promote their role and activities.

More recently, a group of 27 eighth-grade girls and boys from a Catholic school toured the Dearborn-based Islamic Center of America, Michigan.

Imam Hassan Qazwini said his mosque, the largest in the United States, was trying to do its part to open dialogue with non-Muslims.

Muslims in San Jose, California, have also made special efforts for a similar purpose.

"Images are more powerful than any words," said Irfan Rydhan, 31, a spokesperson and organizer for the South Bay Islamic Association in San Jose.

Rydhan organized "Muslim Unity Day" last year at Paramount's Great America amusement park to provide an image of Muslims being carefree.

Media Blamed

Many American Muslims blame the media for portraying their faith as evil.

"We say we're peaceful people, but it doesn't matter what we say," said Rydhan.

"They see these violent images on TV, and those people look like us."

A Washington Post/ABC News poll released in March showed that a majority of Americans have a negative view of Islam.

James Zogby, the president of the Arab American Institute, said part of the problem was that most Americans do not have a basic understanding of what is going on in many parts of the Muslim world.

"The problem is not the nature of the religion; it is the dislocation and disruption of normal society brought on by the trauma of war," he said.

"It's similar to what happened in our own country during the post-Civil War period where you had lynchings and the emergence of extremist currents that lasted for decades."

Concerned that Muslims are unfairly demonized in American popular consciousness, the Dalia Lama met on Saturday, April 15, with prominent US Muslim leaders to wash away misconceptions about a much demonized Islam.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
knuckles
04-17-2006, 03:37 PM
This is a waste of time. Here in America we don't think badly of Muslim Americans. We actually hold them in high esteem because most of them are doctors and teachers here. Now don't get me there are some ignorant people out there but they are in the minority. On the other hand we are leery of Muslims from other countries that aren't looking to become citizens here but that's only because we have a huge illegal immigrant problem in this country even though 9/11 didn't help the muslim cause

IbnAbdulHakim
04-17-2006, 03:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by knuckles
This is a waste of time. Here in America we don't think badly of Muslim Americans. We actually hold them in high esteem because most of them are doctors and teachers here. Now don't get me there are some ignorant people out there but they are in the minority. On the other hand we are leery of Muslims from other countries that aren't looking to become citizens here but that's only because we have a huge illegal immigrant problem in this country even though 9/11 didn't help the muslim cause
nice of u knuckles. Yes we hav a lot of muslim doctors in this country aswell Alhamdullilah.My sister might become one of them ;D

Al-Zaara
04-17-2006, 03:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abd'Majid
nice of u knuckles. Yes we hav a lot of muslim doctors in this country aswell Alhamdullilah.My sister might become one of them ;D
:sl:
Inshallah...:sister:

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sonz
04-17-2006, 03:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by knuckles
that is a lie and u dont know much what the amerikans and u still say ur an amerikan

1 month ago, most amerikans said that islam and muslims are negative

According to a poll conducted by the Washington Post, a large number of Americans have negative view of Islam and believe Muslims are disproportionately prone to Islam. This should be of major concern to the Musims. The reason for such perceptions may be due to the negative portrayal of Muslims and Islam in the American media. We publish below the full report.

full article:

http://www.islamicboard.com/world-af...creasing.html?

knuckles
04-17-2006, 03:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sonz
that is a lie and u dont know much what the amerikans and u still say ur an amerikan

According to a poll conducted by the Washington Post, a large number of Americans have negative view of Islam and believe Muslims are disproportionately prone to Islam. This should be of major concern to the Musims. The reason for such perceptions may be due to the negative portrayal of Muslims and Islam in the American media. We publish below the full report.

full article:

What people they poll? Did they poll in MI where they have the largest Muslim population? I've been all over this country and have heard very few people who have had negative things to say about Muslims.

Trumble
04-17-2006, 05:54 PM
.... and believe Muslims are disproportionately prone to Islam.
LOL... :happy:

knuckles
04-17-2006, 06:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
LOL... :happy:
I know it doesn't make any sense unless he meant Arabs and not Muslims

sadieadel
04-17-2006, 08:53 PM

full article:

A poll represents a small number of opinions. Polls should not be used to form a position on an issue.

The insulting nature of your comment does little for the overall impression of Islam.

sonz
04-18-2006, 10:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sadieadel
A poll represents a small number of opinions. Polls should not be used to form a position on an issue.

The insulting nature of your comment does little for the overall impression of Islam.
what ru talking about

do u even know how polls r conducted???

knuckles
04-18-2006, 02:23 PM
what ru talking about

do u even know how polls r conducted???
From her comments it sounds like she knows exactly how polls are conducted.

mahdisoldier19
04-18-2006, 05:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aafreen
:sl:
Inshallah...:sister:

:w:

Yes a Dr. Patel, Chauderi All doctors i tell ya, and knuckles you said there a small bunch that think badly of americans? I wonder if you live in NYC or any borough of long island

knuckles
04-18-2006, 05:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mahdisoldier19
Yes a Dr. Patel, Chauderi All doctors i tell ya, and knuckles you said there a small bunch that think badly of americans? I wonder if you live in NYC or any borough of long island
How much of the population do you think those burroghs represent?

mahdisoldier19
04-18-2006, 07:54 PM
Well Manhattan which is one of the boroughs is millions, i guess you dont know anything on this topic either. What topic do you have any backround Notible Factual knowledge on?

sadieadel
04-18-2006, 08:06 PM
Well Manhattan which is one of the boroughs is millions, i guess you dont know anything on this topic either. What topic do you have any backround Notible Factual knowledge on?
People of Manhattan do not represent the American people. I also want to add that the population of the USA as a whole has little in common with the people of NYC. In fact, during 9/11 I think the country felt some fear and sympathy for NYC; however, they are about as connected to NYC as they are to any foreign city.

knuckles
04-18-2006, 08:10 PM
People of Manhattan do not represent the American people. I also want to add that the population of the USA as a whole has little in common with the people of NYC. In fact, during 9/11 I think the country felt some fear and sympathy for NYC; however, they are about as connected to NYC as they are to any foreign city.
TY sister this is what I was trying to portray. Since it's haraam to drink alcohol the next apple juice is on me.

Trumble
04-18-2006, 08:25 PM
Erm... A 'Patel' or a 'Choudhury' is rather more likely to be a Hindu than a Muslim, although they could be either. Or neither come to that.

mahdisoldier19
04-18-2006, 10:23 PM
Actually One of my good friends has a last name of Patel and hes a Muslim

mahdisoldier19
04-18-2006, 10:27 PM

I have never said the people of manhattan represent the american people. Nor do i understand where you got this phrase from. Understand the topic better sis before you comment. I was suggesting that Mr. Knuckles little handful of Americans who dislike Muslims. When in fact i can prove its more than a handful in NYC and other parts of New York. As for the country that feels fear and sympathy in NYC. I have been to other parts of America and noticed that there are groups of people that just dont care what happens in front of them.

In manhattan me and a friend of mine did a test to pretend to stealing his bike and new yorkers and other americans who were tourists just walked by. Even though we struggled as if we were trying to steal it. So when you say sympthay or fear i dont understand how you mean this because we all know america cares about $$$ the most. ANd i dont know anyone who wouldnt agree. I know people who say money doesnt make you happy. If i put 1 billion dollars on a table for someone in america, THAT WILL MAKE THEM TRULY HAPPY

blunderbus
04-18-2006, 11:09 PM
"we all know america cares about $$$ the most. "

Is that why they sent so much of it to the tsunami victims.
(Higher total $ contribution than any other nation)

mahdisoldier19
04-18-2006, 11:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by blunderbus
"we all know america cares about $$$ the most. "

Is that why they sent so much of it to the tsunami victims.
(Higher total $ contribution than any other nation)

Yes Made by the citizens Not by the Government, and those citizens include Mass amounts of Muslim US Citizens and myself so i dont know what your getting at? Do you know the katrina statistics?

Do you know how long it took for Federal Aid? It was embarresing for Bush

blunderbus
04-18-2006, 11:45 PM
"Yes Made by the citizens Not by the Government,"
I'm pretty sure that applies for the U.S. government as well. Perhaps we could check our figures and see what Govt. contributed the most $. I could be wrong.

blunderbus
04-18-2006, 11:50 PM
My mistake, U.S. is fourth in total $ amount

sadieadel
04-19-2006, 01:12 AM
I have never said the people of manhattan represent the american people. Nor do i understand where you got this phrase from. Understand the topic better sis before you comment. I was suggesting that Mr. Knuckles little handful of Americans who dislike Muslims. When in fact i can prove its more than a handful in NYC and other parts of New York. As for the country that feels fear and sympathy in NYC. I have been to other parts of America and noticed that there are groups of people that just dont care what happens in front of them.

My comments were in reference to the dialogue between SONZ and Knuckles, not your dialogue. May I suggest that you learn to address sisters in a more respectful manner.:sister:

You will find groups of people who do not care what goes on in front of them in all countries on this earth, the USA is not an exception. Again, the comments I made were in response to those made by Sonz. It appears that he is suggesting that Americans do not like Muslims, which is a false generalization. The treatment of Muslims in NYC was used to defend this stance. My comments were stated to draw attention to the fact that a small population of Americans (New Yorkers) should not be used to represent people of the 49 additional US states.

In manhattan me and a friend of mine did a test to pretend to stealing his bike and new yorkers and other americans who were tourists just walked by. Even though we struggled as if we were trying to steal it. So when you say sympthay or fear i dont understand how you mean this because we all know america cares about $$$ the most. ANd i dont know anyone who wouldnt agree. I know people who say money doesnt make you happy. If i put 1 billion dollars on a table for someone in america, THAT WILL MAKE THEM TRULY HAPPY

Is the love of money not true of some people in all other countries?

How does your bike stealing experiment prove that Americans don't possess sympathy?

:? :? :?

sadieadel
04-19-2006, 01:17 AM
Yes Made by the citizens Not by the Government, and those citizens include Mass amounts of Muslim US Citizens and myself so i dont know what your getting at? Do you know the katrina statistics?

Do you know how long it took for Federal Aid? It was embarresing for Bush
Since when did the US have Mass amounts of Muslim citizens? In relation to other religious denominations, Muslims are quite few. We also need to recognize that US Muslims tend to be far more progressive Islamically (wouldn't be considered true Muslims by many).

mortazaB
04-19-2006, 01:30 AM
Subhanalla' I wish I can, help :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.