/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Court Mohammed statue

blunderbus
04-17-2006, 06:33 PM
WASHINGTON, DC (CWN) - The Supreme Court will not remove a sculpted image of the Prophet Muhammed from the walls of the courtroom, according to a letter from the Chief Justice to an American-Islamic group on Tuesday.

The frieze of Muhammed is part of a larger sculpture in the justices' courtroom that includes images of other historic lawgivers including Moses, Justinian, and Confucius. Islamic groups, including the Council on American-Islamic Relations, had asked that sculpture be erased or altered. Islam strongly discourages images of the prophet, and many Muslims believe such images distract from the worship of God.

Chief Justice William Rehnquist said in his letter to the council, "Altering the depiction of Muhammad would impair the artistic integrity of the whole. Additionally, it is unlawful (under US Code) to remove or in any way injure an architectural feature in the Supreme Court."

Any opinions?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
snakelegs
04-17-2006, 06:49 PM
[QUOTE=blunderbus;262677

Any opinions?[/QUOTE]

sounds sensible to me.

knuckles
04-17-2006, 08:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
sounds sensible to me.
me too

sadieadel
04-17-2006, 09:03 PM
Sounds sensible to me as well. If Mohammed wasn't represented, I think we would here far more complaints from our fellow Muslims. I consider it an honor to have him depicted. And who says the USA doesn't accept us???

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muezzin
04-17-2006, 10:50 PM
What I don't get is... If there's (quite rightly) not supposed to be pictures of the Prophet (peace be upon him), how will we know a picture of him when we see one? :?

sadieadel
04-17-2006, 10:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
What I don't get is... If there's (quite rightly) not supposed to be pictures of the Prophet (peace be upon him), how will we know a picture of him when we see one? :?
Very good question. I wonder the same.

Ghazi
04-17-2006, 11:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sadieadel
Sounds sensible to me as well. If Mohammed wasn't represented, I think we would here far more complaints from our fellow Muslims. I consider it an honor to have him depicted. And who says the USA doesn't accept us???
Salaam

Having pictures dipicting the prophet is haraam full stop.

sadieadel
04-17-2006, 11:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth
Salaam

Yes it is haraam. My point is that a lot of fellow Muslims would complain if he were not included amongst the other great religions.

blunderbus
04-17-2006, 11:07 PM
The relief (statue) was part of the original building, which was completed sometime in the 1930s.

The Supreme Court is the United States' highest court, and one of the three branches of power in the U.S. system of govt. (the President and Congress being the other two)

Hope this provides some context for posters who may be less familiar with the United States.

Ghazi
04-17-2006, 11:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sadieadel
Yes it is haraam. My point is that a lot of fellow Muslims would complain if he were not included amongst the other great religions.
Salaam

Why would they complain about someone dipicting the prophet, and why would they care what the kufar think?

Islamicboy
04-17-2006, 11:12 PM
Salamlikum
Another cowardly attack from the kuffar. If any muslims wants Prophet Muhammed S.A.W picture to be in courtroom being depicted well he/she may think its repect but its compelet disrespect. Muslims should have taken action agains't these kuffar when they depicted Isa A.S aka Jesus long time ago. Now this has gone out of control recently what south park did I don't know if you all heard about it.

akulion
04-17-2006, 11:17 PM
well what can you expect from idolators except to make idols?

tsk tsk

blunderbus
04-17-2006, 11:19 PM
Is there an important difference between the Danish cartoons and the Supreme Court statue, or is it pretty much the same thing?

Islamicboy
04-17-2006, 11:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by blunderbus
Is there an important difference between the Danish cartoons and the Supreme Court statue, or is it pretty much the same thing?
There is a difference the danish cartoons intended to mock Islam and muslims. Where the supreme court statue even though they might think its respect but what displeases the people of the religion then the court should take out the statue..

blunderbus
04-17-2006, 11:33 PM
"they shouldnt out the statue.." I don't understand

azim
04-17-2006, 11:40 PM
Salam.

Although I don't approve of the statue (as its forbidden under Islam) - we as Muslims cannot expect non-Muslims to abide by our rules.

I had not heard/known about the statue until now, the same with most Muslims I'm imagining - and I doubt many Muslims will ever be in the presence of the statue - so as far as we're concerne - it doesn't exist.

We should be more concerned with the US's decisions in Iraq then the US's decisions in decor.

Peace.

snakelegs
04-18-2006, 02:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by azim
Salam.

Although I don't approve of the statue (as its forbidden under Islam) - we as Muslims cannot expect non-Muslims to abide by our rules.

I had not heard/known about the statue until now, the same with most Muslims I'm imagining - and I doubt many Muslims will ever be in the presence of the statue - so as far as we're concerne - it doesn't exist.

We should be more concerned with the US's decisions in Iraq then the US's decisions in decor.

Peace.
how sane!

Joe98
04-18-2006, 05:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
how sane!

Yes, I am baffled too!

-

Wahid
04-18-2006, 06:11 AM
good points bro azim

snakelegs
04-18-2006, 06:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98
Yes, I am baffled too!

-
i am not baffled. i thought azim made a lot of sense.

Trumble
04-18-2006, 06:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth
Apparently not, at least among Shia. I was amazed to see pictures of a demonstration about the cartoons in Iran where several present were carrying pictures of Mohammed! There seems to be quite a tradition of such depictions in muslim art from that part of the world, too. I won't post pictures for obvious reasons!

It seems to me that the big difference between this and the cartoons is that the Prophet is depicted with respect..... if nobody complained for over seventy years I think its safe to assume that even without seeing it. As such a depiction clearly IS considered acceptable by at least some muslims, I see no reason why it should be removed.

north_malaysian
04-18-2006, 09:28 AM
The problem is that, nobody who have seen prophet muhammad ever draw or make a statue of him. So the modern day people dont know how exactly Prophet Muhammad look like.

Like Jesus statues - they are in various forms, some put him blue eyes, hazel eyes, black eyes, green eyes. Some have his skin white, tanned or even black.

For Muslims, it insulting to claim a drawing or statue as Muhammad because it's not exactly him.

I suggest, his statue should be replaced by a carved Arabic calligraphy of 'Muhammad'.

S_87
04-18-2006, 09:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
Apparently not, at least among Shia. I was amazed to see pictures of a demonstration about the cartoons in Iran where several present were carrying pictures of Mohammed! There seems to be quite a tradition of such depictions in muslim art from that part of the world, too. I won't post pictures for obvious reasons!

im not saying youre wrong, its possible but generally they carry posters of khomeini. some of their masjids also have his pics up

Muslim Knight
04-18-2006, 10:24 AM
But I thought these kuffars hate our Prophet that they imagine him as terrorist in their caricatures. Why put up a statue of him now? This hypocrisy baffles me!

KAding
04-18-2006, 10:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Knight
But I thought these kuffars hate our Prophet that they imagine him as terrorist in their caricatures. Why put up a statue of him now? This hypocrisy baffles me!
They didn't put it up now, but at the start of the 20th century, when the building was built.

If it comforts you, I doubt they would do it now :P.

knuckles
04-18-2006, 02:32 PM
Brother you are mistaken. Who said we viewed Muhammed as a terrorist?

Muslim Knight
04-23-2006, 05:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by knuckles
Brother you are mistaken. Who said we viewed Muhammed as a terrorist?
I was referring to the recent Danish caricatures of course. Look it up.

By the way, even we Muslims don't know how our Prophet Muhammad (salallahu 'alayhi wassalam) exactly looks like save from textual description from Hadiths. But there has never been any portrait, statue or figure of him drawn by those who knew the Prophet during his lifetime. Why should anyone build a statue now and say it is him or much less looks like him?

Muezzin
04-23-2006, 03:47 PM
I was referring to the recent Danish caricatures of course. Look it up.
To be fair, that was one right-wing Danish newspaper, not non-Muslims as a whole.

By the way, even we Muslims don't know how our Prophet Muhammad (salallahu 'alayhi wassalam) exactly looks like save from textual description from Hadiths. But there has never been any portrait, statue or figure of him drawn by those who knew the Prophet during his lifetime. Why should anyone build a statue now and say it is him or much less looks like him?
That's what I was getting at. I could draw a bearded guy and write 'this is the Prophet (SAW)', but everyone would quite rightly think I'm an idiot for doing so. Firstly, because I'd be liable to get my butt kicked. Secondly, because I don't have a clue what Muhammad (SAW) looked like exactly.

Besides, this statue is in the Supreme Court. Keep out of trouble, you'll never even see it ;) :p

mirage41
04-23-2006, 05:04 PM
http://www.supremecourtus.gov/about/...southwalls.pdf

The Supreme Court Frieze was built awhile ago. It includes carvings of all the major lawmakers.

Why are Muslims so arrogant that they think that the Americans are going to mutilate a piece of thier own heritage because of some minority groups taboos?

Bittersteel
04-23-2006, 06:20 PM
you'll never even see it
I saw it one my Americans friends showed it to me.The point of this statue is Muslims won't be isolated or denied from justice.

Muezzin
04-23-2006, 10:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mirage41
http://www.supremecourtus.gov/about/...southwalls.pdf

The Supreme Court Frieze was built awhile ago. It includes carvings of all the major lawmakers.

Why are Muslims so arrogant that they think that the Americans are going to mutilate a piece of thier own heritage because of some minority groups taboos?
Why are non-Muslims so arrogant that they think Muslims think that Americans should mutilate a piece of their own heritage because of some minority groups' taboos?

Generalisations are not a nice thing when they happen to you, right? :rollseyes

Not all Muslims are 'so arrogant', as your statement implies.

Muslim Knight
04-24-2006, 12:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mirage41
First, we're not arrogant. We're concerned.

Second, we're not "minority groups". We're 1.6 billion.

Bittersteel
04-24-2006, 01:57 AM
in the US?

cloehadi
04-24-2006, 03:07 AM

probably talking about world not america

mirage41
04-24-2006, 04:42 AM

Concerned? About what? That that a barely noticed statue will cause you soul great harm?

There's 1.6 Billion Muslims in America!!!?!?!!? WOWZERS!

MinAhlilHadeeth
04-24-2006, 09:26 AM
Man, is everyone out to cheese us off or what? Just cut it out all ready!

HeiGou
04-24-2006, 09:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Mu'MiNaH~
Man, is everyone out to cheese us off or what? Just cut it out all ready!
You mean a gesture of respect 80 years ago was, in your opinion, designed to cheese Muslims off?

MinAhlilHadeeth
04-24-2006, 09:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by HeiGou
You mean a gesture of respect 80 years ago was, in your opinion, designed to cheese Muslims off?
Obviously! Can't you see it was a conspiracy?
Psyche. But they should have looked into the matter before running off and doing things that they claim cannot be undone. Don't ya think?

HeiGou
04-24-2006, 09:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Mu'MiNaH~
Obviously! Can't you see it was a conspiracy?
Please tell me you are still trying to make the smiley things work?

Psyche. But they should have looked into the matter before running off and doing things that they claim cannot be undone. Don't ya think?
No. I think it was a nice gesture, but misplaced. They thought to respect all people but they had a strange view of Muhammed and Muslims. It could be undone in the sense they could hack his statue out. But it should not have gone up in the first place. I feel today that any attempt at dialog with Muslims is a waste of time, but I hope it will pass.

MinAhlilHadeeth
04-24-2006, 09:36 AM
Please tell me you are still trying to make the smiley things work?
I said 'psyche' man.

No. I think it was a nice gesture, but misplaced. They thought to respect all people but they had a strange view of Muhammed and Muslims. It could be undone in the sense they could hack his statue out. But it should not have gone up in the first place. I feel today that any attempt at dialog with Muslims is a waste of time, but I hope it will pass.
*gasps*... you did NOT just call me a waste of time. *runs off and cries*.
But didn't it say that anything in the supremem court can not be taken down or something like that?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.