/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Name convention

HMLithman
04-19-2006, 02:38 PM
Hi there. I have a question.
I plan to change my name and adopt a new surname for me and for my kids in the future. Suppose my name is MOHD HAFFIEZ and my father's name is MOHMAD NAZRI. According to Malaysian Law, my name is written as MOHD HAFFIEZ bin MOHMAD NAZRI. And I plan to change my name into HAFFIEZ MICHAEL LITHMAN where MICHAEL is the name of Archangel which acts as my second name whereas LITHMAN is a coined name of both my grandfathers' names LI and OTHMAN which is the new surname/family name.
So my name would be HAFFIEZ MICHAEL LITHMAN or HAFFIEZ MICHAEL LITHMAN bin MOHMAD NAZRI instead of MOHD HAFFIEZ bin MOHMAD NAZRI as full name according to Malysian Law.
Suppose I have an issue from a marriage, I will name him as say, ADAM GABRIEL LITHMAN or in Malaysia his name will be ADAM GABRIEL LITHMAN bin HAFFIEZ MICHAEL LITHMAN.
Is it ok for me to adopt a new surname and practise using it like those Turks, Lebanese, Iraqis and Westerners surname system instead of the Saudi-based 'bin' format using patronym system?
Also is it OK to use names in English such as Haffiez, Michael and Gabriel which some people may be mistaken to be a non-muslim due to non-Arabic names? I tried to explain to a Religious Officer that the languages had nothing to do with faith but she didn't bother and she said a Muslim must carry an Arabic name or names in Malay. She has such a narrow mind. How can I explain to her? Someone please help me. I need to change my name to ease my journey whilst in overseas and also because of other reasons. Thanks :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
NahidSarvy
04-19-2006, 04:18 PM
* You could use the Persian term, which is "Islamic": you would be "Michael" Nazrizade. There are many Persians in the US and the name doesn't sound "Muslim".
* You could pick a very Malay name, one that sounds "Un-Islamic" to foreigners (consider names with -ng - like Zu-Palembang" - the Zu of Zu l-Fikl and Dhû n-Nûn, or even Du Palembang, which sounds vaguely French-y) and a first name like Berhan "Light" instead of Nur "Light", or Ferdowsi or another name like Harun. Pick something uncommon and not, like, Ali, Muhammad, Osman, Omar, Hassan, Hussayn...
* For inspiration, try books. PM me and I can whip out my historiographies and you can pick rare and "un-Araby" names that are, nonetheless, acceptable to the Religion Occifer.

------
04-19-2006, 04:34 PM
Ali, Muhammad, Osman, Omar, Hassan, Hussayn...
These r beautiful names Mashallah.

NahidSarvy
04-19-2006, 05:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Islamic Kuri
Which is why they are so popular... but our friend is asking for names that are Islamic or Melayu and won't get him strip-searched and discriminated against in Western countries. I'm trying to help.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aamirsaab
04-19-2006, 05:04 PM
:sl:
format_quote Originally Posted by Islamic Kuri
I hear aamir is a nice name too.

:p.

IbnAbdulHakim
04-19-2006, 05:06 PM
shudnt michael b mika'il?

IbnAbdulHakim
04-19-2006, 05:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
:sl:

I hear aamir is a nice name too.

:p.
really, where? :p

HMLithman
04-20-2006, 07:29 AM
Not really looking for Malay name. It's more to names in Islam but in another language. Unfortunately I had a bad day at the religious department. They were behaving as if they were not working for a religious-purpose-body. They scolded me for being crazy and illogical. They told me names must be in Arabic or Malay and English names are not allowed. One of them even managed to threaten to kick me as he was suddenly getting furious when I was talking to him politely. (That's what most Malays behave indeed: bad-tempered and narrow-minded). Even the registration department worker told me that Michael doesn't mean anything in Islam unless it is Mikhael or spellings that are similar to Arabic or Malay spelling :s And also my name is MOHD which most Malaysians regard it as abbreviation of Muhammed. I never liked MOHD not because it is Muhammed because I pronounce it as they way it is spelt but still people call it Muhammed which actually annoys me.
I really need to change my name so it will be easy for me to do my everyday matters and when travelling overseas. Can you guys help me? Please bear in mind I still want HAFFIEZ as part of the name be it my proper name or my surname :) I want my name to have three names; first name, second name (which I want to put Michael) and last/surname.
Salams :)
ps: Could you guys tell me where do you guys come from as I plan to print this thread and show to them so they would (one day) believe me and open their brain to a wider scope. I felt so upset today due to the incident.

HMLithman
04-20-2006, 07:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by NahidSarvy
* You could use the Persian term, which is "Islamic": you would be "Michael" Nazrizade. There are many Persians in the US and the name doesn't sound "Muslim".
* You could pick a very Malay name, one that sounds "Un-Islamic" to foreigners (consider names with -ng - like Zu-Palembang" - the Zu of Zu l-Fikl and Dhû n-Nûn, or even Du Palembang, which sounds vaguely French-y) and a first name like Berhan "Light" instead of Nur "Light", or Ferdowsi or another name like Harun. Pick something uncommon and not, like, Ali, Muhammad, Osman, Omar, Hassan, Hussayn...
* For inspiration, try books. PM me and I can whip out my historiographies and you can pick rare and "un-Araby" names that are, nonetheless, acceptable to the Religion Occifer.
Hi there, I am yet to be a full member so I can't contact you sadly. This is my email anyway, HMLithman@GMail.Com hope you could email me there and we will keep in great touch. Salam.

HMLithman
04-21-2006, 04:00 AM
btw is this name ok? MOHD HAFFIEZ MIKHAEL?
MOHD HAFFIEZ MIKAEL
MOHD HAFFIEZ MIKHAIL
MOHD HAFFIEZ MIKAIL

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.