/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Fossil with hips shows snakes' lizard past

HeiGou
04-20-2006, 05:18 PM
Of course it is possible that God created this snake to look exactly as if it has evolved from lizards. But why?

Fossil with hips shows snakes' lizard past
By Roger Highfield
(Filed: 20/04/2006)

A newly discovered fossil has revealed a creature that crawled with two legs, providing fresh evidence that serpents evolved from lizards.

The snake, found in Patagonia, in Argentina, is the most primitive snake ever found and the only one ever discovered with hips.

The discovery of the snake with a primitive pelvis provides "unequivocal support" for the theory that the earliest snakes were burrowing land animals, rather than the alternative hypothesis that they were marine animals that crawled to land, say researchers who made the find.

The fossil's hips - a skeletal component called the sacral region that links the hindlimbs to the backbone - show that the robust legs of the snake, which grew up to 3ft long, would still have been used by the animal to crawl on the surface and in tunnels.

Dr SebastiƔn Apesteguƭa, of the Argentine Museum of Natural Sciences, Buenos Aires, and Dr Hussam Zaher, of the University of Sao Paulo, report the find in this week's Nature.

Dr Zaher said it was the first time that scientists had found a snake with a sacrum. That feature was lost as snakes evolved from lizards, and since this was the only known snake that had not lost it, it must be the most primitive known, he said.

The creature clearly lived on land, both because its anatomy suggests that it lived in burrows and because the deposits in which the fossils were found came from a terrestrial environment. So, if the earliest known snake lived on land, that suggested that snakes evolved on land, Dr Zaher said.

The newly discovered species - Najash rionegrina - lived in the late Cretaceous period some 90 million years ago. The family tree of snakes is poorly understood, owing to the fact that snake skeletons are typically small and fragile, making fossilisation unlikely. Both skeletal features and analysis of venoms suggest that snakes descended from lizard-like ancestors.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muezzin
04-20-2006, 05:39 PM
They're not hips. They're love handles.

But seriously, interesting news. What's the source? I wonder if there are any pictures.

ishkabab
04-20-2006, 05:41 PM
yeh is there any pics of this lizard / snake??

Imam786
04-20-2006, 06:10 PM
Yeah this is interesting...sure would be good if i could see some pics too..

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Lush
04-20-2006, 06:18 PM
The source is the Telegraph.

They haven't released any pictures yet. I want to see it though.

extinction
04-20-2006, 06:26 PM
this is pretty cool..especially the part about.."The fossil's hips - a skeletal component called the sacral region that links the hindlimbs to the backbone - show that the robust legs of the snake, which grew up to 3ft long, would still have been used by the animal to crawl on the surface and in tunnels." that made me go like whoa!! I never thought of that..and as for love handles hardly man ..... pics would be even more coool...I have something to talk about tomorrow thanks dude...

Muezzin
04-20-2006, 06:39 PM
I wonder if that ancestor of the snake looked like a much slimmer version of a Komodo dragon?

HeiGou
04-21-2006, 11:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
They're not hips. They're love handles.
Hmm, only if it is a boy-lizard. On the plus side, if she was a girl-lizard she could belly dance. Now that would be cool.

But seriously, interesting news. What's the source? I wonder if there are any pictures.
The (London) Telegraph but I think you have to subscribe or something.

There is a picture of the fossil itself at http://www.newscientist.com/article/...it-of-leg.html

But it is not very interesting.

Imam786
04-21-2006, 05:28 PM
attachmentphp?attachmentid1178&ampstc1&ampd1145640482 -

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.