/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How the BNP is gaining ground in Barking

HeiGou
04-20-2006, 05:23 PM
How the BNP is gaining ground in Barking with a campaign of lies and distortions
By Cahal Milmo
Published: 20 April 2006

Rose Thomson has lived happily next to the Longbridge Road campus buildings for 30 years. But now she wants to move. She said: "The asylum-seekers are coming. They're taking over. It's not British here any more."

Mrs Thomson, 67, echoed many who live near the complex outside Barking town centre who believe the site, now occupied by the University of East London, will soon be turned into housing for refugees.

It is not true. The campus is earmarked for a regeneration project that includes low-rent housing. But that has not stopped it being circulated on doorsteps on behalf of the British National Party as it tries to polarise opinion and win backing among the 165,000 voters in this docile and traditionally Labour-dominated corner of east London in next month's local elections.

The result is a game of political smoke and mirrors with the far-right party using shady tactics, including the apparent use of unoccupied addresses as candidates' homes, and questionable statistics to boost its support, with its chief opponents slinging back equally dodgy numbers.

Mrs Thomson, a grandmother and a retired bakery worker, said: "We had the BNP around the other week. I normally vote Labour but this chap made sense. The area has changed; lots more migrants. I'm in favour of helping a few but a whole centre for asylum-seekers, that's not on. What about houses for families who were born here?"

Housing is a hot topic these days in the borough of Barking and Dagenham. Or at least it has become one that the BNP has chosen as its chief electoral weapon on the area's vast red-brick estates as it seeks a breakthrough in the capital.

The BNP is fielding 13 candidates is seven of the borough's 17 wards, the far-right party's biggest electoral push in southern England. In last year's general election, the BNP polled 16.9 per cent in Barking and it aspires to obtaining five seats on 4 May.

Along with spreading falsehoods about the university campus, BNP supporters have been circulating another piece of pernicious tittle-tattle under the slogan "Africans for Essex", claiming immigrants are being given grants of £50,000 to buy houses in the borough. There are no such grants. But if Margaret Hodge, the Labour MP for Barking, is to be believed, they are rumours which are helping the BNP win wide support.

The MP said mainstream politicians had failed to address the local issues - such as a shortage of council housing - that were allowing racism to thrive, and prompting eight out of 10 of the white families in Barking to admit they were tempted to vote for the BNP.

Warning of an upsurge in open support for a party which warns of Britain turning into a "coffee-coloured" nation, she said: "That's something we have never seen before, in all my years, even when people voted BNP they used to be ashamed to vote BNP. Now they are not."

Over 25 years, the non-white population of Barking and Dagenham has increased from 9 per cent to 15 per cent. But its race-crime rate is average for London and, with a large stock of cheaper former council houses, it is experiencing a housing boom. One estate agent said prices had risen by 8 per cent since January.

Robert Ashfield, 46, was one of the few who confirmed he intended to back the party led by Nick Griffin, the Cambridge graduate who has masterminded the BNP's bid for respectability. Mr Ashfield said: "Labour's not done what it said it would for helping ordinary working people. Almost everyone I know will still vote for them but for me the BNP say they will do something and it sounds like they've got Labour bigwigs running scared."

Jamu Inder Singh, a Labour councillor who has twice successfully contested his seat against BNP opposition, said: "What Mrs Hodge said was completely irresponsible. It is making the BNP out to be a force that they are not. We must not be scared of them."

Yet Searchlight, the anti-fascist organisation, said its polling showed BNP support running at about 25 per cent in some of the wards it is contesting. And two of the BNP list for Barking and Dagenham, Richard Barnbrook and Robert William Bailey, are registered as living in a derelict maisonette above a shopping parade in Barking town centre. There was no answer yesterday at their steel gate.

Under election rules, candidates must live or work in the borough where they are standing. But Mr Barnbrook has an address in Blackheath, south London, and Mr Bailey in the borough of Havering. Neither wanted to comment but Phil Edwards, the BNP's national spokesman, said: "These are legitimate addresses. Sometimes candidates choose not to answer the door."

Borough profile

* Located in the east of London, north of the Thames, Barking and Dagenham is home to 67,300 people: 80.9 per cent are white Britons, 4.4 per cent are black Africans, 2.3 per cent are Indians, and 2.1 per cent are black Caribbeans.

* 39.5 per cent of 16- to 74-year-olds have no qualifications. Only 56 per cent of the same age range are employed. 19.9 per cent of the borough's population claim disability benefit.

Lone parent households with dependent children make up 10.4 per cent of households and people living alone make up 30 per cent of households.

* 69 per cent of residents are Christian, 4.4 per cent are Muslim, 2 per cent are Hindu or Sikh.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Rabi'ya
04-20-2006, 05:25 PM
:sl:

I read an article in the paper about BNP..its disgusting...I wish that they could be exposed for what they really are...

:w:

Rabi'ya:rose:

extinction
04-20-2006, 05:27 PM
bnp as in the british national party? are those the same as national fronts?

S_87
04-20-2006, 05:29 PM

its horrible. at the moment also, the bnp is using islamaphobia to get votes :(

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
extinction
04-20-2006, 05:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani

its horrible. at the moment also, the bnp is using islamaphobia to get votes :(
kind of like what bush did

Trumble
04-20-2006, 06:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hafizmo
bnp as in the british national party? are those the same as national fronts?
Pretty much. Different people, same racist views.

Such a shame people are gullible enough to believe the rubbish they and their kind put out.

I heard somebody on the radio the other day blaming increasing house prices on immigrants, saying that as there are more people there must be more demand. Complete rubbish.. our population is actually going down overall, and more houses are needed not because of immigration but because there are far more single-adult households than there used to be.

ishkabab
04-20-2006, 06:25 PM
That is sooo whack these people really should get exposed...so much racism ..its making me sick..

Nicola
04-20-2006, 06:50 PM
I feel sorry for the people who feel they must vote for the BNP.

The Labour governent are not listening to the British people, survey after survey has been done nationaly and Tony Blair knows the feelings of the general public, yet he refuses to listen or change any polices concerning Asylum Seekers and what is given to them. So some people will turn and vote for the BNP.
I have many black and asian friends who are also voting for the BNP.

I see no difference with the BNP and Iran and the likes who support them with their attitude..who not only want the Jews out of Israel but want them wiped off the map.

j4763
04-20-2006, 08:46 PM
I see no difference with the BNP and Iran and the likes who support them with their attitude..who not only want the Jews out of Israel but want them wiped off the map.
Excellent point! I see a lot of posts here asking for the jews to be removed from israel here... Seems just like the sort of thing the BNP would ask for too if based in that land.

Sister_6038
04-20-2006, 08:53 PM
the BNP are sad little pathetic boys...who lack the intellect to not conform to the sad ways of old racists....how pathetic are they? very much that is so...i mean i fail to comprehend utterly how any being can make a racist remark against another based on the colour of their skin...their creed, background and so forth....and just as we're on the topic of background and that...i wanna say its not only BNP members who outgoing racists as i see plenty of fellow muslims in my college make racist remarks...i think the problem is deeprooted within our youth...the muslim youth..and this is a problem which needs to be addressed....i mean its all fair and well to say 'look at the BNP stupid racist'....but making derogatory remarks about others from a different culture is just as racist...so remember that people....its not all black and white....pardon the lame pun....

north_malaysian
04-21-2006, 02:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by HeiGou
[b]
* 69 per cent of residents are Christian, 4.4 per cent are Muslim, 2 per cent are Hindu or Sikh.
For sure those 4.4% Muslim will not vote for them.

north_malaysian
04-21-2006, 02:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by j4763
Excellent point! I see a lot of posts here asking for the jews to be removed from israel here... Seems just like the sort of thing the BNP would ask for too if based in that land.
I dont want Jews to be removed from pre-1967 Israeli border.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.