/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

glo
04-22-2006, 12:24 AM
Hi all!

I am a Christian woman, living in the Britain. I am married to an atheist, and we have two wonderful children.

The community I live in has a large minority group of Pakistani Muslims. We share our community, the shops, the schools, the health and public services ...
And yet, the Muslim community seems to keep itself very insular.

I connect Islam with somewhat disapproving looking bearded men, and women in headscarves, who barely make eye contact. (I'm not trying to sound flippant here. Honest!) When I try to speak to Muslim women, many don't speak any or very broken English.
I love my local community, and I believe strongly that to make it work, we should know about each others cultures and ways of life.

So that's why I'm here - trying to understand Islam.
I seek neither to preach nor to be preached at. But if I can hang out for a while, and ask some questions, that would be cool! :)

Thank you all.
glo

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
extinction
04-22-2006, 12:27 AM
welcome to the forum!! hope you can truly benefit from the muslims on this site..and hope you can get more closer to your goal of actually understanding "us"

czgibson
04-22-2006, 12:30 AM
Greetings glo,

Welcome! :)

I'm an atheist and I'm here for roughly the same reasons as you are. I'm sure you'll find plenty of interesting discussions here. There's a great deal to learn, and members of the forum will be willing to help with any questions you may have.

Peace

BlissfullyJaded
04-22-2006, 12:38 AM
Hi,

Welcome glo. :) I hope your stay here will be of much benefit and you have a nice time here.

Looking forward to your posts. :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
04-22-2006, 12:45 AM
Thank you for the welcome.:)

Right now it is 1.40 a.m. and I must go to bed!!!

But in the words of a famous actor: 'I'll be back!' ;D

Good night, and God bless.

glo

sapphire
04-22-2006, 12:47 AM
:welcome: to the forums :)

extinction
04-22-2006, 12:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Thank you for the welcome.:)

Right now it is 1.40 a.m. and I must go to bed!!!

But in the words of a famous actor: 'I'll be back!' ;D

Good night, and God bless.

glo
ooh I know that famous actor really well as a matter of fact I sort of stole his nickname.....

akulion
04-22-2006, 12:51 AM

F.Y.
04-22-2006, 02:57 AM
Welcome glo!
Nice name by the way. Please feel free to ask questions.
Peace to you :)

glo
04-22-2006, 08:46 AM
Hafizmo

You stole his nickname? How so?:?

glo

afriend
04-22-2006, 09:45 AM
Welcome to the forum! :)

Please feel free to ask any questions...We'll try our best to answer your questions/queries!

I hope you get the right image of Islam.

Take care now, bye bye then.

Nicola
04-22-2006, 11:22 AM
Hi glo

and welcome, I haven't been here that long, but have found the people here to be very friendly, welcoming and very helpful...I'm sure you'll find the same yourself.
I'm a born-again Christian and also live in a large asian community, Birmingham. I have many friends within the asian community who I'm in contact with daily and now I attend college with some of them also.

I joined a community project a few years back and made many friends that way, it wasn't my intention to find new friends, I just wanted to put something into the local community...and ended up with a great bunch of new friends. all those friendships have grown, some much better than others. Like all people in life, we need time to get to know each other :)

"..MariAm.."
04-22-2006, 11:51 AM
Asalamoalikum ! :)
hope u enjoy ur stay ..and make new frends and also understand the people around here :) feel free to ask anything ... :)
jazakumullah khair
wasalam

The Ruler
04-22-2006, 12:36 PM
Salam

:welcome: to de forums....enjoy ur stay!! :) :)

Wassalam :peace:

i_m_tipu
04-22-2006, 12:54 PM
:welcome: 2 the forums :)

glo
04-22-2006, 01:37 PM
Thank you all, friends! I feel home already! :)

Nicola, thanks for your PM. Can't reply at the moment because of my limited member status - but I have recieved it. :)

glo

Rabi'ya
04-24-2006, 12:47 PM
Hi glo!!

good to see you here - glad you made it :)

hope you enjoy your stay...seems i missed you joining but look forward to your posts :)

peace!

Rabi'ya:rose:

glo
04-24-2006, 01:56 PM
Thanks, Rabi'ya. :)

glo

afriend2
04-24-2006, 03:40 PM
salaam,

welcome to LI glo, :) inshAllah have a great time posting :happy:

wassalam :peace:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.