/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why a Muslim Must Grow his Beard?

Slave of Rehman
04-22-2006, 11:18 AM
Why a Muslim Must Grow his Beard?

We begin with the Name of Allaah

You should know that Allaah, Most High says: {It is not for the believing man or woman, when Allaah and His Messenger have decreed a matter that they should have any option in their decision } (Soorah 33:36)

He, the Almighty also says: { And let those who oppose the Messenger’s command-ment beware, lest some affliction befall them or a painful torment be inflicted upon them } (Soorah 24:63)

From the above Qur`aanic verses, it is clear that we are obliged to obey all the commandments of Allaah’s Messenger and he has ordered us in several authentic hadeeth to grow our beards and has forbidden us from shaving. He said: “Trim the moustache and grow the beard and be different from the magiians (fire-worshippers).” (Narrated by Muslim)

When the Messenger of Allaah e received two messengers from the Persian king, Kisraa, he observed that they had long moustaches and were beardless and said: “Woe to you! Who ordered you to do this?” So how would you feel, oh shaver, if the Messenger of Allaah e were to turn away from you in disgust and say: “Woe to you! Who ordered you to do this?”

Allaah also forbids us from wilfully changing His creation; He says: { So set you [oh, Muhammad,] your face towards the pure Religion, with the fitrah [natural state] in which He has created mankind. No change let there be in the creation of Allaah } (Soorah 30:30)

Shaving the beard is an imitation of women; Allaah’s Messenger e said: “Women who imitate men and men who imitate women are not from us.” (Narrated by Ahmad) "How would you feel if the Messenger of Allaah e were to turn away from you in disgust and say: “Woe to you! Who ordered you do this?”

The renowned Muslim scholar, Ibn ‘Abdil Barr said: “It is forbidden to shave the beard, only the effeminate do so.” So, oh, shaver - according to the scholars, you are effeminate! In addition to this, ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab Ra, amongst others, would not accept the testimony of a person who shaved his beard. So, oh, shaver - your word is not acceptable in Islaam, you are untrustworthy!

“How would you feel if the Messenger of Allaah e were to turn away from you in disgust and say: “Woe to you! Who ordered you to do this?”

So, after this, oh, shaver, do you still cling to your belief that growing the beard is “only a sunnah” ? May Allaah guide us all to the Straight Path.

Shaving the Beard is an Act of Mutilation!

Imaams Ahmad, Ath-Thawri and Abu Haneefah agreed that if the beard is removed, it is an act of mutilation and that the one who removed it must pay the full diyah or blood money as if he had removed an eye or a limb of the victim. Imaam Al-Bukhaari narrates that the Prophet e forbade robbing and taking property by force and he forbade mutilation.”

The great Muslim scholar, Ibn Hazm said: “They (the Muslim scholars) agreed that shaving of the beard is a form of mutilation, which is forbidden.” Moreover, shaving is disobedience to Allaah’s Messenger e and disobedience to the Messenger e is disobedience to Allaah, for he e said: “Whoever obeys me, has obeyed Allaah, and whoever disobeys me, has disobeyed Allaah.” (Narrated by Al-Bukhaari)

Ibn Taimiyah, the great Muslim Mujaddid (Revivalist), scholar and Mujaahid said: “Shaving the beard is haraam (forbidden) - no scholar has ever permitted it.”

“Shaving the beard is an innovation introduced to the Muslim countries by the Christians, who formerly invaded and conquered the Muslim lands.”

Allaah, Most High says: “We sent no Messenger but to be obeyed by Allaah’s leave” (Soorah 4:64)

Order of Trimming the moustaches

Rasulullah said: “Whoever does not remove any of his moustache is not one of us.” [Classed as Sahih by At-Tirmidhi]

Narrated Ibn Umar (Radhiallaahu Án): Rasulullah said, "To get the moustaches cut 'short is characteristic of the Fitra." [Sahih Al-Bukhari Volume 7, Book 72, Hadith # 776]

Narrated Ibn 'Umar (Radhiallaahu Án): Rasulullah said, "To shave the pubic hair. to clip the nails and to cut the moustaches short, are characteristics of the Fitra." [Sahih Al-Bukhari Volume 7, Book 72, Hadith # 778]

It is narrated about Ibn Umar (Radhiallaahu Án) "Ibn Umar used to cut his moustache so short that the whiteness of his skin (above the upper lip) was visible" [Sahih Al-Bukhari Volume 7, Book 72, Hadith # 780] Unfortunately the Muslims today have adopted the ways of kuffar and made it into a fashion to have big thick moustaches and shaved beards. We should fear Allah and go back to what Rasulullah has ordered us to do. As it is narrated Nafi' (Radhiallaahu Án): Ibn Umar (Radhiallaahu Án) said, The Prophet said, 'Do the opposite of what the pagans do. Keep the beards and cut the moustaches short.' [Sahih Al-Bukhari Volume 7, Book 72, Hadith # 780] May Allah bring the Muslims back on this! Even Ibrahim (AS) used to do this as it comes in the next hadith...

Yahya related to me from Malik from Yahya bin Said that Said bin al-Musayyub said, "Ibrahim, (AS) was the first to give hospitality to the guest and the first person to be circumcised and the first person to trim the moustache and the first person to see gray hair. He said, 'O Lord! What is this?' Allah the Blessed, the Exalted, said, 'It is dignity, Ibrahim.' He said, 'Lord, increase me in dignity!' " [Imaam Malik's Muwatta Book 49, Hadith # 49.3.4]

Bidah of Shaving the moustache

Yahya said that he had heard Malik say, "One takes from the moustache until the edge of the lip appears, that is the rim. One does not cut if off completely so that one mutilates oneself." [Narrated by Al-Bayhaqi, also mentioned in Fath Al-Bari, 10/347] And this is why one should NOT shave the moustache as Imam Malik was asked about the person who completely shaves his moustache, he said that he sees that he should be beaten up, he also said that this is an innovation that appeared between people.

But we should just trim the moustache short as that is the Sunna of our beloved Rasulullah and of Ibrahim (AS) and of the Sahaba (Radhiallaahu Án).

The Beard is a order of Rasulullah [Wajib]

Narrated Nafi' (Radhiallaahu Án) "Ibn Umar (Radhiallaahu Án) said, The Prophet said, "Do the opposite of what the pagans do. Keep the beards and cut the moustaches short." [Sahih Al-Bukhari, Volume 7, Book 72, Hadith # 780]

Yahya related to me from Malik from Abu Bakr ibn Nafi from his father Nafi from Abdullah ibn Umar (Radhiallaahu Án) that the Messenger of Allah, ordered the moustache to be trimmed and the beard to be left. [Imaan malik's Muwatta Book 51, Hadith # 51.1.1] It is clear from the stated ahadith that growing the beard is not only a practice (Sunnah) of Rasulullah but also a command for the Muslims in follow (Wajib).

Narrated Aisha (Radhiallaahu Ánha): Rasulullah said: “Ten things are part of the fitrah: cutting the moustache, letting the beard grow, cleaning the teeth with a siwak, rinsing the nose with water, cutting one’s nails, washing between the finger-joints, plucking the armpit hairs, shaving the pubic hair and cleaning one’s private parts with water.” [Reported by Imaan Muslims in his Sahih Book 2, Hadith # 0502, also reported by Imaam Ahmad, Muslim and the four authors of Sunan ] This hadith further emphasizes the importance of letting you beard grow for a man, as being from the natural guidance (Fitrah) of the human being.

At Tabari reported in a hadith that Kaiser, the King of Persia, after having read the letter sent by the Rasulullah inviting him to accept the faith of Islam, ordered his sub-ordinate Bayon (Badhun), the governor of Yemen, to send two persons to bring the Prophet of Islam before him. Bayan accordingly sent two messengers who according to the fashion of those days were clean shaven and having long moustaches. When they appeared on the scene toward the Rasulullah , he very much disliked the unnatural appearances of those persons and said; "Woe to you, Woe to you. Who ordered you to adopt such appearances? They said; "Our lord Kaiser". Rasulullah then told them "My Rabb COMMANDED me to lengthen my beard and clip my moustaches". [Recorded by Ibn Jarir At-Tabari, and judged to be Hasan (good) by Shaikh Albaani.] SubhanAllah here Rasulullah disliked even looking at a man who has gone against the natural ways and shaved the Beard, while keeping a long moustache. Those of us who shave the beard and keep long moustaches while calling ourselves follower and lovers of Rasulullah should think, would we like Him to be disgusted with us due to this mutilation of the unnatural appearances (Fitrah)? This hadith also makes a point in showing that Rasulullah was ordered by Allah to trim his moustache and grow the beard. This hadith is a refutation for those who claim that growing the beard was a custom of the Arabs and indeed this is an order of Allah upon Rasulullah and an order upon the Muslims by Rasulullah .

The Beard is from the Sunnah of Rasulullah

Narrated Ibn 'Umar (Radhiallaahu Án) "Rasulullah said, "Cut the moustaches short and leave the beard (as it is)." [Sahih Al-Bukhari, Volume 7, Book 72, Hadith #781]

Jaabir (Radhiallaahu Án) reported that Rasulullah used to have a large beard [Sahih Muslim].

Narrated AbuHurayrah (Radhiallaahu Án) "Rasulullah said "Trim closely the moustache, and grow beard, and thus act against the fire-worshippers." [Sahih Muslim, Book 2, Hadith # 0501]

Narrated Abu Sa'id Al-Khudri (Radhiallaahu Án): Rasulullah said, "There will emerge from the East some people who will recite the Quran but it will not exceed their throats and who will go out of (renounce) the religion (Islam) as an arrow passes through the game, and they will never come back to it unless the arrow, comes back to the middle of the bow (by itself) (i.e., impossible)." The people asked, "What will their signs be?" He said, "Their sign will be the habit of shaving (of their beards)." [Sahih Al-Bukhari 9:651] [Fateh Al-Bari, Page 322, Vol. 17th]

Imaam Ibn AbdulBarr (Rahimahullah) Said "If is forbidden to shave the beard, only the effeminate do so." And Umar Bin Al-Khattab (Radhiallaahu Án) and Umar Bin AbdulAziz (Radhiallaahu Án) both did not accept the testimony of a person who shaved his beard. [Quoted in At-Tarikh bu Ibn Asakir]

Ash Shaikh Muhammad Al-Jibaly writes: All the `ulamaa of as-Salaf , including the Four Imams, agreed that shaving the beard is haram (prohibited). They considered shaving it an impermissible mutilation, as has been reported about Umar bin Abdil-Aziz. They used to consider the person who shaved his beard effeminate. Many of them would not accept his witness or allow him to lead the prayers. [The beard between the Salaf and Khalaf]

Imaam Ibn Hazm (Rahimahullah) reported that there was scholarly consensus (Ijmaa) that it is an obligation to trim the moustache and let the beard grow. He quoted a number of ahadith as evidence, including the hadith of Ibn ‘Umar (Radhiallaahu Án) and the hadith of Zayd ibn Arqam (Radhiallaahu Án) in which Rasulullah said: “Whoever does not remove any of his moustache is not one of us.” [Classed as Sahih by At-Tirmidhi]. Ibn Hazm said in al-Furoo’: “This is the way of our colleagues [i.e., the Hanbalis].”

Imaam Abu Hanifah (Rahimahullah) and the Ahnaaf

Imam Muharnmed (Rahimahullah) writes in his book "Kitabul Aathaar" where he relates from Imam Abu Hanifah (Rahimahullah) who relates from Hazart Haytham (Rahimahullah) who relates from Ibn Umar (Radhiallaahu Án) that he (Ibn Umar) used to hold his beard in his hand and cut off which was longer. Imam Muhammed (Rahimahullah) says that this is what we follow and this was the decision of Imam Abu Hanifah (Rahimahullah). (From one of the most authentic books of Hanafi Fiqh "Kitabul Aathaar" with direct quotes from Imaam Abu Hanifah)

Imaam Ibn Abidayn (Rahimahullah) said: "It is prohibited for a man to cut his beard." [Recorded in Radd-ul-Muhtar Vol. #2 Page #418]

In the book Durre Mukhtar it is stated "To trim the beard when it is less than a fist’s length, as done by some western people and hermaphrodites is not permissible in the opinion of all the jurists. To shave the beard as done by the Jews, Hindus and others is also not permissible."

The well known hanafi scholar Moulana Ashraf Ali Thanvi (Rahimahullah) writes, "It is an unanimous verdict for the Ummah that to shorten the beard less than a grip of the hand is (Haraam) forbidden!".

Imaam Malik (Rahimahullah) and the Malikiyyah

Al-Adwi said "It has been reported from Imaam Malik that he hated shaving anything under the jaws, until he said, 'It is from the doings of the fire worshipers (Magians). And it is prohibted (Haraam) to remove the hair of the beard." [Sharh-ur-Risalah with commentary by Al-Adwi]

Shaikh Ahmad Nafarawi Maliki in the commentary of Imam Abu Zayed's booklet states, "to shave the beard is without doubt haraam according to all Imaams", it is also mentioned in 'Tamheed' which is a commentary of "Muwatta" Sunnan Imam Malik (Rahimahullah) that to shave the beard is haraam and among males the only ones to resort to this (practice) are the HERMAPHRODITES! [From the book "At-Tamheed"]

It is also recorded Kitab-ul- Ib’dah [Book containing maliki Fiqh] To shave the beard is haraam and to trim it in such a manner that it changes one’s natural and normal facial features (Less than a fist) is also haraam. And that without doubt the four Madhhabs are agreed that the beard should be lengthened and that shaving it is haraam. [From the book "Kitab-ul-Ib’dah"]

Abu Al-Hasan quotes "Shaving the beard is prohibited, as is cutting it if it causes a (clear) mutilation. But if it becomes oversized, and if cutting it would not appear as a mutilation, then it may be cut; but that would be disliked and contary to that which is better." [Sharh-ur-Risalah]

Imaam Ash-Shafi'ee (Rahimahullah) and the Shafiyyah

Imam Shafi (Rahimahullah) in his Al-Umm states, "To shave the beard is HARAAM". [Al-Umm]

Imaam Ibn Ar’rifaah (Rahimahullah) quoting from Imaam Shafi (Rahimahullah)
It is quoted in Al Ibaab’, that Imaam Ibn Ar’rifaah says that Imaam Shafi, has categorically stated that shaving the beard is haram. (From the book "Al Ibaab")

Al-Athru'i (Rahimahullah)says that the correct position in the Shafi'ee maddhab is that to shave the beard without a valid medical reason is haraam. Similar verdict of prohibition has been issued by Zarakhshi, Baihaqi in his book, Shu’ab Al Iman, and by his teacher Qa’ffal Shashi in Muhasin As Shar’iyyah. [From the book "Shu’ab Al Iman"]

Imaam Ahmad Bin Hanbal (Rahimahullah) and the Hannaballah

It is mentioned in Al-Insaf, Sharh-ul-Muntaha "The Hanbalis agree with exception that it is prohibited to shave the beard."

Shaikh-ul-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah (Rahimahullah) states the opinion of his maddhab (Hanbali Maddhab) in Al-Ikhtiyarat-ul-Ilmiyyah "It is prohibited to shave the beard."

Shaikh As-Saffarini (Rahimahullah) Said "It is agreed in our Maddhab (Hanbali Maddhab) that it is prohibited (Haraam) to shave the beard." [Ghitha-ul-Albab Vol.# 1, page # 376]

The Hannaballah in their famous Al-Khan Wa Hanbli Fatawa state that "to grow the beard is essential and to shave it is HARAAM. This is also stated in other famous books of Hanbali fiqh like Sharahul Muntaha' and "Shari Manzoomatul Aadaab."

Shaikh Ibn AbdurRahman Al Banna stated "Shaving the beard is strictly haraam. This is in the Hanabli Madhab." [From his book "Fathur Rabbani"]

Islamic Scholars emphasis on the beard

Shaikhul-Islam Ibn Taimiyah (Rahimahullah) Stated that: "Shaving the beard is HARAAM". [Al-Ikhtiyarat Al-Ilmiyyah, page 6].

Shaikh-ul-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (Rahimahullah) said: “The Quran, Sunnah and ijmaa’ (scholarly consensus) all indicate that we must differ from the kuffaar in all aspects and not imitate them, because imitating them on the outside will make us imitate them in their bad deeds and habits, and even in beliefs, which will result in befriending them in our hearts, just as loving them in our hearts will lead to imitating them on the outside. Al-Tirmidhi reported that Rasulullah said, “He is not one of us who imitates people other than us. Do not imitate the Jews and Christians.” According to another version reported by Imaam Ahmad Bin Hanbal: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.”

Ibn Hazm (Rahimahullah)
Said "All the scholars of Islam have agreed (Ijmaa)that shaving of the beard is a form of mutilation, which is forbidden. As Allah says in the Quran " No change let there be in Khalq*illah (creation of Allah), that is the straight religion, but most of men know not." [Surah #30;Ayah #30]

Shaikh Albaani (Rahimahullah) stated: It is not permissible for the Muslim to remove any hair from the beard except what the Lawgiver has allowed. It is reported from one of the companions who narrated the hadith, "Leave the beard and trim the moustaches," 'Abdullah bin 'Umar, that he used to remove from his beard what was below a fistful. Apart from that, trimming the beard is against the Sunnah, whether or not the man's beard is pleasing to him, and whether or not it is pleasing to others, for all of Allah's creation is handsome, as in the Sahih hadith, where the Prophet saw a man with a long waist-shirt and ordered him to have his izaar halfway up his shins; the man gave the excuse that he had a defect in his ankles, so the Prophet said, "All of Allah's creation is handsome." (Sahih from Imaam Ahmad and others. This phrase is actually of Quran origin see surah Sajdah # 32 verse #7). According to His Wisdom, Allah has differentiated between men and women, created man with a beard and created women without a beard; He did not do this without reason.

Shaikh Abu Bakr Al Jazari writes: "One should leave his beard until it fills his face (he has a full beard at least one fist), because the Holy Prophet has ordered, shorten your moustaches and lengthen your beards."

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
extinction
04-22-2006, 07:23 PM
inshallah I plan to grow my beard....pray for me that Allah gives me the courage to do so.......

Slave of Rehman
04-24-2006, 08:49 AM
Jazakallah Brother!
May Allah (s.w.t) give u strenth to follow His Path and Follow the Sunnah of Rasuallah (s.a.w).
i m really proud of u brother.
Subhanallah

IbnAbdulHakim
04-24-2006, 08:54 AM
mashAllah, great post. Its a good thing i've got a beard ;D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Slave of Rehman
04-24-2006, 10:46 AM
Jazakallah Brother.
May Allah (s.w.t) accept ur strugle in Deen. inshallah

Abdullah4ever
04-24-2006, 10:52 AM
:sl:

Jazakallah for the post brother. Insha'allah ill get a big beard, i always touch under my chin for hair cause i dont have a beard yet .

IbnAbdulHakim
04-24-2006, 11:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullah4ever

Jazakallah for the post brother. Insha'allah ill get a big beard, i always touch under my chin for hair cause i dont have a beard yet .
lol trust me then akhee once u get one u wont b able to keep ur hands off :statisfie :hiding:

Protected_Diamond
04-24-2006, 11:34 AM
This pamphlet is to emphasize the importance and the length of the beard. Many Muslims have queried regarding this point. I have also found that people prefer keeping a beard in imitation of what's in vogue rather than that prescribed by Nabi (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam). A compilation of this nature has become important because the impact of the western way of life seems to be luring unwary Muslims into such a craze that the importance of the beard itself is being doubted and scoffed at.

To those who feel the issue is trivial to worry about, may ALLAH guide him. But to those who genuinely wish to learn and practice what is right, here are sufficient proofs from the Qur'an, Ahadeeth, and learned scholars.

Concerning Adherence to the Sunnah in the Holy Qur'an:

"O ye who believe! Obey Allah, and obey the Messenger, and those charged with authority among you." (Quran 4:59)

"O ye who believe! Obey Allah and His Messenger, and turn not away from him when ye hear (him speak)." (Quran 8:20)

"O ye who believe! give your response to Allah and His Messenger, when He calleth you to that which will give you life; and know that Allah cometh in between a man and his heart, and that it is He to Whom ye shall (all) be gathered." (Quran 8:24)

"Ye have indeed in the Messenger of Allah an excellent exempler for him who hopes in Allah and the Final Day, and who remembers Allah." (Quran 33:21)

"What Allah has bestowed on His Messenger (and taken away) from the people of the townships,- belongs to Allah,- to His Messenger and to kindred and orphans, the needy and the wayfarer; in order that it may not (merely) make a circuit between the wealthy among you. So take what the Messenger gives you, and refrain from what he prohibits you. And fear Allah: for Allah is strict in Punishment." (Quran 59:7)

Importance of the Beard in the words of Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam):

(1) Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said "I have no connection with one who shaves, shouts and tears his clothing eg. in grief or affication." - Reported by Abu Darda (R.A.) in Muslim, Hadith no. 501

(2) The teachings of Hadhrat Ammar Bin Yaasir, Abdullah Ibn Umar, Sayyidina Umar, Abu Hurairah and Jaabir (R.A.), indicate that ALL used to keep beards that were one fist length or more. Hadhrat Jaabir (R.A.) had said: "We used to grow long beards and only during Hajj and Umrah did we trim them to the required length (i.e. fist length)."

(3) Hadhrat Abdullah Ibn Umar (R.A.) relates that: "He who imitates the kuffar (non-believers) and dies in that state, he will be raised up with them on the Day of Qiyamat (Judgement)." :heated:

(4) Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) says: "Trim closely the moustache, and let the beard flow (Grow)." - Narrated Ibn Umar (R.A.) in Muslim, Hadith no. 498 :brother:

(5) "Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) ordered us to trim the moustache closely and spare the beard" says Ibn Umar.
- Muslim, Hadith no. 449

(6) Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam)said: "Act against contrary to the polythesists, trim closely the moustache and grow the beard.":happy:
- Reported by Ibn Umar (R.A.) in Muslim, Hadith no. 500

(7) Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said "Trim closely the moustache and grow the beard."- Reported by Abu Hurairah (R.A.) in Muslim, Hadith no. 501

(8) Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said: "Anyone who shaves has no claim to the mercy of Allah"- Reported by Ibn Abbas (R.A.) in Tibrabi :X

(9) Hadhrat Abdullah Ibn Umar (R.A.) used to cut that portion (which exceeds the grip of the hand) of the beard.
- Tirmidhi

The Beard according to the Great Imams of Jurisprudence

Hanafi

Imam Muhammed (R.A.) writes in his book "Kitabul Aathaar" where he relates from Imam Abu Hanifa (R.A.) who relates from Hadhrat Haytham (R.A.) who relates from Ibn Umar (R.A.) that he (Ibn Umar) used to hold his beard in his hand and cut off which was longer. Imam Muhammed (R.A.) says that this is what we follow and this was the decision of Imam Abu Hanifa. Therefore, according to Hanafies, to shorten the beard less than a FIST LENGTH is HARAAM and on this is IJMA (concensus of opinion).

Shafi'i

Imam Shafi (R.A.) in his Kitabul Umm states, "To shave the beard is HARAAM." (Shari Minhaj dar Shara Fasl Aqueeqa).

Maaliki

Shekh Ahmad Nafarawi Maliki in the commentary of Imam Abu Zayed's booklet states, "to shave the beard is without doubt haraam according to all Imams." It is also mention in "Tamheed" which is a commentary of "Muatta" (Sunnan Imam Malik (R.A.)) that to shave the beard is HARAAM and among males the only ones to resort to this practice (of shaving) are the HERMAPHRODITES (persons who possess both male and female features and characteristics).

Hanbali

The Hanbalies in the famous Al-Khanie'a Hanbali Fatawa Kitab state that "to grow the beard is essential and to shave it is HARAAM." Also in the Hanbali Mathab books "Sharahul Muntahaa" and "Sharr Manzoomatul Aadaab", it is stated "The most accepted view is that it is HARAAM (prohibited to shave the beard)."

Also note, according to scholars of Islam: "To shave off the beard is unlawful (haraam) and one who shaves his beard is legally speaking an unrighteous fellow (FASIQ); hence, it is NOT PERMISSIBLE to appoint such a man as an Imam. To say Taraweeh behind such an Imam is MAKRUH-E-TAHRIMI (near prohibition)" (Shami Vol.1, p.523)

The Durre-Mukhtar states: "No one has called it permissible to trim it (the beard) less than FIST-LENGTH as is being done by some westernized Muslims and hermaphrodites." (Vol. 2, p. 155). Also, "It is forbidden (haraam) for a man to cut off another's beard." (Vol. 5, p. 359).

Conclusion

Thus, a Muslim who shaves or shortens his beard is like a hermaphrodite, his Imamate near prohibition, his evidence is not valid, he will not have the right to vote or being voted for. Shaving and shortening the beard is the action of non-believers. Imam Ghazzali (RA) says: "Know that the key to total bliss (Saadah) lies in following the Sunnah and in emulating the life of Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) in ALL that issues from him, and in ALL his doings even if it concerns the manner of his eating, rising, sleeping, and speaking. I do say thisin relation to rituals in worship ONLY because ther is no way neglecting the Sunnah reported of him in such matters - but what I say INCLUDES EVERY ASPECT of his daily life." (Kitab al Arbain Addin, Cairo 1344, p. 89). Furthermore, in the Holy Qur'an, Allah told Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) to say:

"Say: "If ye do love Allah, Follow me: Allah will love you and forgive you your sins: For Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Quran 3:31)

The daily recitation of a band of angels of Allah is "Holy is the Being who adorned men with beards and women with braids" (Takmela e Bahr al Raiq, Vol. 3, p. 331)

Lastly, Allah Ta'ala says in the Holy Qur'an: "And when the true believers are called to Allah and His Rasul (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) [to accept and practice the law and commands of Allah and His Rasul (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam)] that he may pass judgement upon them, their ONLY reply is 'We hear and obey.' Such men shall surely prosper." (24:51)

THE CALL IS TO GROW A FIST LENGTH BEARD, LET US HEAR AND OBEY TO PROSPER.

Hamba Allah
04-30-2006, 08:07 AM
So I can't have a moustache? I never knew that.

SirZubair
04-30-2006, 09:50 AM
I thought that according to the Hanifi madhab,

is the minimum requirement? :uhwhat

Mawaddah
04-30-2006, 10:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamba Allah
So I can't have a moustache? I never knew that.

No Akhi, In the Hadeeth the requirement is that you keep the Moustache trimmed But let your beard grow freely. The Prophet peace be upon him used to show his disgust with the people of ...... Rome is it? that they let their moustaches grow long, and so had ordered us to be different from them. So yes, keep a moustache, but keep it trimmed, and grow your beard :)

Mohsin
04-30-2006, 11:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Slave of Rehman

Bidah of Shaving the moustache

Yahya said that he had heard Malik say, "One takes from the moustache until the edge of the lip appears, that is the rim. One does not cut if off completely so that one mutilates oneself." [Narrated by Al-Bayhaqi, also mentioned in Fath Al-Bari, 10/347] And this is why one should NOT shave the moustache as Imam Malik was asked about the person who completely shaves his moustache, he said that he sees that he should be beaten up, he also said that this is an innovation that appeared between people.

But we should just trim the moustache short as that is the Sunna of our beloved Rasulullah and of Ibrahim (AS) and of the Sahaba (Radhiallaahu Án).

Regarding the above, theres different opinions among the imams, not all scholars say you have to have a short moustache, a lot of ulema completely shave their moustaches. But of course witjhout doubt its a sunnah so we should try to have it

format_quote Originally Posted by SirZubair
I thought that according to the Hanifi madhab,

is the minimum requirement? :uhwhat
No as the sister already has pointed out, its a concensus of scholars that we have to grow the beard

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.