/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Jokes

Z
04-22-2006, 10:51 PM
Salaam.

It's no new thing that every once in a while every comedian will make a joke out of Islam or its followers. Question is, is this really offensive?

To you personally, or to your faith. What are your thoughts?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
afriend
04-22-2006, 10:54 PM
Hmmm.....

I don't think I take an offensive joke against my own family, my looks, my status etc. as to be funny...Would you?

Same goes for Islam....

Z
04-22-2006, 11:04 PM
Salaam.

I asked whether you think a joke made about Islam by a comedian (for a laugh) can be classed and should be taken as offensive or not.

Not whether you'd accept a joke that is classed as offensive.

azim
04-22-2006, 11:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Z
Salaam.

I asked whether you think a joke made about Islam by a comedian (for a laugh) can be classed and should be taken as offensive or not.

Not whether you'd accept a joke that is classed as offensive.
Jokes about Islam I would consider offensive, and have found offensive in the past.

Jokes about culture are not offensive and I find quite funny.

I went to see Omid Djalali recently, and really regretted going. Not only did he make jokes regarding Islam, he made some very crude jokes about Mother Theresa and other religious (non Muslim figures) that I found to be offensive as well.

From an Islamic point of view, offended or not, we should at the very least shun jokes about Islam, and if possible condemn them.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
freeze
04-22-2006, 11:20 PM
I agree with the brother above. Jokes about culture is alright, but not about faith.

Safa
04-22-2006, 11:23 PM
:sl:

I'm not sure if I've ever heard a joke about Islam. Most of the jokes I remember were cultural and I thought them quite funny.

But in my opinion jokes about Islam should be avoided. Most jokes come in such nature including lying or make fun of people, so it's likely to be offensive.

:w:

Abdullah4ever
04-22-2006, 11:23 PM
Yes Jokes About Faith Is too much

Muslimaatan
05-01-2006, 03:11 AM
I don't get it wen ppl get offended...they just simply never get over it..like it's the end of the world...n wen u offend som1 u think its no big deal..dunno where im gettin..

Hijaabi22
05-01-2006, 11:34 AM
Salaam.

It's no new thing that every once in a while every comedian will make a joke out of Islam or its followers. Question is, is this really offensive?

well has any1 heard of azhar usman and the likes? maaaaaaan deses dudes are soooooooooooooo funny!! me seen em in concert twice and HE TAKES THE MICK OUTTA MUSLIMS AND PAKIS!!!!!! SUCH A LAFF!!! ITS JUS A LAFF SO NO WAYS DO I TAKE OFFENCE.......THEY COMEDIANS THATS THEIR JOB:giggling:

Halima
05-01-2006, 11:41 AM
Salaam.

Question is, is this really offensive?

Please read..

Islamtoday.Com - Telling jokes & relating humorous anecdotes

Jazakhallah Khair.

azim
05-01-2006, 01:10 PM
Salam.

Does anyone watch Have I Got News For You? I used to watch it and find it funny. The new season started recently and I was just thinking, if the season was running during the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) cartoon events, then they would have definately made jokes regarding that. I sort of realised then that their humour is completely unIslamic. It mocks others and insults them. I have since stopped watching it but I was suprised at how I could do something so unIslamic without even realising. I think the recent events regarding the cartoons have possibly reminded us all that humour is something that we should treat carefully.

afriend
05-01-2006, 01:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by azim
Salam.

Does anyone watch Have I Got News For You? I used to watch it and find it funny. The new season started recently and I was just thinking, if the season was running during the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) cartoon events, then they would have definately made jokes regarding that. I sort of realised then that their humour is completely unIslamic. It mocks others and insults them. I have since stopped watching it but I was suprised at how I could do something so unIslamic without even realising. I think the recent events regarding the cartoons have possibly reminded us all that humour is something that we should treat carefully.
LOL

Have I got news for you is funny......

But yeah...I know for a fact they will have the cartton things on their boards (the pictures from weird artcles).......But I don't think that they will be allowed to do so, as Britain did not publish any of the pictures, so they most likely will; not dare to do so...:)

Sunflower
05-01-2006, 03:07 PM
i thought at 1st that if sme1 said an offensive joke that i wouldnt get offended but a few months ago this comedian came to our college for international womens day and at first she strtd to mock culture..which was funny but then she strtd to mock our religion which i found very offensive she would misquote the qura'an to suit her.... and i think that no matter how much u dont get on wiv ur parents u should not mock and make fun of them like she did... inshallah allah will guide her back to Siradal-mustaqeem..~Ameen

AzN..
05-01-2006, 03:10 PM
Making a laugh about your own religion is a bit foolish isn't?

Sunflower
05-01-2006, 03:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AzN..
Making a laugh about your own religion is a bit foolish isn't?
i suppose it is... but then sme would argue that that is her job to 'laugh' about everything and anything...including ur religion.. Wallahu-Alam

Muezzin
05-01-2006, 03:22 PM
I have no problem laughing at certain Muslims, who may be kind of crazy.

Jokes about Islam itself offend me.

I'm not fond of jokes about other religions either, since they offend others' deeply held beliefs.

Followers of religions, however, are fair game in my opinion.

And before someone gets offended (ha!), I don't just laugh at followers of religions, I find humour in many things, apart from religion itself, rape and cot-death.

Tania
05-01-2006, 03:22 PM
I never heard a comediant saying jokes on religious topic :embar: but i would not consider to be something to laugh about.
I found completely offensive the movies made for Easter about Isus. The way in which its shown his dead, thats very :offended: I prefer don't watch them anymore.

Hijaabi22
05-01-2006, 05:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
And before someone gets offended (ha!), I don't just laugh at followers of religions, I find humour in many things, apart from religion itself, rape and cot-death.
eh?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.