/* */

PDA

View Full Version : *How do YOU learn Quran?*

Malaikah
04-23-2006, 05:42 AM
:sl:

I thought i would start this thread mainly for the people of non-arabic background, so that we can share our techniques that help us to learn the quran.

For me, its very hard to learn the Quran since i dont actually understand arabic... but lately ive changed my technique and i found that my new method is much easier. Instead of just reading the Quran, i listen to it too over and over again when i have the chance. For example this term at uni, it takes me about 40 minutes to get to uni by tram so i thought i could use the time to listen to some Quran. i usually listen to the same surah over and over, and then when i sat down to try to memorise it, i found it soooo much easier to remember it alhamdulilah.

i guess the only problem i found with this method is that its a bit slow when you rely only on listening to help you remember and become more familiar. so i guess combining different methods will work best.

Any one else want to share their techniques? :)

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umu 'Isa
04-23-2006, 05:44 AM
ive just started using that Quran viewer from Load-Islam.. its helped a lot coz it has the transliteration and recitation.. for people who cant read arabic.. like myself :D

Khaldun
04-23-2006, 05:54 AM

Maybe Im not the right person for this thread, but the Quran is such a thing that is learnt "only" from mouth to mouth, meaning that it has always been tought from teacher to student, in the form of a reciatation hence the word "Quran" meaning the reciation all the way from Allah the most high who tought Jibril peace be upon him who tought the Messenger of Allah peace be upon him who in turn tought the companions. To make a long story short, it is almost a must that you learn the Quran from another person listening to how they pronounce certain words etc even the flow will help you memorise the verses easier God Willingly

And certainly We have made the Quran easy for remembrance, but is there anyone who will mind? [Surah Qamar Ayahs 17, 22, 32, 40]

SubhanAllah this verse is repeated 4 times in this one surah, why would Allah stress this point over and over again? Makes you think...

extinction
04-23-2006, 06:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Khaldun

And certainly We have made the Quran easy for remembrance, but is there anyone who will mind? [Surah Qamar Ayahs 17, 22, 32, 40]

SubhanAllah this verse is repeated 4 times in this one surah, why would Allah stress this point over and over again? Makes you think...
excellent point brother ....it really is something to ponder over

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hamba Allah
04-23-2006, 09:08 AM
I want to share with you people my experience. You see when I was a little boy me and my family were transferred to Ghana, Africa. And in Africa, Islam's teaching wasn't as good as back in my native homeland, Malaysia. There wasn't much Arabic classes or Quran classes in Africa. And if there were, it wasn't as good as the ones in Malaysia. I mean in Ghana, I only went to Quran classes like twice a week and I don't even know if what the ustad taught me was right or wrong. For 3 years, this went on

Until I came back to Malaysia, everything changed. When I went to school there were Islam Education and the text book they use are in Jawi (Arabic writtings but language in Malay). I couldn't read! I was so shameful. Not only that but when I went to Quran recital classes, all of the tajwid and the pronounciations I got it all wrong. I was so ashame given the fact that most of my 12 year old friends already know how to read the Quran.

But then I went to classes. I read the Quran every night from Monday to Thursday and on Saturdays and Sundays, I have Jawi and Fardhu Ain classes. My advice is that go find a teacher or somesort. Yes you can learn the Quran by yourself but are you learning it correctly? The pronounciations must be correct. Go find a tutor and he/she can help you to improve your reading. That's what I did and alhamdulillah I can now read the Quran fluently.

Abdullah4ever
04-23-2006, 05:06 PM

For me i have to memorize at least 2 pages miniumum because i go to Hifz Classes everyday. I remember when i started memorizing i thought this would be the hardest thing in my life, but alhumdillah allah made it so easy for me. I first used to memorize a couple of lines for a while then i started doing quarter page, then half, then came the day i had to do 1page and when i used to do one page it took me 3 hours to memorize it. Then i started giong to my teacher and told him my problem and he started teaching me a bit arabic then i took it from there and taught my self arabic. Now i know classical arabic so it became much much easier for me to memorize. So i memorize 3 or more pages a day and it only takes me one hour. The way i memorize is simple really. Memorize a ayah then memorize the next then say the ayah that u previously memorized with the one that u just memorized this go's all the way until the end of memorization

But there is one thing everyone needs to remember when their memorizing the quran .... Revision... Every day or two days go back 1juz or half juz and revise wat u learned previously or else you will forget the quran.

lolwatever
04-29-2006, 11:49 PM
Salams ya Jibnah
Personally i learnt the quran by reciting loudly rather than reading it myself, learning orally is definately the best way to register words in your mind, and it stops you from drifting off.. (i went through this period where i use to read quietly, but every 3min i realised i was thinking about some memory that happend 5 years ago, so i got back to reciting orally). Also... when i memorise aloud, its very common for me to learn 3 pages a day. When i don't read alowed, i barely can master a page. Revision is also best done aloud too (when i say aloud i don't mean scream, u know.. just read it lowly to yourself, with a level that's enough to help u practice tajweed too).

Most of what i learnt actually was done when i didnt understand arabic, when i was 4-7 years old, and to be quite honest my memorisation back then was so much faster and better quality than what it is now. I think i attribute that because i'm a bit of a loser these days in terms of being consistent.

Listening is very good when it comes to modelling your voice to a ceratin tune, i personally can immitate shuraim, Mohamad Ayoub without trouble, as well as coming up with my own voice too (which isnt all that nice ill admit). It didnt help me as much with memorisation though. BUTTTTT it helped my bro.. infact my bros case is so amazing ill leave it to another post.

all the best, remember the hadith that Allah gives the person who struggles to learn the quran double (or 10times) the reward than someone who has arabic as a second language by default. So that's even a greater encouragement for us non arab arabs lol.
wasalam

lolwatever
04-29-2006, 11:54 PM
OK.. my bro.. my younger bro.. when i was 4 i had to start learning Juza Amma.. and my parents gave me a routine, i had to learn (aloud) for atlesat 2-3 hours a day, and they would test me etc. (May allah reward them, even though my dad was working he still took good care of me education wise, both Islamically and secularly).

Anyway.. my younger bro who was 3 yeas younger than me.. was always around and so when i use to recite aloud he was listening (he wasnt forced to.. it's just that he use to be around often), anyway.. subhanallah when i was 7ish adn my parents gave him the homework of learning the Juza Amma... we where VERY blown away because he knew MOST of it already (i remember clearly my brother freaked out at himself when he was reading surat inshiqaq and he was like "mamam mama look at me i know it already" and my parents wher elike 'woa'.

Infact he only had to touch up with revising some surahs and he alerady knew juza amma only by listening, i swear he's never literally opened up the Quran and tried memorisng surahs before he was 4ish.

So i guess some people do have that skill of learning orally, there's an albanian bro i know who couldnt find anyone to teach him so he listened and mashalha he knwos a fair bit too only by listening, now that he foudn osmeone to teach him he's so happy he can fix up his accent and stuff.

lolwatever
04-30-2006, 12:07 AM
oh and lol one more thing, learning quran is definately an excelleentttt way to learning Arabic. I'll tell you guys something

when i was little.. my parents use to teach me the arabic alphabet, and the 'excercise' they use to give to practice applying my alphabets was to read the quran or memorise. They also sent me to 'sunday school' when i was 6ish, which was a bit of a help.

But besides that, ever since i went to school, i never really found Arabic interesting coz i already knew it all, my teachers still comment on "how on earth do you know arabic without a single bit of grammar", and the fact is.. when u erad and listen to quran, you automatically adapt and begin to pickout 'what sounds right', wat sentence structure is correct and what is not. Hence why i can speak classical arabic prety fluently alhamdulilah (mind you i'm not trying to encourage dropping the grammar, its soooo important and it gives ur arabic this neat lustre).

lol hey cheese u remember Mr. Hall in grade 3?? (for the rest of u guys, he was my arabic teacher, he is albanian -convert-himself i think), anyway i was his best student till he gave us a grammar test and i failed miserably and my dad was soooooo :rant: at me and hall was like :?

newayz i still managed to endup with cool marks in arabic final year high school, too bad other kids had to try learning grammar and they still got crap results ;D - i told them to listen to audio, read quran but they didnt listen!!

waji
04-30-2006, 01:49 AM

In the name of Allah, the beneficent, the merciful

The Excellence of Reciting the Qur'an

Quran as an Intercessor

Abu Umamah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: I heard the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) saying, " Read the Qur'an, for it will come as an intercessor for its reciters on the Day of Resurrection .''
[Muslim].

Commentary: This Hadith tells the excellence of reciting the Qur'an and acting upon its injunctions. Intercession (in this Hadath) means that the Qur'an will be endowed with the power of speech by Allah and it will request Allah to forgive the sins of its reciters who acted upon its teachings. Allah will accept the request of the Qur'an, as signified in other Ahadith.

Quran on the day of Resurrection

An-Nawwas bin Sam`an (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: I heard the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) saying, " The Qur'an and its people who applied it, will be brought on the Day of Resurrection preceded with Surat Al-Baqarah and Surat Al-`Imran arguing on behalf of those who applied them .''
[Muslim].

Commentary: This Hadith means that on the Day of Requital, the Qur'an, with Surat Al-Baqarah and Al-`Imran in the forefront, will intercede before Allah for those who used to recite and act upon them in the life of the world.

`Abdullah bin `Amr bin Al-`As (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: The Prophet (PBUH) said, " The one who was devoted to the Qur'an will be told on the Day of Resurrection: `Recite and ascend (in ranks) as you used to recite when you were in the world. Your rank will be at the last Ayah you recite .'''
[Abu Dawud and At-Tirmidhi].

Commentary: This Hadith mentions the merit of those who commit the Qur'an (whole or part thereof ) to memory ( Huffaz). The word ` ascend' here means to rise in ranks in the Jannah. The more one remembers the Qur'an, the more clear and distinct is his recitation of it, the higher would be the status that he will go on attaining through its blessings. Thus, this Hadith provides inducement for the remembrance of the Qur'an and tells us that its frequent recitation is a means to attain higher ranks in Jannah.

One who learns & teaches Quran

`Uthman bin `Affan (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, " The best amongst you is the one who learns the Qur'an and teaches it .''
[Al-Bukhari].

`Aishah (May Allah be pleased with her) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, " The one who is proficient in the recitation of the Qur'an will be with the honourable and obedient scribes (angels) and he who recites the Qur'an and finds it difficult to recite, doing his best to recite it in the best way possible, will have a double reward. ''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: Proficient here means one who reads the Qur'an in accordance with the rules of "Ilm At-Tajwid '' (the science of the recitation of the Qur'an) as is evidenced from the words of Imam Bukhari's narration and the title given to the chapter.

This Hadith also highlights the merit of the reader of the Qur'an who does not know `Ilm At-Tajwid, and for that reason cannot read it fluently. But in spite of this, he reads it with great effort. He will be given double reward, one for the difficulty encountered in reciting it, and another for reading it. Safratun translated in the Hadith as scribes (angels) mean the angels that convey the Wahy (Revelation) to the Messenger of Allah. Imam Bukhari has taken it to mean " one who makes reconciliation ''. The angels who bring Wahy and chastisement from Allah.

Abu Musa Al-Ash`ari (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, " The believer who recites the Qur'an is like a citron whose fragrance is sweet and whose taste is delicious. A believer who does not recite the Qur'an is like a date-fruit which has no fragrance but has a sweet taste. The hypocrite who recites the Qur'an is like a colocynth whose fragrance is so sweet, but its taste is bitter. The hypocrite who does not recite the Qur'an is like basil which has no fragrance and its taste is bitter .''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: This Hadith tells us that a believer who recites the Qur'an and acts upon it, Allah will grant him a high rank. He is loved by Allah and also enjoys public esteem. The believer who does not recite it but acts upon its teachings is also loved by Allah and people. The hypocrite who recites the Qur'an to have a good show has an evil and dark mind. Last of all comes that hypocrite who does not recite the Qur'an and has a dark mind and appearance.

`Umar bin Al-Khattab (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet (PBUH) said, " Verily, Allah elevates some people with this Qur'an and abases others .''
[Muslim].

Commentary: Only such people will be elevated who act upon the teachings of the Qur'an and abstain from what is forbidden by Allah. The Muslims of the early centuries of Islam were blessed with great honour by Allah because they loved and applied the Qur'an. Because of this meaningful attachment with the Qur'an, they made great achievements in religious and worldly spheres. Those who neglected the teachings of Islam will be disgraced and humiliated. May Allah guide and enable us to re-establish our contact with the Qur'an so that we can regain our past glory. Exaltation and humiliation mentioned in the Hadith is bound to happen in both this life and the Hereafter.

Ibn `Umar (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: The Prophet (PBUH) said: " Envy is justified in regard to two types of persons only: a man whom Allah has given knowledge of the Qur'an, and so he recites it during the night and during the day; and a man whom Allah has given wealth and so he spends from it during the night and during the day .''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: This Hadith has been quoted before at two places. It has been repeated here to bring into prominence the merit of reciting the Qur'an.

Al-Bara' bin `Azib (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: A man was reciting Surat Al-Kahf, and a horse was tied with two ropes beside him. As he was reciting, a cloud overshadowed him, and as it began to come nearer and nearer, the horse began to trample violently. The man came to the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) in the morning and mentioned the incident to him. He (PBUH) said, " That was tranquility which descended as a result of the recitation of the Qur'an. ''

Commentary: This Hadith brings out two points. Firstly, the excellence of Surat Al-Kahf (The Cave, No. 18 ). Secondly, the descending of tranquility from Allah on the pious persons. The appearance of a cloud for the tranquility of heart on the recitation of the Qur'an is a supernatural event ( miracle ) to which a pious man does not make any contribution. It entirely depends on the Will of Allah.

Ibn Mas`ud (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, " Whoever recites a letter from the Book of Allah, he will be credited with a good deed, and a good deed gets a ten-fold reward. I do not say that Alif-Lam-Mim is one letter, but Alif is a letter, Lam is a letter and Mim is a letter .''
[At-Tirmidhi].

Commentary: This Hadith urges us to recite the Qur'an and also mentions the great reward for reciting it.

Ibn `Abbas (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, " He who does not memorize any part from the Qur'an he is like the ruined house. ''
[At-Tirmidhi].

Commentary: This Hadith means that the heart of that Muslim is devoid of grace of spiritualism and Grace of Allah who does not remember by heart any portion of the Qur'an, in the same way as a deserted house is deprived of inhabitants and Blessings of Allah. What we learn from this is that every Muslim must remember some portion of the Qur'an so that he is safe from the admonition mentioned in this Hadith.

Source: Riyad Us-Saliheen (Gardens of the Righteous)

safiya0631
05-01-2006, 01:51 PM
im a hafiza and the way i learned it is by reading the ayah loud...also i used to learn one ayah n den learn the next then pray both together n did this until the end..yea somtimes you can get mistakes but i think dis way is the easiest way to learn...wen i started it tokk me ages to learn but gradually as i went along it was easier for me to learn and i nly used to learn a few ayats at the beginning but then i gradually progressed...my ustad told as the best way to learn is by praying loud and listening to tapes.

seeker_of_ilm
05-01-2006, 01:57 PM

Well I was told a few methods....

First one was pray each ayah looking in the night before....30-40 times. Don't concentrate on memorising them, just pray them 40 times each. Wake up in the morning, and learn them in a normal way, and within 15-20 minutes, you should know it fluently.

Another one was to pray the Ayaah 5,7 or 9 times, with extreme concentration staring at the page, and then pray it to yourself looking away for 5,7 or 9 times. Then learn the next one, and then just join them up.

afriend
05-01-2006, 01:59 PM
My way:

Sheikh Shuraim (HA) all the way....;)

Umm-Layth
05-02-2006, 12:19 AM
I grab the Mushaf and I read it with proper tajweed alhamdulillaah and then I play it, and pick up Word for Word and study each word and then read the tafsir. That really helps to make it stick, especially if you do this a few times before moving on to the next surah, alhamdulillaah.

Tip* Always have a teacher, even if it be just to listen to you once in a while. And don't memorize more then you can implement.

extinction
05-02-2006, 04:12 AM
Always have a teacher, even if it be just to listen to you once in a while. And don't memorize more then you can implement
well when i memorized the whole quraan I had no idea what nearly anything meant........

safiya0631
05-02-2006, 11:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by hafizmo
well when i memorized the whole quraan I had no idea what nearly anything meant........
i was like dat but now im reading the english transalation so i know wat it means

Khaldun
05-04-2006, 07:07 PM

You should do your up most to understand the Quran, because its the Speech of Allah and it was the practise of the companions that they never learnt more before acting upon what they had just learnt.

afriend
05-04-2006, 07:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Khaldun

You should do your up most to understand the Quran, because its the Speech of Allah and it was the practise of the companions that they never learnt more before acting upon what they had just learnt.
Subhaanallah!

I think I should do the same too.....

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.