/* */

View Full Version : Al Ghazzali's Books

Shukria
04-26-2006, 02:25 PM
:sl:

I was just wondering if any1 has read any of Imam Al-Ghazzali's books..
I am currently reading 'The Remembrance of Death and the Afterlife - Kitab dhikr al mawt wa-ma ba'dahu'..
Can any1 who has read any of his books, tell me what they thought..
Would appreciate it.

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ibn Abi Ahmed
04-26-2006, 02:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Shukria

I was just wondering if any1 has read any of Imam Al-Ghazzali's books..
I am currently reading 'The Remembrance of Death and the Afterlife - Kitab dhikr al mawt wa-ma ba'dahu'..
Can any1 who has read any of his books, tell me what they thought..
Would appreciate it.

That is an AMAZING book. Really, it scares you very much. Its part of the 7 book series i think..Islamic Sciences or something of the like. Im reading Fiqh Us-Seerah, and its very sweet. I really love his books.

Shukria
04-26-2006, 02:32 PM

I know..It gives u such vivid descriptions….Has truly educated me on the matters of death and all the questioning…Can’t put it down….I learnt some things about the way Prophet Muhammad (saw) died…Only halfway now, I would tell evry1 to read this book..Makes u think..

Khaldun
04-26-2006, 02:43 PM

We should be clear on who Imam Ghazzali is first, I urge all brothers and sisters to read this.

Who was Imam Ghazzali?

Praise be to Allaah.

Al-Ghazzaali was Muhammad ibn Muhammad ibn Muhammad ibn Ahmad al-Toosi, who was known as al-Ghazzaali. He was born in Toos in 450 AH. His father used to spin wool and sell it in his shop in Toos.

The life of al-Ghazzaali needs to be discussed at length because he went through a number of stages. He indulged in philosophy, then he recanted and rejected that. After that he indulged in what is known as ‘ilm al-kalaam (Islamic philosophy) and gained a sound grasp of its basic principles; then he rejected that after it became clear to him that it was corrupt and filled with contradictions. He was focusing on ‘ilm al-kalaam during the period when he refuted philosophy, and at that time he was given the title of Hujjat al-Islam, after he had refuted the arguments of the philosophers.

Then he recanted ‘ilm al-kalaam and turned away from it. He followed the path of the Baatiniyyah (esotericists) and learned their knowledge, but then he rejected that and showed the beliefs of the Baatiniyyah to be false, and exposed the manner in which they tamper with the texts and rulings. Then he followed the path of Sufism. These are the four stages that al-Ghazzaali went through. Shaykh Abu ‘Umar ibn al-Salaah (may Allaah have mercy on him) spoke well of him when he said: “A lot has been said about Abu Haamid and a lot has been narrated from him. As for these books – meaning al-Ghazzaali’s books which contradict the truth – no attention should be paid to them. As for the man himself, we should keep quiet about him, and refer his case to Allaah.” See Abu Haamid al-Ghazzaali wa’l-Tasawwuf by ‘Abd al-Rahmaan Dimashqiyyah.

Read Further

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Shukria
04-26-2006, 02:50 PM
Salam

Shukran for da info..Just like to mention that evryting I read, i take it as a pinch of salt and go research about it later..At da mo, I'm reading this book coz some of the stuff that he says, I've read it somewhere else...The dreams and sufi stuff, not sure about dat..
Obviously I am not gonna believe in everyting he says..But thanx for da info

rubiesand
04-27-2006, 11:45 AM
Imam Ghazali's book 'Remembrance and Prayer' is one of the books I read around the time I embraced Islam. So I remember it with fondness as it is part of my journey to Islam. The best thing about the book is the translation of the Prophet's (salallahu alayhi wa salam) dua's and zikr (supplication to/praise of/remembrance of God). I'd recommend it to anyone who would like to learn why Muslims love their Prophet (salallahu alayhi wa salam) so much.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.