/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Antarctica's Dry Valleys

akulion
04-26-2006, 04:25 PM
Whats the last place on Earth you would expect to find deserts?

Well if you guessed ANTARCTICA the snow covered continent where the south pole lies then you are absolutely correct!

==================

The Dry Valleys of Antarctica

attachmentphp?attachmentid1196&ampstc1&ampd1146068587 -

They are one of the driest places on earth. Rainfall has been extremely rare during the past two million years. When NASA noticed a similarity between the ultra dry landscapes of Mars and the Dry Valleys, it decided to conduct research in these desolate Antarctica valleys in preparation for its Viking missions to Mars.

This 4,000 square kilometer (1600 square mile) area is one of the few Antarctic places not covered with ice.

One reason is the atmosphere is so dry that it rarely snows. When it does, the snowfall is sparse and evaporates quickly.

The second and most important reason is that mountains block the path of glaciers that would otherwise pass over the Dry Valleys. What glacial ice reaches the valleys is skimpy and evaporates within several weeks. If it were not for the mountain barrier, the Dry Valleys would be buried under the ice cap, as is most of Antarctica.

The Dry Valleys are near the Ross Ice Shelf, and even closer to the US operated McMurdo Station. The latter is known for its ecological and environmental research.

There are three major valleys (Taylor, Victoria and Wright), which are separated by iceless mountain ridges.

The valley floors are scattered with small and large rocks. Some of the rocks have been shaped over time into grotesque forms by the valley's strong winds.

The land is not entirely lifeless. Some small scale life (including fungi) have evolved into life forms that live inside the porous rocks.

Amazing or what?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muezzin
04-26-2006, 07:18 PM
Cool. Or, rather, hot.

What be your source for this, Cap'n Akulion?

extinction
04-26-2006, 07:20 PM
Yes me is also wondering as to the source of this...

*Hana*
04-26-2006, 11:23 PM
Salam Alaikum:

Actually, there are tons of sites about this. Here is one with more pics: The Antarctic Dry Valleys

But, you have to remember, it's not because of extreme heat that it's not covered by the ice cap. Conditions in this area can still be very cold and harsh.

Some of the pics in the above link are great!

Enjoy. :)

Wasalam
Hana

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
extinction
04-26-2006, 11:27 PM
thanks sis you see I didnt know about this at all so it seemed strange to see sand in a place where I only imagined ice ice and yes more ice

*Hana*
04-27-2006, 12:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by hafizmo
thanks sis you see I didnt know about this at all so it seemed strange to see sand in a place where I only imagined ice ice and yes more ice
Salam Alaikum:

Yeah, I didn't know about it until the other day actually. lol I was really surprised to learn that. It's very hard to imagine and even harder to imagine a life form of any type able to survive or grow there....and yet, it does. :)

Wasalam,
Hana

FatimaAsSideqah
04-27-2006, 12:11 AM
Thats so amazing...i didn't know that would to happens!

Halima
04-27-2006, 12:13 AM
:sl:

hmmm very interesting.

Out of all things, I would've never expected Antarctica to have dry valleys. I think such things like this occurs b/c of the extreme and harsh climates it has.

:w:

north_malaysian
04-27-2006, 03:51 AM
Muslims can migrate there to breed camels and grow dates palm trees.

root
04-27-2006, 09:48 AM
The land is not entirely lifeless. Some small scale life (including fungi) have evolved into life forms that live inside the porous rocks.
It's great to see religous groups becoming more comfortable with "Evolution".

It's very hard to imagine and even harder to imagine a life form of any type able to survive or grow there....and yet, it does
"life" is a lot tougher and adaptable than you seem to have given it credit for

akulion
04-27-2006, 03:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Muslims can migrate there to breed camels and grow dates palm trees.
lol bro the temps there can reach up to -150 normally and winds are up to 200 miles per hour :p

doubt any humans will be able to live there happily

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!