/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Dissing someones religion is not racism?

MusLiM 4 LiFe
04-28-2006, 05:22 PM
salaam brothers n sistaz :) hope ya'll aite :okay:

i was on this forum 4 teenz etc and we were discussin what we thought of the contreversial pics of our beloved Prophet Muhammad (p.b.u.h) and i said that i though it was simply islamophobic and racist.. others on the board, who i believe are Christians and Athiests said it cant b racism bcuz its got nothing to do with race.. but then i was watchin Islam Channel and the demonstration in Trafalgar Square and Yvonne Ridley said "Some people think this event cannot be racist, but I got some news 4 them ppl, my religion is my race.." etc etc.. what r ur views on this..? do u fink that ur religion can be cast as ur race? i personally think yeh, it was a racist event.. :rollseyes

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
NJUSA
04-28-2006, 05:37 PM
I think that if racism were a motivator for the cartoonists, that it betrays the same type of ignorance that the person who conflated her religion with her race displayed. I am an African American Muslim. Most African Americans are Christian. Does that mean that slurs on Christianity in general are directed at me? No. Islam is often conflated with Arabs or their culture. Does that mean that racial slurs against Arabs are directed at me? No. We need to end the conflation of race with religion, it's done far more harm that good, and unite on the grounds that we are brothers and sisters in humanity.

A(SMILE ITS ME)
04-28-2006, 05:40 PM
Well,
Religion Is A Part Of Us, We Live In Mulicultural Society.respect Each Other Especially Islam,
But No Dissssingggggg!!!!

A(SMILE ITS ME)
04-28-2006, 05:42 PM
Disssing Someones Religion Is Racism,
No Offence But If It Is Not Then What Is???????
What
Tell Me?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
HeiGou
04-28-2006, 05:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by A(SMILE ITS ME)
Disssing Someones Religion Is Racism,
No Offence But If It Is Not Then What Is???????
What
Tell Me?
Well it depends on what form the dissing takes. It could be, after all, informed commentary. But in general you would call it prejudice, bigotry and religious intolerance, but it is not racism unless there is an identity between a race and a religion.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.