PDA

View Full Version : NHS presented Qur'an for Muslim patients

1m@@n
04-29-2006, 06:09 PM
NHS presented Qur'an for Muslim patients

28-04-2006

By Craig Keddie

Galashiels, Scotland, Borders Today:

Around 30 copies of the Koran – the holy book of Islam – have been presented to NHS Borders for use by Muslim patients and staff across the region.

They were handed over on Monday at a special ceremony at Borders General Hospital's Chaplaincy Centre, which was attended by representatives of both the local Islamic community and the health service.

Ron ****, NHS Borders' spiritual care manager, said: "In receiving copies of the Koran today, my hope is that this marks the beginning of a growing contact with local Muslims.

"Like our partners, we are keen to bring together local communities, cultures and people from a variety of religious backgrounds."

Geraldine Strickland, convenor of NHS Borders' spiritual care committee, accepted the Korans – which are published in a variety of languages – on behalf of NHS Borders.

Also present were Noose Sharp, vice-chairwoman of the Borders Equality Forum, Scottish Borders Council's racial equality group chairman George Higgs, and Shoukat Aziz, Muslim community spokesman in Galashiels, as well Mr **** of NHS Borders.

The availability of the Koran at NHS Borders facilities is the latest initiative by the racial equality group.

Already, a celebration of the Chinese New Year has taken place at Langlee Community Centre in Galashiels, and a Muslim public-speaking conference was held in the town two weeks ago.

Mr Higgs explained: "This is not just about the Muslim community, but all religions.

"We're currently trying to make more people aware of minority religions here in the Borders and this, the presentation of Korans, is a sign of our continued success.

"Soon, at the BGH Chaplaincy, we'll be looking to incorporate a variety of other beliefs, including Buddhism and Hinduism, as well as Islam."

There is an estimated 100 Muslims in the Borders and, according to Mr Aziz, the distribution of the Korans is more evidence of an increased level of acceptance in Borders society.

He said: "We are more than happy to assist the racial equality group in helping Borderers develop an understanding and knowledge of our religion.

"And we are particularly pleased to pass on copies of the Koran to NHS Borders.

"This is an important part of our religion and for Muslims.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
------
04-29-2006, 06:11 PM
Kool, at least they doin sumtin 4 muslims. :rollseyes

x Maz x
04-29-2006, 06:38 PM
SubhanAllah...they best have had ablution before handling them otherwise i aint gonna be a very happy bunny :( WalaykumAsalaam x

Nicola
04-29-2006, 06:48 PM
All religious Holy books should be available in all hospitals imo..

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muezzin
04-29-2006, 09:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nicola
All religious Holy books should be available in all hospitals imo..
And hotels!

And plus, they should put them on the tabletop, rather than in the drawer one plans to put one's socks in. :)

afriend
04-29-2006, 09:59 PM
LOL^

Well that's nice of them......

What are they up to???

Or am I just seriously paranoid?

azim
04-29-2006, 10:42 PM
Ron ****, NHS Borders' spiritual care manager, said: "In receiving copies of the Koran today, my hope is that this marks the beginning of a growing contact with local Muslims.
Am I the only who finds the fact his surname was censored? I know it's done automatically but it's still funny.

The Muslim News = source

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.