/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Temptations of a materialistic world

glo
04-29-2006, 09:09 PM
Hi all!

In another thread it was mentioned how materialistic the westerised culture has become, which has prompted me to start another thread.

Jesus had much to say about wealth and the dangers of material possessions.

Generally, Christians tend to believe that it is okay to have material possessions (after all God promised to provide for us!) - as long as they do not become so important in one's life that they distract from our relationship with God.

I am guessing that Islam has similar, if not stricter views on this. (Correct me, if I'm wrong)

My question is, how do you all deal with those temptations?

As a mother I try to protect my children as best I can - and as best as is possible when you live in an urban area surrounded by advertisements, peer pressures, and the like.
For example, we choose family activities which are free, i.e a bike ride and picnic by the river, rather than going to the cinema or the theme park.
We don't have all mod cons (such as a TV in every room) at home - in fact we have neither mobile phones nor a microwave, and don't even watch TV programmes.
And yet my children are affected by the world around them.
My daughter (12) was desperate to get the latest nintendo DS (which she had to save up for), and my son (9) is only too aware of the latest football boot, and which sport label is the most fashionable!

We may not be 'of' this world, but we live 'in' this world.

From threads about mobile phones, cars and Nike on this board, I gather that Muslim kids are equally not spared by Western society.

Kids and parents, I would like to know how you deal with this.

Thanks. :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ghazi
04-29-2006, 09:35 PM
Salaam

Temptation is a word I'm very fimiliar with, I tell you women will ruin any man, the promise of hoors in janna keep me going.

azim
04-29-2006, 09:53 PM
Peace/Salam.

Good thread btw.

Generally, Christians tend to believe that it is okay to have material possessions (after all God promised to provide for us!) - as long as they do not become so important in one's life that they distract from our relationship with God.

I am guessing that Islam has similar, if not stricter views on this. (Correct me, if I'm wrong)
You're right, it is more or less similar. I'm sure at the nitty gritty, there would be differences, but as a general principle, that sums it up as far as my knowledge goes.

As a Muslim, I use a few things to try and keep me in check: -

1) My parents come from Bangladesh, and I try to remember that its just as likely I was born in some mudhut with not enough food in the house for my family. So I try to shun any feelings to attachment to material wealth, but it is something thats very hard and also very subtle.

2)I remember that my provision (wealth in this world) has already been decided by Allah. So I may be rich now, but poor soon.

3) Zakah literally means the purification of wealth. So charity is always a good way to clean oneself of affection towards money.

As a mother I try to protect my children as best I can - and as best as is possible when you live in an urban area surrounded by advertisements, peer pressures, and the like.
For example, we choose family activities which are free, i.e a bike ride and picnic by the river, rather than going to the cinema or the theme park.
That sounds like really good alternatives and good way to teach children the value of things that don't cost.

My daughter (12) was desperate to get the latest nintendo DS (which she had to save up for), and my son (9) is only too aware of the latest football boot, and which sport label is the most fashionable!
I think that's natural, you shouldn't worry about it too much. Although its scary to think of how strong peer pressure can be at such a young age.

We may not be 'of' this world, but we live 'in' this world.
Reminds me of a saying my Sheikh always says: -
"Hold the world in your hand, not in your heart".

From threads about mobile phones, cars and Nike on this board, I gather that Muslim kids are equally not spared by Western society.
*sigh*... we're all fashion victims.

glo
05-02-2006, 08:05 AM
Thank you for your reply. :)
I am surprised there have not been more replies. I was really looking forward to the views of others.

format_quote Originally Posted by azim
Peace/Salam.

As a Muslim, I use a few things to try and keep me in check: -

1) My parents come from Bangladesh, and I try to remember that its just as likely I was born in some mudhut with not enough food in the house for my family. So I try to shun any feelings to attachment to material wealth, but it is something thats very hard and also very subtle.

2)I remember that my provision (wealth in this world) has already been decided by Allah. So I may be rich now, but poor soon.

3) Zakah literally means the purification of wealth. So charity is always a good way to clean oneself of affection towards money.

That sounds like good advice!
What is the Muslim take on charitable giving?
Is it something you do in thanksgiving for all the provision God has given you?
Or do you do it as penance for any sins?

Thanks

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
extinction
05-02-2006, 08:14 AM
well ok I will be honest I am very materialistic...but temptation as far as women go I try to think of the fire of hell.......

syilla
05-02-2006, 08:28 AM
i always think that whatever i do, i do only for Allah...

soo.. for example if i want to spend my money... i'll think is this for Allah... or is it to satisfy my temptations...

if i want to buy the dress - is it because i want to cover up my 'aurat' (not sure of the spelling - hope you understood hafizmo) or only because it is sooo fashionable.

aamirsaab
05-02-2006, 09:42 AM
:sl:
and hello Glo.
There is quite a lot of temptations especially in the younger children (around the ages of 6 to 11) and this is because they see another kid with something and they want it. This then spreads out.

Best way to prevent this from happening is giving your child a slap...I mean an explanation as to why or why not he/she is allowed it e.g. does it benefit them somehow by purchasing the good or is it purely for the fact of having it to make them "fit in". If it is the latter then it really shouldn't be bought and the parent/gaurdian should explain to the child why.

p.s; must purchase goods, must purchase goods, must....

Noora_z3
05-02-2006, 09:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Hi all!

I love ur thread, I hope we all keep posting in here. It addresses a very important issue. I havent seen it before today.

Personally, I keep reminding myself that this is a temporary world n that I might die tonight, so wat am i going to do with all these possisions. Also, I keep readin bout needy brothers n sisters in this world, that motivates me to spend less on myself n spend more on others.

I got married recently, N u cant imagin how hard it was to fight tempations bout furnishing my house. I tell myself is it wrong to have a nice house? n then i am like..but others dont even have food to eat n here I am spending lots of money on peices of furniture..:rollseyes ...n then I am like...but I am not buyin very expensive furniture..so its ok...n then I say...but Muhammad peace be upon him said "dont look at those who r upper than u but always look at those below u"....Its a kind of Jihad...May Allah Guide us all...:sister:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.