/* */

PDA

View Full Version : German Muslim students suspended for wearing Hijab

sonz
04-30-2006, 09:07 AM
A secondary school in the West German city of Bonn suspended two 18-year-old Muslim girls for wearing Hijab, the Islamic headscarf, an education official said on Friday.

The students, both immigrants of Turkish origin, were stopped from attending classes for the next two weeks after an order by principal, Ulrich Stahnke who acted in coordination with the Cologne-based district government.

An unnamed spokesman for the city of Bonn said that the school considered the two girls, who were handed initial suspensions of two weeks, to have disturbed the peaceful running of the school, arguing that the two students' choice of clothing had spurred disruptive debate in the school.

The official added that the two girls would be allowed to return to school if they took off their Hijab, Reuters reported.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Noora_z3
04-30-2006, 09:27 AM
The school authoritis r so insecure, so intolerant n threatned.

Nicola
04-30-2006, 11:02 AM
If they don't like the rules..they should find another school that will accept their code of dress.

rubiesand
04-30-2006, 11:09 AM
Out of sight, out of mind.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Trumble
04-30-2006, 12:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sonz
A secondary school in the West German city of Bonn suspended two 18-year-old Muslim girls for wearing Hijab, the Islamic headscarf, an education official said on Friday.

Incorrect. The girls were suspended for wearing Burkhas, not Hijab.

The full story is HERE. It seems the girls have the support neither of the Muslim Council of Germany or most fellow muslim students, although there are clearly "freedom of religion" issues involved.

Noora_z3
04-30-2006, 02:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
Incorrect. The girls were suspended for wearing Burkhas, not Hijab.

The full story is HERE. It seems the girls have the support neither of the Muslim Council of Germany or most fellow muslim students, although there are clearly "freedom of religion" issues involved.
Hey thanks Tumble for the infromation, I followed the link u posted, its v intresting how fellow muslim students not just not supporting them but also openly showing their dissaproval.

*noor
04-30-2006, 02:47 PM
oh my God!! How can somebody do such a horrible thing- this might force those poor girls to choose between their education and pleasing Allah!!!

have they really "disturbed the peaceful running of the school"???!!!!

this is soooo not right.

snakelegs
04-30-2006, 07:28 PM
irony here is that the last i knew girls were forbidden to wear head scarves to school.....in turkey!

------
04-30-2006, 07:31 PM
A high school in the German city of Bonn has suspended two Muslim girls for wearing a burka, an all-enveloping cloak worn by women in central and south Asia.
For Gods Sake, What the.....do they want? :rant:

Can't they let us wear what we want! Its not like the girls have offended anyone! :heated:

*noor
04-30-2006, 07:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
irony here is that the last i knew girls were forbidden to wear head scarves to school.....in turkey!
i hope you're kidding.

------
04-30-2006, 07:34 PM
The girls have been suspended from school for two weeks, for disrupting lessons.
How are they disrupting?!

Officials say they are welcome to return to school, if they shed their all-enveloping garb.
Well excuse me, this is a freedom of religion.

At the school playground, the appearance of the covered girls confused and annoyed pupils.
Why annoyed? What is it to them?

Arghhhhhhhhhh some people are just so........:heated:

Noora_z3
04-30-2006, 07:58 PM
How are they disrupting?

Why annoyed? What is it to them?

Even though I completly disagree by wat happend to those 2 girls (May Allah help them), but to a point I can understand the kind of reaction they recived. I was in Malaysia for few years, n i was wearing Niqab. U cant imagin the kind of reaction I used to get, I mean these ppl were not used to see girls walkin around coverin their faces. PPl used to literaly stop n look at me with their jaws dropped, or they would point toward my direction as if I was some alien, even kids used to see me n run...that hurt me most, anyways, wen i used to get really irritated i would ask them "wat do u want?' "or can I help u" n if some times toooo irritated I just say "WHAT!". but then inside of me I felt that I should excuse them, they never ever seen some one dressing up like that infront of them.

So I think as muslims we need to increase awarness. Humans tend to get afraid orf things they r not familiar with. So its our responsiblity to infrom them n make them understand the whole thing.

snakelegs
04-30-2006, 08:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nurofislam
i hope you're kidding.
this was the case as recently as 3-4 years ago. it may have changed since, i don't know.
girls were not allowed to wear headscarves to school and women who had government jobs were also not allowed to wear headscarf.
turkey has made almost a religion out of secularism, starting at least with ataturk.
if i am wrong, i hope someone from turkey will set me straight.

Noora_z3
04-30-2006, 08:09 PM
this was the case as recently as 3-4 years ago. it may have changed since, i don't know.
girls were not allowed to wear headscarves to school and women who had government jobs were also not allowed to wear headscarf.
turkey has made almost a religion out of secularism, starting at least with ataturk.

I am not from Turkey, but wat u r sayin is right. it happned approximatly 3-4 yras back as u said. Lots of hijabi girls were given the choice of either stopping coming to Schools, univiersitis or either removing their headscarfs. I know almost 10 girls who were in their final year in the Univeristy in Turkey, but they refused n left the univerisy, later on left the country n came to Malaysia n u wont belive it started again from first year. Tough girls, Masha Allah.

Nicola
04-30-2006, 08:11 PM
This law still applies...I think it has something to do with Turkey wanting to join the EU.

Noora_z3
04-30-2006, 08:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nicola
This law still applies...I think it has something to do with Turkey wanting to join the EU.
Turkey is selling itself just to be where its not welcomed...

snakelegs
04-30-2006, 08:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Noora_z3
Turkey is selling itself just to be where its not welcomed...
i doubt if the EU will ever accept turkey no matter how many headscarves don't get worn!

KAding
04-30-2006, 08:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nicola
Only indirectly. Remember that most countries in the EU do not ban headscarves in public schools, so it wouldn't make sense that they would require Turkey to do so.

This ban on headscarves in Turkey has been in place since the 1930s if I am not mistaken. As such it has little do with Turkeys more recent attempts to join the EU. In fact, the EU's insistence on increased civil liberties does sometimes clash with Kemalist secular attitudes and laws.

However, I do agree that historically the ban on head scarves in Turkey is an attempt at Westernization and secularization. A process which eventually opened up the way for Turkey to eventually join the EU.

Nicola
04-30-2006, 08:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
Only indirectly. Remember that most countries in the EU do not ban headscarves in public schools, so it wouldn't make sense that they would require Turkey to do so.
sorry I didn't mean the EU require this.

snakelegs
04-30-2006, 10:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding

This ban on headscarves in Turkey has been in place since the 1930s if I am not mistaken. As such it has little do with Turkeys more recent attempts to join the EU. In fact, the EU's insistence on increased civil liberties does sometimes clash with Kemalist secular attitudes and laws.

However, I do agree that historically the ban on head scarves in Turkey is an attempt at Westernization and secularization. A process which eventually opened up the way for Turkey to eventually join the EU.
i agree.

knuckles
05-01-2006, 04:17 PM
It's a case of identity and security. While with a hijab the face is shown with a burka it is completely covered. How do you know that the person under that buhrka is the one on your roll call sheet?

Muslim Soldier
05-01-2006, 04:30 PM
This is an example of sexual harrasement

knuckles
05-01-2006, 04:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Soldier
This is an example of sexual harrasement
How?

Muslim Soldier
05-01-2006, 05:08 PM
well the muslim girls are threatened and told to remove thier modest clothes.

knuckles
05-01-2006, 05:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Soldier
well the muslim girls are threatened and told to remove thier modest clothes.
They are allowed to wear a hijab not a Burkha. Isn't this considered modest?

------
05-01-2006, 05:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by knuckles
They are allowed to wear a hijab not a Burkha. Isn't this considered modest?
IN a way yes. IN another way, No.

knuckles
05-01-2006, 05:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aalimah
IN a way yes. IN another way, No.
explain

Nicola
05-01-2006, 05:55 PM
The point is these children must obey the rules of the school..people believe it is unfair..there are much more unfair things going on in this world than what these children can and cannot wear in school.
My sons new school coming this (september) orders the boys cannot have too short a hair cut..no demin coats or jackets are allowed at all...all tracksuits are to be the same from the same supplier.., no chewing gum allowed even in pockets..no going out the school gates at lunch time...
I either abide by those rules or find a school who doesn't have those kind of laws..
I can't go into another country and demand they change their laws for me..I wouldn't dream of it..the same goes here..

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.