/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Pop Culture in the Name of Islam

Far7an
05-01-2006, 01:23 PM
Pop Culture in the Name of Islam
YVONNE RIDLEY
Monday, April 24, 2006

I FEEL very uncomfortable about the pop culture which is growing around some so-called Nasheed artists. Of course I use the term 'Nasheed artists' very lightly. Islamic 'boy bands' and Muslim 'popsters' would probably be more appropriate.

Eminent scholars throughout history have often opined that music is haram, and I don't recall reading anything about the Sahaba whooping it up to the sound of music. Don't get me wrong. I'm all for people letting off steam, but in a dignified manner and one which is appropriate to their surroundings.

The reason I am expressing concern is that just a few days ago at a venue in Central London, sisters went wild in the aisles as some form of pop-mania swept through the concert venue. And I'm not just talking about silly, little girls who don't know any better; I am talking about sisters in their 20's, 30's and 40's, who squealed, shouted, swayed and danced. Even the security guys who looked more like pipe cleaners than bulldozers were left looking dazed and confused as they tried to stop hijabi sisters from standing on their chairs. Of course the stage groupies did not help at all as they waved and encouraged the largely female Muslim crowd to "get up and sing along." (They're called 'Fluffers' in lap-dancing circles!)

The source of all this adulation was British-born Sami Yusuf, who is so proud of his claret-colored passport that he wants us all to wave the Union Jacks. I'm amazed he didn't encourage his fans to sing "Land of Hope and Glory." Brother Sami asked his audience to cheer if they were proud to be British ,and when they responded loudly, he said he couldn't hear them and asked them to cheer again.

How can anyone be proud to be British? Britain is the third most hated country in the world. The Union Jack is drenched in the blood of our brothers and sisters across Iraq, Afghanistan, and Palestine. Our history is steeped in the blood of colonialism, rooted in slavery, brutality, torture, and oppression. And we haven't had a decent game of soccer since we lifted the World Cup in 1966.

Apparently Sami also said one of the selling points of Brand UK was having Muslims in the Metropolitan Police Force! Astafur'Allah! Dude, these are the same cops who have a shoot-to-kill policy and would have gunned down a Muslim last year if they could tell the difference between a Bangladeshi and a Brazilian. This is the same police force that has raided more than 3000 Muslim homes in Britain since 9/11. What sort of life is there on Planet Sami, I wonder? If he is so proud to be British, why is he living in the great Middle Eastern democracy of Egypt?

Apparently the sort of hysteria Sami helped encourage is also in America, and if it is happening on both sides of the Atlantic, then it must be creeping around the globe and poisoning the masses. Islamic boy bands like 786 and Mecca 2 Medina are also the subject of the sort of female adulation you expect to see on American Pop Idol or the X-Factor. Surely Islamic events should be promoting restrained and more sedate behavior.

Do we blame the out-of-control sisters? Or do we blame the organizers for allowing this sort of excessive behavior which demeans Islam? Or do we blame the artists themselves?

Abu Ali and Abu Abdul Malik, struggling for their Deen, would certainly not try to whip up this sort of hysteria. Neither would the anonymous heroic Nasheed artists who sing for freedom; check out Idhrib Ya Asad Fallujah, and you will know exactly what I mean.

Fallujah is now synonymous with the sort of heroic resistance that elevated the Palestinians of Jenin to the ranks of the resistance written about in the Paris Communeand the Siege of Leningrad. The US military has banned the playing of any Nasheeds about Fallujah because of the power and the passion it evokes.

If those Nasheeds had sisters running in the streets whooping and dancing, however, the Nasheeds may be encouraged because of haram activity surrounding them.

Quite frankly, I really don't know how anyone in the Ummah can really let go and scream and shout with joy at pleasure domes when there is so much brutality and suffering going on in the world today.

The rivers of blood flow freely from the veins of our brothers and sisters from across the Muslim world. Screaming and shouting the names of musical heroes drown out the screams coming from the dungeons of Uzbekistan where brothers and sisters are boiled alive in vats of water.

How many will jump up and down and wave their arms in the air, shouting wildly for justice for our kin in Kashmir, Afghanistan, Chechnya, Palestine, and Iraq? There are many more killing fields as well across the Asian and Arab world. Will you climb on theater chairs and express your rage over Guantanamo Bay and other gulags where our brothers and sisters are being tortured, raped, sodomized, beaten, and burned?

Or will you just switch off this concerned sister and switch on to the likes of Sami Yusuf because he can sell you a pipe dream with his soothing words and melodic voice?

Oh, Muslims, wake up! The Ummah is not bleeding; it is hemorrhaging.
Listen not to what is haram. Listen to the pain of your global family.

www.DailyMuslims.com

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
afriend
05-01-2006, 01:30 PM
The reason I am expressing concern is that just a few days ago at a venue in Central London, sisters went wild in the aisles as some form of pop-mania swept through the concert venue. And I'm not just talking about silly, little girls who don't know any better; I am talking about sisters in their 20's, 30's and 40's, who squealed, shouted, swayed and danced. Even the security guys who looked more like pipe cleaners than bulldozers were left looking dazed and confused as they tried to stop hijabi sisters from standing on their chairs. Of course the stage groupies did not help at all as they waved and encouraged the largely female Muslim crowd to "get up and sing along." (They're called 'Fluffers' in lap-dancing circles!)
It's a good job I didn't let my mum go to that event :mad: :rant: So much for 'Islamic' event.....:(

The source of all this adulation was British-born Sami Yusuf, who is so proud of his claret-colored passport that he wants us all to wave the Union Jacks. I'm amazed he didn't encourage his fans to sing "Land of Hope and Glory." Brother Sami asked his audience to cheer if they were proud to be British ,and when they responded loudly, he said he couldn't hear them and asked them to cheer again.
What's goin on man??????

Why are the 'good' people turnign bad??? :'(

How can anyone be proud to be British? Britain is the third most hated country in the world. The Union Jack is drenched in the blood of our brothers and sisters across Iraq, Afghanistan, and Palestine. Our history is steeped in the blood of colonialism, rooted in slavery, brutality, torture, and oppression. And we haven't had a decent game of soccer since we lifted the World Cup in 1966.
Too right!!

Nationalism is a terrible thing.....Sadly we indulge blindly into this act...:(

Do we blame the out-of-control sisters? Or do we blame the organizers for allowing this sort of excessive behavior which demeans Islam? Or do we blame the artists themselves?
Good question! Who is to blame?

The rivers of blood flow freely from the veins of our brothers and sisters from across the Muslim world. Screaming and shouting the names of musical heroes drown out the screams coming from the dungeons of Uzbekistan where brothers and sisters are boiled alive in vats of water.
:'(

It's terrible, a few weeks ago, there was this brother Yvonne Ridley was interviewing...Subhaanallah...if u hear his story..:'(

Bro Far7an...I got to hand it to ya!

Jazakallah khair akhi!

Far7an
05-01-2006, 01:32 PM
:sl:

Bro Far7an...I got to hand it to ya!
It was written by Yvonne Ridley, not myself. :brother:

afriend
05-01-2006, 01:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Far7an

It was written by Yvonne Ridley, not myself. :brother:
LOL

I wouldn't have been surprised if it was written by u :p

Jokes...

You went thru the trouble of posting it up :p

So for that, jazakallah khair.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hijaabi22
05-01-2006, 02:06 PM
da sis is talkin bout the evenin of inspiration and i had such a laff!! But wat shes sayin is true.... and im a big fan of sami yusuf so [S]no comment[/S]

x Maz x
05-01-2006, 02:12 PM
Tobah Tobah InshAllah we all take heed and repent...Allah guide all them souls...JazakAllah Khair for that brother ;) Respecttttttttttttt going out to Yvonne man i love that ukhty...she's an inspiration WalaykumAsalaam x

Silver Pearl
05-01-2006, 02:18 PM
I think it would be wrong for us to be judgemental of the nasheed artists. Surely it is our place as muslims to make them see their errors and like-wise for the sisters who switch into hysteria as though the sweet smell of jannah had just engulfed their bodies.

Perhaps as Muslims on this board we could try and create a pamphlet urging muslims to spend their time wisely and instead of going wild in islamic concerts to weep in fear of Allah (subhana wa ta’ala).

At the end of the day it up to us to make a difference, no point in spotting the error and just sitting back and hoping for a miracle.

May Alalh (subhana wa ta’ala) reward Yvonne and barakallahu feekum Far7an.

:wasalamex

x Maz x
05-01-2006, 02:20 PM
True say it isnt...but the first step is acknowledging the fact that its wrong..the more ignorant of us dont even do that :) WalaykumAsalaam x InshAllah give dawah ;)

Hijaabi22
05-01-2006, 02:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Far7an
YVONNE RIDLEY
Monday, April 24, 2006

www.DailyMuslims.com
BLAME THE SO CALLED SISTERS HU DROOL OVER THE GUY AND THROW ROSES AT HIM :rollseyes :rollseyes :rollseyes

Jeez im such a hyprocrite :rollseyes

ok blame the likes of me.......ASTAGFIRULLAH.....Hey i jus sang along to his nasheeds and screamed YEAAAAAAAHHHHHHH when he goes ARE U PROUD TO BE MUSLIM:okay:

IbnAbdulHakim
05-01-2006, 02:23 PM
i feel a mixture of anger and depression :(

so many muslims hav shamed our religion :'(

Hijaabi22
05-01-2006, 02:29 PM
:rollseyes
format_quote Originally Posted by Abd'Majid
so many muslims hav shamed our religion :'(
Yeah :rollseyes :rollseyes

I dunno wat to say about these nasheed artists cos they jus duin it aaaaaaallllll for the cause of Islam and personally 4 me theyve helped me alot...... and as 4 these nasheeds concerts i bin to many, and i gta admit this 1 that yvonne ridley has written about was a bit over the top and it definitely was cos of sami yusuf but the bro did nothing wrong apart from praise Allah(swt) and his prophet (pbuh).....As he said in one interview wat does he do? [S]DANCE?:rollseyes [/S]

But hey [BANANA]im gna shut up now [/BANANA]

x Maz x
05-01-2006, 02:30 PM
We shame ourselves...Ya ALlah i was reading about the companions of the Prophet...Kasme they were the real heroes of Islam..i look at myself and i think raaaaagz where have i gone wrong :'( :'(...WalaykumAsalaam x

At the end of the day..we've gone through the topic of Music several times...repeating and publicising his sins aint going to help right? agreed?...well nex thing is to give dawah AGAINST music and show what Islam teaches us InshAllah WalaykumAsalaam

Far7an
05-01-2006, 02:37 PM

Apart from the artist who has already been mentioned, who by the way, said himself he is NOT a munshid (one who sings nasheed) in a televised interview. Rather he said his latest album is "pop, if you like". There are others who also use instruments in their nasheed. And I just want to make clear that good intentions DO NOT make a sin lawful.

This hadith which has been used to remind others time and time again.

The Prophet (Allah's peace and blessings be upon him) said,

"There will be [at some future time] people from my Ummah [community of Muslims] who will seek to make lawful: fornication, the wearing of silk, wine-drinking and the use of musical instruments [ma'aazif]. Some people will stay at the side of the mountain and when their shepherd comes in the evening to ask them for his needs, they will say, 'Return to us tomorrow.' Then Allah will destroy them during the night by causing the mountain to fall upon them, while He changes others into apes and swine. They will remain in such a state until the Day of Resurrection."
At the end of the day it up to us to make a difference, no point in spotting the error and just sitting back and hoping for a miracle.
No doubt, which is why we need to constantly remind others. The youth need to get involved in events organised by our ISOC or MSAs.

May Allah guide us all, and grant us all wisdom and knowledge to deal with this fitna.

afriend
05-01-2006, 02:39 PM
Yes....they think if it is labelled as 'Islamic' it makes it ok....

example:

Halal mortgages...In other words....Halal Ribaa

x Maz x
05-01-2006, 02:41 PM
Ameen...Second that Brother! :)...Its good to know that the majority have established this WAS and eveining of fitnah without doubt...but now it should be our top priority to guide the Muslim Youth onto Siratum Mustakeem InshAllah WalaykumAsalaam x

afriend
05-01-2006, 02:45 PM
Yeah.....Fitnah from the start....

I mean the seating arrangements was enough to make you go "NO WAY"

Sunflower
05-01-2006, 02:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram
Yeah.....Fitnah from the start....

I mean the seating arrangements was enough to make you go "NO WAY"
thats tru... there were men sitting nxt 2 women..although they could have sorted it out by moving about sightly but no1 wanted 2 do that..Astagfirullahi-atheem

x Maz x
05-01-2006, 02:59 PM
Yeh point stated and acknowledged...now solution to improve InshAllah WalaykumAsalaam x

Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-01-2006, 03:02 PM

Just a reminder to some members, dont let your discussion lead to backbiting, as that is a greater sin then what they are doing.

:w:

S_87
05-01-2006, 03:13 PM

fantastic article very well written!

*LJ*
05-01-2006, 03:31 PM
Asalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu,

That was a good post, jazakAllah khair. I went to one of the concerts (astaghfirAllah, I don't know whether I should have or not :-\) and I felt pretty uncomfortable to be honest. Of course, the concerts were for charity and there was a lot of talk about Islamic Relief and lots of money was raised (I think it was at least £30,000 when I went not including ticket sales) but I'm not sure if the good outweighed the bad in this situation. I think of they had organised another event (a series of talks or something) then that would have been better. I don't know:?

Its hard when so many people don't seem to have a problem with it :(

Salam

x Maz x
05-01-2006, 03:32 PM
Good responce Ahmed ;) WalaykumAsalaam x

we need 2 unite
05-01-2006, 03:59 PM
its is important to bear in mind that all nasheeds isnit haram, as i think that some artists dont use music in the background, therefore it is not haram as long as we dont go over the top in listening to it more than we read or listen to the quran. for me when i started to practise i found it difficcult to stop listening to music cause i used to listen to it all the time, but then i started listening to halal nasheeds that didnt play music and so fourth. and i think that youths especially can learn alot from nasheeds. but this doesnt mean that all nasheeds are halal, because an halal nasheed can turn haram, if you go over the top, if it plays music. i think that we should look at ourselfs before we blame nasheeds totally. its how we respond and how sme people look up at these artists that makes it haram. with concerts i dont totally agree because although might be good intention at first causes alot of fitnah. inshallah allah guides us all, and keep us in the straight path. inshallah allah forgives me if is aid anything, wrong but just to note out this is my opinion.

Hijaabi22
05-01-2006, 05:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *LJ*
Asalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu,

That was a good post, jazakAllah khair. I went to one of the concerts (astaghfirAllah, I don't know whether I should have or not :-\) and I felt pretty uncomfortable to be honest. Of course, the concerts were for charity and there was a lot of talk about Islamic Relief and lots of money was raised (I think it was at least £30,000 when I went not including ticket sales) but I'm not sure if the good outweighed the bad in this situation. I think of they had organised another event (a series of talks or something) then that would have been better. I don't know:?

Its hard when so many people don't seem to have a problem with it :(

Salam
SIS DID U GO 2 DA BRADFORD 1?

format_quote Originally Posted by ------------
BLAME THE SO CALLED SISTERS HU DROOL OVER THE GUY AND THROW ROSES AT HIM :rollseyes :rollseyes :rollseyes

Jeez im such a hyprocrite :rollseyes

ok blame the likes of me.......ASTAGFIRULLAH.....Hey i jus sang along to his nasheeds and screamed YEAAAAAAAHHHHHHH when he goes ARE U PROUD TO BE MUSLIM:okay:
[S]i hope no1 misinterpreted my posts..... i soooooo didnt scream at him nor drool i jus like his performance [/S]

[BANANA]AND ANYWAYS WEVE HAD DIS DISCUSSION IN ANOTHER THREAD[/BANANA]

*LJ*
05-01-2006, 09:10 PM
SIS DID U GO 2 DA BRADFORD 1?
Salamu alaikum.
No it was Cardiff, sister.
Salam:)

Hijaabi22
05-01-2006, 09:11 PM
[BANANA]oh cool cos we raised 30 grand down here 2 not includin sales ticket...... gess sum gud did cum out of it then[/BANANA]

BlissfullyJaded
05-01-2006, 09:51 PM

gess sum gud did cum out of it then
She didn't deny good came out of it. But doing good and bad at the same time, does not make the bad turn into good. You cannot justify the bad by stating something good came out of it. :) Money can be raised in halaal means. During the Battle of Tabuk, when assistance was needed in terms of wealth, was haraam done? No. Sayyidina Rasulullah (Salallahu Alayhi Wasallam) asked and that point Abu Bakr (Radiallahu Anhu) came forth and gave everything he had. Umar (Radiallahu Anhu) gave half of all that had. They didn't need inter-mixed musical shows to raise funds for a noble cause.

Do we love Sami Yusuf more then Sayyidina Rasulullah (Salallahu Alayhi Wasallam)? I think we all know the answer to that. I hope.

Welllllllllll if u like,listen
if u dont,dont listen
We should not listen, and we should also encourage our brothers and sisters to abstain from that which is wrong. :)

And I'm not targetting you in particular sis. Your posts just became a means for me to say that. :p :)

This article raised many good points mashaAllah. Jazakallah khair for sharing brother. :thumbs_up

x Maz x
05-02-2006, 04:46 AM
MashAllah Labibah Well said yaar [friend] WalaykumAsalaam x

Hijaabi22
05-02-2006, 07:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Labibah

Do we love Sami Yusuf more then Sayyidina Rasulullah (Salallahu Alayhi Wasallam)? I think we all know the answer to that. I hope.
no offence but it really [LANGUAGE] me off when ppl say stuff like dat

format_quote Originally Posted by Labibah
:We should not listen, and we should also encourage our brothers and sisters to abstain from that which is wrong. :)

And I'm not targetting you in particular sis. Your posts just became a means for me to say that. :p :).
yeah sis nyc 1 u talkin sense

its ok im used 2 ppl targetin my posts on nasheed issues etc etc

IbnAbdulHakim
05-02-2006, 08:51 AM
no offence but it really pi**z me off when ppl say stuff like dat
but sis, in all due respect its true :eek:

Hijaabi22
05-02-2006, 12:44 PM
but sis, in all due respect its true :eek
NO I MEANT WHEN THE SIS SAID

Do we love Sami Yusuf more then Sayyidina Rasulullah (Salallahu Alayhi Wasallam)?
WEN PPL SAY STUFF LIKE DAT IT REALLY Pz ME OFFF:rant:

IbnAbdulHakim
05-02-2006, 12:48 PM
NO I MEANT WHEN THE SIS SAID

WEN PPL SAY STUFF LIKE DAT IT REALLY Pz ME OFFF:rant:
ye i kno but wiv all due respect its true :eek:

S_87
05-02-2006, 12:51 PM
no offence but it really pi**z me off when ppl say stuff like dat

why? :) because it rings true?

S_87
05-02-2006, 12:55 PM
sayin i like the guys nasheeds

ok sister im sorry if i offended you but sister labibahs statement was a v though provoking and totally valid sentence

sorry if i hurt you :-[

Shukria
05-02-2006, 12:57 PM
Salaam
We shouldn't be targeting specific people but advice all of the Ummah not to listen nasheeds such as Sami Yusuf as this takes the whole point of praising Allah and the Prophet (saw)...In ma opinion, these kinds of nasheeds would go to a different path and Lil gals might even start putting the posters of nasheed artists on their wall....

IbnAbdulHakim
05-02-2006, 01:01 PM
wat u sayin? dat ppl luv sami yusuf more then the prophet pbuh? astagfirullah tauba!! say what u wanna

jus dont aim these dumb fin comments my way
love the prophet saws enuff to avoid the doubtful, musik certainly is the doubtful :).

Audhubillah himinash shaytaanir rajeem. plz dont be angry, we arent sayin anythin to institute anger :)

Hijaabi22
05-02-2006, 01:02 PM
say wat u want about the guy

[S]jus dont diss every1 else whilst ya at it[/S]

------
05-02-2006, 01:04 PM
Then If you don't sis, with all due respect, he uses music in his nasheeds which the Prophet said is haraam, so we shouldn't lisn to them.

Hijaabi22
05-02-2006, 01:06 PM
u know wat guys ive had dis convo sooooooooo many tyms im gettin bored of it

jazakallah 4 da advice

may allah(swt) reward u all

with all due respect:

[S]IM OUTTA HERE![/S]

------
05-02-2006, 01:07 PM

jazakallah 4 da advice

with all due respect:

[S]IM OUTTA HERE![/S]
No offence sis but the more you run away from the truth, the more Shaytan will be pleased.

IbnAbdulHakim
05-02-2006, 01:09 PM

jazakallah 4 da advice

with all due respect:

[S]IM OUTTA HERE![/S]
*gulp*

this is what happens when i try tell my friends this too :(

Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-02-2006, 01:27 PM

Please keep in mind these rules:

Honourable and dignified behaviour must be observed at all times, especially when replying to a post by a member of the opposite gender. 10% warning

Beef will not be tolerated in any forum. Differences in opinion are expected, but please debate respectfully. (Beef are comments made for the purpose of insulting somebody else with negative intent, looking for a negative reaction, or blatantly insulting somebody) 15-25% warning

Goku
05-02-2006, 01:40 PM
MashAllah thats a great article, and coming from a British revert to Islam, can you imagine how hard it must be for people like Yvonne to give up everyday "pleasures" like music and actually speak against it? May Allah reward her, Ameen.

Hijaabi22
05-02-2006, 03:07 PM
I Got 30% Warn All Cos Of Dis Thread Im So Upset

[banana]im Sorry If I Offended Any1 :([/banana]

I'm Sorry

czgibson
05-02-2006, 03:17 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Goku
MashAllah thats a great article, and coming from a British revert to Islam, can you imagine how hard it must be for people like Yvonne to give up everyday "pleasures" like music and actually speak against it? May Allah reward her, Ameen.
I agree, it must be hard. Music is usually regarded as something good in British culture, and in Western culture generally.

I'm not thinking of reverting (for many reasons), but if I were, then the prospect of having to give up music would be one of the hardest things about it, I think. I play guitar, piano and violin, and have done for years; I listen to music of all kinds (except chart pop); I regularly attend classical, blues, jazz, dance and rock concerts. I don't think there's anything wrong with any of this - on the contrary I feel it's all been beneficial and actually a huge inspiration in my life.

There is no question of me ever giving up music.

Peace

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-03-2006, 08:52 AM
Wow, i really felt that. I gave up listening to nasheeds a while ago, as I was kind of addicted! I need to print this out and show it to someone I know who thinks music in nasheeds is all right.
Jazak-Allah for posting that up akhee.

F.Y.
05-03-2006, 10:26 AM
This is on of the most confronting sentences I have ever read. Hemorrhaging - wow.
Mashallah, thanks for the great read - hope we all learned something!
Peace

mizan_aliashraf
05-03-2006, 11:17 AM
Salam
How can someone like Yvonne Ridley comment on the so-called 'nasheed' industry when she goes to every event where these 'nasheeds' are played. Every event where some artist or other performs she is there, along with all the other british moderates, so she is nobody to comment on the situation. Just pure double standards
Wassalam

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-03-2006, 11:18 AM
Perhaps she's there to critic them akhee?:?

mizan_aliashraf
05-03-2006, 11:23 AM
Salam
I doubt it, most of the time she's up on stage congratulating the 'singer'. And most of these so-called events (pop concerts) are free-mixed. Its sad to say, but 'british' muslims are starting to lose that sense of shame that we once had. They are starting to embrace 'british' culture and the 'british' way of life. Im mentioning british because that is where i am and that is what i see. What we have is greater than what the kuffar have, but we don't appreciate it.
May Allah guide us all
Wassalam

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-03-2006, 11:34 AM
Ameen, it may be that Allah showed her the way akhee. May he guide us all!

Rabi'ya
05-03-2006, 12:23 PM
SubhanAllah

Sister yvonne really knows how to say things...I love this sister. May Allah bless her....ameen

Shes saying exactly what the true Muslim population feel about Sami Yusuf.

I hope we can all learn something from her. I know i can - i love her articles and speeches and she surely knows how to put things.

Rabi'ya:rose:

Ansar Al-'Adl
05-03-2006, 01:52 PM

Music definitely has become a central aspect of western culture.

On that topic, I was watching a BBC documentary entitled Turning Muslim in UK (as it turns out, Yvonne Ridley is in it as well). The third person interviewed is John Standing, now Jamal-ud-Deen. He studied music for three years and intended a career as a rock star. After converting to Islam he choose to leave all of that, knowing that it was a controversial issue. Sacrificing three years of one's life is definitely not easy, May God reward Him.
Then there are others like Yusuf Islam (formerly Cat Stevens) and Dawud Wharnsby Ali who maintain some of their musical interests after their conversion.

There are many Muslims living in the west who grow up just as addicted to music as the non-muslims, if not more. I've found that when giving Da'wah to such Muslims, if you tell them to focus on their relationship with God and learning their religion they will naturally leave music. Once someone becomes more focused on their religion, they abandon these things by themselves.

mizan_aliashraf
05-03-2006, 02:43 PM
Salam
Wise words akhee
Jazakallah Khayr
Wassalam

x Maz x
05-03-2006, 07:41 PM
"Give up what is doubtful to you for that which is not doubtful; for truth is peace of mind and falsehood is doubt". [At-Tirmidhi].

"Say what is true, although it may be bitter and displeasing to people." (Baihaqi)

*LJ*
05-03-2006, 08:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl

There are many Muslims living in the west who grow up just as addicted to music as the non-muslims, if not more. I've found that when giving Da'wah to such Muslims, if you tell them to focus on their relationship with God and learning their religion they will naturally leave music. Once someone becomes more focused on their religion, they abandon these things by themselves.
Asalamu alaikum,

JazakAllah, thats a very good piece of advice. The same happened to me, I never intended to give up music, but once I started learning more about Islam it just seemed to disappear. All the things in Western music just didn't appeal to me anymore. However, I think it is more difficult for people to stop listening to 'nasheeds'. I pray Allah keeps us all on the straight path, ameen.

Salam:)

Hijaabi22
05-03-2006, 10:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mizan_aliashraf
Salam
How can someone like Yvonne Ridley comment on the so-called 'nasheed' industry when she goes to every event where these 'nasheeds' are played. Every event where some artist or other performs she is there, along with all the other british moderates, so she is nobody to comment on the situation. Just pure double standards
Wassalam
dats soo true!! jus recent;y an event was organised on the islam channel and her face was plastered all ova the advert

Dawud_uk
05-04-2006, 05:53 AM
Taken from Islamicawakening.com

Yvonne Ridley
Article ID: 1261 | 213 Reads

Monday, April 24, 2006

I FEEL very uncomfortable about the pop culture which is growing around some so-called Nasheed artists. Of course I use the term 'Nasheed artists' very lightly. Islamic 'boy bands' and Muslim 'popsters' would probably be more appropriate.

Eminent scholars throughout history have often opined that music is haram, and I don't recall reading anything about the Sahaba whooping it up to the sound of music. Don't get me wrong. I'm all for people letting off steam, but in a dignified manner and one which is appropriate to their surroundings.

Apparently Sami also said one of the selling points of Brand UK was having Muslims in the Metropolitan Police Force! Astagfir'Allah! Dude, these are the same cops who have a shoot-to-kill policy and would have gunned down a Muslim last year if they could tell the difference between a Bangladeshi and a Brazilian. This is the same police force that has raided more than 3000 Muslim homes in Britain since 9/11. What sort of life is there on Planet Sami, I wonder? If he is so proud to be British, why is he living in the great Middle Eastern democracy of Egypt?

Apparently the sort of hysteria Sami helped encourage is also in America, and if it is happening on both sides of the Atlantic, then it must be creeping around the globe and poisoning the masses. Islamic boy bands like 786 and Mecca 2 Medina are also the subject of the sort of female adulation you expect to see on American Pop Idol or the X-Factor. Surely Islamic events should be promoting restrained and more sedate behavior.

Abu Ali and Abu Abdul Malik, struggling for their Deen, would certainly not try to whip up this sort of hysteria. Neither would the anonymous heroic Nasheed artists who sing for freedom; check out Idhrib Ya Asad Fallujah, and you will know exactly what I mean.

Fallujah is now synonymous with the sort of heroic resistance that elevated the Palestinians of Jenin to the ranks of the resistance written about in the Paris Communeand the Siege of Leningrad. The US military has banned the playing of any Nasheeds about Fallujah because of the power and the passion it evokes.

If those Nasheeds had sisters running in the streets whooping and dancing, however, the Nasheeds may be encouraged because of haram activity surrounding them.

Quite frankly, I really don't know how anyone in the Ummah can really let go and scream and shout with joy at pleasure domes when there is so much brutality and suffering going on in the world today.

How many will jump up and down and wave their arms in the air, shouting wildly for justice for our kin in Kashmir, Afghanistan, Chechnya, Palestine, and Iraq? There are many more killing fields as well across the Asian and Arab world. Will you climb on theater chairs and express your rage over Guantanamo Bay and other gulags where our brothers and sisters are being tortured, raped, sodomized, beaten, and burned?

Or will you just switch off this concerned sister and switch on to the likes of Sami Yusuf because he can sell you a pipe dream with his soothing words and melodic voice?

ma'laika
05-04-2006, 08:56 AM
Salaalaikm warakh matullahai wabarakatuhu
I just wanted to say that this article is vey true and you can see this kind of behaviour happening all around. Although i have noticed this behaviour before this article, it really opens up a person's eyes.Mashallah this article is truly great and jazakalakhair for sharing this article and its prominent views.

IbnAbdulHakim
05-04-2006, 10:06 AM
dats soo true!! jus recent;y an event was organised on the islam channel and her face was plastered all ova the advert
i dunno why but hypocrite scares me and i get even more scared when i think i mite hav signs of hipocrisy on myself :offended:

Mohsin
05-04-2006, 12:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl

Then there are others like Yusuf Islam (formerly Cat Stevens) and Dawud Wharnsby Ali who maintain some of their musical interests after their conversion.
Yeah but i think they don't actually use musical instruments in their songs, so hence they are nasheeds, which as far as i know are halal right?

Daffodil
05-04-2006, 12:03 PM
Yvonne Ridley
Article ID: 1261 | 213 Reads

Monday, April 24, 2006

Apparently Sami also said one of the selling points of Brand UK was having Muslims in the Metropolitan Police Force! Astagfir'Allah! Dude, these are the same cops who have a shoot-to-kill policy and would have gunned down a Muslim last year if they could tell the difference between a Bangladeshi and a Brazilian. This is the same police force that has raided more than 3000 Muslim homes in Britain since 9/11. What sort of life is there on Planet Sami, I wonder? If he is so proud to be British, why is he living in the great Middle Eastern democracy of Egypt?

Daffodil
05-05-2006, 01:25 PM
sorri.

muslimah_here
05-05-2006, 03:42 PM

hmm I think the best option in my opinion is to go islamic conferences instead of going to nasheed concerts. i myself have heard of sisters going crazy over nasheed artists. U cant say its ok to go crazy over nasheed artist and its not ok to go crazy over pop artists, as muslims we cant be hypocrites. We should try not to fall into the trap of shaitaan, INSHALLAH!

ALLHUMDOLILAH even when I was into bollywood films I never went to any concert for the same reasons. though i do regret that as a teenager bollywood films had a great influence on my life, and most asian muslims I know have major bollywood influence in their life rather than islamic culture.

i PERSONALLY FEEL there shudnt be free mixing of sisters n borthers on concerts if we must have them as a means of entertainment.

ALLAHAFIZ

Hijaabi22
05-05-2006, 05:50 PM
free mixin only occurs if u let it- they have seperate seating sfor men and women but most people concerned about gettin the best view so end up free mixin

Hussein radi
05-06-2006, 12:54 AM
thats horrable

Hijaabi22
05-06-2006, 12:35 PM
wats iz?^

IbnAbdulHakim
05-06-2006, 12:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hussein radi
thats horrable
ye bro it is the worst. Makes you feel deep shame, deep deep shame :(

------
05-06-2006, 12:39 PM
i dunno why but hypocrite scares me and i get even more scared when i think i mite hav signs of hipocrisy on myself :offended:
I agree with u bro :thumbs_up

A(SMILE ITS ME)
05-06-2006, 02:55 PM
salaam,
I dont know i am in 2 minds,
its not harmful,it is publicity.
I PREFER MY CHILDREN LISTENING TO THIS THAN BRITNEY/EMIMEM/BOLLYWOOD FILMS.
But i would not allow them to go too the concerts.
By attending its mixing of the tw genders?.

KHUDHAFIZ

x Maz x
05-06-2006, 02:57 PM
^ Try indrocducing Tawfeeq-As-sayeg, Sudais, Shurainm [Quran recitors] InshAllah WalaykumAsalaam MUSIC IS WRONG . <<< Notice to reader: full stop...x

Ghazi
05-15-2006, 09:21 PM
Salaam

This is why I don't agree with them islamic relief concerts I know it's for a good cause but when I see the ads on islam channel guess what free mixing subhanallah whats with this.

chacha_jalebi
05-15-2006, 09:31 PM
yo yo yo ello

if sum1 says 2 u here is wine drink it, it dnt mean u go & drink, lik ders bare pubs d all d muslims go n drink der? NO :)

d sistas dat danced had a choice, 2 do evil or not, bro sami yusuf was der 2 raise money & notice she says "get up & sing along" so he sed sing along, not dance n throw away ur modesty & respect!!

Hijaabi22
05-16-2006, 12:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
d sistas dat danced had a choice, 2 do evil or not, bro sami yusuf was der 2 raise money & notice she says "get up & sing along" so he sed sing along, not dance n throw away ur modesty & respect!!
big up 2 you bruv!well sed!!

seek.learn
05-16-2006, 01:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
Salaam o alaikum wa rahmatullah,

Allahu Alim.

Indeed, He didnt say that. But when he saw them losing themselves, did he remind them it was inappropriate? He's a man gifted with the ability to use words, as I personally think his lyrics are rather moving. Im sure he couldve found a way to let those sisters understand better. Did he?

No one is to be defended. And all are to blame. It is very rare that the blame can conveniently be put onto one person. However, it also depends entirely on how one looks at it. You say the girls are more to blame since they chose to do what they did. And I agree they are definitely to blame. However, people in the media, the famous faces, they have a higher degree of responsibility. They are Well Aware that they affect the masses. If he did not do his part in telling them to calm down, where as he is surely having them energised, he is to be blamed equally, if not more.

Allahu Alim.
I went into this even though I feel there isnt much of a point to it. Fact is, it only shows the state of our ummah.

May Allah forgive me and us all and guide us. Aameen.

Brother Ansar Al'Adl. I agree with you entirely. A little change in where we focus and it makes all the difference.

May Allah guide our ummah. Aameen.

Alaikum Salaam wa rahmatullah

Ghazi
05-16-2006, 01:06 PM
Salaam

I have a question is it ok for sisters to go and listen to brothers sing

chacha_jalebi
05-16-2006, 02:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth
Salaam

I have a question is it ok for sisters to go and listen to brothers sing
yes if they go wit d rite niyyah :)

muslim@
05-16-2006, 02:33 PM
so long as theres no intermingling...its not different from listening on cd or anything is it.he's nasheeds are pretty fab but we'v got to remember music is haraam.and would'nt we rather listen to the pure music of jannah allah has promised us,than haraam music of today and get punished for it?

Ghazi
05-16-2006, 02:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslim@
so long as theres no intermingling...its not different from listening on cd or anything is it.he's nasheeds are pretty fab but we'v got to remember music is haraam.and would'nt we rather listen to the pure music of jannah allah has promised us,than haraam music of today and get punished for it?

True

chacha_jalebi
05-16-2006, 02:46 PM
im not defendin ne1 lol :)

me jus givin me opinion, how cum weneva a muslim gets famous, other muslims always find a bad tin in dem, :?

my personal view on sami yusuf is dat, he sudnt use music in his nasheeds, HOWEVER he also has a non music version of his album so u can by dat version if u prefer it, also i tink sami yusuf is aimin @ d youths, n lets b honest d youths aint gona listen 2 no nasheed witout a bit of beats in it:p, all d nasheed artists do it, dey mite use d duff & do it but stil der is a beat!! so personally i tink sami yusuf is heavyyyyy :)

now @ d concert, der was a SMALL minority of ppl dancin, n wot can Sami yusuf do bout dat? hes was der 2 raise money not tell dem 2 dance, d sistas sud of fort bout dat demselfs, u cant go round blamin others for ones actions
also i wud jus lik 2 quote sum ayahs from d Quran ....

Surah Al Qalam v 29-31

They said, "Glory be to our Lord. We have transgressed." They started to blame each other. They said, "Woe to us. We sinned.

on d day of judgement, dey will blame each ova 4 der actions, so basically u cnt blame others 4 ones deeds :)

x Maz x
05-16-2006, 02:49 PM
Sorry but it takes two to tango, he encouraged them and they responded, sad relaity....Peace!..x

x Maz x
05-16-2006, 02:51 PM
What can he do? your right he didnt say come and join me on stage i very much enjoy your company but he didnt say 'maintain respect ang gaurd you modesty and fear Allah and leme do my friggn ting'...excuse me but bluntly he encouraged...Peace! x

Ghazi

I think islam channel needs to ask those sheiks they've got on 'Q&A' about the neesheds they play on that channel, it's ironic.

chacha_jalebi
yeee but he didnt encourage dem 2 dance!!!

he sud hav jus stopped singin lol, i dunno Allah (swt) knows best :)

may Allah (swt) 4giv us alll

x Maz x
05-16-2006, 02:54 PM
Yes his singing which includes a string of musical instruments *eyes rolly*...talk about implementing the examples set by the Kufaar toba tobah!...Allahu Alim, Yup Islam-truth breda aggree with you Respect! x

Hijaabi22
05-16-2006, 02:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by x Maz x
Sorry but it takes two to tango, he encouraged them and they responded, sad relaity....Peace!..x
Bro sami did nothin 2 encourage them........ the only thing he did was blow them a few kisses hahahahahahaha he did i swear down....in bradford anyways

BUT the bro shudnt be blamed for the actions of those pathetic girls that DANCED! Astagfirullah wat were they thinkin!!! And i thought I was bad! Tauba!!

Before judginfg the bro I think U shud all listen to wat hes gotta say and if U watched th two part Sami Y interview on Islam Channel a few weeks bak then im sure youd all understand that the bro doesnt want all this fame, he doesnt want all thses gitls droolin over him, he jus does wat he does purely 4 the sake of islam so therefore thats the only reason why I stik up 4 him.....alos im a big fan :okay: :okay:

Leave the bro alooooooone!

Hijaabi22
05-16-2006, 02:57 PM
Yes his singing which includes a string of musical instruments *eyes rolly*...talk about implementing the examples set by the Kufaar toba tobah!...Allahu Alim, Yup Islam-truth breda aggree with you Respect! x
HE HAD A LIVE PERCUSSION BAND!

Ghazi
05-16-2006, 03:01 PM

I think they're should be people of knowladge over-seeing such events that'd sort things out I'd doubt sisters would dance if a sheik was at the event. LOL

x Maz x
05-16-2006, 03:02 PM
I will conclude with one hadeeth ...infact make that two :)...Ponder over them...

Abu Sa'eed al-Khudri related that the Prophet [Pbuh] said: Whoever observes something wrong should change it with his hands. If he is unable to do so, then he should speak against it with his tongue. If he is unable to do even that, then he shold atleast resent it with his heart-and this is the lowest level of faith. [Related by Muslim]

Abu Mas'ud al-Ansari related that the Prophet [Pbuh] said: Whoever guides someone towards good will recieve the rewards of the one who acts upon it. [Related by Muslim]

Hijaabi22
05-16-2006, 03:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth

I think they're should be people of knowladge over-seeing such events that'd sort things out I'd doubt sisters would dance if a sheik was at the event. LOL
lol wat wud the sheikh do??? Thereve bin so amny events like this b4 why the big fuss now? No other islamic nasheed concert Ive bin 2 has caused such a commotion.....:rollseyes

Hijaabi22
05-16-2006, 03:04 PM
I will conclude with one hadeeth ...infact make that two :)...Ponder over them...
Abu Sa'eed al-Khudri related that the Prophet [Pbuh] said: Whoever observes something wrong should change it with his hands. If he is unable to do so, then he should speak against it with his tongue. If he is unable to do even that, then he shold atleast resent it with his heart-and this is the lowest level of faith. [Related by Muslim]

Abu Mas'ud al-Ansari related that the Prophet [Pbuh] said: Whoever guidese someone towards good will recieve the rewards of the one who acts upon it. [Related by Muslim]
MashaAllah jazakaallah

Ghazi
05-16-2006, 03:06 PM
lol wat wud the sheikh do??? Thereve bin so amny events like this b4 why the big fuss now? No other islamic nasheed concert Ive bin 2 has caused such a commotion.....:rollseyes
Salaam

Go to your local mosque and observed how people act around the imam

x Maz x
05-16-2006, 03:08 PM
One final comment...
ALLAHU ALIM...
MashAllah we have acknowledged that both parties were in the wrong, they will be paid their wages in full on the Day...their final business is left with Allah, Verily He is the knower of what is concealed in their hearts Peace! x

Hijaabi22
05-16-2006, 03:08 PM
That was jus his way of showin his appreciation of all the support he got, the bro cudnt even SING cos of all the dumb girls screamin!!!

No really considerin the amount of screams he got the bro handled it well, he was bein as modest as he cud

he strated off praisin Allah in his little speech and finished off by prasin Allah(swt) and his prophet(pbuh0 now wat does that say eh?

anyways mai bootha band karsaa unn

Silver Pearl
05-16-2006, 06:43 PM
The message posted originally by Far7an was indeed beneficial and an eye opener. However, I’m saddened to see the direction in which this thread is heading towards. Not only are we taking our time to critise Muslims we are also stating errors of our fellow brothers and sisters. Is not Allah (subhana wa ta’ala) the one who conceals our sins?

God will not show mercy to him who does not show mercy to others.
(Bukhari, Muslim).

It seems evidently clear that most of us are intrigued by slandering others, enough is enough.

This thread will be closed until further notice, in the mean time I hope all the contributors to this thread re-read all their post and take some time to reflect on what is going on with the ummah. We don’t need people to state the problem, we’re already aware of that, we need people who will find solution and contribute in a good manner.

Alhamdulillahi wahdahu, wa salatu wa salamu 3la man la nabiee ba3dahu.

:threadclo

:wasalamex

islamirama
09-18-2010, 02:28 AM

May 10, 2006

The source of all this adulation was British-born Sami Yusuf, who is so proud of his claret-colored passport that he wants us all to wave the Union Jacks. I'm amazed he didn't encourage his fans to sing "Land of Hope and Glory." Brother Sami asked his audience to cheer if they were proud to be British, and when they responded loudly, he said he couldn't hear them and asked them to cheer again.

Fallujah is now synonymous with the sort of heroic resistance that elevated the Palestinians of Jenin to the ranks of the resistance written about in the Paris Commune and the Siege of Leningrad. The US military has banned the playing of any Nasheeds about Fallujah because of the power and the passion it evokes.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.